Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Sugarloaf Social Club (SSC)


30 replies to this topic

#1 JARNO

JARNO

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53724
  • Joined: 04/15/2008
  • Ebay ID:Jarn06
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Over the last few months I've been reducing play from 18 holes to 9 holes to skip out really quick on the way home or on slow days in the field. I that same amount of time I came across Sugarloaf Social Club as a clothing/accessories company; not realizing until recently they have a membership page.

I've searched high and low for details for joining, applying literally anything besides their ethos and it's just not out there which makes it even more desirable:

Quote

And just think folks, this was published in 1926. Almost 100 years later, golf is still dealing with the same issues of accessibility, affordability and the dilution of enjoyment. That is why we champion short courses like Schoolhouse Nine and goat tracks like East Potomac. The big fancy places are fantastic, but if this game is to endure, and not perish, we need to love, support and play whenever, wherever and with whomever.

If there is a stick to be had, a ball to be struck and a hole off yonder - that's all one needs.

How lucky we all are, see you out there ...

Play or Perish & Carry On,

SUGARLOAF SOCIAL CLUB

I wasn't sure if anyone here has any info on this group, I'd love to reach out to them outside of social Media?

Thank you in advance!

JBA

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_4478.PNG

Titleist 909Comp 9.5* - Diamana Whiteboard Flowerband 70g-X
Titleist 906F 15.5* - Diamana Blueboard 70g-S
Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 20* - UST Mamiya TSPX 85g-X
Ping S57 4-9 - S300
Vokey 46.08 : 52.08 : 56.10 Spin Milled
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 - 35.75"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

You don't find them. They find you.

2

#3 JARNO

JARNO

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53724
  • Joined: 04/15/2008
  • Ebay ID:Jarn06
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like a Skull and Bones deal. Haha
Titleist 909Comp 9.5* - Diamana Whiteboard Flowerband 70g-X
Titleist 906F 15.5* - Diamana Blueboard 70g-S
Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 20* - UST Mamiya TSPX 85g-X
Ping S57 4-9 - S300
Vokey 46.08 : 52.08 : 56.10 Spin Milled
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 - 35.75"

3

#4 mmckee02

mmckee02

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68884
  • Joined: 11/07/2008
  • Location:Philadelphia
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mpmckee02
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

View Postmatthewb, on 22 July 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

You don't find them. They find you.

Yep, a golf purist society of sorts.

4

#5 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
  • Joined: 04/03/2015
  • Location:Arkansas
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.


5

#6 mmckee02

mmckee02

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68884
  • Joined: 11/07/2008
  • Location:Philadelphia
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mpmckee02
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.

Historically, proceeds have benefitted charities devoted to growing the game for the underprivileged.  What's wrong with that?

6

#7 FAbb

FAbb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125500
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 11813

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

View Postmmckee02, on 25 July 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.

Historically, proceeds have benefitted charities devoted to growing the game for the underprivileged.  What's wrong with that?

I don't know them, or how they run things, but that's the same idea I had gotten just from following them on Instagram, and their email list.

Like these, for example:

https://www.imperial...the-headmaster/

We have partnered with Sugarloaf Social Club to bring you this exclusive “Play or Perish” collection of hats and visors. $10 from each item sold will be donated to a select junior golf initiative. The inaugural beneficiary of this first-run collection is Schoolhouse Nine in Rappahannock County, Virginia. Donated proceeds will help subsidize much needed equipment and professional instruction for underprivileged junior golfers in the surrounding area.


Pretty awesome of them, if you ask me.

7

#8 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
  • Joined: 04/03/2015
  • Location:Arkansas
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I said I find it humorous.

8

#9 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

Sounds pretty cool to me.

9

#10 Doc420

Doc420

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19444
  • Joined: 09/14/2006
  • Handicap:lots
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.
considering those irons are made by Don White, the price is correct.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
  • Joined: 04/03/2015
  • Location:Arkansas
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostDoc420, on 31 July 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.
considering those irons are made by Don White, the price is correct.

I think you missed the point.

11

#12 SteveC223

SteveC223

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334391
  • Joined: 08/17/2014
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostJunkerJorge, on 01 August 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostDoc420, on 31 July 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.
considering those irons are made by Don White, the price is correct.

I think you missed the point.

Haha honestly I think YOU are the one who is missing the point...

12

#13 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
  • Joined: 04/03/2015
  • Location:Arkansas
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostSteveC223, on 02 August 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 01 August 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostDoc420, on 31 July 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.
considering those irons are made by Don White, the price is correct.

I think you missed the point.

Haha honestly I think YOU are the one who is missing the point...

You can think whatever you want. I never questioned the value of anything. PXG and Muira may be worth what they command on the market. But those brands don't exactly scream affordability and accessibility.

I think the stuff is cool. I understand that they donate to a portion of proceeds. I get it. It's great marketing and they are probably good guys. I don't begrudge them and in their position I might do the same thing. Millennials love to buy stuff to fight consumerism, shop for benevolence, and be so cool with the in crowd that they don't conform. That doesn't mean I don't think it's funny.

13

#14 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostJunkerJorge, on 03 August 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

View PostSteveC223, on 02 August 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 01 August 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostDoc420, on 31 July 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 24 July 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So they are trying to combat issues of affordability and accessibility by selling $40 hats and irons sets north of $3k?

Not trying to cap these guys but that does strike me as humorous.
considering those irons are made by Don White, the price is correct.

I think you missed the point.

Haha honestly I think YOU are the one who is missing the point...

You can think whatever you want. I never questioned the value of anything. PXG and Muira may be worth what they command on the market. But those brands don't exactly scream affordability and accessibility.

I think the stuff is cool. I understand that they donate to a portion of proceeds. I get it. It's great marketing and they are probably good guys. I don't begrudge them and in their position I might do the same thing. Millennials love to buy stuff to fight consumerism, shop for benevolence, and be so cool with the in crowd that they don't conform. That doesn't mean I don't think it's funny.

I'm not a millennial but let's be a bit more fair to them anyway.

Thorstein Veblen published "The Theory of the Leisure Class" in 1899. In that book he coined the term conspicuous consumption. What you're referring to is hardly new nor unique to a current generation.

As far as affordability, they are referring to the ability to play public courses with reasonable greens fees. Focusing on the price of items they sell does not negate their mission nor does it cast a shadow on it.

Edited by matthewb, 03 August 2017 - 02:32 PM.


14

#15 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
  • Joined: 04/03/2015
  • Location:Arkansas
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Dude. I'm not trying to "cast a shadow" on anything. I never said they are doing anything evil, unethical, or otherwise. I have made a purchase from them. I said it was humorous. I said in the original post I wasn't trying to cap them. The stuff they sell (high crown visors, with a picture of a high crown visor no less, homages to being on property at Augusta National, hand made irons) are things I don't associate with accessibility. There is nothing wrong with that. But if Krispy Kreme started donating a portion of their proceeds on every donut to the American Heart Association I would find that funny. Do I have a problem with Krispy Kreme? No. Do I have a problem with the AHA? No. Do I have a problem with KK supporting AHA? No. But I would find it amusing.

I also think the whole "buy your self luxury items to help the world" thing is funny. Not evil. Not wrong. Funny.


15

#16 S.A. OSO

S.A. OSO

    steady, steady........

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23841
  • Joined: 01/10/2007
  • Location:Northern Virginia - USA
  • Ebay ID:rdelargy
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

I like the US map on their site with the courses they deem hidden gems. Mostly they are basic, bread and butter, public type courses. The list could be helpful if traveling to or by one of these courses.
Driver - R15 430; Fuji Speeder Evolution 757 Tour Spec S; 10.5
3 Wood - AeroBurner TP HL; Matrix White Tie 70x4; 16.5
Hybrid 1 - Mizuno T-Zoid FLI-HI - 21
Hybrid 2 - Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25
5 iron to PW - Maltby MMB
Wedge 1 - Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52
Wedge 2 - Maltby CER; 56
Wedge 3 - Maltby M-Series; 60
Putter - Ping Zing 2

16

#17 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostJunkerJorge, on 03 August 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Dude. I'm not trying to "cast a shadow" on anything. I never said they are doing anything evil, unethical, or otherwise. I have made a purchase from them. I said it was humorous. I said in the original post I wasn't trying to cap them. The stuff they sell (high crown visors, with a picture of a high crown visor no less, homages to being on property at Augusta National, hand made irons) are things I don't associate with accessibility. There is nothing wrong with that. But if Krispy Kreme started donating a portion of their proceeds on every donut to the American Heart Association I would find that funny. Do I have a problem with Krispy Kreme? No. Do I have a problem with the AHA? No. Do I have a problem with KK supporting AHA? No. But I would find it amusing.

I also think the whole "buy your self luxury items to help the world" thing is funny. Not evil. Not wrong. Funny.

This is comparable to Krispy Kreme and the American Heart Association? Now that's funny.

You're making much to do about nothing. I find that humorous.



17

#18 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
  • Joined: 04/03/2015
  • Location:Arkansas
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View PostJunkerJorge, on 03 August 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Dude. I'm not trying to "cast a shadow" on anything. I never said they are doing anything evil, unethical, or otherwise. I have made a purchase from them. I said it was humorous. I said in the original post I wasn't trying to cap them. The stuff they sell (high crown visors, with a picture of a high crown visor no less, homages to being on property at Augusta National, hand made irons) are things I don't associate with accessibility. There is nothing wrong with that. But if Krispy Kreme started donating a portion of their proceeds on every donut to the American Heart Association I would find that funny. Do I have a problem with Krispy Kreme? No. Do I have a problem with the AHA? No. Do I have a problem with KK supporting AHA? No. But I would find it amusing.

I also think the whole "buy your self luxury items to help the world" thing is funny. Not evil. Not wrong. Funny.

This is comparable to Krispy Kreme and the American Heart Association? Now that's funny.

You're making much to do about nothing. I find that humorous.

I'm not making a big deal out of anything. I said something strikes me as funny. Saying something is funny is making a big deal?

Since people seemed to be offended by that, I tried to clarify my statement. I have repeatedly said that I do not feel they are doing anything wrong or evil. But clearly that is not enough so I will retract. Nothing is funny about SSC. Visors with visors on them are nothing but serious business that are bringing style, class equality, and social justice to our land. I can only pray that SSC does a collaboration with Toms shoes and donates golf shoes to the kids needing golf shoes in countries across the world.

Good luck in your continued fight against "the man." Maybe if y'all buy enough of this stuff you will finally take him down.

18

#19 rkristopheranderson

rkristopheranderson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131947
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

Quote

I'm not a millennial but let's be a bit more fair to them anyway.

Thorstein Veblen published "The Theory of the Leisure Class" in 1899. In that book he coined the term conspicuous consumption. What you're referring to is hardly new nor unique to a current generation.

As far as affordability, they are referring to the ability to play public courses with reasinable greens fees. Focusing on the price of items they sell does not negate their mission nor does it cast a shadow on it.

Well, to be fair, Veblen crticized the "leisure class" and "conspicous consumption" when he wrote *Theory of the Leisure Class.* A central theme in his work was that people with that identity were not raising a generation of future leaders, they were living as though they owed nothing to the rest of society. Later, the idea of welfare capitlaism arose in part as a response to this sort of criticism.  It sems to me that this SSC is very much in that vein--whether that is distasteful or not is a matter of personal perspective. But keep in mind that this sort of activity does tend to flourish when people need some sort of justification for living as they want when other people struggle.

OP probably meant "ironic" rather than "humorous"--but I don't want to put words in his mouth. And, gotta say, it is ironic to sell/buy golf gear/clubs in the name of accessibility when the people you want to help can't hope to afford what you're selling.

I guess I'd be more impressed if the people who could afford this stuff were opening up access to these same underprivleged junior golfers at exclusive country clubs. THAT would speak volumes.

Edited by rkristopheranderson, 03 August 2017 - 10:12 AM.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

19

#20 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

Out of all the contradictions inherent to capitalism and a free economy, SSC is hardly a worthy target. But it is entertaining to watch some of you positioning as cultural critics.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 rkristopheranderson

rkristopheranderson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131947
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Out of all the contradictions inherent to capitalism and a free economy, SSC is hardly a worthy target. But it is entertaining to watch some of you positioning as cultural critics.

I think you mean "posing."

But, ok.
Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

21

#22 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Out of all the contradictions inherent to capitalism and a free economy, SSC is hardly a worthy target. But it is entertaining to watch some of you positioning as cultural critics.

I think you mean "posing."

But, ok.

No. I'm comfortable with my word choices.

22

#23 rkristopheranderson

rkristopheranderson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131947
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:40 PM

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Out of all the contradictions inherent to capitalism and a free economy, SSC is hardly a worthy target. But it is entertaining to watch some of you positioning as cultural critics.

I think you mean "posing."

But, ok.

No. I'm comfortable with my word choices.

*sigh*

I keep forgetting to not feed the trolls.
Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

23

#24 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Out of all the contradictions inherent to capitalism and a free economy, SSC is hardly a worthy target. But it is entertaining to watch some of you positioning as cultural critics.

I think you mean "posing."

But, ok.

No. I'm comfortable with my word choices.

*sigh*

I keep forgetting to not feed the trolls.

Seems like you're the one trolling here. Nitpicking--and doing so poorly--on word choices? Seriously?

24

#25 rkristopheranderson

rkristopheranderson

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131947
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postmatthewb, on 03 August 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Out of all the contradictions inherent to capitalism and a free economy, SSC is hardly a worthy target. But it is entertaining to watch some of you positioning as cultural critics.

I think you mean "posing."

But, ok.

No. I'm comfortable with my word choices.

*sigh*

I keep forgetting to not feed the trolls.

Seems like you're the one trolling here. Nitpicking--and doing so poorly--on word choices? Seriously?

Ok, fine, its a slow day anyway. I'll bite on the "I know you are, but what am I?" argument.

Yes, seriously. I am picking on your word choice.

You said "positioning" as a cultural critic. You're suggesting that people who disagree with you are not worth listening to becuase they are assuming some sort of authority they do not actually possess. You're saying someone who says spending a lot of money to get something that makes one feel better about themselves is odd is someone not to be taken seriously. "Posing" means to "act as." It is a different thing. So, you are more than free to be comfortable with your word choices.  It doesn't mean you'll be taken seriously just because you (as the thread's history seems to indicate) stand up and (virtually) yell.  

What I find most ironic about all of this is that in a thread discussing a group that seems interested in opening access to golf courses, you seem rather intent on shutting up people who have different ideas about acheiving the same end. If you were really interested in making it possible for more people to play golf, you should also be the kind of person who thought anyone has the right to critique culture. Otherwise, your support of such a group really just is posturing.

Say whatever you want; I'll even give you the last word. I've pretty well said my piece for the day.

Good luck on ya, and remember, "We pays our money, we takes our chances."

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

25

#26 jerebear21

jerebear21

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338509
  • Joined: 09/08/2014
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:bearjere21
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

^^^Irony
Byron GSS DH89
Newport CircleT SSS Mid-Slant
GMT 16750 PEPSI
SUB 5513

https://www.thehuyhuynhfoundation.com/

26

#27 matthewb

matthewb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34838
  • Joined: 07/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postrkristopheranderson, on 03 August 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:


Ok, fine, its a slow day anyway. I'll bite on the "I know you are, but what am I?" argument.

Yes, seriously. I am picking on your word choice.

You said "positioning" as a cultural critic. You're suggesting that people who disagree with you are not worth listening to becuase they are assuming some sort of authority they do not actually possess. You're saying someone who says spending a lot of money to get something that makes one feel better about themselves is odd is someone not to be taken seriously. "Posing" means to "act as." It is a different thing. So, you are more than free to be comfortable with your word choices.  It doesn't mean you'll be taken seriously just because you (as the thread's history seems to indicate) stand up and (virtually) yell.  

What I find most ironic about all of this is that in a thread discussing a group that seems interested in opening access to golf courses, you seem rather intent on shutting up people who have different ideas about acheiving the same end. If you were really interested in making it possible for more people to play golf, you should also be the kind of person who thought anyone has the right to critique culture. Otherwise, your support of such a group really just is posturing.

Say whatever you want; I'll even give you the last word. I've pretty well said my piece for the day.

Good luck on ya, and remember, "We pays our money, we takes our chances."

You seem to be projecting your own stuff. Good luck dealing with that.

27

#28 cvhookem63

cvhookem63

    HOOK 'EM

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 307989
  • Joined: 04/11/2014
  • Location:East Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 2741

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Regardless of all of the nonsense that is filling up most of this thread, the Sugarloaf gear releases have been great. I hope they keep doing what they are doing.
WITB Link
TaylorMade 2017 M1 9.5* Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 8X
NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 5-9 Project X 6.5
NIKE OVEN Engage 46*SS TI X100 | 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
NIKE OVEN Origin B2-05 Long Slant | Scotty Cameron SB
Posted Image Posted Image

28

#29 PALS-SSA

PALS-SSA

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24670
  • Joined: 01/28/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

I just wish the irons company had a website for ordering.

29

#30 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

This got me thinking about starting a "secret society" of local fellow golfers where we'd get together once a month to pool some bucks for a chosen charity while enjoying a cold one, having putting contests, playing some golf, etc. Don't need to tell anybody who we are. Just deliver a check once in a while.

Edited by BeerPerHole, 12 September 2017 - 09:54 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors