Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Traveling to Monterrey on Sept 8th. Besides Pebble Beach, where all should I play?

46 replies to this topic

#31 Jungleland

Jungleland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostBUCKEYERBALL88, on 08 August 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

View PostFairwayFred, on 04 August 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

If your a member at a private club see if your pro can get you a time at Monterey Peninsula CC.  Both courses are fantastic with amazing ocean views.

Isn't the non accompanied guest fee around $500?

Looking at my statement from my club, the charge back last summer was $275/$125 (first round/second round) - don't know if that was cutting a deal or not but $400 for the Shore and the Dunes is stealing

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 chrisp

chrisp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15894
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

Fellow WRXr's,

Thank you for replying to my post. :)

I had been busy with work & completely forgot I submitted this topic.

Then it started raining on us here in Houston.
Lucky for me I was one fortunate ones and suffered no flooding.

Anyways, I fly out Friday morning to SF and will arrive in Monterrey that evening.

My buddy can only play on the weekends as he in classes all day at the Naval school.
He is interested in playing Bayonet and Black as well as Pacific Grove.  
So I believe we will try to play those courses and then I have mon-fri next week to get on where I can as a single.

Will definitely see about getting on at Pasatiempo.

I am not a member of any club.

Since I am staying at my friend's place, I will have to try to walk on at Pebble Beach as well as Spyglass.
Arrive early and ask I would assume.
Any advice at walking-on at those two courses?

Thanks

#33 Jungleland

Jungleland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:51 AM

View Postchrisp, on 07 September 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Fellow WRXr's,

Anyways, I fly out Friday morning to SF and will arrive in Monterrey that evening.

My buddy can only play on the weekends as he in classes all day at the Naval school.
So I believe we will try to play those courses and then I have mon-fri next week to get on where I can as a single.

Since I am staying at my friend's place, I will have to try to walk on at Pebble Beach as well as Spyglass.

Thanks

Thanks to Aloha's advise I called in for Spyglass and Spanish several weeks ago.  I was able to get a 7:40 single slot on Spyglass for next Friday so times were and are still available if you call the main reservation line.  Playing Spanish the following day at 7:20 with Poppy Hills both afternoons.  Pebble is the one you need to wait until 24 hours ahead to call in.

Have a good time

#34 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 14590

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

You can call the reservation line and get a tee time at Spyglass. It shouldn't be an issue with a weekday I imagine.

Pebble has a 24 hour booking window for non-resort guests. If you want to play on Monday, give the reservation line a call at 8:00 am PDT on Sunday morning.

Pasatiempo can be booked online at any time, or you can call the pro shop. It's a public course, so there's no problem getting on.

#35 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 629

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

I lived on the peninsula for the better part of a year and played most of the tracks in the area.

Must play: Pasatiempo for sure. MacKenzie is a genius and Pasa is certainly one of his masterpieces. I'd put Spyglass in this also. The course conditioning is 10x what it is at Pebble. Outside of the first 4 holes it doesn't have the views Pebble has, but it's better maintained. Greens are MUCH better and a lot faster.

Also play: Carmel Valley Ranch and Quail Lodge are going to be your "different" courses. They're in the Carmel Valley and further inland, which results in vastly different playing conditions than what you'll see on the peninsula. Much faster and firmer. Plus the weather will be a solid 15-20* warmer.

I was unimpressed overall with Poppy Hills, but that was pre-reno and I've heard it's a much better golf course now. It was in great condition, just felt like something I could play in Northern MI. Would still probably be worth a trip around to say you played it, especially since the TOUR plays there each year.

Bayonet/Blackhorse is a brute. I wasn't too impressed with the course myself. It was alright, but there were others I'd play before it. It's relatively cheap for the area which, in my opinion, is why it gets so much play/reviews from folks.

An out-of-the box suggestion for a course to play would be Eagle Ridge in Gilroy. It's probably an hour from the peninsula (if I'm remembering correctly) and is a Johnny Miller design. It's much more desert golf. Very firm and fast conditions. Course was always extremely well maintained. Very difficult too. We used to play there quite a bit when we went up to the city or to San Jose.

If you meet anybody who can get you on the private courses, there are a plethora of good ones to choose from that don't include the obvious one. Tehama (owned by Clint Eastwood), The Preserve, MPCC, etc.

For things to do, make sure you check out Carmel village. It's an awesome seaside town. Very quaint. Lots of good little shops and restaurants. Cannery Row/Fisherman's Wharf are cool too if you want a more "lively" atmosphere. That'll be where most of the tourists will be. I really enjoyed the aquarium which is right there too. Oh, and be sure to drive down to Big Sur (not sure how far you can get down Hwy 1 right now after the landslide). It's absolutely incredible the views you'll get.

The Crown and Anchor is a great pub if you're looking for a drink. It's an old British style pub. Very cool place to snag a drink that won't be super loud and obnoxious, or have resort prices. There's also a great sports bar in one of the hotels that had all the games on if you're looking for a place to catch a game, but I'm blanking on which hotel it was.

Callaway Epic 10.5* - testing a variety of shafts
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron - Graphite Design Tour AD 95x or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
Nike Engage 54* SS & 58* DS - TT Dynamic Gold S400
Custom Nike Method 001 or Nike Origin B1-01
Taylormade TP5x

#36 mctrees02

mctrees02

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116510
  • Handicap:5ish
  • Ebay ID:mctrees02
GolfWRX Likes : 255

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

If you're going play at least 2 rounds, join the Duke's Club for substantial savings at Spyglass and Spanish Bay.  You'll also get really cheap rounds at Del Monte which are good ways to fill up your day.

As a single, get early morning tee times at Spanish/Spy and ask for an afternoon replay round at Pebble when you check-in at the pro shop this AM (they may make you wait until you finish your round to confirm).  I've been going out there for years and have played Pebble 4 times as an afternoon replay round.  The best part is that the replay is only $245 instead of $500.

#37 PepsiDuck

PepsiDuck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27419
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostMichiganMan, on 07 September 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

The Crown and Anchor is a great pub if you're looking for a drink. It's an old British style pub. Very cool place to snag a drink that won't be super loud and obnoxious, or have resort prices. There's also a great sports bar in one of the hotels that had all the games on if you're looking for a place to catch a game, but I'm blanking on which hotel it was.

Marriott up the street from Crown and Anchor.  The sports bar (Characters) closed down about 6 months ago.  They opened a new more traditional restaurant on the property.  Peter B's is part of the Portola tucked away in the back with decent beer and TVs for the games.
TaylorMade M2 (2017) 10.5* - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 15.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - GD Tour AD 85X
Miura CB57 4-P - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Miura Series 1957 Wedges - 51* (Y), 56* (K) - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 3.0 60*
Toulon Memphis

#38 Dmalpine1

Dmalpine1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481322
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

I'd suggest del monte,,,very neat course,,very playable

#39 aloha b.

aloha b.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368495
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

View Postmctrees02, on 07 September 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

If you're going play at least 2 rounds, join the Duke's Club for substantial savings at Spyglass and Spanish Bay.  You'll also get really cheap rounds at Del Monte which are good ways to fill up your day.

As a single, get early morning tee times at Spanish/Spy and ask for an afternoon replay round at Pebble when you check-in at the pro shop this AM (they may make you wait until you finish your round to confirm).  I've been going out there for years and have played Pebble 4 times as an afternoon replay round.  The best part is that the replay is only $245 instead of $500.

Dukes Club wouldn't be worth it if you're only going to play Spyglass and Spanish Bay. Here's why, rack rate for both is $685 and  Dukes cost $355 to join for a year and $390 to play both for a total of $745. Now Dukes would be worth it if you play Del Monte and if you can get them to give you a free round at Del Monte otherwise the cost for Dukes during the week is $48 compared to $110. With Dukes you would also get $30 of Del Monte bucks which can be used on the food cart or restaurant. You also get free passes to Peter Hay which is the 9 hole course across the parking lot from Pebble.You also get 25% off in the pro shop including custom orders for golf stuff. Dukes club let's you bring 3 guests at the Dukes rate for Spyglass and Spanish Bay  and you also get 20% dining and drinks at most Pebble restaurants. If you decide to join Dukes go to Del Monte in person so that you can get the package.

#40 aloha b.

aloha b.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

View Postchrisp, on 07 September 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Fellow WRXr's,

Thanks

Great to hear that you may through Harvey okay!
As mentioned you can make reservations at Spyglass now.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 eman1148

eman1148

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481250
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:eman1148
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

pacific grove is great choice, bring your big boy britches if the wind is up!

#42 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostPepsiDuck, on 07 September 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Marriott up the street from Crown and Anchor.  The sports bar (Characters) closed down about 6 months ago.  They opened a new more traditional restaurant on the property.  Peter B's is part of the Portola tucked away in the back with decent beer and TVs for the games.

I thought it was the Marriott, but it's been a decade now since I lived there. Surprised it closed down. That bar was packed every Saturday and Sunday during football season. Had to get there right when they opened in order to find a seat/table most days.
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron - Graphite Design Tour AD 95x or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade TP5x

#43 JumboJack

JumboJack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14586
  • Handicap:0.3
  • Ebay ID:go.kings
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

FWIW. I was in Monterey in April to play Pebble. While I was there I also played Del Monte. I really, really enjoyed it. Very good condition. Weekday deals abound on GolfNow (I think I snagged a 50.00 hot deal).
Also. There is a Pebble Beach "Outlet" near the aquarium. Only place other than the courses to get Pebble licensed stuff. Some killer deals to be had.
TaylorMade M2 2017 10.5 AD-DI 6S
TaylorMade M2 15* Fuji Speeder 661 S
PING Anser Hybrid Kuro Kage S 17* 20*
PING i Series 5-UW Modus 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 54* 58*  Modus 115 Wedge S
PING Craz-e h
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1x

#44 aloha b.

aloha b.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

View PostJumboJack, on 08 September 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

FWIW. I was in Monterey in April to play Pebble. While I was there I also played Del Monte. I really, really enjoyed it. Very good condition. Weekday deals abound on GolfNow (I think I snagged a 50.00 hot deal).
Also. There is a Pebble Beach "Outlet" near the aquarium. Only place other than the courses to get Pebble licensed stuff. Some killer deals to be had.

I also like Del Monte and not because I get one free round for a guest and myself once a year. I really like the PB outlet store on Cannery Row as well. They do have some great deals!

#45 RighttoLeft

RighttoLeft

GolfWRX Contrarian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

I lived on the peninsula for the better part of a year and played most of the tracks in the area.

DLI or Post Grad?

Agree about Bayonet and BH. I lived at Ft. Ord from Jul 95 to Feb 96 and played them a couple of times each. Just didn't care for them. I played 90% of the time at Del Monte or PG Muni.

Is Crown and Anchor the renamed Mucky Duck?

Edited by RighttoLeft, 15 September 2017 - 08:52 AM.

Callaway GBB 10.5° (turned down to 9.5°) with Diamana D+ 70 stiff
Callaway GBB 3 and 5 woods with Diamana S+ 70 stiff
Callaway XR Pro 4-GW with KBS Tour V stiff
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind (Tour Chrome) 56° and 60°
Odyssey 2-Ball SRT w/ sight line
Titleist Pro V1X

#46 BUCKEYERBALL88

BUCKEYERBALL88

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358819
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostRighttoLeft, on 15 September 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

DLI or Post Grad?

Agree about Bayonet and BH. I lived at Ft. Ord from Jul 95 to Feb 96 and played them a couple of times each. Just didn't care for them. I played 90% of the time at Del Monte or PG Muni.

My 10 round splits:
6 pacific Grove
2 poppy hills
1 black horse
1 bayonet

5 Pasatiempo
3 spyglass
2 pebble

#47 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

View PostRighttoLeft, on 15 September 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

DLI or Post Grad?

Neither actually. I was working on the peninsula as a golf intern. I was only 20 at the time so my experience with the bar scene was pretty minimal. Happened upon the Crown and Anchor one day with my roommate and thought it was an awesome pub, but couldn't drink their unfortunately. My boss at the time new the owner and he was incredibly kind and generous despite my not being able to partake in the beverages.

To me there's just so many really good golf courses in the area that if I'm going to play one without a view of the water, I'm probably going to head further north (Santa Cruz, San Jose, etc.) or further into the Carmel Valley
Taylormade TP5x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors