Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Ball Compression

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

By no means am I a ball expert, just my own experience playing.  My daughter plays and trying to find the best ball my understanding was always softer is better due to lack of swing speed compression of the ball. But how much does that really matter?

We played the softest ball. The Wilson duo how great would never stop and she had a hard time controlling speed. Switched to The super soft much better control with the putter, haven't noticed any real drop in distance at all. But lets say we played the Wilson Duo U or the Chrome soft what disadvantages are there by doing so?

Best Golfballs for Juniors from what I know....

-Wilson Duo
-Callaway Supersoft
-Project A
-Wilison Duo U
-Callaway ChromeSoft (2015 edition)

Edited by darter79, 13 August 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

View Postdarter79, on 13 August 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

By no means am I a ball expert, just my own experience playing.  My daughter plays and trying to find the best ball my understanding was always softer is better due to lack of swing speed compression of the ball. But how much does that really matter?

We played the softest ball. The Wilson duo how great would never stop and she had a hard time controlling speed. Switched to The super soft much better control with the putter, haven't noticed any real drop in distance at all. But lets say we played the Wilson Duo U or the Chrome soft what disadvantages are there by doing so?

Best Golfballs for Juniors from what I know....

-Wilson Duo
-Callaway Supersoft
-Project A
-Wilison Duo U
-Callaway ChromeSoft (2015 edition)

At her age I would just use the noodle.

I am not a fan of the Project A.

Try the Bridgestone E series.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 13 August 2017 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

We have had good success with the Bridgestone E6 soft. Then he went to camp and his couch uses callaway everything so he has to use callaway super soft now.
I believe there about equal for a 9yo but he has confadence in the callaway so that's what he uses.

#4 propredicr

propredicr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

At ages 5 1/2 to 9yo my boy used Wilson Duo.  Perfect except for roll out, which is needed for distance with younger kids.

9-10 yo Used Bridgestone E6 soft for 2017 season.  Then we went to IMG Worlds, in July, and noticed other boys sticking greens much closer, without rollout.  Most were using tour quality balls.  Got back home and Immediately demo'd Titleist Pro V1, NXT Tour, TM Project a, and Callaway Chrome Soft ++.  

The Taste test on the chipping green, putting green, off driver and approaches gave us the NXT Tour and Chrome Soft++, with best results.  After a couple 9 hole demo's, the Chrome Soft++ won out and he is using for the remainder of the season.  He is gaining confidence because can make a full swing and the sucker hits, bounces and stops within a foot or so.  No loss of distance off driver/irons and much, much better around the greens.  Just need the confidence to make the full swing (because the E6 soft rolls out with same swing) and let the ball do the rest.

Lots of good balls out there.  Just find one and stick to it for practice and rounds.

#5 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

We used Noodle Soft from 7-9. When he turned 10 Srixon came out with the Q Star tour. Soft compression, quality constructed ball, and urethane for around the green. We haven't looked at another ball since. In a few years we will do testing again and may go to a TP5 or ProV1 at that time, but no where close to that yet.

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors