Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Directed Force Experience

42 replies to this topic

#1 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1046

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:00 AM

Reading positive reviews of Directed Force putters, the lovable, stable "can opener", I was intrigued and decided to visit Alameda Golfworks, near Oakland, while I was visiting NorCal.

Stepping onto the putting green,  I saw PXG, Bett, Ping, and the usual suspects along with 3 DF putters. One had the traditional T alignment, another a smaller T alignment from earlier versions and another had 3 sightlines along the top. And they had a fitting putter for length and lie. They also had a Revealer, but I did not try it. Had seen enough videos on youtube. I brought my Edel E-1 to compare - a heel shafted mallet.

First, they have changed the color of the head from blue to black and I give it a thumbs up. Stroking a few, I think the anodized coating on the face of the forged aluminum CNC milled putter gives a better feel off the ball than the typical aluminum putter. The DF has a soft feel with auditory feedback that was pleasing. It easily passed the feel/sound test.

The DF was not head heavy, and I asked about added heel/toe weighting, which Shawn Shelby, who owns the shop, said it can go to 365g, but my guess is that it depends on the lie angle as that, and the headweight affect distance control.

The Presse Grip - I did not take to it, but give it a try. It is different, a firm feel and unique shape, and the shaft did not go through the center of the grip. I believe the idea, from youtube vids, is to allow you to grip anywhere on the putter without affecting ball position. The putter and the inset of the shaft itself  brings you to a forward press position without forward pressing. Shawn uses a Golf Pride Tour Snsr Grip, which is heavy at 90g but did not seem oversize (after using superstroke and Rosemark), and I eventually began making most putts with the Tour Snsr... so I stayed with what worked.

Rolling the DF, I did not notice the can opener shape as I was focused before the putt on the front of the putter for alignment and then on a dimple on the back of the ball while putting.

I tried all three DF putters - Shawn, the owner, gave me his newish DF at slightly heavier than standard weight with a GP grip with the long T alignment -the vertical line extended from heel to toe with the crossing horizontal line in the middle. After an hour of just settling down after a 4 hr plane ride and adjusting the stroke, I started getting serious. Shawn came over and had me set up to the ball with the fitting putter and measured for length and lie. He watched the stroke several times from the hole to look at the lie angle and adjusted it a couple of times - they are very precise about lie angle. Think at one time he said it was 69.8 degrees. They have a tool to digitally measure lie.

The DF is also set up so that the more upright lie angle you have, the slightly heavier the putter head. Lie angle also has an effect on your path. Distance control is also affected by weight. With the DF, fitting lie angle is critical. When you address the ball, they want the lie angle neutral in terms of the sole sitting on the turf (neither toe nor heel is lifted off the ground).

As to distance control, with putts on the synthetic green, which were 8-15 feet, it was very good - at or just past or in the hole. That's all you can say on a synthetic green. You hope the same results take to the course. After a few minutes, I began canning 3 of 4 putts in a few series. You really do not notice anything mind boggling about the science but on all types of distance putts the head seems very stable BUT not heavy (which I liked).

Because I am an Edel guy and have learned about aim and the many factors that affect aim, I did notice that my alignment with the standard T line had me aiming the center shafted mallet slightly to the left, anywhere from an inch left to 3 inches left. I aimed inconsistently with the 3 vertical lines on top. The variation was probably due to my guessing at aim. I said, "Why don't we try the fitting putter with the small T alignment and see if less of a vertical line affects my aim." It was my guess that it would affect aim because sightlines typically point you left of your target and my Edel had no sightlines. Every putter is different and you've got to experiment with aim. Usually, I will use a SeeMore Triangulator ($10 from SeeMore)  as a low tech aiming tester but had left it at home.

I should point out that DF does not use painted sightlines - the sightlines are the aluminum showing after the drilling/milling.

I put down another 8 balls with the original small T alignment at various places and had Shawn check aim. It worked - aim time was quicker and accurate - at the hole. Surprised both of us. Since the manufacturing is now in Reno, Shawn said he would talk with the manufacturer about the custom alignment, but it might take longer. Standard turnaround for custom is about 2 weeks, so it may take another week.

In sum, I rolled the DF consistently after an adjustment period, and the putter head was not distracting to me. Rolled it better than my gamer Edel on a practice green. I am looking for more stability on short putts and consistency, and the science says the DF will fit my needs. I want to use my big muscles - shoulders - during the stroke, not the small muscles, and the DF is made for such needs.

Shawn games the DF and said the only adjustment he made was moving the ball more towards the front of his stance whereas previously he was more of a middle ball position guy. I've always placed the ball after the lowest point of the stroke which makes the ball position forward.

If you look at youtube, you will see a series of DF drills showing how to use the hole in the back of the putter and where to position the putter/ball at address.

I appreciate Shawn Shelby at Alameda Golfworks taking the time with me to fit the putter for lie, length, and alm. Hope this helps - looking forward to receiving the DF towards the end of this month, and I will post more after receiving the DF.

Edited by SwingMan, 21 July 2017 - 09:59 AM.

"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Golf Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Rogue 4, 5 wd/GD AD F 55/65, ● TE Exotics EX10 GD ADHY 65 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-PW/Mitsu OT 75,  Miura Y Grind 50, K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno ● Callaway CS  ● Cart: Stewart Golf RS-1; Irons/Wedges built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 LoveSick666

LoveSick666

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99016
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:04 AM

Really glad to hear Shawn took such great care if you. Wish i could've been there to meet with you but you were in very good hands! Definitely want to hear how it works out for you once you get it and get some practice and rounds in with it! I know Shawn appreciates the kind words and for coming by his shop while in the area.

#3 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

I love my DF putter.  I'm putting really well with it this summer.

#4 hardpan1

hardpan1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141991
  • Handicap:3/4
  • Ebay ID:hardpan
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

BigEx44, on 21 July 2017 - 04:22 AM, said:

I love my DF putter.  I'm putting really well with it this summer.

Big E,  my little plan for our course to become a Fitting Location has become a reality and we received 2 demo and 1 fitting putter today....guess I can't be considered an unbiased (soon to be) user as we will be selling them...now to get one for Me in a side saddle version :) ...so for Dallas wrxers, it's Luna Vista GC (old LB Houston) south of I635 and Luna Rd.  This thing is very stable and smooth, everything I was hoping for, yehaw!

#5 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

We are the Old Dark Navy Blues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44148
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

Nice writeup of your experience. Yeah, if they had a larger green, you'll probably see and experience the benefit of the lie balance - damn thing is so accurate for those longer putts. I never thought much about it until I got this putter, the longer the putt, the more the face is off, the bigger the miss. This putter is like a sniper rifle. Seriously.

One thing though, while the sight lines are alu, in use and under the right sun conditions, it does reflect back at your eyes. While you're not blinded, it does suck and in someways, I wished it were painted instead.

As well, the whole putter is designed to be PURE stealth, great and all your focus is on the sight line and the target point. No busy graphics anywhere, not on the grip, no shaft labels, great thinking.

Ping G400 Max 9°, Fujikura Black ATMOS Tour Spec 6-S, Grip Master Kangaroo grip, 44" D3
Callaway Epic GBB 8° draw bias, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, finished length 44"

Mizuno FliHI 2 iron bent 1* strong, C-Taper Lite
Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105  with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
Cleveland RTX 3.0 Cavity Back 50* and 52* wedges
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
Directed Force  Reno 2.0 Putter 34"

Ball: Srixon XV
Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!

#6 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

SwingBlues, on 25 July 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Nice writeup of your experience. Yeah, if they had a larger green, you'll probably see and experience the benefit of the lie balance - damn thing is so accurate for those longer putts. I never thought much about it until I got this putter, the longer the putt, the more the face is off, the bigger the miss. This putter is like a sniper rifle. Seriously.

One thing though, while the sight lines are alu, in use and under the right sun conditions, it does reflect back at your eyes. While you're not blinded, it does suck and in someways, I wished it were painted instead.

As well, the whole putter is designed to be PURE stealth, great and all your focus is on the sight line and the target point. No busy graphics anywhere, not on the grip, no shaft labels, great thinking.

Absolutely.  I've made more long putts with the DF putter over the last month than I had made in the previous 2 years.  A great putter.

#7 * J Y *

* J Y *

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411614
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

Will be curious to see your findings. I'm an edel guy too but the df has my attention.

#8 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

* J Y *, on 26 July 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

Will be curious to see your findings. I'm an edel guy too but the df has my attention.

Update - after 40 days (special order), the DF is scheduled for delivery this week.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Golf Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Rogue 4, 5 wd/GD AD F 55/65, ● TE Exotics EX10 GD ADHY 65 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-PW/Mitsu OT 75,  Miura Y Grind 50, K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno ● Callaway CS  ● Cart: Stewart Golf RS-1; Irons/Wedges built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

#9 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Beauty or Beast?

Depends on the high percentage of putts it makes.

"It" has arrived.

(nevermind the back, it's a training aid)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0568.jpg

Edited by SwingMan, 25 August 2017 - 02:07 AM.

#10 LoveSick666

LoveSick666

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

Glad to see you got it in hand! Look forward to hearing how it works out for ya!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

LoveSick666, on 24 August 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

Glad to see you got it in hand! Look forward to hearing how it works out for ya!

Appreciate it. You will notice that with the special order T Alignment, it is not milled but a painted T line. Did not expect that but it may help. If I want to refine alignment, I can cover or lengthen the line as needed. Took it out last night and weight is fine. It is one of a few putters that twirls freely like a propeller in your hands. Feel is excellent - has some type of face material that has a more lively feel (has sound) than expected, which is what I want. I see less twisting and you can relax your hands more if you want. Don't notice the shape during the putt. It is an adjustment. But after 20 minutes, I saw progress in the initial adjustments to the putter. Looking forward to more green time.

Edited by SwingMan, 25 August 2017 - 08:07 AM.

#12 robbohank

robbohank

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37550
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

SwingMan, on 25 August 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Appreciate it. You will notice that with the special order T Alignment, it is not milled but a painted T line. Did not expect that but it may help. If I want to refine alignment, I can cover or lengthen the line as needed. Took it out last night and weight is fine. It is one of a few putters that twirls freely like a propeller in your hands. Feel is excellent - has some type of face material that has a more lively feel (has sound) than expected, which is what I want. I see less twisting and you can relax your hands more if you want. Don't notice the shape during the putt. It is an adjustment. But after 20 minutes, I saw progress in the initial adjustments to the putter. Looking forward to more green time.

Swingman - anxious to hear about your on-course experience with the DF. I've been giving it some serious thought for a while now as the technology is very intriguing and some of the feedback from users is quite compelling. My putting is average at best and at times I fight a small "flinch" that a lie-angle balanced putter might help with. The lack of being able to demo one has probably help me back as much as anything so I find personal reviews helpful.

The shape doesn't bother me as I don't see it being any more gaudy than some Amazing Grace or Futura models I've used. I REALLY like the smaller cross-hairs you had put on yours. Curious as to the upcharge for that as I think I'd want to go that route. I prefer site dots and find big alignment lines distracting.

I also think Monte may be correct when he says it's a good training putter to go back to if it doesn't make it into the bag full-time.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after some real-life testing!

Rob

#13 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

robbohank, on 26 August 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Swingman - anxious to hear about your on-course experience with the DF. I've been giving it some serious thought for a while now as the technology is very intriguing and some of the feedback from users is quite compelling. My putting is average at best and at times I fight a small "flinch" that a lie-angle balanced putter might help with. The lack of being able to demo one has probably help me back as much as anything so I find personal reviews helpful.

The shape doesn't bother me as I don't see it being any more gaudy than some Amazing Grace or Futura models I've used. I REALLY like the smaller cross-hairs you had put on yours. Curious as to the upcharge for that as I think I'd want to go that route. I prefer site dots and find big alignment lines distracting.

I also think Monte may be correct when he says it's a good training putter to go back to if it doesn't make it into the bag full-time.

Rob

No upcharge on the painted sightline - the good thing is that it's easier to cover or expand the painted line as much as you want if it is affecting aim.

First, I want to thank Shawn Shelby at Alameda Golfworks for the excellent fitting and getting me the putter on a timely basis. Appreciate it. If you live in the East Bay or nearby, visit his shop.

I've taken the DF for a ride a couple of times now on the practice green - a bit over an hour altogether. It is an adjustment process. After the first time, I went back to the Presse vids on ball position and saw I had it correct (always been a bit ball forward in stance), but it's always good to see what the engineer says.

I will give you the issues first, then the good stuff. I must add that with any new putter, you have a period of adjustment.

After 2 sessions on the green, I spend a lot of time on aim and this is an adjustment from the Edel, which I found easier. I was slightly right and left - inconsistent for about 30 minutes  on putts of more than 10 feet - some of it was break, some of it was uncertainty. I need to get the SeeMore Triangulator for confirmation of aim. And I am not discounting the fact that the issue may be me - inconsistent ball position or another issue.

EDIT: The issue was me - I needed to move the ball position more forward so it was slightly inside the left heel - the Presse Video on ball position is helpful if you look at his feet and the shaft). It's easier to aim at address if the ball position is correct.

The good stuff.

Weight/balance was excellent - slightly heavier than standard for my lie setup, which I requested. We are not talking a lot of heft here, but it's not light either - with the stability of the putter, you don't need a lot of weight or a lot of grip pressure.

After more experimentation/adjustment --  roll and distance control was superb - at or just past the hole. What I've never experienced with another putter is the superb stability of this putter. I didn't really need to worry about exact mechanics during the swing. On several, I knew it was not my best stroke going back but the putter recovered.

What was most surprising was the very light pressure on the grip I could use going back and my usual practice, is to increase the pressure slightly on the thru stroke so when you made contact, you brought direct energy without twisting to the ball. How the DF frees you up on a real grass green was a revelation. For me, the lack of grip pressure helped keep my athleticism during the stroke, allowing me excellent distance control. With the preferred setup, the ball tracked well.

Of course, one must say this about the DF or any new putter -- I canned several putts up to 25 feet, which was about my max distance last night even while adjusting aim. I found short, breaking putts were easier to make. Don't think I missed one going through my routine. I think less pressure on the grip freed me up to make the putt. Started with a grip pressure of about 1/10 and increased it to 3/10 on the thru stroke.

Most impressed with the balance/weight, stability of the putter, and how it frees you up to make a putt with light grip pressure.

Edited by SwingMan, 30 August 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#14 robbohank

robbohank

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the update Swingman. Going to send in my remote fitting video and see what I spec out at and take the plunge.

#15 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

robbohank, on 29 August 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the update Swingman. Going to send in my remote fitting video and see what I spec out at and take the plunge.

If you want a little extra weight, just ask for a little more within the bounds of your lie angle measurement.

#16 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

Another session with the DF and the issue appears to be ME -- poor ball position. My normal ball position with any putter is forward so that the ball is contacted slightly on the upswing. Any putter is a period of adjustment and this is a different design because the shaft is over an inch behind the face.

Paid more attention to that issue with the DF. Because the shaft is over an inch behind the face one needs to adjust. Noticed the shaft was in the middle of the stance, and I moved it slightly forward, meaning the ball was just inside the front heel (Edit: just as in the Presse video if you look at his feet).

Edited by SwingMan, 30 August 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#17 timmy8151

timmy8151

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95650
  • Handicap:15.2
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

This was posted in another thread but a good video from Bill Presse on ball position with the DF putter

https://youtu.be/WR4v6JcJsdc
Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver 10.5*
Srixon F45 15*
Cobra F7 5W-6W 19.5*
Titleist 816H1 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged GW
Cobra King Pur Wedge 54*
Callaway PM Grind Wedge 58*
Directed Force Reno 2.0

#18 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

timmy8151, on 29 August 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

This was posted in another thread but a good video from Bill Presse on ball position with the DF putter

https://youtu.be/WR4v6JcJsdc

Thx, it looks as if my new ball position is similar to Presse's - just inside front heel.

#19 robbohank

robbohank

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

SwingMan, on 29 August 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

If you want a little extra weight, just ask for a little more within the bounds of your lie angle measurement.

I finalized the remote fitting (69 degrees at 34.5") yesterday and placed an order. Decided to go stock weight and alignment lines. As I mentioned to Bill I'm going to defer to the engineering and assume they got it right after a few years. :)  

I've never been one to make this big an investment in a single club without some testing/trial first but the concept just makes enough sense that I'm willing to take a flyer on it. I haven't made any major purchases in quite a while so that helps with the justification. I'd considered getting my specs and seeing it anything showed up on ebay or the classifieds here but I respect the time/effort/money that innovators put forth and feel like the $100 I might save (for a used and not perfect match) is better served going to the guy who came up with the idea and then had to get it off the ground. That is NOT an easy task.

Thank again for the detailed assessment. I'm looking forward to some equally positive results.

#20 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

robbohank, on 31 August 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

SwingMan, on 29 August 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

I finalized the remote fitting (69 degrees at 34.5") yesterday and placed an order. Decided to go stock weight and alignment lines. As I mentioned to Bill I'm going to defer to the engineering and assume they got it right after a few years. :)  

I've never been one to make this big an investment in a single club without some testing/trial first but the concept just makes enough sense that I'm willing to take a flyer on it. I haven't made any major purchases in quite a while so that helps with the justification. I'd considered getting my specs and seeing it anything showed up on ebay or the classifieds here but I respect the time/effort/money that innovators put forth and feel like the $100 I might save (for a used and not perfect match) is better served going to the guy who came up with the idea and then had to get it off the ground. That is NOT an easy task.

Thank again for the detailed assessment. I'm looking forward to some equally positive results.

I am nothing if not overwhelming with detail. :-)

Congrats.

On the weight, I asked Shawn to tell Bill to keep it within the bounds of my lie angle. On aim and the sightline, you've just got to try it out and see. Most designers just put a sightline on there. After reading and putting with an Edel for 10 years, I know a little. During the fitting, we spent time with it. But one can do the same afterwards with black tape over the sightline as a temporary measure to see what works if aim is an issue. When you've figured out the best T line for your aim, you can always mark out the line with a small line of black tape inserted into the milled section.

Good luck - in a few weeks, you'll have a garden hoe, can opener, and strangers coming up to you and saying "WTF is that?"

I then twirl it like a propeller and they say "OOOOhhh."

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 LoveSick666

LoveSick666

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

I always refer to it as the branding iron lol

#22 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1475

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

Great thread. Looking forward to the in course reviews. Hard to buy what one can't try. No reps around me that I am aware of.
TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G25 5-U
Cleveland RTX 54*
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
PING Ketsch refinished by Continental Golf
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#23 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Cwing, on 31 August 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Great thread. Looking forward to the in course reviews. Hard to buy what one can't try. No reps around me that I am aware of.

None around me, but I went on vacation near a dealer and was fitted. So if you are in NorCal, see Shawn at Alameda Golfworks.

#24 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

How big? Not bad in terms of bag space. I just put it on the side.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0683.jpg

Edited by SwingMan, 02 September 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#25 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1475

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Interesting. Without ever seeing one in person, I expected it to take up more room.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G25 5-U
Cleveland RTX 54*
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
PING Ketsch refinished by Continental Golf
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#26 Directed Force Putters

Directed Force Putters

• Sponsors
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481718
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:directedforceputters
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

SwingMan, on 29 August 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

robbohank, on 26 August 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Rob

No upcharge on the painted sightline - the good thing is that it's easier to cover or expand the painted line as much as you want if it is affecting aim.

First, I want to thank Shawn Shelby at Alameda Golfworks for the excellent fitting and getting me the putter on a timely basis. Appreciate it. If you live in the East Bay or nearby, visit his shop.

I've taken the DF for a ride a couple of times now on the practice green - a bit over an hour altogether. It is an adjustment process. After the first time, I went back to the Presse vids on ball position and saw I had it correct (always been a bit ball forward in stance), but it's always good to see what the engineer says.

I will give you the issues first, then the good stuff. I must add that with any new putter, you have a period of adjustment.

After 2 sessions on the green, I spend a lot of time on aim and this is an adjustment from the Edel, which I found easier. I was slightly right and left - inconsistent for about 30 minutes  on putts of more than 10 feet - some of it was break, some of it was uncertainty. I need to get the SeeMore Triangulator for confirmation of aim. And I am not discounting the fact that the issue may be me - inconsistent ball position or another issue.

EDIT: The issue was me - I needed to move the ball position more forward so it was slightly inside the left heel - the Presse Video on ball position is helpful if you look at his feet and the shaft). It's easier to aim at address if the ball position is correct.

The good stuff.

Weight/balance was excellent - slightly heavier than standard for my lie setup, which I requested. We are not talking a lot of heft here, but it's not light either - with the stability of the putter, you don't need a lot of weight or a lot of grip pressure.

After more experimentation/adjustment --  roll and distance control was superb - at or just past the hole. What I've never experienced with another putter is the superb stability of this putter. I didn't really need to worry about exact mechanics during the swing. On several, I knew it was not my best stroke going back but the putter recovered.

What was most surprising was the very light pressure on the grip I could use going back and my usual practice, is to increase the pressure slightly on the thru stroke so when you made contact, you brought direct energy without twisting to the ball. How the DF frees you up on a real grass green was a revelation. For me, the lack of grip pressure helped keep my athleticism during the stroke, allowing me excellent distance control. With the preferred setup, the ball tracked well.

Of course, one must say this about the DF or any new putter -- I canned several putts up to 25 feet, which was about my max distance last night even while adjusting aim. I found short, breaking putts were easier to make. Don't think I missed one going through my routine. I think less pressure on the grip freed me up to make the putt. Started with a grip pressure of about 1/10 and increased it to 3/10 on the thru stroke.

Most impressed with the balance/weight, stability of the putter, and how it frees you up to make a putt with light grip pressure.

Directed Force Putters
The most important club in your bag just got smarter!

www.directedforce.com

Get fit for your Directed Force putter - DFP Remote Fitting
Search for all Fitting Partners and Locations here - Fitting Partners and Locations

Social Media
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Intstagram
Watch us on YouTube
Follow us on Pinterest

#27 Directed Force Putters

Directed Force Putters

• Sponsors
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481718
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:directedforceputters
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:36 AM

So your the guy that got that putter!!! That's actually a one off 2.1 the T is  lasered on not painted. The laser burns the black type III anodizing and changes it to white oxide one of the hardest and most durable substances known. You can wipe it with acetone or paint thinner all day long and it's never coming off. The face is exactly the same but the 2.1 has a slightly softer tip flex than the 1.0 and a bit less head weighting which provides substantial advantages in distance control. Thanks for the great feedback and continued support of DFP - Bill Presse IV
Directed Force Putters
The most important club in your bag just got smarter!

www.directedforce.com

Get fit for your Directed Force putter - DFP Remote Fitting
Search for all Fitting Partners and Locations here - Fitting Partners and Locations

Social Media
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Intstagram
Watch us on YouTube
Follow us on Pinterest

#28 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

^^^^Thank you, Bill.

And now, a thread update - in October, I began playing 2X per week with consistent playing partners. Sometimes, 27 holes on Saturday, and then 18 on Sunday on two different courses.

The DF continues to impress and gets better the more I play with it. This is definitely a form follows function putter, and I'm good with it. Distance control has improved, and I've sunk a few birds and saved even more pars from 7-25 feet, even a few sliders. Haven't had any big bombs with it, but they are close to the hole. 4-6 footers are working well and I'm saving par or bogey. About twice a round, I'll have an operator error and just knock the crap out of a putt, but that's me, not the putter. During one round, I brought my old putters out, but they did not perform like the DF. My playing partners advised me to put the DF back in the bag. I'm always tinkering and comparing.

WIth the DF. I've found that I can start with a very light grip and tighten it - from a 2/10 to 4/10 on the through stroke, and that helps. During the cold weather snap we're having in DFW, I am changing my address position so I am less upright and am tightening up the stroke so it is not as long. We'll see how that goes. Doing inside work.

Some people downplay the technology as they say torque is not significant with a putter. But the idea is to take the small muscles out of the swing, and it works. It's a forgiving putter, too. I can have a less than perfect backswing, and it does not affect the through stroke negatively. And that's another reason I'm tightening up the stroke - to make it a complete shoulder stroke. I believe the tech works, and it takes time to make the address adjustment in Bill's videos (more forward ball position due to fact that shaft is not in front), and appreciate this putter. Having fun with the DF.

Edited by SwingMan, 02 January 2018 - 01:07 PM.

#29 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

We are the Old Dark Navy Blues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44148
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

Very astute comments, reflective of what I see and feel as well when the DF is in my hands.

I think, unless you have this putter in your hand, it cannot be understood merely reading this on the net or feel its technology. I am super happy with mine, definite improvement and still WOW my foursome with some big putts in the scramble tournaments. Like fine wine, it only gets better, trust me on this one :)
Ping G400 Max 9°, Fujikura Black ATMOS Tour Spec 6-S, Grip Master Kangaroo grip, 44" D3
Callaway Epic GBB 8° draw bias, Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS Tour Spec 6X, finished length 44"

Mizuno FliHI 2 iron bent 1* strong, C-Taper Lite
Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105  with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
Cleveland RTX 3.0 Cavity Back 50* and 52* wedges
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
Directed Force  Reno 2.0 Putter 34"

Ball: Srixon XV
Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!

#30 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

Playing in the Dominican Republic this week at a business meeting, and finished with 32 and 30 putts over the last 2 rounds with the DF - no 3 putts. My longer distance control is improving. Played at Teeth of the Dog - that was fun.

Holed some 10-12 footers, missed the hole by an inch on 4 others. When I miss, it's left. Need to look at my setup.

Edited by SwingMan, 12 January 2018 - 02:54 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors