Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A motivational speech for junior golfers: How bad do you want it

Motivation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 XVgolf

XVgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455028
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

Please enjoy my favourite motivational speech by Eric Thomas and the various footage from my practice and tournament play this past season. But do get some sleep :)

https://youtu.be/sw7RUmEH2fI

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

This reminds me of my son. At a year old he was pretty-much catatonic. Didn't know if I was even in the room yelling his name. I remember him working so hard with therapists at 2 years old to try to come out of his shell that he'd be sitting there sweating. I was out of town the last several days but my wife mentioned a couple things that happened when I was gone. He's 12 now, still with some struggles related to his health issues. In his soccer game Saturday he took a shot to the head and was pulled out of the game as a precaution. The other team were all a foot taller, older than our team. My wife told him when he came out to not be afraid, that he's more than good enough to play against those other kids...to tell the coach when he was ready to go back in. He asked the coach to go back in and, for some reason, coach put him in at left forward (after a couple years of cubbyholing him back in defense). My boy got a pass, flew past the other team and kicked a goal within the first minute of being in. Until then they were down 4-0. It was his first outdoor goal in 5 years of playing soccer. I guess the crowd went nuts. And, his team came back to almost tie the game after that.

He got his blackbelt in karate at 11. I remember seeing him get his bell rung in sparring once when he was 10. He went down for a minute and rather than come off the mat he quietly gathered himself and got back into the starting position to keep fighting. I knew we were on to something then.

The other observation from my wife: She took the kids to the driving range and said that a crowd of college-aged kids gathered around my son to watch him pound balls. Everybody admires his swing. After being watched for a while he took a break, stopped hitting balls, and started talking to each of the young adults around him about golf.

Sorry for the self-indulgent post. Just reminded me of my boy and the paradigm we were thrust into...

#3 mbs_59

mbs_59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429122
  • Handicap:+1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

You got to want it all the time.  As a former college player that burned out, I can say, it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you want to do it.  Unfortunately after a few years in college I just didn't want to do it on the level anymore.  I think it's important for kids to know that.  You can enjoy the game either way but definitely you better want it bad when you want to move on to the next level.

#4 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

XV...I like that footage. Good stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users