Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Vegas 9/8-11

61 replies to this topic

#1 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432770
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

Hey guys,

Taking a golf trip with 3 other guys to Vegas the weekend after Labor Day.  Me and another friend are 2 H.I. and the other 2 are about a 15-18.

I've done a fair bit of research and looked at a bunch of reviews on which courses to play but I'm torn on what tracks to play.

We've decided on Shadow Creek so we have a tee time on Saturday morning but we can't decide if we want to play 1 round at a better course like Cascata or Wolf Creek or play 2 rounds at say Reflection Bay/TPC Las Vegas on Sunday and Monday.  Paiute's greens are being punched the day we get there.  I also have a friend that works at Summerlin so I'll see what she can do for us as well.

Any suggestions?  It's either 2 budget friendly courses or 1 nice course for our second and possibly third round.

17' Taylormade M2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Black 62g 6.5

17' Taylormade M2 3W 15 - Matrix Ozik 80M4X Black Tie

2017 Taylormade M2 Hybrid 19 - Kuro Kage 90X

Titleist T-MB 2 Iron - Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist 716 CB (4-PW) - Project X LZ - 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52, 58) - Raw Black

Taylormade Spider Tour Black - 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 UTace10

UTace10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 350359
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

Reflection Bay was in terrible shape this last weekend. TPC Vegas was much nicer.

#3 sabram

sabram

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

Wolf Creek will be closed the week you are there. If you are willing to drive as far as Wolf Creek go the extra mile and play Sand Hollow. It's a fantastic layout and quite pretty as well.  It will be a challenge for the two low handicaps and is forgiving for the other two. After 1 pm green fees are very low. If you are looking to play 36, since Wolf Creek won't be an option, you could play Conestoga or Coral Canyon in the morning and finish on Sand Hollow. That will be a great day of golf. IMO these are better options than Cascata or TPC.

Posted Image
Conestoga #5 par 3 - 160 from white tee zoomed

Posted Image
Coral Canyon -  

Posted Image
Sand Hollow #12 - from tee

Posted Image
Sand Hollow #15;par 3  from blue tee

#4 Manbearpig13

Manbearpig13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444900
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:25 PM

Was just in this area about 2 weeks ago, so much good golf to choose from. Sand Hollow is one of my favorite courses in the area, but a bit of a drive from Las Vegas at over 2 hours (plus an hour time change). Cascata would be the easiest being just outside Vegas, and since you're playing Shadow Creek, I am guessing you guys are not too concerned with price. The whole experience of Cascata is world class in my book.

All this being said, I would take a serious look at Coyote Springs about an hour north of Vegas. It was in immaculate shape when I played it, and proved to be one of the most challenging courses from the tips I have ever played. Hardly saw anyone else on the course, and really had a sense that it was just us and the golf course.
GBB Epic SZ 9* (Atmos TS 6X Black)
XR16 3 wood 15* (Tour AD-DI 7X)
Apex CF16 3-PW (DG AMT Tour Issue X100)
Vokey SM6 50.12F, 56.10S
Mackdaddy PM Grind 60*
Bettinardi Queen B #7

#5 txeconomist

txeconomist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80753
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

I really like Cascata. It is just a fantastic overall experience.

#6 aloha b.

aloha b.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368495
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:05 AM

View Postleejohnkieh, on 10 August 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

Hey guys,

Taking a golf trip with 3 other guys to Vegas the weekend after Labor Day.  Me and another friend are 2 H.I. and the other 2 are about a 15-18.

I've done a fair bit of research and looked at a bunch of reviews on which courses to play but I'm torn on what tracks to play.

We've decided on Shadow Creek so we have a tee time on Saturday morning but we can't decide if we want to play 1 round at a better course like Cascata or Wolf Creek or play 2 rounds at say Reflection Bay/TPC Las Vegas on Sunday and Monday.  Paiute's greens are being punched the day we get there.  I also have a friend that works at Summerlin so I'll see what she can do for us as well.

Any suggestions?  It's either 2 budget friendly courses or 1 nice course for our second and possibly third round.

Shadow Creek is a fantastic first class experience!!

#7 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

View Postsabram, on 10 August 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

Wolf Creek will be closed the week you are there. If you are willing to drive as far as Wolf Creek go the extra mile and play Sand Hollow. It's a fantastic layout and quite pretty as well.  It will be a challenge for the two low handicaps and is forgiving for the other two. After 1 pm green fees are very low. If you are looking to play 36, since Wolf Creek won't be an option, you could play Conestoga or Coral Canyon in the morning and finish on Sand Hollow. That will be a great day of golf. IMO these are better options than Cascata or TPC.

Posted Image
Conestoga #5 par 3 - 160 from white tee zoomed

Posted Image
Coral Canyon -  

Posted Image
Sand Hollow #12 - from tee

Posted Image
Sand Hollow #15;par 3  from blue tee

Awesome pictures.  I think 2 hours is a bit too far for us since we have set aside 6 hours max for travel time/golf.

I'll def keep Sand Hollow in mind since others have also suggested it.

#8 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostManbearpig13, on 10 August 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Was just in this area about 2 weeks ago, so much good golf to choose from. Sand Hollow is one of my favorite courses in the area, but a bit of a drive from Las Vegas at over 2 hours (plus an hour time change). Cascata would be the easiest being just outside Vegas, and since you're playing Shadow Creek, I am guessing you guys are not too concerned with price. The whole experience of Cascata is world class in my book.

All this being said, I would take a serious look at Coyote Springs about an hour north of Vegas. It was in immaculate shape when I played it, and proved to be one of the most challenging courses from the tips I have ever played. Hardly saw anyone else on the course, and really had a sense that it was just us and the golf course.

I mean we did budget so figured SC + 2 budget courses or SC + 1 nicer course.  None of the guys have played TPC or RB before so we wouldn't mind playing there as well.

#9 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

View Postaloha b., on 11 August 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

Hey guys,

Yea I'm super excited to play hearing first hand from some friends of mine who have played there.  Apparently they ran into some celebs and were very chill and laid back.  Took pictures and what not so that would be awesome if we lucked out and ran into MJ or something.

One can dream.

#10 aloha b.

aloha b.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368495
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

View Postleejohnkieh, on 11 August 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

View Postaloha b., on 11 August 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

Hey guys,

We've decided on Shadow Creek so we have a tee time on Saturday morning but we can't decide if we want to play 1 round at a better course like Cascata or Wolf Creek or play 2 rounds at say
Reflection Bay/TPC Las Vegas on Sunday and Monday.  Paiute's greens are being punched the day we get there.  I also have a friend that works at Summerlin so I'll see what she can do for us as well.

Yea I'm super excited to play hearing first hand from some friends of mine who have played there.  Apparently they ran into some celebs and were very chill and laid back.  Took pictures and what not so that would be awesome if we lucked out and ran into MJ or something.

One can dream.

You never know and take pictures if you have time. When I played you couldn't take any pictures.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Dysfunkshun

Dysfunkshun

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431760
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and second Coyote Springs.  It's a nice course for a low price.  It's roughly 45mins out of Vegas, in the middle of absolutely nothing.  It might be a little rough on the high handicappers like myself, but it's definitely worth the experience.  Sand Hollow is awesome as well, especially the back 9.  It's a bit farther out in Hurricane, UT, but it provides a good challenge and great course.  I've not played SC or Cascatta, but I've heard nothing but good from the two.  Chimera should hopefully be back in shape by the time you get here.  TPC Las Vegas was in pretty good shape last weekend, haven't played TPC Summerlin yet.  Haven't played Reflection Bay, but that's #1 on my list.  Royal Links is good, but I think they're a little overpriced.  I've played a majority of public courses, so I'm happy to help any way I can!

#12 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

So I just finished a practice round and 2 tourney rounds at Cascata and unfortunately I honestly cannot recommend it.  Straight away I'll admit that it was very inexpensive for me/us to play at just over 100 a round plus the caddie for the practice round and they are getting ready to do course maintenence so for that price I have few complaints, but as far as a high end competitor to Shadow Creek it is not.

The range and practice facilities are top notch.  The service, outside of a few guys who seemed to be annoyed by our presence was exceptional, though after the interaction I had during the practice round I used as little of their staff for any kind of service as possible.

The Caddie we had for our PR was excellent.  The clubhouse and locker room is outstanding.

The course was in very good shape for the most part considering summer in Las Vegas. Few brown spots, outstanding fairways for the most part.  The greens were slow for tourney conditions at about 10 but they were smooth and rolled well, though difficult to read.

My criticisms are few but I think warrant considering other options...

1st. The most special thing about this course was the clubhouse, practice facility, and the sheer absurdity of a golf course being carved into a mountain in the middle of a desert.  It is an impressive engineering feat but the layout is nothing special and almost every hole either climbs or descends the mountain with drastic elevation changes.

2nd.  The bunkers were embarrassing.  the 1st 2 rounds I didn't find many bunkers but I heard fellow competitors complaining.. Day 2 of tourney the wind was blowing 20-30 and now bunkers represented safer bail out options and targets.  Many of the bunkers had so little sand that the carpet was visible and it was very uneven meaning sometimes I had plenty of sand at my feet then none under the ball.  I had several shots snag the non visible carpet one of which hurt my wrist.  I consider myself to be a very very good bunker player, as well as a wedge/trouble shot player and no amount of skill could make up for how poor the bunkers were.  Solid concrete would have at least have been predictable.

The cost for a visitor playing the Cascata is 300+ (I was told by our caddie it was recently sold and the price will be going up), then caddie fee, then tipping for staff.. this quickly gets in the 500 range and for that I would say do Shadow which all is included, guys I know who have played there (I have not) have told me drinks and some food were included and that the were able to play more than 18, but I cannot confirm this.

Paiute is by far the best bang for the buck.  Conditions are always outstanding as they have no water usage restrictions.  54 holes, excellent example of desert golf with plenty of room however very nasty desert brush should you stray off grass.  Big well maintained practice facilities.

Coyote Springs is another great option, but it's about an hour from vegas in the middle of nowhere.  It ets less play, is immaculate condition wise, but lacks the service polish as the area is still an active build zone with more courses coming as well.

Wolf Creek is a freak show.  If Paiute and Wolf creek had a child it would probably look like Cascata.  Compared to Wolf Creek, Cascata is mild, almost tame in it's layout.  Extreme elevation changes, some extreme tee boxes in some cases hanging off cliff/ridges... Not always fair, poor practice facilities are the downsides but it is certainly something to see, though once is probably be enough.

TPC Vegas is solid and should be in good shape, it was slow to come back from maintenance a month or so ago but should be solid now.

I really like Royal links, it's not exactly a pure links course but the layout is unique for the area and presents you with situations you really don't find anywhere else and is a great skill builder.

So my suggestion would be to play some combo of Paiute, TPC Vegas, and Coyote.  And if you should fare well enough at the tables to cover or subsidize a round at Shadow go for it.  Usually good golf now prices for Paiute and TPC, and Coyote usually has replay deals etc.  You can play a lot of great golf at those courses I mentioned and still spend less than 1 round at Cascata, which... from a purely golf and golf course perspective, I'd say is the worst of all the courses I listed.

Also bear in mind that many courses punch, overseed, and do seasonal maintenance starting now through early Sept.  make sure you call and ask about their maintenance schedule.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

-J

Edited by Hubijerk, 13 August 2017 - 11:04 PM.

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

#13 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostHubijerk, on 13 August 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

So I just finished a practice round and 2 tourney rounds at Cascata and unfortunately I honestly cannot recommend it.  Straight away I'll admit that it was very inexpensive for me/us to play at just over 100 a round plus the caddie for the practice round and they are getting ready to do course maintenence so for that price I have few complaints, but as far as a high end competitor to Shadow Creek it is not.

The range and practice facilities are top notch.  The service, outside of a few guys who seemed to be annoyed by our presence was exceptional, though after the interaction I had during the practice round I used as little of their staff for any kind of service as possible.

The Caddie we had for our PR was excellent.  The clubhouse and locker room is outstanding.

The course was in very good shape for the most part considering summer in Las Vegas. Few brown spots, outstanding fairways for the most part.  The greens were slow for tourney conditions at about 10 but they were smooth and rolled well, though difficult to read.

1st. The most special thing about this course was the clubhouse, practice facility, and the sheer absurdity of a golf course being carved into a mountain in the middle of a desert.  It is an impressive engineering feat but the layout is nothing special and almost every hole either climbs or descends the mountain with drastic elevation changes.

2nd.  The bunkers were embarrassing.  the 1st 2 rounds I didn't find many bunkers but I heard fellow competitors complaining.. Day 2 of tourney the wind was blowing 20-30 and now bunkers represented safer bail out options and targets.  Many of the bunkers had so little sand that the carpet was visible and it was very uneven meaning sometimes I had plenty of sand at my feet then none under the ball.  I had several shots snag the non visible carpet one of which hurt my wrist.  I consider myself to be a very very good bunker player, as well as a wedge/trouble shot player and no amount of skill could make up for how poor the bunkers were.  Solid concrete would have at least have been predictable.

The cost for a visitor playing the Cascata is 300+ (I was told by our caddie it was recently sold and the price will be going up), then caddie fee, then tipping for staff.. this quickly gets in the 500 range and for that I would say do Shadow which all is included, guys I know who have played there (I have not) have told me drinks and some food were included and that the were able to play more than 18, but I cannot confirm this.

Paiute is by far the best bang for the buck.  Conditions are always outstanding as they have no water usage restrictions.  54 holes, excellent example of desert golf with plenty of room however very nasty desert brush should you stray off grass.  Big well maintained practice facilities.

Coyote Springs is another great option, but it's about an hour from vegas in the middle of nowhere.  It ets less play, is immaculate condition wise, but lacks the service polish as the area is still an active build zone with more courses coming as well.

Wolf Creek is a freak show.  If Paiute and Wolf creek had a child it would probably look like Cascata.  Compared to Wolf Creek, Cascata is mild, almost tame in it's layout.  Extreme elevation changes, some extreme tee boxes in some cases hanging off cliff/ridges... Not always fair, poor practice facilities are the downsides but it is certainly something to see, though once is probably be enough.

TPC Vegas is solid and should be in good shape, it was slow to come back from maintenance a month or so ago but should be solid now.

I really like Royal links, it's not exactly a pure links course but the layout is unique for the area and presents you with situations you really don't find anywhere else and is a great skill builder.

So my suggestion would be to play some combo of Paiute, TPC Vegas, and Coyote.  And if you should fare well enough at the tables to cover or subsidize a round at Shadow go for it.  Usually good golf now prices for Paiute and TPC, and Coyote usually has replay deals etc.  You can play a lot of great golf at those courses I mentioned and still spend less than 1 round at Cascata, which... from a purely golf and golf course perspective, I'd say is the worst of all the courses I listed.

Also bear in mind that many courses punch, overseed, and do seasonal maintenance starting now through early Sept.  make sure you call and ask about their maintenance schedule.

-J
Really appreciate the thorough review. We definitely are gonna play shadow creek since it's sort of a bucket list course.  I was sad to see that paiute was gonna be punching the weekend we get in.

I think we're gonna do SC, TPC LV/Summerlin (dependant on a friend who works there) and reflection bay as they are pretty close to the strip.

#14 Golfinnova

Golfinnova

Paiute Wolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16582
  • Ebay ID:MdTerps1989
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

View Postleejohnkieh, on 14 August 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

-J
Really appreciate the thorough review. We definitely are gonna play shadow creek since it's sort of a bucket list course.  I was sad to see that paiute was gonna be punching the weekend we get in.

I think we're gonna do SC, TPC LV/Summerlin (dependant on a friend who works there) and reflection bay as they are pretty close to the strip.

I might be misreading this but Reflection Bay is one of the furthest courses from The Strip. However, the course selection is excellent.

#15 sabram

sabram

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

The range and practice facilities are top notch.  The service... was exceptional... The clubhouse and locker room is outstanding.

The cost for a visitor playing the Cascata is 300+ , then caddie fee, then tipping for staff.. this quickly gets in the 500 range

+1 - Hope you don't mind my excerpting your post, but the parts quoted above are all anyone needs to know about Cascata and worth repeating. It's not a course that's worth what they charge or  even at half that price.

#16 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostGolfinnova, on 14 August 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

View Postleejohnkieh, on 14 August 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

-J

I might be misreading this but Reflection Bay is one of the furthest courses from The Strip. However, the course selection is excellent.

You're right.  I forgot to state that Reflection Bay was in the price point rather than distance lol.

#17 MillerLowLife

MillerLowLife

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429114
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Bali hai is on the strip and fun. Expensive but fun.

#18 bauer22

bauer22

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158011
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with TPC Las Vegas. I played TPC and Paiute a few months ago. I actually enjoyed TPC better than the snow course at Paiute.
WITB

Driver: Taylormade M1 - Tour AD DI-7s
Woods: Callaway 816 14* - Speeder 665 S-Flex
Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3 Iron, C-Taper 120 Stiff
Irons: Edel Forged 4-PW - Modus 3 125 Stiff
Wedge: Callaway MD3 54 Degree S Grind
Putter: Taylormade DJ Spider Black - 34"
Ball: Bridgestone B330

#19 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

View Postbauer22, on 17 August 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

I don't think you can go wrong with TPC Las Vegas. I played TPC and Paiute a few months ago. I actually enjoyed TPC better than the snow course at Paiute.

Snow is the easiest and least special Paiute track I feel.  Sun is the most difficult, especially from the tips, and I think the back 9 is much more interesting than the front.  I'll use every club in my bag during a round on Sun, which is unusual, for me anyway.  More elevated greens, more risk/reward options etc.

Wolf is cool, but I don't think it's as difficult as Sun.  Some of the holes are long, and the looks are unique, but if you put you're tee ball in play the second shots in aren't as difficult as Sun imho.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

#20 mci711

mci711

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Not to hijack this post, but also going to LV soon and thinking of playing Wolf Creek. Is the best way to get there by renting a car? Is there any other option to get there. Having a car in vegas is not something I really want to deal with, but if it is the only way then i'll have to.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 FISHSTICKMAN

FISHSTICKMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479306
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:tkyjoe
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

View Postmci711, on 17 August 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Not to hijack this post, but also going to LV soon and thinking of playing Wolf Creek. Is the best way to get there by renting a car? Is there any other option to get there. Having a car in vegas is not something I really want to deal with, but if it is the only way then i'll have to.

I would definitely recommend going the rent a car route.  When I made the trip out to Wolf Creek, having a rental was a real piece of mind for keeping my clubs in a safe place and being able to head back to the strip if Mesquite got boring.  Having a car in Vegas is definitely not ideal, but doing a quick 1 day rental to go back and forth from Mesquite is definitely worth it.  

Speaking to the original post, you can't go wrong with TPC Vegas.  I did a quick trip last August, and TPC is a very solid course.  Visiting in late August/early September, some of the courses tend to not be in the best condition after a few months of the 110 degree heat everyday, but this was not the case at TPC.  The course was very green and lush, and I would certainly return to play again.20150829_152403.jpg

#22 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

So I just found out that TPC LV and Reflection Bay are closed for overseeding as a bunch of other courses are closed for overseeding.........Anyone have thoughts on the Snow Mountain course at Paiute?  Looks like their schedule will be perfect in terms of aerification schedule.  Sun Mountain will have just finished aerification.

#23 leejohnkieh

leejohnkieh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

booked the golfapalooza deal at paiute snow/ sun mountain courses. Anyone suggest taking an uber/ taxi/ rental car to get there? Which is easiest.

#24 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1399

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

I took an uber from the strip out to Aliante  golf course a few months ago.  Think out was about $25 each way. An uber to Pauite is about $35 each way.  

That's with 2 people.  You'll have to pay for the fancier uber to get a larger vehicle if it's 4 of you and clubs.

It's windy out there in the desert.

#25 Golfinnova

Golfinnova

Paiute Wolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

View Postleejohnkieh, on 21 August 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

So I just found out that TPC LV and Reflection Bay are closed for overseeding as a bunch of other courses are closed for overseeding.........Anyone have thoughts on the Snow Mountain course at Paiute?  Looks like their schedule will be perfect in terms of aerification schedule.  Sun Mountain will have just finished aerification.

Snow is in good shape as always, you'll have a good time.

#26 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

View PostGolfinnova, on 23 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

Fairways on the back are in very rough shape. Summer has taken its toll. #17 may be the worst "fairway" in Vegas. Greens are good though, especially for summer.

Edited by kg92lefty, 25 August 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#27 Golfinnova

Golfinnova

Paiute Wolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:00 AM

View Postkg92lefty, on 25 August 2017 - 12:33 AM, said:

Fairways on the back are in very rough shape. Summer has taken its toll. #17 may be the worst "fairway" in Vegas. Greens are good though, especially for summer.

"Very rough"????? A couple of brown spots don't make it very rough. Go look at The Club at Sunrise and tell me which you think is truly "very rough". Plus they are getting ready for overseed.

#28 Backspin9

Backspin9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7282
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

I just played the Club at Sunrise last Sunday.  It was a dump when it was Desert Rose and while it's a little nicer now it's still the same boring layout.  It was brown in spots but that's to be expected in the desert in the summer.  Oddly, some of the fairways were very soggy like they had been over-watered.  The greens were shaggy and kind of slow to keep them from burning out.  Then there is the Flamingo Wash that runs through the entire course, mostly on the right side of every fairway.  

I went there because it was cheap and wanted to see what the renovations were like.  It was okay I guess, just for getting out and playing a little, but I wouldn't go back there.  It's also worth noting that it is not in the greatest part of town.
PING G  Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid   GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW  Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58   Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

#29 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostGolfinnova, on 25 August 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

"Very rough"????? A couple of brown spots don't make it very rough. Go look at The Club at Sunrise and tell me which you think is truly "very rough". Plus they are getting ready for overseed.

It's not a couple brown spots. I like paiute but I'm just saying it like it is. Front nine is great, back 9 has a lot of issues. 17 fairway is mostly dead.
And if sunrise is rough it's because it's not expected to be any different. And if sunrise is getting ready to over seed that would explain it.
You compare one of the worst courses to one of the best. Everyone is having issues this summer, just have to admit it and accept it. 13 on sun looks like it will go up in flames if someone drops a cigar on it last time I was there.

Edited by kg92lefty, 25 August 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#30 Golfinnova

Golfinnova

Paiute Wolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

View Postkg92lefty, on 25 August 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

View PostGolfinnova, on 25 August 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

It's not a couple brown spots. I like paiute but I'm just saying it like it is. Front nine is great, back 9 has a lot of issues. 17 fairway is mostly dead.
And if sunrise is rough it's because it's not expected to be any different. And if sunrise is getting ready to over seed that would explain it.

Oh stop it, you're being beyond ridiculous. If you think Paiute is dead then you simply don't get out.

I played The Club at Sunrise over Memorial Day weekend, they had dirt for fairways which is something not found on any course at Paiute. I play Paiute all the time as a member so I know it in and out.

As I said, they are in process of overseeding. Will they be perfect? Nope, but even then they are way in better shape than all the other courses in the area.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors