Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Sugarloaf Social Club (SSC)

45 replies to this topic

#31 md_mcewen

md_mcewen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297077
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image

Got a little sticker/button package from them a week ago. Nice little gift in the mail

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5*
Adams Tight lies 16*
Ping G30 19*
Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS c-taper 120
Mack Daddy3 52S & 58C TT wedge shaft
Seemore Si-4 (34") Superstroke 1.0 Flatso

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 towncryer

towncryer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102787
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Too bad this thread devolved into something that seems to be the antithesis of what SSC is all about.

From looking at their website and following on social media, SSC seems to be about bringing back what we love about golf. Playing with good friends, enjoying the sport for what it is and not obsessing over having perfect conditions or putting on airs about where we play. Playing golf because we love playing it. I love it. I've supported it with a couple purchases, and tonight I picked up two of the Penguin shirts they collaborated on together.

SSC is the most exciting golf related anything I've stumbled across for a while. Can't wait for my Loafwich HC and yardage book holster...even bought some blank yardage books to map my home course as I patiently wait for it to open in (hopefully) a couple weeks.

Play or perish.
Rogue 10.5 Diamana D+ 70x
Rogue 2h Diamana D+ 90x
PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
SM7 52, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
Scotty Cameron Tour Newport
Vice Pro Plus

#33 mmckee02

mmckee02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68884
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mpmckee02
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

View Posttowncryer, on 26 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Playing with good friends, enjoying the sport for what it is and not obsessing over having perfect conditions or putting on airs about where we play. Playing golf because we love playing it.

Dead on, thats what I like about it also.

MM

#34 Vanderslam9

Vanderslam9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489608
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

Love the SSC Insta page, and what they are all about. Don't think there is anything 'funny' about the brand as others have stated.. just a bunch of guys looking to play golf, have fun, and grow the game.
Ping G30 Driver
Tour Edge Exotics 3W
Tour Edge Exotics Driving Iron
Bridgestone J15 4-PW
Fourteen Wedge (52, 56, 60)
Ping Ketsch

#35 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Happy Holidays!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 12287

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:52 PM

Bought some of the pimento cheese hats - weather nice enough to play during the Masters I know what I'll be wearing (and eating - pack a little brown bag of the sandwiches every year to take to work and/or the course).

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

#36 bnr204

bnr204

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16460
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

i follow them on instagram, a bit begrudingly. the don white stuff and logos are cool, but i haven't bought anything. i find their hidden gem project to be a touch of a joke given some of the places that are on it compared to some that are not on it. not to mention that there instagram feed is full of elite courses well out of price. i do know that 1 of the founders played in college for rollins, so at least all the pictures of instagram of bags w/ blades have some legitimacy to it. as for " Playing golf because we love playing it" - i mean that's totally subjective because we all love playing golf for different reasons. i enjoy the competition, the chase for the elusive perfect round, the thrill of a good win, a great layout and walking. who i play with is less important to me than playing quickly. listen this is just my opinion but the best thing for any golf social media influencer to focus on these days is the pace of play in US Golf and how pathetic it is compared to what it is in europe/australia. the NLU boys & Fried egg do a decent job as both focus on push cart usage (carts do not speed up play & also contribute to american obesity) but id love to see even a greater focus. ive seen the trend these days moving towards play as many holes as you can in 4 hours, or pay per hole, and both make sense. however, i'd prefer to see public courses & american influencers hold american public course golfers (and private course golfers in a lot of cases too) to the same standard that they have across the pond, which is 18 holes on foot is expected to be completed in 3-3.5 hours.

#37 mmckee02

mmckee02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

View Postbnr204, on 20 March 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

i find their hidden gem project to be a touch of a joke given some of the places that are on it compared to some that are not on it.

The list of courses are simply a list that the guys have familiarity with, have played before, etc.  I too agree that probably several hundred are missing.  If you have some suggestions to add, send their inbox a note.

#38 towncryer

towncryer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

View Postmmckee02, on 20 March 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

i find their hidden gem project to be a touch of a joke given some of the places that are on it compared to some that are not on it.

The list of courses are simply a list that the guys have familiarity with, have played before, etc.  I too agree that probably several hundred are missing.  If you have some suggestions to add, send their inbox a note.

Yeah, the hidden gem project is designed to get YOU to tell them about courses they don't know. Pick your favorite and fill out the form if you think a deserving course needs to be added.

As far as "playing golf because we love to play it," I see what you're saying...we all have different things about golf that we love. Who I play with is important to me. I'm fine playing by myself or getting grouped with strangers when I walk on...but give me a nice day and my best friends for a round, and it's as good as it gets. Even better if it's a course that we all love.

As far as pace of play...I don't think it's their job to educate us on pace of play. It's the USGA's job, and they suck at it. Besides...everyone wants faster pace for sure. It's not hard to play fast. People choose not to. Until you get marshals on the course enforcing pace, all the style influencers in the world can't do anything to get people to play ready golf, pick up the two-footers if there's a group waiting and space ahead, and basically use their heads.

100% in agreement on walking. Best way to get around by far!
Rogue 2h Diamana D+ 90x
PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
Vice Pro Plus

#39 bnr204

bnr204

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16460
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

View Posttowncryer, on 20 March 2018 - 03:38 PM, said:

View Postmmckee02, on 20 March 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yeah, the hidden gem project is designed to get YOU to tell them about courses they don't know. Pick your favorite and fill out the form if you think a deserving course needs to be added.

As far as "playing golf because we love to play it," I see what you're saying...we all have different things about golf that we love. Who I play with is important to me. I'm fine playing by myself or getting grouped with strangers when I walk on...but give me a nice day and my best friends for a round, and it's as good as it gets. Even better if it's a course that we all love.

As far as pace of play...I don't think it's their job to educate us on pace of play. It's the USGA's job, and they suck at it. Besides...everyone wants faster pace for sure. It's not hard to play fast. People choose not to. Until you get marshals on the course enforcing pace, all the style influencers in the world can't do anything to get people to play ready golf, pick up the two-footers if there's a group waiting and space ahead, and basically use their heads.

100% in agreement on walking. Best way to get around by far!

on the hidden gem thing, what about getting them to remove courses that clearly aren't hidden gems (though the counter argument is that's open to interpretation)? for example van cortland park in nyc, even if tom bendelow laid it out, is not a hidden gem, nor is poxabogue in the hamptons... now skyway in jersey city, thats a different story, that place is sweet.

and youre right, its not their job to educate, just saying it would be nice if someone took up that as their cause. i also dont think everyone wants to play faster, ive encountered way too many groups ahead of me who just enjoy being "out there", away from family, with friends etc, and play slowly by never being ready to hit or wait until someone is way too out from tee box to tee off etc. IMO the leading causes of slow play are mediocre golfers waiting until group ahead is 280 from tee box before teeing off or waiting to hit a green from 225 out. basically waiting for career shots instead of playing the odds. that plus people never being ready to hit (e.g. while 1 guy is hitting, the other is sitting in the cart instead of taking his club and walking 9 yards ahead and to the right to his ball to hit).

#40 CDM

CDM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
GolfWRX Likes : 422

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Having watched this thread and checked out SSC online I honestly agree with most the post here. I have had a few people make similar comments about "playing golf because we love to play it" and that SSC is not promoting anything new.

The comments I have not seen in this thread (which is good) about SSC....they appear to some people to come off as  "Special" or "Elitist". That they are "doing" something different (ie: playing because we love it) that others players are not, adding in they sell a product to promote it.  I think its comments like in post 2 of this thread is what gives people that impression...wrong or write.

Personally I agree, if they changed up the "model" it would be more popular.  But as far I can tell from what is available.... its a group of guys like most WRX'ers who made a Club/Brand to get some $$$ coming in to play golf.... :) (brilliant if it works for them..)  I just don't see anything they currently offer being relevant at this point.

Edited by Chile Dip Master, 20 March 2018 - 05:51 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 towncryer

towncryer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

Well, like anything with anything...some people like SSC, some people donít get what all the buzz is about. Thereís probably a group for every type of golfer out there on the old WWW. I found one for me in SSC. You either dig it, or you donít. Iím absolutely the type of person who hates it when someone tries to convince me to like something that I donít, so I wonít waste too much time trying to do the same to anyone else.

Edited by towncryer, 20 March 2018 - 06:52 PM.

Rogue 2h Diamana D+ 90x
PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
Vice Pro Plus

#42 mmckee02

mmckee02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

View Posttowncryer, on 20 March 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Well, like anything with anything...some people like SSC, some people don't get what all the buzz is about. There's probably a group for every type of golfer out there on the old WWW. I found one for me in SSC. You either dig it, or you don't. I'm absolutely the type of person who hates it when someone tries to convince me to like something that I don't, so I won't waste too much time trying to do the same to anyone else.

Well put.

#43 QC Heel

QC Heel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448084
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:23 PM

Put me in the camp that has no idea what Sugarloaf Social Club is or why I should care about them. All I see is expensive gear with their logo, plus a few items with an icon that vaguely resembles a pimento cheese sammich.

#44 woofelfin

woofelfin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152097
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

Did anyone grab and extra hat from last nights drop? If so please let me know!

#45 Cuff

Cuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514424
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostPALS-SSA, on 06 August 2017 - 03:11 AM, said:

I just wish the irons company had a website for ordering.

http://www.nationalcustomworks.com/

some of the prettiest irons i have ever seen.

#46 leftyDH04

leftyDH04

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514716
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

Funny to me (ironic is probably the better word choice) that a critic would have purchased from them.

I like they're style but haven't bought anything.

My understanding is it's just a bunch of fellas that were golf pals in high school and college.  They have real jobs and produce these little nick nacks on the side.  I think the anti-elitism comes from other guys they know that get into a sweet club and only play there or an interclub at another sweet club.

If you wanted a set of amazing hand ground blades why not buy them from SSC and have part of the money go to First Tee?  Same thing as bidding on a raffle items at a charity tournament.

Leadership might look like foregoing a cart, occasionally playing a goat track when travelling rather than sitting at the bar at the hotel, etc. - nothing wrong with having opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors