Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Ball for Competitive Junior Golfer

Junior Golfer Golf Balls

18 replies to this topic

#1 Bertsy20

Bertsy20

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473086
  • Joined: 06/27/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

My 10 year old son competes regularly on various tours, and we've found early success at the highest levels, thus far.  For the past 3 years, he's used Titleist ProV1s.  We've really liked them and they've done the job.  He's a die hard Spieth fan.  So, part of the draw towards ProV1s have to do with that.  He's gotten fitted for clubs.  He's swinging top of the line clubs and now I want to be sure that we are using the appropriate golf ball that will maximize distance off the tee and softness around the greens.  He hits the ball 210-215 with driver.  I've heard in talking with some other knowledgeable golf dads and they've suggested we use a different ball.  This is my first post and I just thought I'd throw it out there to anyone who has an interest in replying.  Thanks in advance.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:05 AM

My son uses the Q Star Tour. He loves the compression on full shots and it gets him a urethane ball for around the greens without breaking the bank.

I watched a kid in his match hit ProV1's left/right all day and lose 2 in the water on 1 par 3. Kids could use a softer compression ball but still need good spin from a urethane ball. Works for us, and our club sells a dozen for about $22. So win/win.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Matrix Black Tie stiff 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 21* CTL R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

2

#3 dan360

dan360

    not a jacked loft

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6039

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

If you're doing all this, it should be relatively easy to buy a sleeve of about 24 different balls and hit them on an outdoor launch monitor of some sort.

I'd look at the B330RX personally, the Srixon Q Star/Tour, or the Wilson Duo/Duo Spin.   Maybe even the Top Flite Gamer/Gamer Tour, but if he's a diehard fan of 23YOJS and they're working, just stick with the ProV1.
As of 01AUG2017

Mizuno JPX-800 9°
TaylorMade R7TPST 15°

Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron
Mizuno MP-33 3-P custom single length

Mizuno MP-T11 54/60
PING Anser 2 'pat pending' stainless 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
PING Hoofer green

3

#4 misplacedtexan83

misplacedtexan83

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 242907
  • Joined: 04/04/2013
  • Location:Maryland for Now (???? in the future)
GolfWRX Likes : 7106

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

I would definitely get a couple of sleeves of balls and try to see if anything is better or not. Im afraid he is not compressing the ball enough to get the max out of what the ball is made to do.

Srixon Qstar tour..

Project A

Even check out Snell/ Vice

NXT Tour S is another Titleist ball

Volvik is another ball company that make good balls for distance and spin.

Edited by misplacedtexan83, 23 July 2017 - 08:58 AM.

9* Callaway EPIC SZ w/ XTORISON COPPER 60S ** 13.5* Callaway EPIC SZ w/ HZDRUS 65 S

20* Callaway EPIC Hybrid w/ Recoil 780 S

  5-A Callaway Steelhead Pros w/Ctaper Lite S
Callaway MD Forged 50/10 *** Callaway MD Forged 54/10 *** Callaway MD3 58/11 W Grind *** Callaway MD3 64/08 C grind
Low Tide Rip Curl w/UST Frequency Filtered (2.0*, 72 lie, 36in)


4

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

If his total drive is 210-215 then he is a beast at 10 years old.  He is in the top 1% of driving distance for kids his age.  

You need to take him to get fitted for a ball.  It is usually no charge.  If his total driving distance is truly 210-215 then his swing speed is around 82 mph.  80mph is right at the bottom end of the spectrum for using a ProV1.  There probably isn't any reason to change if his swing speed is that fast.  A ProV1 is on the high side of a medium compression ball.  There would really be no reason at that swing speed to drop down to a low compression ball if he his swing speed is in the 80's and he is used to it.

I would definitely get him on a launch monitor just to get an average swing speed.


5

#6 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

My swing speed is 101-105 and I don't even compress the ProV1 enough. I hit the Qstar Tour and regularly get 280-310 yd total drives on a rope. The extra spin on the ProV usually means more side spin. But agree, get some balls and test them.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Matrix Black Tie stiff 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 21* CTL R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

6

#7 Bertsy20

Bertsy20

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473086
  • Joined: 06/27/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 July 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

If his total drive is 210-215 then he is a beast at 10 years old.  He is in the top 1% of driving distance for kids his age.  

You need to take him to get fitted for a ball.  It is usually no charge.  If his total driving distance is truly 210-215 then his swing speed is around 82 mph.  80mph is right at the bottom end of the spectrum for using a ProV1.  There probably isn't any reason to change if his swing speed is that fast.  A ProV1 is on the high side of a medium compression ball.  There would really be no reason at that swing speed to drop down to a low compression ball if he his swing speed is in the 80's and he is used to it.

I would definitely get him on a launch monitor just to get an average swing speed.


7

#8 Bertsy20

Bertsy20

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473086
  • Joined: 06/27/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

He is at that top percent of his age group. He does very well and has had a lot of early success. His swing speed is about 80.  I appreciate your input. I'm just trying to find the best ball for him.  I'd like to get him fitted for balls but don't have something too close to us. I could buy a ton of different balls and test them which I will most likely do, but thought I'd throw it out to the golf people on this site. Thanks again for your thoughts.

8

#9 Bertsy20

Bertsy20

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473086
  • Joined: 06/27/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input. I do appreciate it. I threw it out there to see if anyone had some first hand knowledge or experience. I have a bunch of the Bridgestone B330RX sleeves we've received free from tournaments and the Srixon Z-Star. I will try them and compare. I've also heard some good things about the Callaway super soft and the Wilson Duo.  TThe only way to find out is try. Just looking for best fit ball for my son. Thanks again

9

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostBertsy20, on 23 July 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Thanks to everyone for your input. I do appreciate it. I threw it out there to see if anyone had some first hand knowledge or experience. I have a bunch of the Bridgestone B330RX sleeves we've received free from tournaments and the Srixon Z-Star. I will try them and compare. I've also heard some good things about the Callaway super soft and the Wilson Duo.  TThe only way to find out is try. Just looking for best fit ball for my son. Thanks again

Try the Wilson Duo Urethane.  It is a 55 compression compared to the ProV1 that is a 90 compression.  The ball will travel further than the ProV1.  The Duo Urethane is an upper end ball at $38.00 a dozen.  It checks up nice on the greens.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Bertsy, now that I know who your kid is, I wouldn't change balls.  Your kid is certainly in the top 1% of 10 year old golfers.  The advice for you and your kid would be completely different than the advice to an average 10 year old.  A 10 year old hitting over 200 is ridiculous (in a good way).  If your kid were 8 or 9 I would have told you to definitely switch balls.  At this stage in the game I don't know if it would be best for your kid.  Your kids swing speed isn't going to get any slower.  If he switches balls it will be a learning curve for him more than likely.  Who is to say in a year that his swing speed will reach 90mph?  In all likely hood it will not.  Still if it does you made a switch to a low compression ball and within a year he has to switch back.  In all likely hood he will be getting to 90 mph within two years.  When he gets there he still had to make a learning curve to another ball and then has to make the learning curve back to a medium to high compression ball.  I just don't see the benefits of changing at this stage of the game.  He will get 5-10 yards more distance, but it may not be worth it.

I would, however, try some other balls.  Skip right to the chase and go to balls that will perform similar to the ProV.

Wilson Duo Urethane  Low Compresssion
Callaway Chromesoft  Truvis Technology  Low Compression  

I wouldn't try any other balls.  The Pro V1 is a mid compression ball as is the Bridgeston 330-RXS.  You are just trading off balls.  He may get a little extra out of of the Bridgestone but not enough to see any significant difference because the compressions are similar.  The 330-RXS is also a hard ball.  If he is used to the feel of the ProV he isn't going to like it.

11

#12 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:00 AM

My boy is 12 and competes. He loves the Taylormade Project-a ball.

12

#13 dpb5031

dpb5031

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
  • Joined: 10/21/2008
  • Location:Central NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 1693

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

Listen to Heavy Hitter and have your son stick with a premium tour level golf ball.  Probably no reason to switch from ProV1, but maybe just experiment with some other brands.

One that has not been mentioned is TM's new TP5x.  My daughter switched to this ball recently and it launches noticeably higher off of her irons than other balls yet still holds a stable flight in the wind.

13

#14 killer21

killer21

    Killer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31162
  • Joined: 06/08/2007
  • Location:Stoney Creek, On
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for advice, going give my 8 year old daughter a dozen Wilson Duo Urethane to try.
She definitely needs some spin around the greens. She needs to improve her short game so hopefully this ball and practice will help.  Hopefully it doesn't hurt her driver flight.  That is going pretty well.
Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

14

#15 killer21

killer21

    Killer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31162
  • Joined: 06/08/2007
  • Location:Stoney Creek, On
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:17 PM

View Postkiller21, on 20 September 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Thanks for advice, going give my 8 year old daughter a dozen Wilson Duo Urethane to try.
She definitely needs some spin around the greens. She needs to improve her short game so hopefully this ball and practice will help.  Hopefully it doesn't hurt her driver flight.  That is going pretty well.

Quick update. Wilson Duo Urethane excellent for 8 year old daughter.  Better around the greens and fantastic off the driver.

Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

15

#16 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

My 11 y/o son has been trying the Wilson Duo Urethane lately and has been liking it.  We don't have any empirical data to back anything up but he did tell me the last time he played the ball kept checking on approach shots more than he thought it would.  This is on a course he plays all the time.  He had been playing the Callaway Chrome Soft for the last year or so.

FYI, my son has played some rounds with a 10 y/o that regularly hits it 230-240. We are not talking about a big kid but he SMASHES it.  In the DCP competition he hit one 250 yards. he made it to Augusta this year.

16

#17 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 03 October 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

My 11 y/o son has been trying the Wilson Duo Urethane lately and has been liking it.  We don't have any empirical data to back anything up but he did tell me the last time he played the ball kept checking on approach shots more than he thought it would.  This is on a course he plays all the time.  He had been playing the Callaway Chrome Soft for the last year or so.

FYI, my son has played some rounds with a 10 y/o that regularly hits it 230-240. We are not talking about a big kid but he SMASHES it.  In the DCP competition he hit one 250 yards. he made it to Augusta this year.

Mine has loved the Duo.  Unfortunately for him, it is time to switch balls to a higher compression.  He was fooling around the the ProV1 the other day and getting about 10 more yards out of it.  His swing speed has crept up some and he is able to compress the ProV now.  It is now about finding what he wants.  He is a rebel and doesn't want to do what everyone else does.  He likes the ProV, but wants to try other brands, just not use what everyone else uses.  He is going to try the FG Tour first which is a 70 compression.

17

#18 leezer99

leezer99

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 03 October 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 03 October 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

My 11 y/o son has been trying the Wilson Duo Urethane lately and has been liking it.  We don't have any empirical data to back anything up but he did tell me the last time he played the ball kept checking on approach shots more than he thought it would.  This is on a course he plays all the time.  He had been playing the Callaway Chrome Soft for the last year or so.

FYI, my son has played some rounds with a 10 y/o that regularly hits it 230-240. We are not talking about a big kid but he SMASHES it.  In the DCP competition he hit one 250 yards. he made it to Augusta this year.

Mine has loved the Duo.  Unfortunately for him, it is time to switch balls to a higher compression.  He was fooling around the the ProV1 the other day and getting about 10 more yards out of it.  His swing speed has crept up some and he is able to compress the ProV now.  It is now about finding what he wants.  He is a rebel and doesn't want to do what everyone else does.  He likes the ProV, but wants to try other brands, just not use what everyone else uses.  He is going to try the FG Tour first which is a 70 compression.

TM TP5 amigo... 83 compression.  He won't look back after he plays one hole with it.

18

#19 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

View Postleezer99, on 03 October 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 03 October 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 03 October 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

My 11 y/o son has been trying the Wilson Duo Urethane lately and has been liking it.  We don't have any empirical data to back anything up but he did tell me the last time he played the ball kept checking on approach shots more than he thought it would.  This is on a course he plays all the time.  He had been playing the Callaway Chrome Soft for the last year or so.

FYI, my son has played some rounds with a 10 y/o that regularly hits it 230-240. We are not talking about a big kid but he SMASHES it.  In the DCP competition he hit one 250 yards. he made it to Augusta this year.

Mine has loved the Duo.  Unfortunately for him, it is time to switch balls to a higher compression.  He was fooling around the the ProV1 the other day and getting about 10 more yards out of it.  His swing speed has crept up some and he is able to compress the ProV now.  It is now about finding what he wants.  He is a rebel and doesn't want to do what everyone else does.  He likes the ProV, but wants to try other brands, just not use what everyone else uses.  He is going to try the FG Tour first which is a 70 compression.

TM TP5 amigo... 83 compression.  He won't look back after he plays one hole with it.

I bought him two dozen and he sold them to his buddy.  He didn't like them.

19


Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors