Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Pad GPS - Link System

Golfpad GPS Link

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TJSlayer

TJSlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253578
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

Just received the system from the Kickstarter Campaign yesterday and will be heading out for my first round in a few hours, so hoping it all goes smooth.

https://golfpadgps.com/link/

Been using the GolfPadGPS app since the spring and pretty impressed with the way it works with the apple watch series 2 and iPhone 7.

Was using Golflogix before this and GolfPadGPS certainly is more responsive on the watch and allows you to do more. Yes it does require an annual subscription, but it's not a big deal and they are continually adding features and improving things. Really liking the app so here hoping the link system works as well as it was advertised too...

Will post an update later.

Also for attaching the tag to a putter grip that is counterbalanced all I did was snip the plastic screw off the tag with some side cutters and used a few pieces of 3M double sided Autobody trim tape to secure it to the end. Seems to hold really well, sits flat, yet can still be removed with a little effort if need be.

Tight Lies!

TJ

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 redrover69

redrover69

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471454
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

Keep us posted

Whats the difference between golfpadgps and game golf?

Same basic idea except game golf seems to be a lot less expensive

#3 acularw

acularw

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436860
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'm also curious about first impressions. Seems like the two major advantages over game golf are 1) improved accuracy from using both GPS and GLONASS and 2) more discreet head unit since its smaller and black instead of red.
Driver: Ping G30
Fairway: TEE E8 15*
Hybrids: Maltby KE4 Tour HDI 21*, TEE E8 22*
Irons: Maltby DBM 4-PW
Wedges: Maltby M-Series+ 56* Tour Sole, 60* Mid Sole
Putter: Accusite ASP2

#4 Ezgolfer

Ezgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19575
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Why not use Garmin S 60 watch?

#5 SuperSwede28

SuperSwede28

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428684
  • Handicap:+0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

Put in my online order this past Wednesday, but I'm still waiting on shipping confirmation. It will be my first golf tracking "gadget". I can't wait to try it out. Looking forward to hear how it works out.

#6 acularw

acularw

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436860
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostEzgolfer, on 23 July 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Why not use Garmin S 60 watch?

This will keep track of yardages for different clubs.
Driver: Ping G30
Fairway: TEE E8 15*
Hybrids: Maltby KE4 Tour HDI 21*, TEE E8 22*
Irons: Maltby DBM 4-PW
Wedges: Maltby M-Series+ 56* Tour Sole, 60* Mid Sole
Putter: Accusite ASP2

#7 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250880
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 756

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

Have used the premium ap for several years and its a good score keeper and works well with my Apple watch, and worked well with my Pebble when I wore that.

however, 229 plus a 20 / year subscription in order to use the thing is a little steep given the competition.  my $.02, but dunno...
Ping G400 LST Aldila Rogue Silver 70 2.8 X
Ping i25 3w Aldila Rogue Silver 70 3.1 S
Ping i25 5w Aldila Rogue Silver 70 3.1 S
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping iBlades Blue Dot Project X 6.0 5-W (power spec)
Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Bushnell Tour X

#8 TJSlayer

TJSlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

Well three rounds with it so far works fairly well little buggy sometimes stops responding but  for the most part it works very well hopefully after a few updates and more people are using them will get more steady unit is very small and discreet tag stay in well, they have a little work to do with some of the logic as the satellites seemed to confuse what hole I was on when close to another hole same spot on course for each round so far. Easy to correct and I'm sure they will get it corrected. Easy to tell when shot is recognized. Once I get more in habit of taging it will be even better as sometimes I forgot

#9 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

how is the computer interface/scorecard/beat your friends part of the system.. that is the entire idea that game golf was built upon, online interaction and competition, and it kinda fell flat in that regards... now they have started moving to the online, PGA pro watching his students from afar and what not...

how does the GolfPad system work for that....or is it completely iOS based?
Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Bushnell Tour X

#10 TJSlayer

TJSlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Haven't really looked at that myself but Golfpad is for Android or IOS, in order to use the TAGS with IOS you need the link system, but otherwise you could use a smart watch or phone and just use the system by itself, and with quite a few Android systems you can just use the phone with the TAGS.

So after saying that I have only been using it this system and have had a lot of guys I golf with try it out and almost everyone likes it. One guy preferred Golflogix and went to that instead.

What does impress me with them is that they seem to listen when you actually tell them something so if there is something that you would like to see just ask.

They do have an online dashboard so to speak where you can log in and check out more details about your stats, but I haven't really dug into it as off yet.

And if your not really interested in the TAGS and just want something that works with smartwatches I think theirs works with more brands than any other. Using a golf app on the watch is why I originally bought my apple watch VS the golf GPS watches that are around. I have tried several apps on the watch and I find the golf pad the quickest, easiest and most stable of them all. (Compared to Arccos, Golflogix, Golf Shot, Hole 19 or something and another one but can remember the name).

Will keep ya posted as things get updated and hopefully system improves so that it's good and stable, That's why I got rid of my Arccos system as it would just stop tracking shots or lock up so I was checking after every shot to see if it was registering, and was really slow on the watch. This was the first version and not the newer 360, buts sounds like people are having issues with I as well.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

yeah, I have had GolfPad on my phone for, crap, I guess 4+ years now....  it is in my opinion, the easiest of all the phone apps... the only thing I don't like is the way it interacts with the Apple watch, as far as getting to the information I want...  I want back middle front, and if there is a hazard, I would like to have easy access to it. Every time I want to access something, it tries to put a shot in.. but i all honesty, I haven't spent a ton of time with it... as I have a Garmin S6.  which is easier to get the information.   I just prefer wearing my apple watch and my 343470938457 bands that match my 23904820957 shoes... yes, my wife picks on me about it too...

Edited by Geaux Gators, 09 August 2017 - 08:08 AM.

Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Bushnell Tour X

#12 BlakLanner

BlakLanner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429594
  • Handicap:12.6
  • Ebay ID:BlakLanner
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

I have used the Pro version of the software for two years now and got my LINK unit in the first wave and have been using it for about two months.  It has its quirks (takes a few minutes for the GPS to lock in on startup, had to reset it with a paper clip a few times when it lost contact with the phone, shots recorded between when it lost link with the phone and reset immediately showed up on the phone so nothing was lost) but I am very happy with it.  I do wish it would not require my phone as a middleman to send distance data to my watch though so I can leave my phone on the cart when I walk to my ball but that is understandable as they both work with the app and not each other directly.  The unit is rather small and I don't even notice it on my belt.  The battery lasts a long time.  GolfPad says it lasts for two rounds but I can get three out of it comfortably if I forget to charge it.

As far as the social features go I don't have anyone around me with the system to test it with (I tend to play alone) but I know it has the ability to email scorecards to the other players in your group and GolfPad advertises that if multiple players in your group use the software, it will sync scorecards with them.

Edited by BlakLanner, 08 August 2017 - 08:50 PM.

Driver - Ping G 10.5*
3w - Ping G
Hybrids - Ping G Crossover 18*/21*
5i-PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, NS Modus Tour 105S
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.04L
Putter - Ping Cadence TR Rustler 34"
Ball - Volvik S3

#13 TJSlayer

TJSlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

Well the good news is that they released version2 of the firmware and made some nice improvements...
stayed connected whole time I was playing yesterday, didn't fail to tag a single shot, and never shut off.

I think above he meant to say 2 rounds not hours and yes it should easily be able to go for two full rounds.

Still a little more polish to go but currently no less buggy then say Arccos which has been out for over three years so I think they are doing well.

In a few months I'm confident that it will be very hard to beat, just have to remember to get into the habit of tagging each shot as you go. You can always do this later and can even move the shots to approx. locations to where they took place if you forget, but the more you tag the more accurate things will be...

I most often forget to tag the putts, and more often then not just use my watch for that.

#14 BlakLanner

BlakLanner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I must be getting old, I did mean rounds.  I think I need an editor to proofread my posts.
Driver - Ping G 10.5*
3w - Ping G
Ball - Volvik S3

#15 SuperSwede28

SuperSwede28

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428684
  • Handicap:+0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostBlakLanner, on 02 August 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

I do wish it would not require my phone as a middleman to send distance data to my watch though so I can leave my phone on the cart when I walk to my ball but that is understandable as they both work with the app and not each other directly.  

Not sure if I misunderstood you or the purpose of the LINK (or both :P), but what's the point of the LINK if you can't leave the phone in the cart? Or is it that you have to be aware and not be too far away from the cart to keep the Bluetooth connected for the locations to register properly?  

I got the pads and LINK the other week, but my LINK was malfunctioning, so had to use my phone to tag for my first rounds.  I just received a replacement LINK device and plan to use it this weekend.

Thanks!

#16 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57683
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostSuperSwede28, on 11 August 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostBlakLanner, on 02 August 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

I do wish it would not require my phone as a middleman to send distance data to my watch though so I can leave my phone on the cart when I walk to my ball but that is understandable as they both work with the app and not each other directly.  

Not sure if I misunderstood you or the purpose of the LINK (or both :P), but what's the point of the LINK if you can't leave the phone in the cart? Or is it that you have to be aware and not be too far away from the cart to keep the Bluetooth connected for the locations to register properly?  

I got the pads and LINK the other week, but my LINK was malfunctioning, so had to use my phone to tag for my first rounds.  I just received a replacement LINK device and plan to use it this weekend.

Thanks!

You don't need your phone on you to track shots if you have LINK since it has GPS unit.  However, if  I understand correctly, if you're using a smartwatch to get distances for your approach, the LINK device will not transmit GPS yardage information directly to your smartwatch.  

I believe it may have to do with the fact that different smartwatches (Pebble, Android Wear, Samsung Gear) use different software (the watch has an installed app specific to it's platform that connects with the Golfpad app and also, the smartphone has a specific companion app for each smartwatch platform (Samsung Gear app, Pebble App, Android Wear app, etc), but maybe the LINK device doesn't have the ability (processor type) to run the actual companion software/apps, so it's using the phone as a middle man to get the data transmitted to your wrist. The LINK device has the ability to relay direct data wirelessly to both Android and iPhone devices, but it may be very specific/limited pieces of information (GPS location and club data) and specific to Golfpad GPS app coding.

Theoretically, they could include hardware in the LINK device that would be able to relay distance data directly to a smartwatch, but it would likely increase the cost of the LINK reader since it would need to be able to run the companion apps to run Android and Apple apps as well and likely require the ability to have new 'apps' installed if new smartwatch apps (or updates) became available.  This was likely not a great enough benefit (since everyone has a smartphone) to justify increasing the price.

In other words, if there was a unified platform 'Golfpad WATCH' that you could buy ( in conjunction with LINK and TAGS), then it would be very doable, but since there are too many variables with different smartwatch platforms and apps, it's not feasible.

Hopefully all of that made sense.

Edited by Duke of Hazards, 11 August 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#17 BlakLanner

BlakLanner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostDuke of Hazards, on 11 August 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

You don't need your phone on you to track shots if you have LINK since it has GPS unit.  However, if  I understand correctly, if you're using a smartwatch to get distances for your approach, the LINK device will not transmit GPS yardage information directly to your smartwatch.  

That is exactly what I was meaning.  If you want to use the LINK and leave the phone elsewhere, you will need a laser if you want to measure distances.

Edited by BlakLanner, 15 August 2017 - 07:57 AM.

Driver - Ping G 10.5*
3w - Ping G
Ball - Volvik S3

#18 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostBlakLanner, on 15 August 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

View PostDuke of Hazards, on 11 August 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

That is exactly what I was meaning.  If you want to use the LINK and leave the phone elsewhere, you will need a laser if you want to measure distances.

Yes, correct.  Or you have a dedicated GPS device (watch, golfbuddy, etc) that doesn't require the phone GPS data.

Edited by Duke of Hazards, 16 August 2017 - 01:00 PM.

#19 jasonp87

jasonp87

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

I have been a long time user of golfpad premium and recently got tags with link as i had an iphone. I recently switched to android lg g6 and still use the link fkr ease of tagging and saving phone battery.

My next investment is a watch but i wont use it for much else other then golfpad. Ive heard the pebble and pebble 2 are great with android and inexpensive. But will they still work in the future since fitbit boight them out. Sorry im not super techy with smart watches.

If not can anyone recommend a different model at a similar price point compatible with android
Driver-----Callaway Epic SZ (9.0*) Fujikura Pro 62 S 45.25"
3W---------Cobra King F6 3/4W (14.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 75 S 42.65"
5W---------Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5W (17.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
3H---------Cobra King F6 3/4H (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.5"
Irons-------Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW C Taper S
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) C Taper S/KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter------Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" SS Midslim 2.0
Golf Ball--Pro V1, ProV1x, Z Star, B300RX
Clubs TLT'D @ Dans Custom Golf

#20 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

View Postjasonp87, on 18 August 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

I have been a long time user of golfpad premium and recently got tags with link as i had an iphone. I recently switched to android lg g6 and still use the link fkr ease of tagging and saving phone battery.

My next investment is a watch but i wont use it for much else other then golfpad. Ive heard the pebble and pebble 2 are great with android and inexpensive. But will they still work in the future since fitbit boight them out. Sorry im not super techy with smart watches.

If not can anyone recommend a different model at a similar price point compatible with android

I have a Pebble Time Round.   It works great.   I bought a used one for $57 on ebay.   The apps and programs that link the phone and the watch are already created and hosted on the internet.  I'm not super techy either, but I think it will 'work' indefinitely, as there is really no reason to 'remove' the apps from the internet.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 jasonp87

jasonp87

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Yah i think im gonna get a pebble or a samsung gear fit 2 or s2. Or maybe an asus zenwatch 2 or lg g. Suggestions
Driver-----Callaway Epic SZ (9.0*) Fujikura Pro 62 S 45.25"
3W---------Cobra King F6 3/4W (14.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 75 S 42.65"
5W---------Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5W (17.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
3H---------Cobra King F6 3/4H (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.5"
Irons-------Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW C Taper S
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) C Taper S/KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter------Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" SS Midslim 2.0
Golf Ball--Pro V1, ProV1x, Z Star, B300RX
Clubs TLT'D @ Dans Custom Golf

#22 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138830
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

I've been using Tags with Android for about a year now and really enjoy them.  Only complaint is I've had 3 die and 1 completely separate, but they've been quickly replaced for free every time.  

As a heads up to anyone looking to add a watch on the cheap, the Magellan Echo can be had in the $15-20 range on eBay and is Gold Pad compatible.  I picked one up after losing my LG G Watch somewhere between clubhouse and home and it's been a solid replacement and well worth the minimal cost.
Cobra King F7 Driver 10.5* | Matrix 60Q4 Red Tie S
Cobra King F7 3/4w 14.5* | Matrix 65Q4 Red Tie R
Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* | Aldila Tour Blue 75 R
Cobra King F7 4/5h 22* | Matrix VLCT Altus R
Cobra Fly-Z+ Forged 5-Pw | TT Dynalite Gold XP R300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 2-Dot 51* | TT DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 3-Dot RTG 55* | TT DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wide RTG 60* | TT DG Wedge
Odyssey Tank #7 | 35" Counterbalance

#23 AndyLL

AndyLL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261312
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:AspenLF
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

IsleOfMan, on 21 August 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

I've been using Tags with Android for about a year now and really enjoy them.  Only complaint is I've had 3 die and 1 completely separate, but they've been quickly replaced for free every time.  

As a heads up to anyone looking to add a watch on the cheap, the Magellan Echo can be had in the $15-20 range on eBay and is Gold Pad compatible.  I picked one up after losing my LG G Watch somewhere between clubhouse and home and it's been a solid replacement and well worth the minimal cost.

I've been using the Magellan Echo with my tags also for the last few years.  Only use it for golf and it works fine.

#24 TJSlayer

TJSlayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

Well I have decided to stick with my watch and phone, don't get me wrong the tags are working really well since the last update but I find it easier just to use my watch. It may be because I have been doing it for so long with the watch, but I haven't had a battery issue sine the latest IOS updates so I'm happy to just stick with that. Did a tournament this weekend and wasn't allowed to use tags without explaining a bunch so just used my watch and was happy with just that....

So.... if anyone wants to try them I have a full set of tags with one extra (so 16 intact tags) plus one other, that I have snipped the screw off and used double sided adhesive tape so that I can attach to my counter balanced putter (so 17 tags in total) plus updated link system with cable and one code for one full year of full membership (Already a premium member so never used the code)

I'm thinking I will pass it on for $135 CAN or $110 US, which is more than 50% less than what it sells for now, and also a lot less than I paid with the extra tags and shipping, even with the kick starter deal.

So if your interested in trying it, you will save big. Will be posting elsewhere as well. Lightly used system

Paypal only. Will ship only to US and Canada.

Cheers

Edited by TJSlayer, 28 August 2017 - 03:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors