Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Juniors in club championship

84 replies to this topic

#61 mbs_59

mbs_59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429122
  • Handicap:+1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

I would let him play.  My club as a junior golfer only let you play once you were 18.  However, the year I turned 18 they moved it to the end of August so that all of the college kids would be gone (we had several good college players at the time).  That always frustrated me to no end; the club would make no effort to get the best players there play the club championship.  Isn't the point of a club championship to identify the best player at the club?  If that's a kid, so be it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 11719

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

cant imagine why he couldnt play is hes on his families membership......  anyone saying otherwise just doesnt want the competition....

our club offers a single membership....a corporate membership that will allow a 4 some at a time occumpanied by a company employee listed on the membership to play and then the family membership....which includes range membership.... includes original signing member a spouse and any child until age 21 OR as long as living at home... so kid can retain membership  after high  school even if he moves out for college.... i undertand all clubs arent this way.. But honestly they should be ....

Edited by bladehunter, 16 August 2017 - 10:33 PM.

17 M2  V2 Tour 10.5  Fuji Atmos Black 6X   Green Graphic special edition
17 M1 15  Graphite Design   ADDI 8X
Titleist TMB 2 Graphite Design 105X prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 4-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw 52 56 60 S400
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights

#63 Cooke

Cooke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129791
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:18 PM

Geez. Let him play for cripes sakes. Why does common sense get forgotten at these clubs?  I swear, there’s way too many folks out there doing everything possible to halt the growth of the game and keep it the novelty it used to be.

#64 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

View Postbuckeyefl, on 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Have the parents pony up the dough for a full membership for the kid. Problem solved?

No, I want someone who gets the benefits of a full membership to have to pay the full membership price

If I am paying a premium for a service I don't want the membership rules bent just because someone's kid is good

These were all said in reference to "on the premises that tourneys are for full members only and as a junior he is not a full member. ... they are "technically " correct". Sorry, not ridiculous if those are the current rules.

#65 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 15 August 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Hey guys just curious for those are you who are members at a private club do tou allow juniors to play in your club championship. ??

The reason i ask is up my club we have one of the top Junior players in the state . Currently carrying a 0.8 index. Just shot 70-70-73 in the state juniot and he wants to play in the club championship. I personally have no problem with him playing but some members are trying to block him from playing on the premises  that tourneys are for full members only and as a junior he is not a full member.

Althoug they are "technically " correct i have always felt that the club championship is the one tournament that shud be open to all members .

Funny thing about it is most the people making a beef have no shot to win anyways . As a 2 time club champ winner and some1 on the short list of contenders i want him in . I want to win knowing i beat the best  players in the club regardless of age or club status .

Our club has struggled with this over the last several years.  We've been fortunate to have a string of high level D1 golfers (2 Alabama, 2 Ole Miss, 2 Mississippi St.) flowing through our program recently.  All these kids wanted, at different stages, to play in the Men's Club Championship.  And none of the men could beat them.  We've settled on a policy, that I don't particularly like, that the Junior Club Champion gets a spot in the Men's Club Championship.  And that's it.  We've had juniors win the event the last 4 years, and none of the men are even close to them.

This situation is also an anomoly.  Most of these kids graduated this past May and the last two will graduate over the next two years.

I was a much better example as a high school golfer of what most clubs deal with.  I was good, but I wasn't college good.  When I was a teen, our club allowed any junior that wanted to sign up for the Club Championship.  Back then, all entrants played the same set of tees day 1.  After day 1, the top 16 players were put into the championship division and moved back to the tips for the last two rounds.  If a junior made the championship division cut then they were allowed to finish the tournament.  If they didn't, then they weren't allowed to play the last two days.

#66 Sling

Sling

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

We have all been coming from this one way, but what happens if the junior shows no interest in playing in the club championship? I mean for my son he's more interested in playing in the State's or the AJGA, why play against inferior golfers and get no ranking points? The same golfers who don't want the juniors to play in their championship would end up being the first to claim someone as their own if they ended up playing on the Tour.

Anyway enough, we've gone round in circles by now, some clubs and members are very 'rule based' and care about that most of all. I'm glad I've never been a member of such a place.

#67 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostSling, on 17 August 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

We have all been coming from this one way, but what happens if the junior shows no interest in playing in the club championship? I mean for my son he's more interested in playing in the State's or the AJGA, why play against inferior golfers and get no ranking points? The same golfers who don't want the juniors to play in their championship would end up being the first to claim someone as their own if they ended up playing on the Tour.

Anyway enough, we've gone round in circles by now, some clubs and members are very 'rule based' and care about that most of all. I'm glad I've never been a member of such a place.

All of our juniors want to win it.  Once.  And then move on.  They're playing in the damn US Am, Jones Cup, US Junior Am, Junior PGA Championship, Sage Valley, etc.  What the hell do they care about beating a bunch of middle aged drunk guys?

#68 danzur

danzur

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179544
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

Without getting into the continual misunderstanding if we are talking about "junior golfers", or "junior members" (which are completely different), our Club does not allow "non-members" to play in the Club Championship.  A member at our club is defined as the person who purchased the membership and their spouse.  Kids can play/practice at the Club on their parents membership until age 26 I believe. The "junior golfer" program ends at age 18-so there certainly is a gap.

Our Club only allows "members" to play in the Club Championship-a tournament our son would love to play in. Our Club is filled with current pros, ex-pros, and numerous tournament tested players, so he would be competitive, but no assurance he would win, actually it is probably very unlikely-it would be great experience for him however.

That said-if they did allow members children to play, it would open the floodgates to PGA players, Web.com players, Canadian Tour players, and numerous college players-not what the membership likely wants to see-it would turn into a mini USAm.  Most of these "kids" likely couldn't play in the Club Championship anyway as they are busy playing the big USGA events, pro events, State events, etc.

That said-our club fully, 100% supports these kids and their journey. Club is theirs to play in every way except for a couple of tournaments.  Open to bring non-member friends to practice anytime. Short of not being able to play in just a couple of events, I cannot imagine a better place for a "junior golfer" to grow up. I have no issue with the Club excluding them from the Club Championship.

Edited by danzur, 17 August 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#69 Shotts

Shotts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478100
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

View Postlarrybud, on 15 August 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

My old club has two college players (at least one of which is on here) who play in it.  I don't have a problem (humble brag: I beat one of them in the finals in 2015, so anything is possible! lol), but I know some of the other guys were grumbling.

I said to them as my brother used to say to me "play better".

Like this "play better", as I've said the same many of times.  Years back our club had the same issue, many of the members didn't want a few younger chaps "juniors" playing for the same reason as the OP had mentioned.  My argument was simple, "As members we should be promoting the game in every way for our juniors male/female.  They're the future of the game we all love and also a way to keep our club active for years going forward.".

#70 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3830

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

"Future of the game"? What a load for this discussion.  None of those kids are going to quit the game because they didn't get to go out and beat up on a bunch of middle aged men.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 danzur

danzur

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179544
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 17 August 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

View PostSling, on 17 August 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

All of our juniors want to win it.  Once.  And then move on.  They're playing in the damn US Am, Jones Cup, US Junior Am, Junior PGA Championship, Sage Valley, etc.  What the hell do they care about beating a bunch of middle aged drunk guys?

Great point-now that I think about it, even though our son wanted to play in the Club Championship-he couldn't have.  He was playing in the State Amateur that weekend, which he qualified for from the USAm qualifier. You're right, if they are playing at a high level competitively they have more important places to be.

#72 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 16 August 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 16 August 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostDLiver, on 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

yep we allow it- why wouldnt you? its the CLUB championship, he's a member of the club so he qualifies.

You cant (legitimately) call yourself a 'Club Champion' if it's a closed shop and club members cant play.

This. The club champion is the best playing member at the club. No staff, but open to all members regardless of age or gender.

Staff are there to run the tournament and are employee's no  reason for them to play.

That is part of being a Pro you don't play with amateurs they have there tournaments they can play in.  I don't see anything wrong with only allowing amateurs to play in a club championship as well or limiting how many years you can win it. Not much a championship if a PGA pro is a member and wins every year.

Sorry tiger you can't play the masters anymore you've won it too many times in your careear ....

The masters is different then a Club Championship it's Pro tournament where the best players in golf compete. The club championship is just really bragging rights for people.  If someone wins 5 years in a row I can see how other members would get upset. I think it is only an issue if they won every year in a row.  We had a top amateur win at out club this year. I think it is great but if he turned pro and smoked everyone every year for more then 2 or 3 years and then bragged about it would get old after a while. At that point lots of people simply would not compete. Having different club champions makes things much more interesting.

#73 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 2365

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

Sorry if someone else has already posted this--I didn't read through the thread, but this is what we do:

Junior CC is for 17 and under, regular CC is for 18+, senior CC is for 50+.   If a senior wants to play in the regular CC they're more than welcome to.  Likewise, if a junior wants to play in the regular CC they're also more than welcome to.  Pretty straight forward really.

OP, the members wanting to keep the kid out of the regular CC are trying to avoid having their egos bruised when a 17 year old smokes them IMO.  Screw them.  Let the kid play.

#74 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 17 August 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 16 August 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 16 August 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostDLiver, on 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

yep we allow it- why wouldnt you? its the CLUB championship, he's a member of the club so he qualifies.

You cant (legitimately) call yourself a 'Club Champion' if it's a closed shop and club members cant play.

This. The club champion is the best playing member at the club. No staff, but open to all members regardless of age or gender.

Staff are there to run the tournament and are employee's no  reason for them to play.

That is part of being a Pro you don't play with amateurs they have there tournaments they can play in.  I don't see anything wrong with only allowing amateurs to play in a club championship as well or limiting how many years you can win it. Not much a championship if a PGA pro is a member and wins every year.

Sorry tiger you can't play the masters anymore you've won it too many times in your careear ....

The masters is different then a Club Championship it's Pro tournament where the best players in golf compete. The club championship is just really bragging rights for people.  If someone wins 5 years in a row I can see how other members would get upset. I think it is only an issue if they won every year in a row.  We had a top amateur win at out club this year. I think it is great but if he turned pro and smoked everyone every year for more then 2 or 3 years and then bragged about it would get old after a while. At that point lots of people simply would not compete. Having different club champions makes things much more interesting.
So is the premise off the club championship not to determine the best player at that particular club ?

#75 landolakes

landolakes

Advanced

• 441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357789
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Our club championship is for members - not kids of members. I am fine if they competed in the championship, but it has never been an issue.
Juniors (not Jr members) have their own championship through HS, and only have a few years of limbo until they need to join on their own.

#76 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

The kid is in . 👍
Now i hope he finishes runner up to me of course lol

#77 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 2365

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 17 August 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

The kid is in . ��
Now i hope he finishes runner up to me of course lol

lol.  That's exactly the right attitude to have about it....though of course I'd also add my good wishes for him totally and completely waxing each and every old fart member who didn't want him to play--and that's me speaking as an old fart myself!    :good:

#78 FSUGolfdog

FSUGolfdog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2204

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

Just had this situation ay my club, my son (a +2.6 18 yr old) could not play in the club championship last weekend, he's on my family membership so he is not considered a member.  I didn't say anything because the rules state the participant has to be a member.  There have been other tournaments in the past I've asked if he could participate in and the rules have been stated to me that he can not, that was mostly due to age.  I wish he could have played last weekend but oh well.

#79 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 788

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

View PostFSUGolfdog, on 17 August 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Just had this situation ay my club, my son (a +2.6 18 yr old) could not play in the club championship last weekend, he's on my family membership so he is not considered a member.  I didn't say anything because the rules state the participant has to be a member.  There have been other tournaments in the past I've asked if he could participate in and the rules have been stated to me that he can not, that was mostly due to age.  I wish he could have played last weekend but oh well.

Here is the question I have.  If it is a family membership the entire family should be allowed.  If you are on the membership does that allow spouses to play in the women's club championship?  So if you wife doesn't play can the kid play in the championship?  This literally makes no sense to me even if it is in the rules.  Do you pay more for the family membership?

#80 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 7,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3830

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 August 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Here is the question I have.  If it is a family membership the entire family should be allowed.  If you are on the membership does that allow spouses to play in the women's club championship?  So if you wife doesn't play can the kid play in the championship?  This literally makes no sense to me even if it is in the rules.  Do you pay more for the family membership?

That's a good question HH, and I guess what it really boils down to. How each particular club classifies a member.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 FSUGolfdog

FSUGolfdog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2204

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've never asked about spouses, I got out of that bad situation years ago.  :). I'm just guessing but I think they consider the husband and wife as the members.  I get what you are asking and it doesn't make much sense.

#82 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 788

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:40 AM

View PostFSUGolfdog, on 17 August 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

I've never asked about spouses, I got out of that bad situation years ago.  :). I'm just guessing but I think they consider the husband and wife as the members.  I get what you are asking and it doesn't make much sense.

I would be a little ticked if I were you.  LOL.  If  it is a family membership and you are divorced then why couldn't your son take her place?  Isn't that equitable regardless of what the rules state?

#83 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 251

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

When I think of a junior member, I consider that to be someone 18 years or younger and not the child of an adult member.  I completely understand if the members do not allow those junior members to compete.  My club has varying levels of membership and only member and their kids of the top membership class can compete for the club championship.  In addition, the qualifying for the club championship and junior club championship run simultaneously from different tees.  So if a member's child is eligible for both, he/she has to choose one or the other.  I'm not really a fan of making them choose but I guess they have their reasons.

#84 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

So junior shot 75-70 this weekend and took the fifth seed heading into next weekend match play . Being that i sm #3 seed we wouldn't have a chance to. Meet until the finals

Glad he qualified even though i never doubted he. Would. He opens up with 1 of our most hated member first match . The guy is such a ego maniac and wen he drinks it gets worse  . Problem  is he can play (shot 72-72 this weekend). Junior  has his hands full  saturday morning .

#85 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Junior lost 1 down . He and his opponent were around even pr for the match. I wud say he represented himself well. Was 5 over for 54 holes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors