Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 5 votes

The "Spieth isn't as talented" argument

780 replies to this topic

#61 Psyber

Psyber

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378876
GolfWRX Likes : 301

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostBarfolomew, on 24 July 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Jordan could very easily hit longer if he chose to..... his technique values accuracy more is all just like Stricker ......and like moi :taunt:

Lol really? Did you see his 100 yard slice into the driving range? I wouldn't exactly call that a high value on accuracy.

Driver - Cobra F7+ w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
3 Wood - Nike Covert 2.0
Hybrid - Cobra F7 20.5° w/ Aldila ATX Tour Blue 85
Irons - W-4 Titleist 714 AP2 w/ SteelFiber i95
Wedges - Vokey SM5 54° and 58° S Grinds
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 5R

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 tiderider

tiderider

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 305

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostSwooshLT, on 24 July 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

View Postnicoy3k, on 24 July 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

I keep hearing/reading this angle that Jordan is somehow less talented than guys like Rory or DJ, but gets through with golf IQ and "heart".

Jordan is more talented than both of those guys.

He is a better iron player, a better wedge player, has a better short game, and is 10x a better putter.

Yea, he doesn't drive it quite as long (he's sneaky long) or as straight (both Rory and DJ are streaky with their accuracy)... but that's just one aspect of the game..

Jordan Spieth is the most talented player in the world right now.

YJS shows more "skill" than those guys..... don't confuse talent with skill....

Way before your time but Larry Bird was Uber skilled basketball ball HOF'er.....add in determination, high BB IQ and a clutch Gene.....there were and are more talented players who could jump higher run faster and physically stronger but that doesn't equate always to better.

YJS kinda falls in this category primarily due to his perceived "lack of distance" .....he has shown to be more than long enough particularly with his irons....which to me is the most IMPORTANT part of golf.....not just hitting greens but have the correct yardage more often than not.

this makes no sense ... golf is a game of skill, not athleticism ... soft hands and the ability to feel the shot through impact is as much talent as skill ..

#63 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

View Posttiderider, on 24 July 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostSwooshLT, on 24 July 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

View Postnicoy3k, on 24 July 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

I keep hearing/reading this angle that Jordan is somehow less talented than guys like Rory or DJ, but gets through with golf IQ and "heart".

Jordan is more talented than both of those guys.

He is a better iron player, a better wedge player, has a better short game, and is 10x a better putter.

Yea, he doesn't drive it quite as long (he's sneaky long) or as straight (both Rory and DJ are streaky with their accuracy)... but that's just one aspect of the game..

Jordan Spieth is the most talented player in the world right now.

YJS shows more "skill" than those guys..... don't confuse talent with skill....

Way before your time but Larry Bird was Uber skilled basketball ball HOF'er.....add in determination, high BB IQ and a clutch Gene.....there were and are more talented players who could jump higher run faster and physically stronger but that doesn't equate always to better.

YJS kinda falls in this category primarily due to his perceived "lack of distance" .....he has shown to be more than long enough particularly with his irons....which to me is the most IMPORTANT part of golf.....not just hitting greens but have the correct yardage more often than not.

this makes no sense ... golf is a game of skill, not athleticism ... soft hands and the ability to feel the shot through impact is as much talent as skill ..

My take is some work hard and develop the skill....some are just Talented and don't need to work as hard......never seen these guys? Half dozen or 6 .....

#64 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 12774

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

A guy can throw 100mph, but if it's flat fastball over the middle, he's gonna get shelled.

Need to address what "talent" really means since, just like striking guys out, tournament golf requires a great deal more than a strong arm.

#65 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 4687

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

View Postbaudi, on 24 July 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

Maybe you missed it but this is the approach at Hole 11 yesterday.

He didn't get away with the tee shot on 13, he had to take an unplayable and he had to play from the practice area.  I don't know how that is getting away with anything.  

Yes, good players manage their misses well on most occasions.  Ben Hogan-"golf is a game of misses"  "when I am playing my best I hit 5 shots they way I want to a round"

Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway GBB 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

#66 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,686 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:28 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 24 July 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

A guy can throw 100mph, but if it's flat fastball over the middle, he's gonna get shelled.

Need to address what "talent" really means since, just like striking guys out, tournament golf requires a great deal more than a strong arm.

It's like when baseball guys discuss "stuff"  They can't really define it, but they know what "stuff" is.  Probably a fastball with movement in most cases, but it's a very vague term.  They know it when they see it though, Kershaw has great "stuff"
Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway GBB 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

#67 King_Slender

King_Slender

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76330
GolfWRX Likes : 747

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

View Postsshoe9, on 24 July 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

I guess I'm basing it more on potential. Rahm seems better suited for the big boy courses. I think the jury is still out on whether Spieth can find success in those ballparks, yet.

You think Rahm recovers after that drive Spieth hit?  Rahm has the game to blow fields away and play bomber's courses, but he doesn't (yet) have the mental makeup to turn things around when things aren't going his way.  Also remember that Spieth is only 8 months older than Rahm.

#68 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 768

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

these "he's good but, not that good" conversation always kill me. Dude just basically ran through the open but he's not "that good". ok
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; VICE PRO PLUS/CALLY CHROME SOFT X/SRIXON Z STAR

#69 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,686 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 24 July 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

these "he's good but, not that good" conversation always kill me. Dude just basically ran through the open but he's not "that good". ok

Well you know, he's the only one that missed a fairway all week.  He is so lucky.
Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway GBB 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

#70 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 12774

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 24 July 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

It's like when baseball guys discuss "stuff"  They can't really define it, but they know what "stuff" is.  Probably a fastball with movement in most cases, but it's a very vague term.  They know it when they see it though, Kershaw has great "stuff"

"[Mendoza] was upset at me because the ball was moving and he thought I was making the ball move," Rivera says. "From that moment, I told Mel [Stottlemyre, then-Yankees pitching coach], I have no control over this. The ball is moving, and I have no control."

Rivera and Stottlemyre worked on it at old Tiger Stadium when the Yankees landed in Detroit in late June.

"Didn't matter how I grabbed the ball," Rivera recalls. "It was still moving. I told Mel that I won't be throwing no more balls in the bullpen because I need to be ready for the game. We worked a lot and this thing is still the same and let's leave it like that."

Rivera saved all three games in Detroit that series, career Nos. 23-25, and one of the singularly most lethal weapons in baseball history had launched.

"The Lord gave it to me," Rivera says. "Oh, the Lord. Def-i-nite-ly. I didn't change anything. No grip, no motion, anything. Nothing.

"The rest is history."

http://www.cbssports...od-part-4-of-5/

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Shilgy

Shilgy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

He made par.
TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

#72 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Hall of Fame

• 5,083 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 24 July 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

View Postdlygrisse, on 24 July 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

"[Mendoza] was upset at me because the ball was moving and he thought I was making the ball move," Rivera says. "From that moment, I told Mel [Stottlemyre, then-Yankees pitching coach], I have no control over this. The ball is moving, and I have no control."

Rivera and Stottlemyre worked on it at old Tiger Stadium when the Yankees landed in Detroit in late June.

"Didn't matter how I grabbed the ball," Rivera recalls. "It was still moving. I told Mel that I won't be throwing no more balls in the bullpen because I need to be ready for the game. We worked a lot and this thing is still the same and let's leave it like that."

Rivera saved all three games in Detroit that series, career Nos. 23-25, and one of the singularly most lethal weapons in baseball history had launched.

"The Lord gave it to me," Rivera says. "Oh, the Lord. Def-i-nite-ly. I didn't change anything. No grip, no motion, anything. Nothing.

"The rest is history."

http://www.cbssports...od-part-4-of-5/

#Talent

#73 baudi

baudi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 24 July 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

He didn't get away with the tee shot on 13, he had to take an unplayable and he had to play from the practice area.  I don't know how that is getting away with anything.  

Yes, good players manage their misses well on most occasions.  Ben Hogan-"golf is a game of misses"  "when I am playing my best I hit 5 shots they way I want to a round"

On 11 he hooks it severely; on 13 he blocks it at least 60yds right (i do not think it was 100yds)
Two results in misses must be awkward to play with. .

There is some luck involved that he could take a drop on a solid piece of ground. Yet JS also showed/proved his strategic talent.
On 13 he used all the momentum to get back into a mental position. Still he hit that 3 iron not pure at all.
If he would have it might have struck the bunker. A fantastic chip, great putt and saving that hole with bogey gave him a new start.

On Whistling Straights he also hit a shot way right. H17 if I recall it well yet he got away with it.

This win I did not expect beforehand.
But I thought he would be a main contender on Erin Hills.

Edited by baudi, 24 July 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#74 CasualLie

CasualLie

Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99500
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Fact is/was, even Tiger had a flawed swing winning majors.  There are "model swings" and then there is hitting your target any way you can and making the putts - that's it.

It's the trust in yourself and your shot making the making those key putts that separates great players from the best who won multiple majors.

Spieth is a winner, he wills himself to get it done.  Will he win 14 majors?  Probably not because it's pretty darn difficult to win one major.

Rory on the other hand....Better driver and ball striker than Spieth will ever be but much worse putter and that's a problem.  But golf had a lot of parity and shifting tides so not out of question Rory can go on another tear.

#75 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Hall of Fame

• 5,083 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostCasualLie, on 24 July 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Fact is/was, even Tiger had a flawed swing winning majors.  There are "model swings" and then there is hitting your target any way you can and making the putts - that's it.

It's the trust in yourself and your shot making the making those key putts that separates great players from the best who won multiple majors.

Spieth is a winner, he wills himself to get it done.  Will he win 14 majors?  Probably not because it's pretty darn difficult to win one major.

Rory on the other hand....Better driver and ball striker than Spieth will ever be but much worse putter and that's a problem.  But golf had a lot of parity and shifting tides so not out of question Rory can go on another tear.

Better striker yet YJS iron stats prove otherwise.....maybe alignment?

#76 stu_man

stu_man

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107853
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

View PostCasualLie, on 24 July 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

I don't agree with this. I'll never understand the reasoning behind it.  Rory misses a lot, and misses where you can't miss it.  Jordan rarely misses where he can't give himself a chance to get up and in.  That's the measure of a great ball striker to me.

#77 nicoy3k

nicoy3k

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190910
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

Driving distance isn't the only measure of talent, golf is a game or skill. It's like saying that playing the piano well doesn't take talent.

#78 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Advanced

• 483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

We're beginning to see a rare pattern of clutch performance from Jordan Spieth the likes of which we've only seen from guys like Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Larry Bird, et al..  He seems to respond poorly at the normal signs of high pressure and when he tightens up a little he starts making mistakes like his signature misses to the right and missed short putts.  But when that finally culminates in disaster, which it has on several occasions, he gets a shot of something in his brain that turns him into Superman, the same combination of things that turns most people into Jean Van de Veld.  We forget that except for a few rolls that didn't go his way, he almost or conceivably could have made the same sort of comeback after his meltdown on 12 at Augusta.  Whatever it is, if they could bottle the chemicals and the combination of things that causes him to go to that level, it would be priceless.  It seems that once he senses that disaster, he turns it on like nobody in history, maybe with the exception of Tiger where you just have the feeling that he's going to win no matter what the obstacle.  The guy has had so much experience in high level competition since he was a young teen that he's gotten used to it and turns it to his advantage along with the best athletes in history.  You almost expect him to hit every shot a foot away and make every putt, no matter what the length.  I know that sounds like hyperbole but that's what's happening here folks.  The guy's got the nerves of John Dillinger.  When that debacle was happening on 13 yesterday, the most composed person on earth at that moment, including the officials, the gallery, the announcers, and the millions of viewers on TV was.....Jordan Spieth.  His solution to the problem and the resulting bogey was probably the best ever made, especially under the circumstances.

Edited by Jordan Speeth, 24 July 2017 - 03:05 PM.

Taylormade M2 Driver 9.5*- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 Metal- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22*-4 Hybrid- Altus S
Ping G 26*-5 Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone J15MB 5-PW Nippon Modus3 S +1"
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled Wedges-KBS Tour Custom S
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
Odyssey Versa 7 Counterbalanced 38"- Odyssey SuperStroke CB Tank Grip
Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips (+3 wraps build up tape)
Snell MTB/ Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

#79 Christosterone

Christosterone

Reverse C

• 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180350
  • Handicap:+54
GolfWRX Likes : 1482

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

It's all about hunger...

In the mid 1970s my wife's father joined royal oaks in dallas...

Members played the course with Trevino routinely criss crossing holes generally playing from bunkers to other bunkers on different holes....

He was almost always alone and exquisitely nice...

Trevino would practice 6 days a week as royal oaks closed on monday...

It is said he went to Tennyson on Sunday for practice...

This is not an urban legend but sometching my father in law saw for a decade...

Lee only slowed in the late 1980s when his body was no longer able to sustain 10 hours a day..

-Chris
Nike Flex Fly 440 set 8.5* open LOW cgi Tour AD DJ-7X
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* upright
2008 LETI Button Back Scotty Cameron Newport 33" 2X20g

#80 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1487

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

View Postnicoy3k, on 24 July 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

Driving distance isn't the only measure of talent, golf is a game or skill. It's like saying that playing the piano well doesn't take talent.

Can someone who does not have the "natural" talent for playing the piano from the womb learn the skill of playing to the level of concert pianist?

Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371925
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Spieth is as talented if not more so than the best in golf today. That being said, winning majors will never be easy for him because of one of the big guys gets streaky they make the game easier. DJ, Rory and Day can hit wedges into greens that Jordan has to hit irons. That is a ton of pressure on a great Putter.

That being said he has all the game he needs.

#82 Bomber_11

Bomber_11

Enjoy the Chase.

• 2,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412188
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2776

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

View PostJordan Speeth, on 24 July 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

We're beginning to see a rare pattern of clutch performance from Jordan Spieth the likes of which we've only seen from guys like Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Larry Bird, etc.. He seems to respond poorly at the normal signs of high pressure and when he tightens up a little he starts making mistakes like his signature misses to the right.  But when that finally culminates in disaster, which is has on several occasions, he gets a shot of something in his brain that turns him into Superman.  We forget that except for a few rolls that didn't go his way, he almost or conceivably could have made the same sort of comeback after his meltdown on 12 at Augusta.  Whatever it is, if they could bottle the chemicals and the combination of things that causes him to go to that level, it would be priceless.  Once he senses that disaster, he turns it on like nobody in history, maybe with the exception of Tiger where you just have the feeling that he's going to win no matter what the obstacle.  The guy has had so much experience in high level competition since he was a young teen that he's gotten used to it and turns it to his advantage along with the best athletes in history.  You almost expect him to hit every shot a foot away and make every putt, no matter what the length.  I know that sounds like hyperbole but that's what's happening here folks.  The guy's got the nerves of John Dillinger.

It was one tournament..

Come up for air
Taylormade Tour Issue M2 9.5* w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange V2 60TX
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 14* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 70X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW w/ Nippon Super Peening Blue S
Titleist SM6 52* F Grind w/ DG Wedge Flex
Titleist SM4 56/60 Oil Can w/ DG Wedge Flex
Nike Method Oven Proto 006
Nike Tour Rzn Dot Platinum
Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.

#83 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostBomber_11, on 24 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

We're beginning to see a rare pattern of clutch performance from Jordan Spieth the likes of which we've only seen from guys like Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Larry Bird, etc.. He seems to respond poorly at the normal signs of high pressure and when he tightens up a little he starts making mistakes like his signature misses to the right.  But when that finally culminates in disaster, which is has on several occasions, he gets a shot of something in his brain that turns him into Superman.  We forget that except for a few rolls that didn't go his way, he almost or conceivably could have made the same sort of comeback after his meltdown on 12 at Augusta.  Whatever it is, if they could bottle the chemicals and the combination of things that causes him to go to that level, it would be priceless.  Once he senses that disaster, he turns it on like nobody in history, maybe with the exception of Tiger where you just have the feeling that he's going to win no matter what the obstacle.  The guy has had so much experience in high level competition since he was a young teen that he's gotten used to it and turns it to his advantage along with the best athletes in history.  You almost expect him to hit every shot a foot away and make every putt, no matter what the length.  I know that sounds like hyperbole but that's what's happening here folks.  The guy's got the nerves of John Dillinger.

It was one tournament..

Come up for air

Seriously. You can only talk about Tiger in those tones on this site.
Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#84 baudi

baudi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

View Postmwkbmw, on 24 July 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

Can someone who does not have the "natural" talent for playing the piano from the womb learn the skill of playing to the level of concert pianist?

Yes. Because there are so many facets. Eg. next to technical skills there is musicality.

#85 John L.

John L.

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99616
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

View Postsshoe9, on 24 July 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Well, I guess I'm one of those ones who still thinks Jordan has a lot to prove. All of his majors to this point have come with asterisks. The 2015 Masters was one of the easiest on record with the unusually soft greens. The 2015 US Open was played at a quirky course hosting the event for the first time, where his caddy happened to have been a former employee. And now the 2017 Open at Royal Birkdale, considered by the Wall Street Journal to be "a tough yet fair challenge that is accessible to players who don’t have the bombs-away games of golf’s young guns." Also, if you look at his other wins on Tour, they're coming at lot of 2nd tier venues: John Deere Classic, Valspar, Travelers, Dean and Deluca. He tends to be a no show on the power tracks. His 9 over par experience at Oakmont is difficult to ignore, for example.

I think some of us want to see a little more before we're comfortable anointing him. He needs to demonstrate he can contend on the classic, big boy tracks. Until then, I feel like he's still looking up at guys like Rory, DJ, and even Jon Rahm.

11 wins with 3 majors.

He is already HOF material.

#86 nicoy3k

nicoy3k

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190910
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:56 PM

View Postmwkbmw, on 24 July 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

Being a concert pianist is like being a mini tour pro, so my answer to that is yes.

Winning three majors at age 23 is prodigy level stuff, you need a rare natural talent.

#87 Bomber_11

Bomber_11

Enjoy the Chase.

• 2,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412188
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2776

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

View Postmwkbmw, on 24 July 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

It was one tournament..

Come up for air

Exactly. I come here for my daily worship of TW.

I have a notification that goes off every time Tiger is mentioned on the forums, so it's a little disappointing when I have to find out it's on a Spieth thread...
Taylormade Tour Issue M2 9.5* w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange V2 60TX
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 14* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 70X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW w/ Nippon Super Peening Blue S
Titleist SM6 52* F Grind w/ DG Wedge Flex
Titleist SM4 56/60 Oil Can w/ DG Wedge Flex
Nike Method Oven Proto 006
Nike Tour Rzn Dot Platinum
Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.

#88 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 2293

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

Serious question.  Can anyone ever remember anyone winning a major while hitting less than 50% of the fairways?  Spieth was 24/56 on the week.  That certainly speaks to his ability to scramble and preternatural gift for holing putts, but when I think of pure "talent" I'd put Rory, DJ, and yes Rahm all above YJS.  Not that YJS isn't talented--you don't achieve what he has without talent--but there are guys out there with higher ceilings and better A games.

#89 powerpushfade

powerpushfade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439702
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostBomber_11, on 24 July 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Spieth has less raw natural talent than DJ or Rory.

He has a much better mental game, he's a much better putter, and his mistakes generally don't seem to hurt him that bad. (sans #12 @ Augusta)

His good is better than pretty much everyone else's good.

I still say Rory, DJ, and a few others' "great" is better than Jordan's great.
The ONLY reason you even say this is because they hit the ball farther...this is the point of this topic.  

Did Dominique Wilkins have more raw natural ability than Larry Bird?  Hell no!  Dominique (great player don't get me wrong) could dunk.  Bird could shoot, rebound, pass and understood the game better.

DJ and McIlroy hit the ball further than Speith, that's it.  DJ isn't even in the second class as Speith and McIlroy.  DJ has the God given ABILITY to hit the ball farther, that's it. It takes great 'talent' to putt, chip, pitch also.  And part of being a great athlete is how to manage your emotions and focus on the task at hand.  DJ doesn't have that.  Speith can win majors with less than average ball striking. Neither DJ or McIlroy can do that.  They both need to be striking the ball very well, and putting well above average to have a good chance at winning.

Edited by powerpushfade, 24 July 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#90 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostBomber_11, on 24 July 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

View Postmwkbmw, on 24 July 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

It was one tournament..

Come up for air

Exactly. I come here for my daily worship of TW.

I have a notification that goes off every time Tiger is mentioned on the forums, so it's a little disappointing when I have to find out it's on a Spieth thread...

Haha. My comment was not directed at you. I agree that Speeth's post was over the top and was concerned that it would set the Tiger fanboys aflame.

Oh, crap. I set off your Tiger notification again. Sorry.  :drinks:

Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors