Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Juniors in club championship


84 replies to this topic

#31 Sling

Sling

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
  • Joined: 04/30/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostHatsForBats, on 15 August 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 15 August 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Did I miss a post about it being the child of a member with reduced privileges or something? The OP just mentions he's a junior member of the club I thought.

We have cases at our club where it's actually the reverse, the adults take reduced memberships so their kids can be members

He mentions he is a top junior player in the state which is 18 or younger in Massachusetts. Assume it's that way in all states. OP goes on further to say "on the premises  that tourneys are for full members only and as a junior he is not a full member. ... they are "technically " correct".

My Father never played golf, I joined my club on my own as a Junior member aged 15. There is an assumption being made by some that one or both parents are members, that does not have to be the case.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 MikekiM

MikekiM

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
  • Joined: 03/15/2016
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

Our club championship is open to any member 18+, however we also have a junior club championship for 5-17yo's.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

2

#33 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4930

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Best player regardless of age. ... that's my opinion

Some guys at my old club quit the club c over a 17 year old playing .. they were pathetic
TaylorMade '16 m2 11* Fuji Motore TS 6.2x
TaylorMade '17 m1 15* 3HL Fuji TS 8.2s
Callaway GBB '16 3w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
Callaway Apex 4h & 5h Kuro Kage 80s
PIng s55 6 - PW Nippon Tour 1150GH x
Vokey SM2 50* & 54*M TVD s400
Vokey SM5 58*M & 62*T s400
Titleist Scotty Cameron X7m

3

#34 squarre

squarre

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2621
  • Joined: 07/14/2005
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Ebay ID:squarre
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

The "Young Adult" champion can play in ours. Basically juniors and college kids.  Has been that way since I was a junior. Always made it a big deal to win.
Ping Anser 8.5 GD AD-BB
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 15 Blueboard
Titleist 913H 19*
Ping I E1 4-9 Nippon Modus 120
Ping Glide 47 & 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

4

#35 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Our club has a junior membership and they are not allowed to play in the club championship because they are not considered full members and do not have full membership privileges.  They pay around $500.00 a year, have full access to the practice facility any time they want, can walk at no charge in the afternoon when the course isn't busy.

I have a full family membership which allows any family member that is in college or younger to play in the club championship.  

My daughter played as a 15 year old, wasn't very good at the time and came in third.  During the next year she improved, a lot.  After the day she signed up as a 16 year old half the woman withdrew because they knew she would win.  

Next year I am contemplating playing my  12 year old son just to prove a point.  I am only going to play him only if he continues to gain distance and can drive the  ball at least 250.  The jackasses at our club play from 6400 yards all year long.  Then for some reason the golf committee decides to play the club championship from the tips which is around 6800 yards.  With it being 6800 yards there are less than 5 guys at the club that have a chance to win it.  Best score in the club championship the past two years is a 75.  I want the 12 year old to prove the point that the cocky sob's that think they are good at our club really aren't that great.  

The reason the adults don't want the kids to play is because they don't want to be embarrassed.


5

#36 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Joined: 01/18/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

Hey guys thanks for the input to clarify things when i say "junior member" i do mean a kid . I believe he is 17. Bis family are members at the club snd he has a junior membership which has Some playing restrictions. No playing befofe. 4 pm friday thru Sunday.

We do also hAve a Junior  club champ which is open to All  juniors 18 and under that he won by a smooth 9 shots lol.

Junior members pay a significant amount less . Full  golf is $2450 aT my club and junior members can be added on for . $550 per child I believe.

Edited by MoneyPlayer33, 16 August 2017 - 12:58 AM.


6

#37 MyShortGameSucks

MyShortGameSucks

    His doesn't....

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18898
  • Joined: 09/05/2006
  • Location:North Andover, MA
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:Yippy77
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:36 AM

Our club alternates the Men's CC format each year between Matchplay and 54 hole stroke play. My son is 13 and made the semi-finals of the Men's Club Championship this year.  His goal beforehand was just to qualify for the last 16 of Matchplay so it was a lot of fun for him to get as far as he did.

All the members I talked too  and the people he played against were all totally supportive of him entering and generous in their praise for his golf game, on-course behavior and etiquette.   I am glad and very appreciative that my club and its membership encourages junior golf.
Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
Titleist 917F2 15 deg, Rogue Max 75
Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H  
Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7,  Tour 8-PW.  Nippon Modus 105x
Vokey SM6: 50F, 54S and 60K, Nippon Modus 120S
SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback

7

#38 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:19 AM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 16 August 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

Hey guys thanks for the input to clarify things when i say "junior member" i do mean a kid . I believe he is 17. Bis family are members at the club snd he has a junior membership which has Some playing restrictions. No playing befofe. 4 pm friday thru Sunday.

We do also hAve a Junior  club champ which is open to All  juniors 18 and under that he won by a smooth 9 shots lol.

Junior members pay a significant amount less . Full  golf is $2450 aT my club and junior members can be added on for . $550 per child I believe.

If it is an add on to the full membership of a parent, then no question he should be able to play.  It would be like if the USGA decided to discriminate against juniors from qualifying for the Amateur or Open because of age.  If the members don't like it then they should have a senior or mid am division so they can keep their parking places.

8

#39 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Joined: 01/23/2014
  • Location:between a chair and monitor!
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 669

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

yep we allow it- why wouldnt you? its the CLUB championship, he's a member of the club so he qualifies.


You cant (legitimately) call yourself a 'Club Champion' if it's a closed shop and club members cant play.





p.s I set up my own 'club' a few years ago and I've won the club championship 10 years running, I also hold the course record and every trophy there is to win at my club........in my garden

9

#40 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Joined: 07/18/2016
  • Location:Philly Burbs
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 16 August 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

If it is an add on to the full membership of a parent, then no question he should be able to play.  It would be like if the USGA decided to discriminate against juniors from qualifying for the Amateur or Open because of age.  If the members don't like it then they should have a senior or mid am division so they can keep their parking places.

If there are restrictions on the membership, which the OP has stated there are, then obviously there is a question but you just don't want to see it. Even if the only restriction was Juniors cannot play in the club championship that would be valid. As you can see throughout the thread there are clubs that do not allow juniors to play in the club championship. There are also clubs that do. There is no one right answer for every club.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Sling

Sling

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
  • Joined: 04/30/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 16 August 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

If it is an add on to the full membership of a parent, then no question he should be able to play.  It would be like if the USGA decided to discriminate against juniors from qualifying for the Amateur or Open because of age.  If the members don't like it then they should have a senior or mid am division so they can keep their parking places.

If there are restrictions on the membership, which the OP has stated there are, then obviously there is a question but you just don't want to see it. Even if the only restriction was Juniors cannot play in the club championship that would be valid. As you can see throughout the thread there are clubs that do not allow juniors to play in the club championship. There are also clubs that do. There is no one right answer for every club.

Well yes but at the risk of being overdramatic there are countries which are Communist and countries which are Democracies so if you want the vote in the Communist one then tough luck. Rules should have a purpose, in 2017 excluding your best players because they are not yet 18 is heavy handed and ridiculous. These players are your future, they are golfs future. But yes some clubs revel in the fact that they are full of grumpy old men yelling get off my lawn.

11

#42 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3844

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 16 August 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

If it is an add on to the full membership of a parent, then no question he should be able to play.  It would be like if the USGA decided to discriminate against juniors from qualifying for the Amateur or Open because of age.  If the members don't like it then they should have a senior or mid am division so they can keep their parking places.

If there are restrictions on the membership, which the OP has stated there are, then obviously there is a question but you just don't want to see it. Even if the only restriction was Juniors cannot play in the club championship that would be valid. As you can see throughout the thread there are clubs that do not allow juniors to play in the club championship. There are also clubs that do. There is no one right answer for every club.

Well yes but at the risk of being overdramatic there are countries which are Communist and countries which are Democracies so if you want the vote in the Communist one then tough luck. Rules should have a purpose, in 2017 excluding your best players because they are not yet 18 is heavy handed and ridiculous. These players are your future, they are golfs future. But yes some clubs revel in the fact that they are full of grumpy old men yelling get off my lawn.

Nice job of over dramatizing the situation.

If they pay some sort of dues I see no reason to keep them out. But just because mom and dad are members doesn't automatically make kids eligible to win a MEMBERS competition.

Every club is different. But at ours, kids under 18, or full time college students, have privileges, but are not members.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 16 August 2017 - 10:35 AM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

12

#43 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Joined: 07/18/2016
  • Location:Philly Burbs
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Rules should have a purpose, in 2017 excluding your best players because they are not yet 18 is heavy handed and ridiculous. These players are your future, they are golfs future. But yes some clubs revel in the fact that they are full of grumpy old men yelling get off my lawn.

I know you want to make it into 'not yet 18' issue but it doesn't appear to me that is the only factor. If the Junior Membership is a limited membership that does not include being able to play for the Club Championship that is perfectly valid. If the club chose to specifically allow juniors into the club championship that is also valid. The way I see it those juniors are getting a huge break already. Not being able to play in the club championship, if that is the way the course handles it, is not a travesty.

If a private club were struggling a little and offered a limited number of 3 round max associate packages to the general public with the restriction that those players could not play in the club championship would you take issue with that? I wouldn't. There is a local public course near me that offers an associate package for $160 for the year which allows the associate member to play in the club championship. Perfectly valid.

13

#44 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2038

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

I have zero issues with letting him play. I have zero issues with not letting him play. As long as the bylaws have been in place and the definitions are clear. Not letting him play because he is going to win is not a good excuse. Nor is breaking the rules to get him in just because you like the kid. If there are no bylaws for a junior playing in the club championship, I'd suggest a meeting with the Pro and the board to sort this out prior to competition. I would vote for: Let him play. Let him get his name on the trophy. Reserve the prize fund for the adults...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

14

#45 bazinky

bazinky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
  • Joined: 06/29/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 538

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

This thread illustrates how import it is to assess the playing culture at a club, and how it fits with what you want.

Personally, I want to play at a club that gets genuinely excited when a junior starts showing promise, and is willing to bend over backwards to help that kid on his journey. I want to play at a club where the members don't get thrown into a tizzy when the junior clinics have a decent turnout and need to use half of the range for hour in the afternoon during the middle of the week . I want to play at club where women aren't viewed as second-class members, and are actually encouraged to play.

The exclusionary nature of some clubs, especially the ones that are struggling, just baffles me. I do understand the need for certain restrictions in order to maintain membership value, but I'd prefer to err on the side of getting additional people to play and love this great game.

Edited by bazinky, 16 August 2017 - 11:25 AM.

Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

15

#46 Sling

Sling

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
  • Joined: 04/30/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Rules should have a purpose, in 2017 excluding your best players because they are not yet 18 is heavy handed and ridiculous. These players are your future, they are golfs future. But yes some clubs revel in the fact that they are full of grumpy old men yelling get off my lawn.

I know you want to make it into 'not yet 18' issue but it doesn't appear to me that is the only factor. If the Junior Membership is a limited membership that does not include being able to play for the Club Championship that is perfectly valid. If the club chose to specifically allow juniors into the club championship that is also valid. The way I see it those juniors are getting a huge break already. Not being able to play in the club championship, if that is the way the course handles it, is not a travesty.

If a private club were struggling a little and offered a limited number of 3 round max associate packages to the general public with the restriction that those players could not play in the club championship would you take issue with that? I wouldn't. There is a local public course near me that offers an associate package for $160 for the year which allows the associate member to play in the club championship. Perfectly valid.
I just do not get this attitude. Junior members are junior members because they are still at Grade School, they do not have a full time paying job. They are the future of golf and cannot afford to pay 20k a year on membership dues. Any club I have ever been a member of has always distinguished between age based membership, give them a financial break as they have no money but will grow up in to full members in due course, and those who are just not good enough or do not want to commit to full membership. The idea that a 16 year old is a freeloader is just absurd.

16

#47 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Joined: 01/18/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

View Postbazinky, on 16 August 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

This thread illustrates how import it is to assess the playing culture at a club, and how it fits with what you want.

Personally, I want to play at a club that gets genuinely excited when a junior starts showing promise, and is willing to bend over backwards to help that kid on his journey. I want to play at a club where the members don't get thrown into a tizzy when the junior clinics have a decent turnout and need to use half of the range for hour in the afternoon during the middle of the week . I want to play at club where women aren't viewed as second-class members, and are actually encouraged to play.

The exclusionary nature of some clubs, especially the ones that are struggling, just baffles me. I do understand the need for certain restrictions in order to maintain membership value, but I'd prefer to err on the side of getting additional people to play and love this great game.
.

I cudnt agree with you more . I am all for helping the juniors its great to see them out there .

For anyone interested the tournament committee votes tonight on whether  or Not  he plays  . Ill post there decision tommorow

17

#48 fawley

fawley

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Joined: 07/20/2005
  • Location:NY
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Children of members at my club are eligible to play in the club championship if they qualify.

Last years club champion plus the top 15 from a 36 hole strike play qualifier make it through to the match play section.  18 hole matches for the first 3 rounds of matchplay, 36 hole match in the final.

If a kid is good enough to qualify, I think most people at the club are more than happy to see them in the final 16. These are kids who've, more often than not, grown up at the club, and most people get a kick out of seeing them come into their own.

I'm sure we have our share of crotchety old men who'd prefer to see children of members excluded.  I respect their right to a contrary opinion, but I struggle to understand it.

18

#49 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Joined: 07/18/2016
  • Location:Philly Burbs
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

I just do not get this attitude. Junior members are junior members because they are still at Grade School, they do not have a full time paying job. They are the future of golf and cannot afford to pay 20k a year on membership dues. Any club I have ever been a member of has always distinguished between age based membership, give them a financial break as they have no money but will grow up in to full members in due course, and those who are just not good enough or do not want to commit to full membership. The idea that a 16 year old is a freeloader is just absurd.

Do not get 'this attitude' with what? That someone could possibly have a different viewpoint than yourself? I don't get the attitude of there can only be 1 right way to handle this situation for every single club and in particular how this particular club handles it if indeed the Junior Membership is not a Full Membership.

Not sure where freeloader is coming from other than your post.

19

#50 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

I personally think that Club championship should be open to everyone.   If they restrict to over 18 I would not push it. No club championship is worth the hassle if there going to make it one. My daughter at 10 can probably beat 90% of the women in our club. Most people love watching her play but both I know there are some who despise the fact she can play.

I think the biggest complainers in this are those who can not break 80 and think they need to play in the club championship.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1556

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 15 August 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

View Postbazinky, on 15 August 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

I want MY club champ to be the best player at the club, period.

Should the head professional and his (/her) staff also be allowed to play?

How about the caddy staff?

They probably have similar "playing privileges" at the club to Juniors.

Every club has different nuances. There's no right answer.

One of the silliest attempts at justifying the inadequacy issues of an uptight membership that i have ever seen. You seriously are comparing a junior member to employees?

What every club had are pompous, spineless twits who will cheat and modify rules to protect their fragile egos.

Edited by buckeyefl, 16 August 2017 - 03:50 PM.


21

#52 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1556

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

I just do not get this attitude. Junior members are junior members because they are still at Grade School, they do not have a full time paying job. They are the future of golf and cannot afford to pay 20k a year on membership dues. Any club I have ever been a member of has always distinguished between age based membership, give them a financial break as they have no money but will grow up in to full members in due course, and those who are just not good enough or do not want to commit to full membership. The idea that a 16 year old is a freeloader is just absurd.

Do not get 'this attitude' with what? That someone could possibly have a different viewpoint than yourself? I don't get the attitude of there can only be 1 right way to handle this situation for every single club and in particular how this particular club handles it if indeed the Junior Membership is not a Full Membership.

Not sure where freeloader is coming from other than your post.
Read some of the ridiculous arguments and youll see where it is coming from. Its not hard to see.

22

#53 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3844

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

View Postbuckeyefl, on 16 August 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

I just do not get this attitude. Junior members are junior members because they are still at Grade School, they do not have a full time paying job. They are the future of golf and cannot afford to pay 20k a year on membership dues. Any club I have ever been a member of has always distinguished between age based membership, give them a financial break as they have no money but will grow up in to full members in due course, and those who are just not good enough or do not want to commit to full membership. The idea that a 16 year old is a freeloader is just absurd.

Do not get 'this attitude' with what? That someone could possibly have a different viewpoint than yourself? I don't get the attitude of there can only be 1 right way to handle this situation for every single club and in particular how this particular club handles it if indeed the Junior Membership is not a Full Membership.

Not sure where freeloader is coming from other than your post.
Read some of the ridiculous arguments and youll see where it is coming from. Its not hard to see.

Seriously Buckeye, what arguments have been ridiculous?  The most reoccuring theme I've seen is some (myself included) think that they (and that can be whatever demographic fits) need to be paying members to play. Not children of paying members. I fail to see that as a ridiculous argument. Many disageee, and that's fine. But it doesn't mean their point of view is inherently correct either. Just different.

And I also haven't seen anything remotely resembling anything that would imply term "freeloader".

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 16 August 2017 - 06:11 PM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

23

#54 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1556

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

View Postbuckeyefl, on 16 August 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

I just do not get this attitude. Junior members are junior members because they are still at Grade School, they do not have a full time paying job. They are the future of golf and cannot afford to pay 20k a year on membership dues. Any club I have ever been a member of has always distinguished between age based membership, give them a financial break as they have no money but will grow up in to full members in due course, and those who are just not good enough or do not want to commit to full membership. The idea that a 16 year old is a freeloader is just absurd.

Do not get 'this attitude' with what? That someone could possibly have a different viewpoint than yourself? I don't get the attitude of there can only be 1 right way to handle this situation for every single club and in particular how this particular club handles it if indeed the Junior Membership is not a Full Membership.

Not sure where freeloader is coming from other than your post.
Read some of the ridiculous arguments and youll see where it is coming from. Its not hard to see.

Seriously Buckeye, what arguments have been ridiculous?  The most reoccuring theme I've seen is some (myself included) think that they (and that can be whatever demographic fits) need to be paying members to play. Not children of paying members. I fail to see that as a ridiculous argument. Many disageee, and that's fine. But it doesn't mean their point of view is inherently correct either. Just different.

And I also haven't seen anything remotely resembling anything that would imply term "freeloader".

Have the parents pony up the dough for a full membership for the kid. Problem solved?

No, I want someone who gets the benefits of a full membership to have to pay the full membership price

If I am paying a premium for a service I don't want the membership rules bent just because someone's kid is good

The biggest ridiculous argument is if their parents are members and the juniors are allowed to play then the parents did pay for a membership for the child per the club rules or they would have been paying as a single member.

Edited by buckeyefl, 16 August 2017 - 06:56 PM.


24

#55 DLiver

DLiver

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
  • Joined: 05/16/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

yep we allow it- why wouldnt you? its the CLUB championship, he's a member of the club so he qualifies.


You cant (legitimately) call yourself a 'Club Champion' if it's a closed shop and club members cant play.

This. The club champion is the best playing member at the club. No staff, but open to all members regardless of age or gender.


25

#56 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19202

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

View Postbuckeyefl, on 16 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 15 August 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

View Postbazinky, on 15 August 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

I want MY club champ to be the best player at the club, period.

Should the head professional and his (/her) staff also be allowed to play?

How about the caddy staff?

They probably have similar "playing privileges" at the club to Juniors.

Every club has different nuances. There's no right answer.

One of the silliest attempts at justifying the inadequacy issues of an uptight membership that i have ever seen. You seriously are comparing a junior member to employees?

What every club had are pompous, spineless twits who will cheat and modify rules to protect their fragile egos.

Raynor did mention that the club in his area has junior members who are not full members, they get to use the facility as limited members because their parents are members , or something like that. We discussed it earlier in this thread and he mentioned some regional differences between what he sees and clubs around my area for example where junior members are often full members of the club.

I don't think he was being pompous or malicious, in the situation he described at his home club i would agree with them not being allowed to compete.
Ping G LS Tec 9.5 w/Tour Shaft 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

26

#57 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

View PostDLiver, on 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

yep we allow it- why wouldnt you? its the CLUB championship, he's a member of the club so he qualifies.


You cant (legitimately) call yourself a 'Club Champion' if it's a closed shop and club members cant play.

This. The club champion is the best playing member at the club. No staff, but open to all members regardless of age or gender.


Staff are there to run the tournament and are employee's no  reason for them to play.

That is part of being a Pro you don't play with amateurs they have there tournaments they can play in.  I don't see anything wrong with only allowing amateurs to play in a club championship as well or limiting how many years you can win it. Not much a championship if a PGA pro is a member and wins every year.

27

#58 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
  • Joined: 10/06/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 16 August 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

View PostDLiver, on 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 16 August 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

yep we allow it- why wouldnt you? its the CLUB championship, he's a member of the club so he qualifies.


You cant (legitimately) call yourself a 'Club Champion' if it's a closed shop and club members cant play.

This. The club champion is the best playing member at the club. No staff, but open to all members regardless of age or gender.


Staff are there to run the tournament and are employee's no  reason for them to play.

That is part of being a Pro you don't play with amateurs they have there tournaments they can play in.  I don't see anything wrong with only allowing amateurs to play in a club championship as well or limiting how many years you can win it. Not much a championship if a PGA pro is a member and wins every year.

Sorry tiger you can't play the masters anymore you've won it too many times in your careear ....

28

#59 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 750

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 16 August 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

Raynor did mention that the club in his area has junior members who are not full members, they get to use the facility as limited members because their parents are members , or something like that. We discussed it earlier in this thread and he mentioned some regional differences between what he sees and clubs around my area for example where junior members are often full members of the club.

I don't think he was being pompous or malicious, in the situation he described at his home club i would agree with them not being allowed to compete.

Yeah, I've been pretty careful in this thread to make it clear that it comes down to the culture of the club.

At my home club, there are no members under the age of 21 (it's one of the only prerequisites for membership, and I assume it has some weird basis in liquor licensing). Children of members are allowed to use the facilities as guests of the president of the club (which, conveniently, she/he can revoke on a case by case basis). There is no cost differential if you have children or don't. There are a bunch of other people in the "guests of the president" group - the local high school team, caddies, a couple of good am players, etc.

There is a pretty strong junoir program; but the kids don't play in the club championship.

29

#60 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3844

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

View Postbuckeyefl, on 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 August 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

View Postbuckeyefl, on 16 August 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostHatsForBats, on 16 August 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostSling, on 16 August 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

I just do not get this attitude. Junior members are junior members because they are still at Grade School, they do not have a full time paying job. They are the future of golf and cannot afford to pay 20k a year on membership dues. Any club I have ever been a member of has always distinguished between age based membership, give them a financial break as they have no money but will grow up in to full members in due course, and those who are just not good enough or do not want to commit to full membership. The idea that a 16 year old is a freeloader is just absurd.

Do not get 'this attitude' with what? That someone could possibly have a different viewpoint than yourself? I don't get the attitude of there can only be 1 right way to handle this situation for every single club and in particular how this particular club handles it if indeed the Junior Membership is not a Full Membership.

Not sure where freeloader is coming from other than your post.
Read some of the ridiculous arguments and youll see where it is coming from. Its not hard to see.

Seriously Buckeye, what arguments have been ridiculous?  The most reoccuring theme I've seen is some (myself included) think that they (and that can be whatever demographic fits) need to be paying members to play. Not children of paying members. I fail to see that as a ridiculous argument. Many disageee, and that's fine. But it doesn't mean their point of view is inherently correct either. Just different.

And I also haven't seen anything remotely resembling anything that would imply term "freeloader".

Have the parents pony up the dough for a full membership for the kid. Problem solved?

No, I want someone who gets the benefits of a full membership to have to pay the full membership price

If I am paying a premium for a service I don't want the membership rules bent just because someone's kid is good

The biggest ridiculous argument is if their parents are members and the juniors are allowed to play then the parents did pay for a membership for the child per the club rules or they would have been paying as a single member.

Fair enough. Guess I didn't read closely enough.

But not necessarily are the parents paying for a membership. I know ours says, paraphrasing here, minors have privileges, but they are not members.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors