Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lake of the Ozarks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 iutodd

iutodd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 367117
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

Headed to the Lake of the Ozarks with the family in early September. Looking to play golf twice.

It seems like I Old Kinderhook should be one of the courses I play from what I've researched so far. I'm leaning towards Osage National for the other but I thought I'd ask my fellow WRXers if there was another course I should consider.

Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 sabram

sabram

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Old Kinderhook is a very good course. I played it a couple of weeks ago after a deluge and had a blast. Lots of variety, elevation changes and fun holes. Here's a link to a full photo tour.  https://www.flickr.c...157683832572162

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #4 from tee

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #7 par 3 152 yards

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #8 from tee

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #8 x approach

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #14 h approach from right rough

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #15 from tee zoomed

Posted Image
Old Kinderhook #18 par 5 second shot decisions-decisions

#3 kamizzou91

kamizzou91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49505
  • Handicap:10.5
  • Ebay ID:kamizzou91
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

Definitely play Old Kinderhook, by far the best public course at the Lake.   I haven't played Osage National in a few years, but it is a good track.  If you play there go for the River and Mountain 9's, and skip the Links 9 if only going for 18 and not all 27.  The Oaks at Tan-Tara-A was in decent shape last time I played it, so there is another option.
Titleist 915 D2 9.5
Titleist 915F 16.5
Titleist 816H1 21
Titleist AP1 716 4-AW
Vokey SM6 54, 60 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport

#4 PuttCurseRepeat

PuttCurseRepeat

It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397914
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

I played the Palmer course at Osage National several years ago.  I have vague memories of it, but I thought it was a decent course with a couple of memorable moments.  There was a second (or 3rd) approach shot to a green, as downhill as I've ever seen and I remember playing a par three and a par four along the river with tall, steep cliffs with houses on top, on the opposite shore.

I also played the RTJ Cove course and remember liking that better.  The par 3 cove hole was a lot of fun.  Its a big, rolling course - on better land for golf than Osage National.  Osage National felt more gimmicky to me.

#5 iutodd

iutodd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

Thanks guys. Old Kinderhook for sure then. I'm glad my internet skills led me right on that one.

And I think I might check out the RTJ Cove Course - there is an Arnold Palmer course I play a decent amount near where I live and I didn't realize he designed Osage - be nice to get a different designer.

Thanks again.  I'm going in less than a month and I'm quite excited.

#6 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

If you have any private connections try to get on The Club at Porto Cima. If you want a really good value course Eldon Golf Club is a neat little track. A lot of times you can get tee times for under $20. It's no Kinderhook or Osage National but it was in great shape and a fun layout in my opinion.

#7 Cooke

Cooke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129791
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

Osage National is phenomenal. I play it every time I go there. Make sure to hit the River Mountain though.

#8 iutodd

iutodd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Wanted to say thanks again for all the advice.

We stayed near the Village of the Four Seasons so I drove by The Cove and The Ridge a lot so it was hard not to want to play them.

Played Old Kinderhook. Had a great time but it was a WEIRD weather day-fog and rain clouds on the back then HOT and 100% humidity in the sun on the front (played back first). I liked the back nine a lot more than the front.  The front just didn't feel as natural as the back for whatever reason. 12-18 was flat out awesome.

Then I jumped on The Ridge one afternoon because it was cheap and wide open - I actually really enjoyed it even though it's not the Cove.  Played the backs at 6500 yards but a lot of big elevation changes. I actually really liked the par 3s which normally I don't - they used the water really well and the angle of the greens depending upon the tee box used.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice everyone.  The Ridge is worth checking out if you get to play twice while you're down there.

#9 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

View Postiutodd, on 03 October 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

We stayed near the Village of the Four Seasons so I drove by The Cove and The Ridge a lot so it was hard not to want to play them.

Played Old Kinderhook. Had a great time but it was a WEIRD weather day-fog and rain clouds on the back then HOT and 100% humidity in the sun on the front (played back first). I liked the back nine a lot more than the front.  The front just didn't feel as natural as the back for whatever reason. 12-18 was flat out awesome.

Then I jumped on The Ridge one afternoon because it was cheap and wide open - I actually really enjoyed it even though it's not the Cove.  Played the backs at 6500 yards but a lot of big elevation changes. I actually really liked the par 3s which normally I don't - they used the water really well and the angle of the greens depending upon the tee box used.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice everyone.  The Ridge is worth checking out if you get to play twice while you're down there.

What was the condition of Kinderhook like? I am playing there this Saturday for the first time.

#10 br61

br61

Hackin' Hall of Shame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49
  • Handicap:Work
  • Ebay ID:br-61
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

View Postjli2636, on 04 October 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

What was the condition of Kinderhook like? I am playing there this Saturday for the first time.

A friend played in a tourney there couple weeks ago. He said it was in very good condition. Most nicer courses around here usually are in good condition at this time of the year.

I live just 50 miles from it and always enjoyed playing Old Kinderhook.

A bag of hacking utensils

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

View Postbr61, on 04 October 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

A friend played in a tourney there couple weeks ago. He said it was in very good condition. Most nicer courses around here usually are in good condition at this time of the year.

Yeah, I am in Columbia but have never had a chance to play there before. I am really looking forward to it!

#12 AMM315

AMM315

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417662
  • Ebay ID:amichael03
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

I heard Jason Bateman lives down there and launders money for the cartel, be careful.

Those course pictures look like a great track!

#13 dikaia22

dikaia22

Treat Yo'Self!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41004
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

If I was going to rank the courses down there from several years of an Annual Guys trip I would have to say

Kinderhook
Porta Cima
Osage National
(Witches)Cove
Lake Valley (Good Value and always in good shape, 6 Par 3's, 6 Par 4's, 6 Par 5's, makes for fun money games)
Bear Creek Valley
Seasons Ridge
Oaks
Sycamore Creek
Dogwood Hills
Kyle

2017 TM M1 440 8.5*, Matrix Black Tie 70M4X
TM RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
TM SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,60 DG S-400
Scotty Cameron NP2 Dual Balance 35.5, Superstroke Pistol GTR Tour, 50G Countercore

#14 Symphonize

Symphonize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470664
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

View Postjli2636, on 04 October 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Yeah, I am in Columbia but have never had a chance to play there before. I am really looking forward to it!

I am coming to Columbia next week to visit my girlfriend, but she works on Thursday and it is my birthday so I'm going to go play. Anywhere you recommend playing 18 at?

#15 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostSymphonize, on 04 October 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

I am coming to Columbia next week to visit my girlfriend, but she works on Thursday and it is my birthday so I'm going to go play. Anywhere you recommend playing 18 at?

If you have any private connections I would try to get on at Old Hawthorne. If you are looking for public I would rank the courses in the area like this:

Eagle Knoll(Hartsburg, about 20 minutes south)
Tanglewood(25-30 minutes east)
Redfield(45 minutes or sou south, just past Jeff City)

These 3 are easily a step above any other public course in the area. Eagle Knoll is a tougher test, conditioning has been spotty this year but still decent. Tanglewood is always the best conditioned course in the area in my opinion. These 2 are also going to be your more expensive options. Redfield is the only course in the area that I know of that has bent grass fairways if thats more your style, everything else is Zoysia. Cool layout, pretty open but really fun.

AL Gustin(on campus): SUPER hilly. Fun course with a few quirky holes, but I always enjoy playing here. Greens usually are pretty good, and conditioning is the best of any course within city limits

Hail Ridge(Boonville, about 20 minutes east of Columbia): This one is kind of a wild card. The property sat dormant for 5 months and then someone bought it and is putting money into it. From what it was when I played it early this year to what it is now, its gotten a lot better. New cart fleet, redone clubhouse, fairways are usually in good shape, really fun layout. They had something in the greens though since the previous owner didnt leave any kind of list of what chemicals were used when they still had it, but they are getting better and the greens do roll well in the spots that didnt have the fungus or whatever it was. Probably my favorite layout based on just layout alone.

City munis Lake of the Woods and LA Nickell, standard muni courses, nothing special and wouldnt waste my time personally.

There are other local courses, but not really worth mentioning IMO. You can PM me if you have any other questions! If I didnt have to work I would come join you!

#16 kamizzou91

kamizzou91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49505
  • Handicap:10.5
  • Ebay ID:kamizzou91
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

Seeing your Purdue avatar, you missed the correct weekend as a Boiler to be in Columbia as you could've witnessed the beatdown administered to my Tigers a few weeks ago.  Anyway, I would echo all of jli2636's sentiments above.  Also, one additional option even if you don't have private connections is Columbia Country Club.  While it is private, I was able to book a tee time through Boxgroove when I went back for a game a few weeks ago.  I think it was around $65 if that is in your price range.   Fun course which was in great shape.  Plus, I used to work there in my college days many years ago so it brought back some memories.  Anyway, have fun and enjoy CoMo.

Edited by kamizzou91, 05 October 2017 - 12:38 PM.

Titleist 915 D2 9.5
Titleist 915F 16.5
Titleist 816H1 21
Titleist AP1 716 4-AW
Vokey SM6 54, 60 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport

#17 Symphonize

Symphonize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postkamizzou91, on 05 October 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

Seeing your Purdue avatar, you missed the correct weekend as a Boiler to be in Columbia as you could've witnessed the beatdown administered to my Tigers a few weeks ago.  Anyway, I would echo all of jli2636's sentiments above.  Also, one additional option even if you don't have private connections is Columbia Country Club.  While it is private, I was able to book a tee time through Boxgroove when I went back for a game a few weeks ago.  I think it was around $65 if that is in your price range.   Fun course which was in great shape.  Plus, I used to work there in my college days many years ago so it brought back some memories.  Anyway, have fun and enjoy CoMo.

Thank you and jli2636 for all your recommendations. I will look into those options you guys mentioned. I would say I am looking to spend up to $50-60 on a round, although I would pay up to a $100 for a really nice course. It's my birthday, I can treat myself.

And I had been planning on coming to the Purdue Mizzou game for months and would have had some connections for some great seats to the game, but a family party came up so I wasn't able to make it down. I was so bummed I couldn't make it down there for the game, especially after the smackdown we gave you guys :tongue:

Edit: looks like Columbia Country Club requires a minimum of two people to play. And unfortunately no private connections yet to try to get on there or Old hawthorne. One day, hopefully someday soon

Edited by Symphonize, 09 October 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#18 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostSymphonize, on 09 October 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Thank you and jli2636 for all your recommendations. I will look into those options you guys mentioned. I would say I am looking to spend up to $50-60 on a round, although I would pay up to a $100 for a really nice course. It's my birthday, I can treat myself.

And I had been planning on coming to the Purdue Mizzou game for months and would have had some connections for some great seats to the game, but a family party came up so I wasn't able to make it down. I was so bummed I couldn't make it down there for the game, especially after the smackdown we gave you guys :tongue:

Edit: looks like Columbia Country Club requires a minimum of two people to play. And unfortunately no private connections yet to try to get on there or Old hawthorne. One day, hopefully someday soon

Yeah, unfortunately the Mid-Missouri area outside of the lake is really lacking for that top tier type of public course. If you are willing to drive an hour and a half or so each way down to the lake, that opens up your options. Tons of quality golf down there.

#19 Symphonize

Symphonize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postjli2636, on 10 October 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

View PostSymphonize, on 09 October 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Yeah, unfortunately the Mid-Missouri area outside of the lake is really lacking for that top tier type of public course. If you are willing to drive an hour and a half or so each way down to the lake, that opens up your options. Tons of quality golf down there.

I looked into lake of the ozarks but wasn't really feeling a 90 minute drive. From the looks and other recommendations, I'll probably end up at Eagle Knoll or Tanglewood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors