Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Game has plateaued....

38 replies to this topic

#31 bullsfan

bullsfan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347511
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostHescrience, on 09 August 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

First, let me start by saying I've only recently gotten obsessed with this game. (Played 2 times a week since March with the exception of a couple weeks here and there)
You can see my other post where I updated my progress and I think I have shown some promising things in the span of about 6 months.
Started out at the 95-105 mark and have dropped my score to 85-95 in that span.
The last couple months though I have plateaued! Argh!
I haven't had a single lesson and my equipment is not fitted towards me at all. Let me give you guys a list of what I use
Taylormade Burner driver/3 wood
Calloway Razr 5-9iron
Calloway big bertha(olddddd) 3-4iron(Please don't ask me how this happened lol I got my fathers hand me downs and he has slight anger issues when it comes to golf but who doesnt? They are in a lake somewhere)
The newest 56 degree wedge from Cleveland(It's the RTX 2.0)
Calloway Warbird 60 degree wedge
an old bronze golfsmith sand wedge
Taylormade '79 putter(It says '79 on it, it's not from 1979)

As you can see I have a whole bunch of brands and a whole bunch of differently aged clubs....
So I guess my question is. Is it really worth it to shell 2000+(estimate) on some new clubs/fitting?
Like.. I know lessons most definitely will improve my score. but the custom fitting/new clubs??
I am only 20 years old and honestly, If I can drop my score another 10 strokes by my 21st birthday in April then I am fully 100% prepared to give it a go at dedicating every day to this and becoming professional. It sounds like a stretch I know. But I gotta try it if I can get out of this hump.
Thanks for whatever you have to say on this topic! I appreciate all criticism and feedback!

Hey you live down here by me. Do yourself a favor, get
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.

It's a short book and easy read and IT will help. Take a lesson or two after with a PGA Pro and get to work. You'll soon realize what the Pro is speaking of and you will be better able to grasp the concepts. This book will give you everything you need to set a foundation to work with, no club or new tech will give you that. Cheaper too! When you get a better understanding about golf then you can decide where to go from there.

Good luck.

Ping i20 10.5*
Sonartech ss-03 14*
Ping i25 3-U
Titleist Vokey Sm5 54* & 58*
Stainless Ping Anser 4 (the old kind)
Ping 4 Series Stand Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Striker Ace

Striker Ace

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465814
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Ben Hogan five lessons: http://www.youtube.c...LXHmo0TZiBjbVT5

#33 bervin

bervin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463524
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 09 August 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostHescrience, on 09 August 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

First, let me start by saying I've only recently gotten obsessed with this game. (Played 2 times a week since March with the exception of a couple weeks here and there)
You can see my other post where I updated my progress and I think I have shown some promising things in the span of about 6 months.
Started out at the 95-105 mark and have dropped my score to 85-95 in that span.
The last couple months though I have plateaued! Argh!
I haven't had a single lesson and my equipment is not fitted towards me at all. Let me give you guys a list of what I use
Taylormade Burner driver/3 wood
Calloway Razr 5-9iron
Calloway big bertha(olddddd) 3-4iron(Please don't ask me how this happened lol I got my fathers hand me downs and he has slight anger issues when it comes to golf but who doesnt? They are in a lake somewhere)
The newest 56 degree wedge from Cleveland(It's the RTX 2.0)
Calloway Warbird 60 degree wedge
an old bronze golfsmith sand wedge
Taylormade '79 putter(It says '79 on it, it's not from 1979)

As you can see I have a whole bunch of brands and a whole bunch of differently aged clubs....
So I guess my question is. Is it really worth it to shell 2000+(estimate) on some new clubs/fitting?
Like.. I know lessons most definitely will improve my score. but the custom fitting/new clubs??
I am only 20 years old and honestly, If I can drop my score another 10 strokes by my 21st birthday in April then I am fully 100% prepared to give it a go at dedicating every day to this and becoming professional. It sounds like a stretch I know. But I gotta try it if I can get out of this hump.
Thanks for whatever you have to say on this topic! I appreciate all criticism and feedback!

1. Most professionals don't set out to be professionals. They just love golf and the rest takes care of itself. Don't be an ego golfer be a mastery golfer (and if you don't know what this means, buy some of gio valentine's books).

2. Don't listen to anyone who tells you great golfers need great short games. It's nonsense and it's antiquated. All great golfers have one thing in common - they hit tons of GIRs. Ball striking is king. The tour average from the sand is 2.74. If all you do is hack it out and two putt you won't be the worst on tour. With a handful of exceptions, professional golf is a collection of the best full swing players in the world. "Making par from anywhere" is a myth if you actually look at professional statistics.  Some of them can do that but they are a tiny minority.  You should focus on short game once your hitting 11-16 greens every single round. Not before.

3. Don't ever confuse score with game. Your score may have plateu'd. That doesn't mean you are an identical ability level. It can take a long time for improvement to show up in your scores.

4. Don't listen to anyone who says you can't do it. Your life is yours and you only get one. Read nick oherns book about how he made the tour. It's not much different from you right now.

5. Start playing in events right now. Playing with buddies and randoms is fun and all but it's about as much like playing in a tournament as whiffle ball is to baseball. Get used to it. The only way to shed the fear of tournaments is to look like an idiot in them a couple hundred times. Start now.

As I often do, I find myself agreeing almost whole-heartedly with PSGs advice here.

If putting was as important as amateurs describe it to be, then Adam Scott wouldn't be on tour. This is obviously the extreme end, but don't kid yourself - look at actual PGA tour data for middle of the pack players and you find GIR percentages much higher than even your normal "scratch" players in the local clubhouse hit on a regular basis. And frankly, they do it from all over. From 200 yards these guys are hitting greens - OFTEN. Obviously, proximity to the home averages decline, but this is where they 2 putt, move on with par, and attack the birdie holes.

If I could offer any advice, it would be this:

1) Work with someone who,

A. Knows the game, and I mean really understands the nuances of golf at a very high level. I'm talking about someone who's had exposure to extremely competitive golf - not your local scratch who cleans house on Saturday morning In the money games.

B. Knows the fundamentals of a good swing - seems self explanatory here...

C. Is progressive in their thinking/teaching. I was told my entire youth that I'd never make it competitively with my very strong grip and shut clubface. It was taboo in golf to play with this kind of grip as I would never be able to control my golf ball well enough to compete at the next level. Now you're lucky to find a new or younger player on tour without a strong grip. My point, your coach/instructor needs to be flexible and progressive.

D. Does not try to re-invent your golf swing. I know teachers who preach one swing, as if it's the only swing that can work. In reality, it's the only swing they know. There is a reason the PGA tour is filled with golfers with drastically different looking swings. The reality is, they all look great at impact, they are on plane, with a square clubface. This goes back to the fundamentals.

Anyway, I'll stop my (hopefully somewhat coherent) ramblings. If you are truly obsessed, become a student of the game and learn the nuances of competitive golf. As Pine said, there is no better way to learn and grow than to actually compete.

Good luck, OP!

TM '17 M1 460 - PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 tipped 1"
Callaway XR16 14* - GD Tour AD DI 8x
Ping Anser 20* 3H - Aldila NV 85x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21* Driving Iron - Aldila NV 85x
Cleveland CG1 Black Pearl (4-PW) - TT Black Gold S
Cleveland RTX 2.0 Tour Raw 54* - KBS Tour 120 S
Callaway MD PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0

#34 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 10556

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostMuskieCy, on 09 August 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Start 3 feet from the hole, master that and move to 6". See how fast you the point of no return comes at you.

Then do it again,...and again,....and again......

When you think you can play a bit, play in your state association events. Get your head handed to you.

Then do it again,...and again,....and again......

You will improve by leaps and bounds, become bored with chop and giggle with your buddies, and then realize the zen of GolfWRX.

this man speaks the truth! ^^
17 M1 440 8.5 ( tour issue head ) Fuji Atmos Black 6X ( limited WRX special addition 16/100)
17 M1 15* (tour issue head) Matrix Black Tie M4 80X  
Titleist TMB 2 iron Modus 130x
Titleist Tour Issue 680 Proto 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Copper sm6 53 300 series copper 59  S400
Cameron Newport Beach CT

B330S

#35 BenHoganSlam1953

BenHoganSlam1953

Professional Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225599
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 09 August 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Well at least you STARTED shooting 105...some people start shooting over 150 and have to go down from there.

Yep - those were the days ... but I had fun

X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5 (Aldila Tour Green XStiff)
MP-650 18 FW / 19 Hybrid (Orochi stiff)
MP-32 4i - PW (DG S300ss)
SM5 54F, 58M, SM4 62T
Boccieri CX2
opti-vibe weighting

#36 LaymanM

LaymanM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130511
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

Golf is tough!  I'm stuck at 11 since last fall.   A couple of 76 and pars on one 9. Right now fall apart on a few holes.  Too many doubles and triples.   Comes from OB penalties, missing too many greens and 2 with occasional 3 put.  

For instance, Wednesday in my league shot 44 with 3 triples and 1 birdie.   I had 3 OB balls.  1 result of very bad luck.

Week before shot 40 with 2 birdies and 2 doubles.  

Plan and simple, just need better shot consistency tee to green.  Right now I just think I need to improve my swing tempo.
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero
Callaway Epic fairway
Callaway Steelhead XR 3&4 hybrid
Edel Forged CB irons
Edel Wedges 55/60
Yes! Sophia putter

#37 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 608

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostLaymanM, on 12 August 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Golf is tough!  I'm stuck at 11 since last fall.   A couple of 76 and pars on one 9. Right now fall apart on a few holes.  Too many doubles and triples.   Comes from OB penalties, missing too many greens and 2 with occasional 3 put.  

For instance, Wednesday in my league shot 44 with 3 triples and 1 birdie.   I had 3 OB balls.  1 result of very bad luck.

Plan and simple, just need better shot consistency tee to green.  Right now I just think I need to improve my swing tempo.

Shooting 44 with three OB balls is really impressive. Kudos. Shows a huge capacity to score.

Maybe instead of "swing tempo" you need to change where you aim. It is almost never correct to aim up the center of the fairway, for example.

I agree that golf is tough, but it's not always about the swing! If you don't aim well you don't want a good swing!
2012 J40 445 9.5*, Whiteboard 62
2013 Xhot2 14.5*, Tour Green 75
2017 CF16 3 (18*), KBS Tour 90
2008 a4 Forged 4-PW, s300 SL
2003 RAC Satin 51* 56* 60*, s400 Tour Issue
2008 Custom Edel
2017 TP5x

#38 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1845

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 12 August 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Shooting 44 with three OB balls is really impressive. Kudos. Shows a huge capacity to score.

Maybe instead of "swing tempo" you need to change where you aim. It is almost never correct to aim up the center of the fairway, for example.

I agree that golf is tough, but it's not always about the swing! If you don't aim well you don't want a good swing!
This is good advice. A safe shot that works is always better than a shot that was almost perfect...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#39 LaymanM

LaymanM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130511
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:23 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 12 August 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Thanks and also very frustrating lol
Appreciate the advice, I have started to out more thought into this for each club in the bag.  Work in progress, golf is a tough sport
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero
Callaway Epic fairway
Callaway Steelhead XR 3&4 hybrid
Edel Forged CB irons
Edel Wedges 55/60
Yes! Sophia putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors