Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fade: Aim at the target and start it left, or aim left of the target and turn it right?

32 replies to this topic

#1 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 328

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Was wondering how people typically play a power fade. Do you aim at the target and start it on a line left of the target expecting it to turn back to the target? Or do you aim left of the target expecting it to turn right to the target?

I have been trying to do the former, but I feel like I have to hood the clubface which feels awkward.

Thanks!

M1 8.5 Fuji 757 Evo X
SLDR 15 Axivcore Tour Green X
Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
S55 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM4 52 X100 TI
Vokey TVD 56/60 S400
White Hot RX #7 / Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 powerpushfade

powerpushfade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439702
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Personally I aim the club at the target, stand a little open, try to start it left, then let it fade back.  This keeps my arms in front of me better and my miss will usually be a straight pull along my body line,  but not out of play.

If I aim the club left then I tend to want to push it to the target.  This is when my miss starts going both ways because I will tend to drop it inside and hit hooks.  You have to do what works for you.

#3 David C

David C

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

geesecougar2, on 27 July 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Was wondering how people typically play a power fade. Do you aim at the target and start it on a line left of the target expecting it to turn back to the target? Or do you aim left of the target expecting it to turn right to the target?

I have been trying to do the former, but I feel like I have to hood the clubface which feels awkward.

Thanks!

This is my normal shape but I used to draw it normally. I found as long as I was not cutting the hell out of it on a given day it was about finding my own spots to hit a strong shot that moves slightly. With driver I aimed square to where I wanted it to start. With an iron I set up square and moved the ball fractionally forward for a pull fade.

I know some people that have to aim left to accommodate it moving right.

To hit a strong, wide moving cut I aim where I want it to start, play they ball back and aim the face somewhere that 'feels' between there and the target.

I think it's best to stick to one shot shape and know how it feels to really move it if you have to.

#4 cav5

cav5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25031
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Don't know if this makes sense scientifically but I always attempt to work the ball down range. No ball position, alignment stuff. So i guess that would be orientate left and cut it.
EPIC YS7+ R
AERO HL Rogue
910H UST
1957 BB Modus3 130R
51Y 55C 59C Steelfiber CW 125S
KM350
B330S

#5 Cicero

Cicero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41303
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

I aim the face and my shoulders at the target with my feet a little open, and start it left.  If I want to hit it hard, I aim a little right, as my ball tends to start more left when swing harder.

Edited by Cicero, 27 July 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#6 AJ Joseph

AJ Joseph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457650
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thanks!

#7 AJ Joseph

AJ Joseph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457650
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Aiming at the target and starting it left is also called "over the top" swing
If you have an inside to out swing the ideal fade would be. Aim feet and shoulders left. Same ball position as always on your shirts logo.    Here is tricky part. Open clubface to aim clubface at target. Swing normally.

#8 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

I aim left of target and cut the ball back towards the flag....that way if it goes straight i'm still on the green and if i draw it a touch, i'm normally still on or just slightly off with plenty of green to work with.
Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#9 powerpushfade

powerpushfade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

AJ Joseph, on 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

If you have an inside to out swing the ideal fade would be. Aim feet and shoulders left. Same ball position as always on your shirts logo.    Here is tricky part. Open clubface to aim clubface at target. Swing normally.
No it's not.  If you set your body left, take the club away on your body lines, then shallow the club, you are not over the top.

#10 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

powerpushfade, on 27 July 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

AJ Joseph, on 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

If you have an inside to out swing the ideal fade would be. Aim feet and shoulders left. Same ball position as always on your shirts logo. Here is tricky part. Open clubface to aim clubface at target. Swing normally.
No it's not.  If you set your body left, take the club away on your body lines, then shallow the club, you are not over the top.

That's also how you hit a high push cut....the simplest way is to play the ball a little further forward and stand a fraction closer to the ball and swing normal for a fade....should start along stance line/face angle and cut back towards the right...the further forward and closer you stand, the more the ball cuts.  The opposite works for a draw.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 powerpushfade

powerpushfade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

View Postferrispgm, on 27 July 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

View Postpowerpushfade, on 27 July 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostAJ Joseph, on 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

That's also how you hit a high push cut....the simplest way is to play the ball a little further forward and stand a fraction closer to the ball and swing normal for a fade....should start along stance line/face angle and cut back towards the right...the further forward and closer you stand, the more the ball cuts.  The opposite works for a draw.
My only point was it's not over the top.

#12 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 2842

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

I put the ball well forward, aim way right, and if I'm on my game, it only hooks about 10yds..

#13 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 6602

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Nicklaus says to aim the club face at the target, then turn your body (shoulders, hips, feet) and align to the left of target.  When execute the swing along your body position.  In effect, you use your normal straight shot swing, but impact occurs with the club face open to your swing direction which makes the ball curve gently to the right (for a RH player).

Edited by Nessism, 27 July 2017 - 03:04 PM.

Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#14 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1950

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Driver to putter, I aim down the line I want the ball to start...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#15 talfredson

talfredson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467804
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:t_alfredson
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

I have been hitting a push-fade for about the past 3 weeks. I Aim shoulders, hips, and feet down left side. Aim club face between the target and my feet. My swing thought is to swing right down the line my club is facing. My misses are 99.9% right. I have been hitting more fairways and my average driver distance is about the same when I was hitting a draw a month ago. Still tinkering with my irons as I'm pushing them a little more but I know I have an open club face with my irons. Working on keeping clubface square to ball on backswing as much as possible.

#16 bph7

bph7

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135739
GolfWRX Likes : 2649

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

It doesn't matter. The impact alignments for both shots are identical (ball doesn't know where you are "aiming"). Just do whatever is more comfortable.

#17 powerfade66

powerfade66

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62375
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Pre-trackman every top player said aim face where you want to end up and body where you want to start. While if you actually do this technology has proven it to be wrong. Perhaps it worked because of their athletic ability and instincts telling them to release harder on their fade swing or else it will be lost right. I don't feel my fades with driver are much more consistent since the new laws of face needing to be left of target but right of path. I think a lot of that is uncertainty and not committing to the shot as much as I would if I had a hole that called for a slight draw. Generally I only try to fade on a tight dogleg right. In practice I'll get it most of the time but under pressure I feel like I ease up on it somewhat, the shaft kicks a little earlier and it comes out straighter than I'd like. Perhaps the old idea, though not technically correct, is better (for me at least) because I'll commit to it more and not feel like I also need to hold off the face a little.

There is also the idea that for a straight shot the face needs to be a little open anyway to allow for compression and the ball separating from the club forward of where it is set at address. That also means when you set the face at the target for a fade you are actually setting it up a little left.

#18 bph7

bph7

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135739
GolfWRX Likes : 2649

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

View Postpowerfade66, on 12 September 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

Pre-trackman every top player said aim face where you want to end up and body where you want to start. While if you actually do this technology has proven it to be wrong. Perhaps it worked because of their athletic ability and instincts telling them to release harder on their fade swing or else it will be lost right. I don't feel my fades with driver are much more consistent since the new laws of face needing to be left of target but right of path. I think a lot of that is uncertainty and not committing to the shot as much as I would if I had a hole that called for a slight draw. Generally I only try to fade on a tight dogleg right. In practice I'll get it most of the time but under pressure I feel like I ease up on it somewhat, the shaft kicks a little earlier and it comes out straighter than I'd like. Perhaps the old idea, though not technically correct, is better (for me at least) because I'll commit to it more and not feel like I also need to hold off the face a little.

There is also the idea that for a straight shot the face needs to be a little open anyway to allow for compression and the ball separating from the club forward of where it is set at address. That also means when you set the face at the target for a fade you are actually setting it up a little left.

It's really just a matter of feel vs real. We know for a fact that if you hit a shot with face pointing right at target, but path say 5* right, the ball is going to start essentially directly at the target (very slightly right to be technically correct) and then hook away. However, that does not mean that adjusting setup alignments to achieve this will necessarily result in these impact alignments. Those who point face at target and aim their body to right and successfully hit a push draw just have different impact alignments from where they set up (i.e. face is actually open to target and path is right of face). So those who say "aim face at target and body to where you want it to start" aren't wrong necessarily in terms of a feel that could work, but they are wrong to the extent that they think returning to impact at those setup alignments will result in the shot they want.

#19 chrisgilly09

chrisgilly09

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114762
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Ahhhh, we havent had a good cp v cf conversation in a while! Haha I think it depends on the club for me, as its easier to hit pull fades with irons but tend to get too underneath with woods/hybrid to do that

#20 powerfade66

powerfade66

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

View Postbph7, on 12 September 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

View Postpowerfade66, on 12 September 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

It's really just a matter of feel vs real. We know for a fact that if you hit a shot with face pointing right at target, but path say 5* right, the ball is going to start essentially directly at the target (very slightly right to be technically correct) and then hook away. However, that does not mean that adjusting setup alignments to achieve this will necessarily result in these impact alignments. Those who point face at target and aim their body to right and successfully hit a push draw just have different impact alignments from where they set up (i.e. face is actually open to target and path is right of face). So those who say "aim face at target and body to where you want it to start" aren't wrong necessarily in terms of a feel that could work, but they are wrong to the extent that they think returning to impact at those setup alignments will result in the shot they want.

I agree. That's the point I was making with better players making the old laws work. Or is it only for the purposes of making sense in a book/vhs. Even with that feel they wouldn't have any numbers in mind. Ask them to hit a fade and they'll do it. They won't get a protractor out and check. There's a great clinic Anthony Kim did with Tiger where they discuss this. Kim blew Tiger away with his shotmaking and how unscientific he was.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 RighttoLeft

RighttoLeft

GolfWRX Contrarian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

Everyone is different, but if I want a smaller amount of curvature, I line up (club face and body lines) at the target and move my swingpath further inside-out or outside-in.
If I need a bunch of curvature (going around a tree or other obstacle directly in front of me) I line the face up to the desired starting line (with a little extra margin for error) and stance/body lines open or closed and from there swing along my stance/body line.

Trial and error has shown that this is the best way do manage intentional right to left and left to right curves.
Callaway GBB 10.5° (turned down to 9.5°) with Diamana D+ 70 stiff
Callaway GBB 3 and 5 woods with Diamana S+ 70 stiff
Callaway XR Pro 4-GW with KBS Tour V stiff
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind (Tour Chrome) 56° and 60°
Odyssey TriForce 3
Titleist Pro V1X

#22 getitdaily

getitdaily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Always aim at the target and move it right from there. Key question is - what are you using for the target?

Is your target where you want the ball to end up or where you want it to start?

#23 powerfade66

powerfade66

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:03 AM

Does anyone try slightly higher hands at impact for small fades and lower for small draws? Aiming left or right to allow for it of course but face pretty much square to stance line.

#24 bluerrpilot

bluerrpilot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375408
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I like to aim the club face at the target and my feet and shoulders on the intended start line.

#25 jewofgolf

jewofgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20264
  • Ebay ID:tourgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 675

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

So the technically correct answer is aim the body left of target, aim the face somewhere in between, and swing on the body plane. The ball starts where the face is pointed and curves away from the swing path direction.

#26 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 988

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

I don't hit a power fade often, but when I do its when I was trying to hook the ball.

#27 powerfade66

powerfade66

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

jewofgolf, on 14 September 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

So the technically correct answer is aim the body left of target, aim the face somewhere in between, and swing on the body plane. The ball starts where the face is pointed and curves away from the swing path direction.

Technically yes but there is a lot of "all things being equal" involved. I think it's about 87% towards face but if trying to peel a fade into a tight fairway where you know a straight shot will be dead it may not be enough. It's more pressure than setting up square down a straight hole and expecting it to go straight because there's generally less room for error if it doesn't fade. But, if it does you may have created twice as much fairway.

This is where the various tricks come in to make sure it does move somewhat - address it slightly out of the heel, stand a little closer with ball more forward, grip down, grip firmer in left hand and keep that through the ball, grip firmer with right heel pad on left thumb, tee it down, cup the left wrist going back, rotate left forearm to open the face going back, use left forearm to hold it open coming down, accelerate harder and for longer coming down to feel heel leading toe, higher hands such that loft points slightly right, weaker grip, high left arm into the follow through, keep face cutting the plane into follow through rather than rotating to the plane, extra stiff shafts, fatter grips, flat lie angles, face set open, weights in the toe, release wrists down and not over.... Any more?

Whatever you need to take the left side out of play. I'll only use 10 to 15 on each particular shot mind you. ;-)

#28 premazipp

premazipp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173416
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Club face to target, setup and club path left of target.
Wishon 919 THI Driver<br />Ping Anser 23* Hybrid<br />Wishon 550M 5-PW Irons<br />Scratch 8620 58* Wedge<br />Never Compromise Milled #4 Putter

#29 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10641

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

I tend to try and pull a cut slightly and push a draw.

#30 randyj

randyj

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435034
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

Thanks!

I play a very reliable proper power fade with an in to out path. Might even consider it a touch of a push fade.

I line my body lines well left of the target, keep the face obviously open to my body lines, but the face is still a ways left of target. You want the ball to FINISH at the target, not start at it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors