Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 7 votes

Taylormade P790 Irons


3539 replies to this topic

#2071 Smitty1304

Smitty1304

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388440
  • Joined: 07/28/2015
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

View Postdpodboy, on 08 March 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

I don’t know shrimp about track man numbers so can someone tell me if these irons are a good fit?  My current gamers are rocketbladez with c-taper stiff.  Please ignore the one worm burner with my gamer.  Thanks!Posted ImagePosted Image

Carry seems low for that CHS. I was carrying 185-190 with ~92 mph.

WITB:
8* Epic SZ w/ Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
M1 Hybrid
3W & 5W Aeroburner w/ White Tie S
4-PW JPX 900 Forged w/ C-Taper Lite X
56 Degree SW Cleveland RTX
Evnroll ER2 34"

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/golfhacker1304/

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2072 dpodboy

dpodboy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125237
  • Joined: 03/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

View PostSmitty1304, on 11 March 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

View Postdpodboy, on 08 March 2018 - 03:10 PM, said:

I don’t know shrimp about track man numbers so can someone tell me if these irons are a good fit?  My current gamers are rocketbladez with c-taper stiff.  Please ignore the one worm burner with my gamer.  Thanks!Posted ImagePosted Image

Carry seems low for that CHS. I was carrying 185-190 with ~92 mph.

Any idea why this would be?  Bad head / shaft combo?  I don't think I miss hit many of them.  Thanks again, just trying to choose between these and some G700's.

2

#2073 CT10

CT10

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93225
  • Joined: 08/29/2009
  • Location:NORTHERN IRELAND
  • Ebay ID:ladiesdayblues
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:17 AM

I'm struggling with the 4 and 5 iron in my set, seems they go the same distance plus I'm not really getting a great strike on either. Pretty flat ball flight no real launch with them The rest of the set fits fine just these two clubs.
Could it be the loft on them? Anyone any pointers please, much appreciated!!

3

#2074 cjblake09

cjblake09

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
  • Joined: 07/03/2006
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

I am having the same issue and might just drop one and add another wedge or 5 wood.  Funny thing is i am hitting the 4 iron better than the 5 and might drop the 5 iron.

4

#2075 chisag

chisag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Joined: 05/27/2005
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1184

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

View PostCT10, on 12 March 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

I'm struggling with the 4 and 5 iron in my set, seems they go the same distance plus I'm not really getting a great strike on either. Pretty flat ball flight no real launch with them The rest of the set fits fine just these two clubs.
Could it be the loft on them? Anyone any pointers please, much appreciated!!


...Fwiw, I was the exact opposite. I initially put the 4/5/6/7 irons in the bag with my Cobra Forged Tour pw-8. As I became more comfortable with the 790 short irons I put them all in my bag and that is where they will stay. I did bend my 5-pw 1* weak and left the 4 iron at standard loft so I imagine that helped. 2.5* difference is too close and 3.5* was much better for gapping between the 4 and 5. I can say without reservation these are the easiest to hit and most accurate and forgiving long irons I have ever hit. If I didn't love my King Utility 3 iron so much, I would add a 790 3 iron too.

Cobra F8 ... Even Flow Blue 65s
Cobra F8 15* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
Cobra F6 Baffler stock shaft
Exotics CBX Iron Wood 17* ... HZRDUS Black 85hy
4-pw TaylorMade P790 Recoil Prototype 95's
SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Select  33"

5

#2076 CT10

CT10

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93225
  • Joined: 08/29/2009
  • Location:NORTHERN IRELAND
  • Ebay ID:ladiesdayblues
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

View Postcjblake09, on 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

I am having the same issue and might just drop one and add another wedge or 5 wood.  Funny thing is i am hitting the 4 iron better than the 5 and might drop the 5 iron.

I hit 5 iron, marginally better than 4 iron in these, not great with either I might add.
Coming from Apex CF16 where I had 3,4 and 5 iron in that end of the bag and loved them, couldn't miss with those!!

6

#2077 CT10

CT10

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93225
  • Joined: 08/29/2009
  • Location:NORTHERN IRELAND
  • Ebay ID:ladiesdayblues
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

View Postchisag, on 12 March 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

View PostCT10, on 12 March 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

I'm struggling with the 4 and 5 iron in my set, seems they go the same distance plus I'm not really getting a great strike on either. Pretty flat ball flight no real launch with them The rest of the set fits fine just these two clubs.
Could it be the loft on them? Anyone any pointers please, much appreciated!!


...Fwiw, I was the exact opposite. I initially put the 4/5/6/7 irons in the bag with my Cobra Forged Tour pw-8. As I became more comfortable with the 790 short irons I put them all in my bag and that is where they will stay. I did bend my 5-pw 1* weak and left the 4 iron at standard loft so I imagine that helped. 2.5* difference is too close and 3.5* was much better for gapping between the 4 and 5. I can say without reservation these are the easiest to hit and most accurate and forgiving long irons I have ever hit. If I didn't love my King Utility 3 iron so much, I would add a 790 3 iron too.

Maybe tinkering with the loft of both is the way to go for me, need to get them checked to see if theres anything off in that!

7

#2078 cjblake09

cjblake09

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
  • Joined: 07/03/2006
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostCT10, on 12 March 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

View Postcjblake09, on 12 March 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

I am having the same issue and might just drop one and add another wedge or 5 wood.  Funny thing is i am hitting the 4 iron better than the 5 and might drop the 5 iron.

I hit 5 iron, marginally better than 4 iron in these, not great with either I might add.
Coming from Apex CF16 where I had 3,4 and 5 iron in that end of the bag and loved them, couldn't miss with those!!

I came from those irons as well.  I do like the 790's in the long irons but not as much in the short irons so might go with the 770's in 7-PW.

8

#2079 pingg1071

pingg1071

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133183
  • Joined: 07/16/2011
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

I am getting ready to order the 790's and am curious what shafts people are choosing and why. I played DG s300's forever, but was fitted for KBS Tour's four years ago with a set of 714 AP2's. My driver swing speed is 105-110 with the HZRDUS Black 75x. I have a moderate transition. At 59, I know my swing speed will slow over the coming years and was thinking it might be better to go with a lighter shaft. My ball flight is on the high side and from what I have read, the 790's launch high.
9.5*   TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Red 75s
18.5* TaylorMade RBZ 3 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
790   5-AW TaylorMade Modus 120 S
54*   TaylorMade ATV KBS Tour-V
58*   TaylorMade Hi-Toe Modus 115
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

9

#2080 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
  • Joined: 08/22/2011
  • Handicap:+.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1501

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

View Postscratchswinger, on 11 March 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

I gave up on these irons.... Great irons and cool idea but it needs some work. Played a round on firm greens rolling at 12, 20mph winds and greens that are not accessible by rolling the ball on. I LOVE hitting the ball high. 790s are very difficult to flight and have accurate distance control. Great iron but too one dimensional.


Just so Iím understanding this right, they go extremely high and you had a hard time flighting them down?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#2081 odshot68

odshot68

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
  • Joined: 06/04/2007
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?
Ping G400 LST 9.4 Tensei Pro White 60 Stiff
'17 TaylorMade M2 Tour 3HL Wood Tensei Pro White
TaylorMade P790 3 Iron DGS300
Titleist 718CB 4-9 DG S300
Vokey SM7 46F, 54S ,60D
Scotty Cameron Limited Edition Del Mar Buttonback Putter
TaylorMade TP5X

11

#2082 Mshepard133

Mshepard133

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388252
  • Joined: 07/27/2015
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:Civicracer133
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

Curious about this as well. Have a set coming and currently play a 50* vokey as well. I ordered with the A wedge to see if I like it or not

12

#2083 np78

np78

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294750
  • Joined: 02/02/2014
  • Location:Ft Lauderdale / Ontario / Pittsburgh
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

View Postodshot68, on 11 March 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

Has anyone played these with the AMT shaft and can give thoughts

amt Is a great shaft

13

#2084 SM1098

SM1098

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479056
  • Joined: 08/15/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I went Vokey over the AW in the set, mainly because of versatility and feel. 790 AW isn't terrible though.

14

#2085 gioguy21

gioguy21

    Habitual Line Stepper

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Joined: 04/09/2013
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:+0.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3969

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostMshepard133, on 13 March 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

Curious about this as well. Have a set coming and currently play a 50* vokey as well. I ordered with the A wedge to see if I like it or not
if you go to a fitter and get your gaps appropriately figured out, ie bending different clubs at various lofts to get the yardage gaps YOU need...why wouldn't you play an A wedge? it'd be more forgiving than the vokey for sure, especially if you take full shots with it.

just my .02.

M3 460 10.5 / Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 1"

M4 3W / Diamana BF 90TX

P790 3I / Tensei Pro White Hybrid 90TX

MP18 MB 4I-PW /  CTaper Lite X

SM7 52 (8), 58 (8)  /  DG S200

MD3 Chrome 64 (8)  /  DG S200


Putters:

Piretti Tour Custom 801R / 35.5"


TP5x #1 "GIO"


15

#2086 odshot68

odshot68

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
  • Joined: 06/04/2007
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

View Postnp78, on 13 March 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 11 March 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

Has anyone played these with the AMT shaft and can give thoughts

amt Is a great shaft

Iíve hit with other heads and liked it but fitter didnít have this with tm tip to put on the 790

View PostSM1098, on 13 March 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I went Vokey over the AW in the set, mainly because of versatility and feel. 790 AW isn't terrible though.
Curious what you didnít like about the matching aw?
Ping G400 LST 9.4 Tensei Pro White 60 Stiff
'17 TaylorMade M2 Tour 3HL Wood Tensei Pro White
TaylorMade P790 3 Iron DGS300
Titleist 718CB 4-9 DG S300
Vokey SM7 46F, 54S ,60D
Scotty Cameron Limited Edition Del Mar Buttonback Putter
TaylorMade TP5X

16

#2087 np78

np78

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294750
  • Joined: 02/02/2014
  • Location:Ft Lauderdale / Ontario / Pittsburgh
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

anyone play these with PXI?

17

#2088 chisag

chisag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Joined: 05/27/2005
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1184

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Postswizbeatz, on 13 March 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

View Postscratchswinger, on 11 March 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

I gave up on these irons.... Great irons and cool idea but it needs some work. Played a round on firm greens rolling at 12, 20mph winds and greens that are not accessible by rolling the ball on. I LOVE hitting the ball high. 790s are very difficult to flight and have accurate distance control. Great iron but too one dimensional.


Just so I'm understanding this right, they go extremely high and you had a hard time flighting them down?



... I have played just about every kind of iron there is. More than 10 sets of MB's too many forged players CB's to count and now the P790's. I am not a high swing speed player at 100-105 driver ss, and I have a smooth swing and transition but I can do anything with the P790's as I can with any clubs I have played. Easy to control the trajectory as well as working the ball side to side. I am in Phoenix playing 30 rounds in 30 days and used one back 9 to play all kinds of shots with my 790's. I play to a + index and I do not normally work the ball to pin locations and instead of hitting an 8 yd cut to a back right pin tucked behind deep bunker I just hit it 10 feet left and take my chances with a longer birdie putt. But I played exactly those kinds of shots for the back 9 and the 790's respond with the kind of shot my ability allowed. Cutting or drawing the ball was no problem at all, getting the right distance was more difficult as I just don't normally play those kinds of shots, so coming up a little short or long happened more often than not.

... But the point is the performance was there if you have the skill, just like any other irons I have played. I hit them a hair higher than my Cobra Forged Tours but certainly no ballooning or trajectory problems. And I appreciate the higher trajectory in my long irons. I am honestly more impressed with the 790's than any iron I have ever played considering how forgiving they are yet still have the ability to pull off any shot. Ymmv of course ...
Cobra F8 ... Even Flow Blue 65s
Cobra F8 15* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
Cobra F6 Baffler stock shaft
Exotics CBX Iron Wood 17* ... HZRDUS Black 85hy
4-pw TaylorMade P790 Recoil Prototype 95's
SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Select  33"

18

#2089 Therealpatgiles

Therealpatgiles

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495858
  • Joined: 03/10/2018
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

Just my humble opinion, I think if you're trying the p790 you should look at the ap3 as well. I have very similar numbers to the above posted pic except my carry was at 190 with the ap3. The 790 was shorter. Not sure why.
Taylormade m3 9.5
Taylormade m4 3 wood
Taylormade p790 18 degree
Epon af 503 4-w
Vokey sm7 48 54 60
Epon i33 rose gold putter

19

#2090 odshot68

odshot68

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
  • Joined: 06/04/2007
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Ordered up 4-PW today with AMT S300.   Three week backorder of shafts, wtf this is crap!  Especially, without a set of irons to use.

Ping G400 LST 9.4 Tensei Pro White 60 Stiff
'17 TaylorMade M2 Tour 3HL Wood Tensei Pro White
TaylorMade P790 3 Iron DGS300
Titleist 718CB 4-9 DG S300
Vokey SM7 46F, 54S ,60D
Scotty Cameron Limited Edition Del Mar Buttonback Putter
TaylorMade TP5X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#2091 CTJ

CTJ

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482394
  • Joined: 09/21/2017
  • Location:Utah
  • Handicap:4.3
  • Ebay ID:jctj9501_enkgflnick
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I just got rid of my 50 degree Callaway wedge because I have found the gap wedge with the set to be more forgiving and a touch longer, which I need for gapping, given the length of the pw.  I now carry the P790 pw and gw, then go to a 54 and 60 degree wedge set.  The caveat is that I never use a 50 degree wedge around the greens or for partial shots.  The 54 and 60 give me plenty of options.
WITB

Callaway Rogue, Graphite Design Ad TP 6 S
Callaway Great Big Bertha Alpha 3 wood, Matrix Osik Red Tie S
Titleist 818 H1, 19 and 22 degree Hybrids, Even Flow Blue 6.0
Pin i500, 5 through GW, Recoil 95 F4
Callaway MD4 54 degree, S grind
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58 degree
Odyssey Red Ball

21

#2092 CTJ

CTJ

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482394
  • Joined: 09/21/2017
  • Location:Utah
  • Handicap:4.3
  • Ebay ID:jctj9501_enkgflnick
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

The value of these irons for my game is tremendous.  If I had 90 mph ss with a 7 iron, I would stick with a player’s profile for my wedges, but I don’t.  I am 57 years old and the extra distance I get from these irons makes a big difference to me.

The last two rounds with these irons in my bag, now shafted the way that I want, I hit 12 and 13 greens.  I can maneuver them right or left if need be, but mostly I can just set up, make a good pass at the ball and know that I will get a nice, high, but stable ball flight, with about 10 more yards than what I am used to seeing.  The balls don’t stop right next to the ball mark but a three yard roll out is more than manageable.  I have never once seen the hot ball that flies 10 yards further than expected.  These irons are as consistent as anything I have ever gamed.

I have no doubt that I can get close to scratch with these irons and I could not expect to do better with any other profile of iron.  If a reasonable ball striker is looking for an extra ten yards through the set, these have to be a must look.
WITB

Callaway Rogue, Graphite Design Ad TP 6 S
Callaway Great Big Bertha Alpha 3 wood, Matrix Osik Red Tie S
Titleist 818 H1, 19 and 22 degree Hybrids, Even Flow Blue 6.0
Pin i500, 5 through GW, Recoil 95 F4
Callaway MD4 54 degree, S grind
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58 degree
Odyssey Red Ball

22

#2093 Gamble Gamble

Gamble Gamble

    #TwistFaceExperience

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198076
  • Joined: 08/14/2012
  • Location:Philly Philly!
GolfWRX Likes : 2420

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

View PostCTJ, on 13 March 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I just got rid of my 50 degree Callaway wedge because I have found the gap wedge with the set to be more forgiving and a touch longer, which I need for gapping, given the length of the pw.  I now carry the P790 pw and gw, then go to a 54 and 60 degree wedge set.  The caveat is that I never use a 50 degree wedge around the greens or for partial shots.  The 54 and 60 give me plenty of options.

This is my setup too.  You can use the 790 AW for running chips but I tend to lean on my 60* when im around the green.

View PostCTJ, on 13 March 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

The value of these irons for my game is tremendous.  If I had 90 mph ss with a 7 iron, I would stick with a player’s profile for my wedges, but I don’t.  I am 57 years old and the extra distance I get from these irons makes a big difference to me.

The last two rounds with these irons in my bag, now shafted the way that I want, I hit 12 and 13 greens.  I can maneuver them right or left if need be, but mostly I can just set up, make a good pass at the ball and know that I will get a nice, high, but stable ball flight, with about 10 more yards than what I am used to seeing.  The balls don’t stop right next to the ball mark but a three yard roll out is more than manageable.  I have never once seen the hot ball that flies 10 yards further than expected.  These irons are as consistent as anything I have ever gamed.

I have no doubt that I can get close to scratch with these irons and I could not expect to do better with any other profile of iron.  If a reasonable ball striker is looking for an extra ten yards through the set, these have to be a must look.

No joke I just said to my course pro that i feel like im going to drop at least 2 strokes on my handicap before our GAP matches in April just from these irons.  My misses went from being 7 yards left to like 3-4 yds left and the short shots went from being 15 yards in front of the green to just off the fringe.

Edited by Gamble Gamble, 13 March 2018 - 08:18 PM.

Taylormade M3 10* Tour AD-DI 7X
Taylormade M3 15* Tour AD-IZ 7X
Taylormade M4 19* Tour AD-DI 8X
Taylormade P790 4i Tour AD-DI 9X
Taylormade P790 5i-AW Modus 120
Titleist SM7 54S 60D DG S400 TI
Ping Cadence Ketsch Heavy Putter
Taylormade TP5/TP5X Number 26




M3 Taylormade Experience

23

#2094 odshot68

odshot68

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
  • Joined: 06/04/2007
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

View PostCTJ, on 13 March 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I just got rid of my 50 degree Callaway wedge because I have found the gap wedge with the set to be more forgiving and a touch longer, which I need for gapping, given the length of the pw.  I now carry the P790 pw and gw, then go to a 54 and 60 degree wedge set.  The caveat is that I never use a 50 degree wedge around the greens or for partial shots.  The 54 and 60 give me plenty of options.

How far do you hit the PW and AW?  Also, how far did you carry you Callaway 50, thanks!
Ping G400 LST 9.4 Tensei Pro White 60 Stiff
'17 TaylorMade M2 Tour 3HL Wood Tensei Pro White
TaylorMade P790 3 Iron DGS300
Titleist 718CB 4-9 DG S300
Vokey SM7 46F, 54S ,60D
Scotty Cameron Limited Edition Del Mar Buttonback Putter
TaylorMade TP5X

24

#2095 SM1098

SM1098

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479056
  • Joined: 08/15/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

View Postnp78, on 13 March 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 11 March 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

Has anyone played these with the AMT shaft and can give thoughts

amt Is a great shaft

I've hit with other heads and liked it but fitter didn't have this with tm tip to put on the 790

View PostSM1098, on 13 March 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I went Vokey over the AW in the set, mainly because of versatility and feel. 790 AW isn't terrible though.
Curious what you didn't like about the matching aw?

Feel and looks, I find that the consistency I get when I hit the Vokey is worth hanging onto rather than trying to adapt to something else. I never hit the AW with the P790, kept the same wedge set-up I was using prior to P790s arriving.


25

#2096 klbcec

klbcec

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105792
  • Joined: 04/03/2010
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

I hate this website...


20180314_084804.png

Edited by klbcec, 14 March 2018 - 09:29 AM.


26

#2097 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom***

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 3612

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

View Postklbcec, on 14 March 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

I hate this website...


Attachment 20180314_084804.png

Great choice man!

27

#2098 CTJ

CTJ

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482394
  • Joined: 09/21/2017
  • Location:Utah
  • Handicap:4.3
  • Ebay ID:jctj9501_enkgflnick
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:20 AM

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostCTJ, on 13 March 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I just got rid of my 50 degree Callaway wedge because I have found the gap wedge with the set to be more forgiving and a touch longer, which I need for gapping, given the length of the pw.  I now carry the P790 pw and gw, then go to a 54 and 60 degree wedge set.  The caveat is that I never use a 50 degree wedge around the greens or for partial shots.  The 54 and 60 give me plenty of options.

How far do you hit the PW and AW?  Also, how far did you carry you Callaway 50, thanks!

I hit the PW about 127 to 130, the AW 115 to 118.  I could carry the Callaway about 112 to 115, so there wasn’t a huge difference, maybe 3 yards or so.  I went with the P790 GW over the Callaway simply because it is more forgiving and I use it almost exclusively for full swings.  When I try to juice a standard wedge, I sometimes pull it, whereas the P790 is just a nice full swing.
WITB

Callaway Rogue, Graphite Design Ad TP 6 S
Callaway Great Big Bertha Alpha 3 wood, Matrix Osik Red Tie S
Titleist 818 H1, 19 and 22 degree Hybrids, Even Flow Blue 6.0
Pin i500, 5 through GW, Recoil 95 F4
Callaway MD4 54 degree, S grind
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58 degree
Odyssey Red Ball

28

#2099 odshot68

odshot68

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
  • Joined: 06/04/2007
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

View PostCTJ, on 14 March 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostCTJ, on 13 March 2018 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Postodshot68, on 13 March 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

With the consistency I have read about these irons curious on playing the gap wedge over a 50 degree vokey. Any thought on this?

I just got rid of my 50 degree Callaway wedge because I have found the gap wedge with the set to be more forgiving and a touch longer, which I need for gapping, given the length of the pw.  I now carry the P790 pw and gw, then go to a 54 and 60 degree wedge set.  The caveat is that I never use a 50 degree wedge around the greens or for partial shots.  The 54 and 60 give me plenty of options.

How far do you hit the PW and AW?  Also, how far did you carry you Callaway 50, thanks!

I hit the PW about 127 to 130, the AW 115 to 118.  I could carry the Callaway about 112 to 115, so there wasn’t a huge difference, maybe 3 yards or so.  I went with the P790 GW over the Callaway simply because it is more forgiving and I use it almost exclusively for full swings.  When I try to juice a standard wedge, I sometimes pull it, whereas the P790 is just a nice full swing.

Thanks, great to know the PW and AW aren't juiced.  I will stick with the SM7 50 then.  I was concerned about a 150 yard PW but it sounds like its more normalized.
Ping G400 LST 9.4 Tensei Pro White 60 Stiff
'17 TaylorMade M2 Tour 3HL Wood Tensei Pro White
TaylorMade P790 3 Iron DGS300
Titleist 718CB 4-9 DG S300
Vokey SM7 46F, 54S ,60D
Scotty Cameron Limited Edition Del Mar Buttonback Putter
TaylorMade TP5X

29

#2100 Stevil

Stevil

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496198
  • Joined: 03/14/2018
  • Location:Denver
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:41 AM

I was in the same boat and lucky enough to have some good pros at my club that understand the data and my swing. The shaft makes a HUGE difference with this iron - more than Iíve experienced with any other. Old set was RSI2s with AeroTech 95i shafts. My 790s are 5-P with Recoil 100 F4s in my 567 and Recoil Prototyoe 110s in my 89P. Special order but highly recommend the Recoil line of shafts. I went the Proto line to lower the flight. Windy conditions here in Denver not so great for high ball flight. YMMV but these shafts with the 790 are bliss for me. Forgiving, consistent distance and very tight dispersion.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors