Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New College Golf Coach DIII

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glfr9412

glfr9412

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305911
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Hello all,

I was recently hired as the head golf coach for a small DIII school. Are there any coaches here that could offer some advice on recruiting strategy?

WITB- LEFTY (sometimes a woman's right handed 6-iron)
Driver: Ping Anser 9.5* Diamana Ahina 70 Stiff
Fairway Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 15* Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black 9031 18* Mitsubishi JAVLNFX Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Mp-52 4-PW True Temper S300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5
52.12 F Grind
56.14 F Grind
60.07 S Grind
True Temper DG Spinner Shafts
Putter: Odyssey Versa #1 Putter Black/White

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Smpear

Smpear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139765
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I am not a coach but would also like to hear recruiting strategies from coach standpoint. My son is starting the process of targeting certain D2 and D3 schools in TX by emailing, mailing then ultimately calling. As a small D3 you could probably star by getting to know. High school coaches to see who might be a good fit from their teams.

What I wonder about from a coached standpoint is how many of the coaches are familiar with the different levels of play in nearby junior tours. For example shooting 72 on a tour playing at 6400 yards might be somewhat equivalent to a 78 playing from 6800 yards. So I hope coaches look beyond just scoring average to see how a player might fit their team and look look at tournaments played at college yardages, junior golf scoreboard ranking etc.

#3 agatha

agatha

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1316

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

Not a coach either but was a parent of a son who was recruited D1 for golf.  I learned a lot in the process but what stuck out to me the most was integrity.  There was a coach (who I will not name) who did some illegal recruiting of my son.  He came to a tournament, talked to me the whole time, offered a written scholarship at that event to my son and all of this happened well before the time he was even allowed to contact us.  
Now, sure it felt nice to be wanted and it was really cool but once I found out (via other coaches) that it was totally out of line with the NCAA I felt right away that that coach would not be the right place for my son.  I felt if he was willing to break the rules once what would stop him from doing it again?   The coach my son ended up choosing followed all the rules and I respected him a lot for that.  
Also parents and players talk to each other A LOT during the recruiting process just as coaches talk to each other.  Some coaches are well liked and respected and there are some that parents learn that many are not a fan of.    
I am pretty sure D3 has different rules and I know you don't have $ for sports but its also known that schools can find money other places.  Best of luck to you with your new position.

#4 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 23109

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

The Very Best to You in your new endeavor🍻

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳️
RP

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

#5 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 2210

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Good luck in the new job. Wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but I'm told those never come out of my mouth or enter my brain

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#6 Sling

Sling

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178146
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Postglfr9412, on 08 August 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Hello all,

I was recently hired as the head golf coach for a small DIII school. Are there any coaches here that could offer some advice on recruiting strategy?

I'm not a coach but I am the parent of a 17 year old who wants to play college golf. Now every parent thinks their kid is hot stuff so treat what I say with a pinch of salt but here goes...

My son is languishing somewhere around 3,000 in the JGS rankings based on the last year of tournament play but recently he has started to do well, he has finished top 10 in 5 out of the last 6 tournaments he has played in and won 2 of them. His scoring average used by JGS is close to 79 but this Summer it is just a shade over 73, if he does nothing more for 6 months he will shoot up the rankings as his bad rounds roll off. Ok, so a lot of kids are in this situation what of it ?

Well a month ago a DIII coach contacted my son and said they'd like to speak to him. Up to now his head was filled with dreams of being a DI player but this is the first time a coach has reached out to him. He has now researched the college and spoken to a few alumni, he is genuinely excited about a place he had never heard of 6 weeks ago, he now is coming around to the fact it is better to be the number one player (assuming he keeps improving as he is) on a DIII team than 5 or 6 at a DI outfit. For the coach it is the mirror image, you have a player who might end up anchoring the team, who has not yet been recruited and who in 6 months time might have been unattainable.

So this coach was smart. Look inside the scores in JGS and see who has improved the most in recent months, look outside the top 1,500. Cold call them and flatter them. Yes this seems odd given how much advice there is out there from the players point of view but it certainly worked for my son's prospective coach. There's a long way to go and he might end up DI anyway but it was certainly exciting for my son and he might end up the anchor on a DIII team because a coach took the time to sift through results available to all. Obviously apologies if you've already done this or if it is a widely recognized tactics, I'm fairly new to this not least because my son got so much better so quickly, but that is of course who you should be looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors