Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Constantly Changing Your Golf Swing

Help or Hindrance?

49 replies to this topic

#1 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 26,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12937

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

I was always changing my golf swing. Looking for that "magic move" that would improve my game. For me anyway, I found this constant changing seemed to be holding me back.

Earlier this season I decided to find a swing that works and stick with it. At first it was a real struggle and my scores reflected it. Did I get frustrated? Yes. Did I want to try other things? Yes. However, I decided to stick with it and gradually, over time, that swing started to work. Slowly I started to hit the ball straighter, more solidly, and gain some distance. It's still a work in progress, but I have seen some remarkable gains, and my scores are reflecting that.

This is the first season I haven't changed my swing, or changed my equipment. It's been a great season so far, though the beginning was somewhat suspect. lol

I have in no way mastered this swing, but I am beginning to feel more comfortable with it, though at first it was very awkward. In addition, if I hit a poor shot, I know what I did wrong.

I can understand refining an already existing swing, but I am talking more about wholesale changes.

I am curious if you find yourself constantly changing your swing, trying tips from golf magazines, etc., how that's working for you, or if you have a swing you are generally happy with how that is working for you.

I hope you find your season going well. :-)

Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50

Callaway Steelhead XR / 25º / Matrix Ozik Program F15 65S
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 678

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

How do you define the swing that you now are sticking to? Is it based on an instructor's methodology like Gankas or is it something that you found working for yourself? What are the points of reference to set it aside from "other" swings?
Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

#3 ScratchyDawg

ScratchyDawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310233
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:13 AM

Well...just look at what happens when someone asks for advice on this forum. You will get 20 different responses. You look at YouTube and there are hundreds of different theories on the best way to start your takeaway. No wonder people struggle. It's getting very confusing.

People seem to be more concerned with having a perfectly asthetic swing, and less concerned with how to play golf. So, they're constantly analyzing and critiquing and looking for feedback on how to get the club in a certain position. I fell into this trap a few years ago.

I've been playing golf for almost 30 years, and my game went to crap once I started looking at my swing on camera. I was constantly making little changes and I ended up spending more time on the range than the course. I forgot how to just play golf. Everything was about making the perfect swing. I went from a +1 hcp to almost 3 over the last 2 seasons.

This year, I stopped working on my swing and taking video of myself. I only use the range to warm up and maintain my swing. I feel so much more confident on the course now that I don't have to think about anything but my target, and I'm back to breaking par on a more regular basis.
"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson

#4 Itsjustagame

Itsjustagame

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243277
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 615

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:30 AM

Some days I use a different swing on every hole.
BBA 815 10.5 Rogue Max
XR 5 wood
XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
Steelhead XR Pro 5-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 95/110
Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
Taylor Made Spider Tour Platinum

#5 q-school

q-school

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17088
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

ScratchyDawg, on 13 August 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

Well...just look at what happens when someone asks for advice on this forum. You will get 20 different responses. You look at YouTube and there are hundreds of different theories on the best way to start your takeaway. No wonder people struggle. It's getting very confusing.

People seem to be more concerned with having a perfectly asthetic swing, and less concerned with how to play golf. So, they're constantly analyzing and critiquing and looking for feedback on how to get the club in a certain position. I fell into this trap a few years ago.

I've been playing golf for almost 30 years, and my game went to crap once I started looking at my swing on camera. I was constantly making little changes and I ended up spending more time on the range than the course. I forgot how to just play golf. Everything was about making the perfect swing. I went from a +1 hcp to almost 3 over the last 2 seasons.

This year, I stopped working on my swing and taking video of myself. I only use the range to warm up and maintain my swing. I feel so much more confident on the course now that I don't have to think about anything but my target, and I'm back to breaking par on a more regular basis.
Okay but if you are a stable twenty handicap, should you just roll with your swing?   I get why someone who is scratch can maintain.   For people who want to get better, do they improve by playing and keeping their swing,or by trying to work out swing flaws?   Thanks.

#6 ScratchyDawg

ScratchyDawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310233
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

q-school, on 13 August 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

Okay but if you are a stable twenty handicap, should you just roll with your swing?   I get why someone who is scratch can maintain.   For people who want to get better, do they improve by playing and keeping their swing,or by trying to work out swing flaws?   Thanks.

Find an instructor. Or at least stick with one teacher's philosophy. If you take it into your own hands by trying to interpret a dozen different things you see in magazines or online, you will only get confused.
"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson

#7 BenHoganSlam1953

BenHoganSlam1953

Professional Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225599
GolfWRX Likes : 643

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

One very important thing is that you will eventually have to figure it out yourself if you want to get better with your swing or any part of golf. You cannot get around that ... anything else is just not your swing. You can spend a lifetime and never figure it out ... this is why having one (change when it makes sense or you have no choice like one of you have moved) source of information that you have watched interact with others, and like the approach, as well as can see obvious improvements in others, is a major asset.

An instructor can guide to to a better grip, alignment, balance, etc. - but they do not know why for "you" your alignment may be constantly off ... or your grip tends to get messed up fairly quickly during a round - they are not you and never will be. They can guide your "ship" back onto the right path, however, you will still need to figure out where the disconnect is inside yourself ... are you seeing something wrong at setup ? does the instructor get you to do something that has an immediate positive effect on your ball flight, but you find yourself resisting because inside your brain you do not see the connection between the change from the instructor and the result - if fact you find yourself wanting to do the opposite?

Personally, almost everything I thought about how to approach this game turned out to be opposite of what I needed to do ...

Just do not do what I frequently see on this forum (and others) - if a person is working with an instructor then I just do not understand why they are posting for tips on their swing or what they are working on ... if they are posting then it obviously is not working and they should either just move on, or give the instructor a chance, and talk to their instructor to see what they are thinking and decide whether it makes sense to continue the relationship.

Best of luck in your journey ... be sure to have fun along the way

Edited by BenHoganSlam1953, 13 August 2017 - 08:55 AM.

Bridgestone J40 445
X2 Hot Pro 15/19
MP-32 4i - PW
SM5 54F, 59M, SM4 63T
Nike Unitizedtechno
opti-vibe weighting

#8 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Golfbeat, on 13 August 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

How do you define the swing that you now are sticking to? Is it based on an instructor's methodology like Gankas or is it something that you found working for yourself? What are the points of reference to set it aside from "other" swings?

Early on, when I executed the swing properly, I would occasionally hit a shot that I was never able to hit before, so I knew I was on the right track. Over the winter my best friend, and instructor showed me what I was doing wrong, and what I needed to do. As I said, initially it felt extremely awkward, so I knew I must be on the right track. At first the results on the course were awful. Instead of saying, "Well this isn't working", I knew I had to stick with it if I wanted to get better. It's taken quite a while, but I am starting to see positive results.

#9 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

That sums it up very nicely. It feels very good to finally have one swing for every shot, as opposed to changing the swing from round-to-round...looking for that "something". I stated the season as a 10.4, went up to an 11.3, am now an 8.3 and trending downwards. I had a some rounds in the low 90's, high 80's. 10 of my last 20 rounds have been in the 70's with a low of 72.

Itsjustagame, on 13 August 2017 - 05:30 AM, said:

Some days I use a different swing on every hole.

Lol! I used to do the same thing on occasion.

ScratchyDawg, on 13 August 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Find an instructor. Or at least stick with one teacher's philosophy. If you take it into your own hands by trying to interpret a dozen different things you see in magazines or online, you will only get confused.

Yes, pretty much this.

#10 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

BenHoganSlam1953, on 13 August 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

One very important thing is that you will eventually have to figure it out yourself if you want to get better with your swing or any part of golf. You cannot get around that ... anything else is just not your swing. You can spend a lifetime and never figure it out ... this is why having one (change when it makes sense or you have no choice like one of you have moved) source of information that you have watched interact with others, and like the approach, as well as can see obvious improvements in others, is a major asset.

An instructor can guide to to a better grip, alignment, balance, etc. - but they do not know why for "you" your alignment may be constantly off ... or your grip tends to get messed up fairly quickly during a round - they are not you and never will be. They can guide your "ship" back onto the right path, however, you will still need to figure out where the disconnect is inside yourself ... are you seeing something wrong at setup ? does the instructor get you to do something that has an immediate positive effect on your ball flight, but you find yourself resisting because inside your brain you do not see the connection between the change from the instructor and the result - if fact you find yourself wanting to do the opposite?

Personally, almost everything I thought about how to approach this game turned out to be opposite of what I needed to do ...

Just do not do what I frequently see on this forum (and others) - if a person is working with an instructor then I just do not understand why they are posting for tips on their swing or what they are working on ... if they are posting then it obviously is not working and they should either just move on, or give the instructor a chance, and talk to their instructor to see what they are thinking and decide whether it makes sense to continue the relationship.

Best of luck in your journey ... be sure to have fun along the way

As we all know, golf is a game that requires a lot of patience. This is a generalization, but in our society we seem to be always looking for instant results, with golf if something is not working immediately, many of us go on to something else.

It's hard to stick with something that is new and feels awkward. I played some terrible golf early on, but as I said above, I knew I had to stick with it if I wanted to get better. I also stopped reading "tips" in golf magazines, looking at YouTube videos, or visiting the instruction forum here. As you said, it gets confusing.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 2035

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Here's the thing for me. I had a run of about a year where I played pretty well. During that time I had a few swing keys but they all oriented around the same principles. Then, quietly, old bad habits crept back in, mainly because I never really solved one thing. So I am back with my instructor and this time I'm just going to solve the core issue.

When I had a new swing every day was when I didn't know what I believed in. A lot of trial and error. There really are a million ways to swing it effectively but not all of them mesh. Choosing and understanding a 'system' where all the key elements mesh settles things down a lot and from there, at least for me, it is the process of refining and maintaining. The thing I have to watch out for is this big new feel/idea during the middle of a good round. That can take me in a wrong direction.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Miura Small Blades, Modus 105R 3-W
Titleist T-MB, Modus 105S, 3-W
Fourteen FH1000 3-W. KBS tourV 110 S
Fourteen mt28v3 50,54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

#12 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

wmblake2000, on 13 August 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

Here's the thing for me. I had a run of about a year where I played pretty well. During that time I had a few swing keys but they all oriented around the same principles. Then, quietly, old bad habits crept back in, mainly because I never really solved one thing. So I am back with my instructor and this time I'm just going to solve the core issue.

When I had a new swing every day was when I didn't know what I believed in. A lot of trial and error. There really are a million ways to swing it effectively but not all of them mesh. Choosing and understanding a 'system' where all the key elements mesh settles things down a lot and from there, at least for me, it is the process of refining and maintaining. The thing I have to watch out for is this big new feel/idea during the middle of a good round. That can take me in a wrong direction.

I can relate. A lot of it comes down to trusting that the swing will work...that takes some getting used to! And yes, those old swing habits can very slowly creep back in, which is why I focus a lot more on each and every shot. When I do hit a poor shot, I know what I did wrong.

By the way, one of my favorite quotes from you is: "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, until he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

Edited by Sean2, 13 August 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#13 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

Sean2, on 13 August 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

By the way, one of my favorite quotes from you is: "If the doors of perception were cleansedevery thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, until he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

EXCELLENT!  Those are words to live by....

PS: I look quite good for being 250-odd yrs old.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Fourteen mt28v3 50,54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

#14 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

wmblake2000, on 13 August 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Sean2, on 13 August 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

By the way, one of my favorite quotes from you is: "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, until he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

EXCELLENT!  Those are words to live by....

PS: I look quite good for being 250-odd yrs old.

Yes, you are quite well preserved. I assume golf was your inspiration in your "youth". :-)

#15 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 2,889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1442

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

Chasing swing changes and swing theory has become - in the age of Internet golf - an addiction all unto itself.

I remember when things used to be different!

The addiction part happens due to the flood of dopamine in your brain when you experience a "light bulb moment" and/or a much better ball flight result when working on a new move.

If one is not careful, the pursuit of that "natural high" will replace any rational kind of swing improvement plan.

Google "random reinforcement syndrome" for more on how this all works....

#16 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Go Hawks!

• 11,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7582

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

Down that road starting with my subscription to Golf Digest I started with my paper route money back in about 1970 (the panfish and bass fishing ideas in my outdoor magazines were so much more understandable and simpler). Actually made my greatest leap in improvement with some consistent instruction/lots of practice/grooving a timing based swing with ideas like swing to right field/drag the handle/here is the position you need to get to. But my casting was diagnosed as over the top/drills to "fix" it were not getting me where I thought I should get, was just repeating the same swing better. And short game ideas were causing me to eliminate any use of bounce. Still would look at this idea or that if it even sounded related to what I thought was my issue.

Decided a few years ago to set up a session for me and my daughter with Monte while visiting the folks. Since then been "working" on getting THE swing for me and except for derailments due to injury and backsliding on practice, that is my sole direction. Monte's eyes were spot on, tireless on ideas to get me to get it, my understanding of what I should be doing took a big jump IMHO not after clinic, but after later visit to Irvine this year (clinic still worth every minute, don't misunderstand) when we hit on something that opened my eyes more, at least I think so. Proof is in the swing, now I'm starting on week 3 with a tweaked lower back and its killing me I can't go practice because some things were coming together.

Short game and blending that with Monte's ideas on release has been the biggest eye opener for me and seeing how ideas there translate into short irons and on up. I wish I was 16 and could just go work with Monte on short game and wedges out to 100 yards and take the rest of my game from there. Sigh.

Satisfied with retooling and unlearning and some little bit of comprehension about my golf swing.

Thanks for the thread, so much value in not going from idea to idea. Watched a young man with so much potential do that on here for several months a year ago, full speed ahead, not even in person advice from great teacher could deter him from forum solicitations from strangers and endless tinkering and self misdiagnosis and must get to scratch now and it actually made me sad for the kid. Hope he's enjoying the game again.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 13 August 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#17 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

Jim Waldron, on 13 August 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Chasing swing changes and swing theory has become - in the age of Internet golf - an addiction all unto itself.

The addiction part happens due to the flood of dopamine in your brain when you experience a "light bulb moment" and/or a much better ball flight result when working on a new move.

If one is not careful, the pursuit of that "natural high" will replace any rational kind of swing improvement plan.

And, I think, our constant search for the "quick fix". Which in golf, as we know, does not exist. :-)

IMHO to get any type of consistency in this game, one has to be patient, find a swing that works more often than not, and stick with the same equipment for a while. Golf is one of those activities where sometimes change is not always a good thing. :-)

#18 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

Wow! That is great insight and input! Gotta chew on this because it applies to me.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Fourteen mt28v3 50,54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

#19 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Hawkeye77, on 13 August 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

Down that road starting with my subscription to Golf Digest I started with my paper route money back in about 1970 (the panfish and bass fishing ideas in my outdoor magazines were so much more understandable and simpler). Actually made my greatest leap in improvement with some consistent instruction/lots of practice/grooving a timing based swing with ideas like swing to left field/drag the handle/here is the position you need to get to. But my casting was diagnosed as over the top/drills to "fix" it were not getting me where I thought I should get, was just repeating the same swing better. And short game ideas were causing me to eliminate any use of bounce. Still would look at this idea or that if it even sounded related to what I thought was my issue.

Decided a few years ago to set up a session for me and my daughter with Monte while visiting the folks. Since then been "working" on getting THE swing for me and except for derailments due to injury and backsliding on practice, that is my sole direction. Monte's eyes were spot on, tireless on ideas to get me to get it, my understanding of what I should be doing took a big jump IMHO not after clinic, but after later visit to Irvine when we hit on something that opened my eyes more, at least I think so. Proof is in the swing, now I'm starting on week 3 with a tweaked lower back and its killing me I can't go practice because some things were coming together.

Short game and blending that with Monte's ideas on release has been the biggest eye opener for me and seeing how ideas there translate into short irons and on up. I wish I was 16 and could just go work with Monte on short game and wedges out to 100 yards and take the rest of my game from there. Sigh.

Satisfied with retooling and unlearning and some little bit of comprehension about my golf swing.

Thanks for the thread, so much value in not going from idea to idea. Watched a young man with so much potential do that on here for several months a year ago, full speed ahead, not even in person advice from great teacher could deter him from forum solicitations from strangers and endless tinkering and self misdiagnosis and must get to scratch now and it actually made me sad for the kid. Hope he's enjoying the game again.

I practice my short game incessantly (100 yards and in, chipping, pitching, horrible lies, great lies, flop shots, bunker shots, etc.), and I found those half/three-quarter swings has really helped in developing the full swing.

I hope your back gets better! (I have been sidelined with vertigo, so I share your frustration...I can't wait to get back out to do some short game work and get back into the "groove").  

And, for what it's worth, I think you are on the right track. :-)

#20 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 778

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

i make swing changes every time i play... the bad swings always show up any way

i am on youtube daily. In my estimation i have taken a 1000 plus lessons this year...for free including lessons from you sir. :) Very grateful. I have a ton of swing knowledge..alas doesn't always work in implementation...i get why these guys on tour have coaches..as the worse time is making a so called swing change...the old swing that's in the bank for 30 years plus just waits you out..

Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Go Hawks!

• 11,663 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, Sean! Never had back pain in my life, luckily just muscle-related from landscaping instead of golfing (see what happens - I tell my wife!), but never been doubled over trying to straighten up before, blah, blah. It will pass and I will take precautions. I have friends with real, permanent back issues of different kinds - new appreciation for what they go through most of the time. Yikes.

Monte preaches hitting that 150 yard club 100 yards as a good way to get in touch with one's swing and sequencing properly. So much that makes sense with that. And my best warmup before a round is still a shag bag of wedges to the practice hole from fringe, rough, out to 45 yards or so. Usually forget to practice putting, which explains a lot about my putting.

#22 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hawkeye77, on 13 August 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Thanks, Sean! Never had back pain in my life, luckily just muscle-related from landscaping instead of golfing (see what happens - I tell my wife!), but never been doubled over trying to straighten up before, blah, blah. It will pass and I will take precautions. I have friends with real, permanent back issues of different kinds - new appreciation for what they go through most of the time. Yikes.

Monte preaches hitting that 150 yard club 100 yards as a good way to get in touch with one's swing and sequencing properly. So much that makes sense with that. And my best warmup before a round is still a shag bag of wedges to the practice hole from fringe, rough, out to 45 yards or so. Usually forget to practice putting, which explains a lot about my putting.

Glad to hear it is not spine related! Hopefully the muscle thing will work itself out quickly. :-)

I will practice with a 7-iron and hit just 100-110 yard shots on the range. Not only does it help with sequencing, but I think it helps with rhythm and tempo as well.

#23 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Go Hawks!

• 11,663 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Sean2, on 13 August 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Hawkeye77, on 13 August 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Glad to hear it is not spine related! Hopefully the muscle thing will work itself out quickly. :-)

I will practice with a 7-iron and hit just 100-110 yard shots on the range. Not only does it help with sequencing, but I think it helps with rhythm and tempo as well.

Absolutely! And don't mess with that vertigo, my dad finally had a couple of unknown episodes diagnosed and vertigo is the issue.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 13 August 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#24 TB07

TB07

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223873
GolfWRX Likes : 1347

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

Constant change isn't bad, I am always changing. The key is to do it within the framework of one system. You have to know what you are trying to achieve, why you are trying to achieve it, and have a plan. I never change based on tips from different sources. That's a recipe for disaster.

#25 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3132

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

I've only played two rounds with the same swing. This morning, I even changed one swing at the top of my backswing to another. Apparently, that's not 'the answer'.

#26 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

Petunia Sprinkle, on 13 August 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

I've only played two rounds with the same swing. This morning, I even changed one swing at the top of my backswing to another. Apparently, that's not 'the answer'.

Ok, that change wins the prize.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Fourteen mt28v3 50,54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

#27 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1502651447' post='16030760']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1502649702' post='16030624']
[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1502649426' post='16030600']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely! And don't mess with that vertigo, my dad finally had a couple of unknown episodes diagnosed and vertigo is the issue.
[/quote]

Thanks! It has been a recurring problem, unfortunately. It started in 2002. Happens a few times a year.

[quote name='Petunia Sprinkle' timestamp='1502654872' post='16031002']
[/quote]
[quote name='wmblake2000' timestamp='1502655302' post='16031032']
[quote name='Petunia Sprinkle' timestamp='1502654872' post='16031002']
[/quote]

Ok, that change wins the prize.
[/quote]

Lol! I agree. :-)

#28 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Sean2, on 12 August 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

I can understand refining an already existing swing, but I am talking more about wholesale changes.  I am curious if you find yourself constantly changing your swing, trying tips from golf magazines, etc., how that's working for you, or if you have a swing you are generally happy with how that is working for you.

This year, I kind of did the same thing you did, Sean2.  I think of it as taking ownership of my own game. That is, simply going with what works, and discarding the stuff that doesn't. Rinse, repeat...

Three years ago, I attended a Monte clinic, where he noted a fundamental flaw in my setup, and after that, I played some really good golf.  But, the past two years, my game was so inconsistent.  While I set personal bests for 9-holes and 18-holes, and played well in a couple of scrambles, I also played some terrible golf, too.  in retrospect, I didn't trust myself to be my own coach.  I relied on Monte, books, and the GolfWRX Instruction forum for nuggets that would come and go.  That's not to say these aren't good resources (especially Monte).  I just felt I needed to be more discerning about what I try to ingrain, going forward. So, I've limited my "intake" of these resources this year.

This year, I've improved, thanks in large part to purchasing an Impact Snap device that I've discussed on other threads.  Yesterday, I had another breakthrough at the range with a flushed 46* pitching wedge that went 10-15 yards farther and higher than typical. As Monte advocates, I took a moment to internalize the shot to try to make sense of how it happened. Then, I translated the "how" to a feel to employ on subsequent shots.  Not ironically, it's a feel Monte advocates.  The next couple of shots were close, but not of the quality of that first magic bullet.  The third shot, I hit with the same timing and "feel" of the first, and hit another rocket.  Had another hit and a couple more misses until the bucket ran out.  : (

Anyway, this is how I want to improve going forward. I enjoy practicing this way, and look forward to more improved, consistent golf!
They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

#29 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,249 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

games, on 14 August 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Sean2, on 12 August 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

I can understand refining an already existing swing, but I am talking more about wholesale changes.  I am curious if you find yourself constantly changing your swing, trying tips from golf magazines, etc., how that's working for you, or if you have a swing you are generally happy with how that is working for you.

This year, I kind of did the same thing you did, Sean2.  I think of it as taking ownership of my own game. That is, simply going with what works, and discarding the stuff that doesn't. Rinse, repeat...

Three years ago, I attended a Monte clinic, where he noted a fundamental flaw in my setup, and after that, I played some really good golf.  But, the past two years, my game was so inconsistent.  While I set personal bests for 9-holes and 18-holes, and played well in a couple of scrambles, I also played some terrible golf, too.  in retrospect, I didn't trust myself to be my own coach.  I relied on Monte, books, and the GolfWRX Instruction forum for nuggets that would come and go.  That's not to say these aren't good resources (especially Monte).  I just felt I needed to be more discerning about what I try to ingrain, going forward. So, I've limited my "intake" of these resources this year.

This year, I've improved, thanks in large part to purchasing an Impact Snap device that I've discussed on other threads.  Yesterday, I had another breakthrough at the range with a flushed 46* pitching wedge that went 10-15 yards farther and higher than typical. As Monte advocates, I took a moment to internalize the shot to try to make sense of how it happened. Then, I translated the "how" to a feel to employ on subsequent shots.  Not ironically, it's a feel Monte advocates.  The next couple of shots were close, but not of the quality of that first magic bullet.  The third shot, I hit with the same timing and "feel" of the first, and hit another rocket.  Had another hit and a couple more misses until the bucket ran out.  : (

Anyway, this is how I want to improve going forward. I enjoy practicing this way, and look forward to more improved, consistent golf!

Thanks for your post. It pretty much mirrors my journey. I too feel I have taken ownership of my game, as opposed to looking for the "next big thing" and feeling like I have no control over the process. And, trusting not only myself, but my swing too. I think we may know more than we think we do.

This is a bit of segue, but when I play golf I like to watch how other players swing. In some cases I see some very good things, in others I see flaws. That said, I never offer unsolicited advice. Once in a while someone will ask me what they are doing wrong. I will give them my take on it. Surprisingly it usually helps.

#30 johnnybogey

johnnybogey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36111
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

Same boat as you. This season, I am finally hitting my irons consistently. Now, if I hit a bad shot, I know what I did wrong.

Now if I could just get my driver to cooperate. 😂

Taylormade M1 440 GD Tour AD BB 6s
Ping G10 15* hybrid
Ping G10 21* hybrid
Callaway Apex 4-AW Recoil 780 F4
Cleveland CG14 54*
Cleveland CG14 58*
Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors