Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Ball Compression

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

By no means am I a ball expert, just my own experience playing.  My daughter plays and trying to find the best ball my understanding was always softer is better due to lack of swing speed compression of the ball. But how much does that really matter?

We played the softest ball. The Wilson duo how great would never stop and she had a hard time controlling speed. Switched to The super soft much better control with the putter, haven't noticed any real drop in distance at all. But lets say we played the Wilson Duo U or the Chrome soft what disadvantages are there by doing so?

Best Golfballs for Juniors from what I know....

-Wilson Duo
-Callaway Supersoft
-Project A
-Wilison Duo U
-Callaway ChromeSoft (2015 edition)

Edited by darter79, 13 August 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1391

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

View Postdarter79, on 13 August 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

By no means am I a ball expert, just my own experience playing.  My daughter plays and trying to find the best ball my understanding was always softer is better due to lack of swing speed compression of the ball. But how much does that really matter?

We played the softest ball. The Wilson duo how great would never stop and she had a hard time controlling speed. Switched to The super soft much better control with the putter, haven't noticed any real drop in distance at all. But lets say we played the Wilson Duo U or the Chrome soft what disadvantages are there by doing so?

Best Golfballs for Juniors from what I know....

-Wilson Duo
-Callaway Supersoft
-Project A
-Wilison Duo U
-Callaway ChromeSoft (2015 edition)

At her age I would just use the noodle.

I am not a fan of the Project A.

Try the Bridgestone E series.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 13 August 2017 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

We have had good success with the Bridgestone E6 soft. Then he went to camp and his couch uses callaway everything so he has to use callaway super soft now.
I believe there about equal for a 9yo but he has confadence in the callaway so that's what he uses.

#4 propredicr

propredicr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

At ages 5 1/2 to 9yo my boy used Wilson Duo.  Perfect except for roll out, which is needed for distance with younger kids.

9-10 yo Used Bridgestone E6 soft for 2017 season.  Then we went to IMG Worlds, in July, and noticed other boys sticking greens much closer, without rollout.  Most were using tour quality balls.  Got back home and Immediately demo'd Titleist Pro V1, NXT Tour, TM Project a, and Callaway Chrome Soft ++.  

The Taste test on the chipping green, putting green, off driver and approaches gave us the NXT Tour and Chrome Soft++, with best results.  After a couple 9 hole demo's, the Chrome Soft++ won out and he is using for the remainder of the season.  He is gaining confidence because can make a full swing and the sucker hits, bounces and stops within a foot or so.  No loss of distance off driver/irons and much, much better around the greens.  Just need the confidence to make the full swing (because the E6 soft rolls out with same swing) and let the ball do the rest.

Lots of good balls out there.  Just find one and stick to it for practice and rounds.

#5 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

We used Noodle Soft from 7-9. When he turned 10 Srixon came out with the Q Star tour. Soft compression, quality constructed ball, and urethane for around the green. We haven't looked at another ball since. In a few years we will do testing again and may go to a TP5 or ProV1 at that time, but no where close to that yet.

Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Cobra F7 4H Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Mizuno MP15 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5
MD2 Tour 52* and 58* S200/300
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

Alternates:
Fly Z 3/4Hyb Aldila Rogue 85h R flex
F6 Baffler Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
MD Forged 56* S200

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

New TM Project (a) and TM Project (s) just released.  I'll have to see about picking up a sleeve of each to try out.

https://mygolfspy.co...ct-a-golf-ball/

#7 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Project (a) is a 70 compression ball and the Project (s) is a 60 compression ball.  Project (a) has a thin urethane cover if I recall (more control/spin around the greens). The Project (s) has a polymer cover.

My junior plays the Wilson Duo ball (29 compression) in orange and/or the Callaway Super Soft (newer model at 40 compression) in white depending on what color ball he wants to play that day. :rolleyes:  Given his swing speed is just below 60mph, I don't see much  need to change but for older juniors with high swing speeds, perhaps taking a round with the Project (s) would be warranted. We plan on going towards the Duo Urethane (55 compression i think) as his swing speed increases.

#8 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 30 January 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Project (a) is a 70 compression ball and the Project (s) is a 60 compression ball.  Project (a) has a thin urethane cover if I recall (more control/spin around the greens). The Project (s) has a polymer cover.

My junior plays the Wilson Duo ball (29 compression) in orange and/or the Callaway Super Soft (newer model at 40 compression) in white depending on what color ball he wants to play that day. :rolleyes:  Given his swing speed is just below 60mph, I don't see much  need to change but for older juniors with high swing speeds, perhaps taking a round with the Project (s) would be warranted. We plan on going towards the Duo Urethane (55 compression i think) as his swing speed increases.

Perhaps its the Texas hard pan greens here, but do you find it difficult to have the duo stick on the greens. When we used the duo the ball would release forever. We use the chrome soft much higher compression but the ball just stops or gives a little release. Don't notice a ton of difference off the driver either.  Swing speed is around 55-60. Age 7, girl for what its worth.

#9 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

View Postdarter79, on 30 January 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

Perhaps its the Texas hard pan greens here, but do you find it difficult to have the duo stick on the greens. When we used the duo the ball would release forever. We use the chrome soft much higher compression but the ball just stops or gives a little release. Don't notice a ton of difference off the driver either.  Swing speed is around 55-60. Age 7, girl for what its worth.

South Carolina here, so mostly bermuda type greens.  7 year old son been using Wilson Duo (orange, and only orange, ha!) for a few years.  Distance of course is great.  Aside from him not wanting to use anything but the orange ball (which is fine), we honestly dont see a ton of undesirable roll out from the Duo.  He has a pretty high ball flight with his irons and can usually wax me in a chipping & pitching contest anyway, but he usually can land it pretty soft with only a few feet of roll out.   I think for now the roll out on short shots  (happen more often than long or pin high shots, probably the case with a lot of juniors) is more of a benefit for now than would be stopping in place with a higher spinning ball.

#10 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

View Posthangontight, on 30 January 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

South Carolina here, so mostly bermuda type greens.  7 year old son been using Wilson Duo (orange, and only orange, ha!) for a few years.  Distance of course is great.  Aside from him not wanting to use anything but the orange ball (which is fine), we honestly dont see a ton of undesirable roll out from the Duo.  He has a pretty high ball flight with his irons and can usually wax me in a chipping & pitching contest anyway, but he usually can land it pretty soft with only a few feet of roll out.   I think for now the roll out on short shots  (happen more often than long or pin high shots, probably the case with a lot of juniors) is more of a benefit for now than would be stopping in place with a higher spinning ball.

I would agree with this sentiment....we do get rollout here in Norcal with the Wilson Duo. At age 7, he just does not put the spin on the ball. It's not like he is taking purposeful divots anyway.  At this age, I just need consistency in swings and the added distance off the tee.  We have also played some Volvik's before (because they were red color...LOL) and I think those were at 55 compression. I recall only seeing a slight degradation in distance but don't remember anything about stopping power.  All of this really just depends on your junior and their swing characteristics.    Long live the orange Duo marshmallow ball!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

View Posthangontight, on 30 January 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

haven't tried them since the peek of the summer (100+ at 3pm times) so maybe worth another look again.  My reason for switching was spin.  From my course testing at the time didn't seem much difference off the driver, but with irons was a huge difference.  I've seen it drop n stop as the old saying goes.  She gets good height on it.  We use the 2015/2016 chrome soft plus she loves the look of soccer balls, go figure.

Maybe time to take a look at them again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors