Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

US Kids Worlds 2017

58 replies to this topic

#1 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Who's Going?

Where are you staying?

What age bracket?

Are you doing the parade?

Do we need to do a WRX meet at the parade and walk together?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Where are you staying?  Condo on one of the courses.

What age bracket?  12 year old

Are you doing the parade?  Yes

Do we need to do a WRX meet at the parade and walk together?  Might be fun.

#3 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Where are you staying?  TBD

What age bracket?  7 year old

Do we need to do a WRX meet at the parade and walk together?  We are meeting 6 or so other kids from California out there, but would definitely like to meet up at some point.

We are playing Mid Pines so will be practicing there Monday/Tues/Wed.

Also, if any of the kids have an IG account feel free to post their handle.

#4 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

kekoa - whats your kids handle? Love to follow.

We are not going this year, but will consider it next year depending on where her game develops at. But am following this to see where people are staying at. Where is everyone staying? Thanks.

#5 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

View Postdarter79, on 18 July 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

kekoa - whats your kids handle? Love to follow.

We are not going this year, but will consider it next year depending on where her game develops at. But am following this to see where people are staying at. Where is everyone staying? Thanks.

@benmatsudagolf

Still a toss up between the Homestead and Mid Pines Inn for us.

#6 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 July 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Who's Going?

Where are you staying?

What age bracket?

Going
9 year olds
Condo on #5 for grandparents and Manor for us
Yes on parade could be fun to meet up briefly

On a side note, I'm pretty worried about caddying 3 straight 18 hole rounds. 😳

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 18 July 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

Who's Going?

Where are you staying?

What age bracket?

Going
9 year olds

On a side note, I'm pretty worried about caddying 3 straight 18 hole rounds. ��

When my daughter started playing tournament golf 5 years ago we made the decision to never rent a cart and ride again.  Playing tournament golf is expensive and cutting out the cart saves at least $20.00 a round.  $20.00 a round X 30 rounds is $600.00 a year.  My wife and I started walking 3-5 miles a day at least 5 days every week.  Saving money and working on the heart.  The only time we rent a cart anymore is when it looks like there may be a lightning storm.  Otherwise we pack a backpack with essentials (food, h2o, sunscreen), turn on the headphones and enjoy the day.

We are on #5 at Prince Manor.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 18 July 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#8 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hey Heavy,

Do the courses out there rent ball tubes or do I need to bring one of my own for short game practice?

#9 ANG

ANG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56932
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Who's Going?

Where are you staying?

What age bracket?

Going
9 year olds

First thing I want to say is I live in Florida and work outside for a living so I'm used to the heat.
I caddied for my son 8 years ago. First day we had an early tee time and it was a beautiful morning and had a great walk.
The second day was an afternoon tee time. First couple of holes were OK, and then it was like the gates of Hell opened up.
I have NEVER felt heat and humidity like that and  there was such little wind you couldn't get a paper airplane to fly.
I drank a bottle of water or Gatorade on every hole and by the 14th I was done. There was a spectator watching our group and he asked  if I wanted him to caddy for my son the rest of the way because it was obvious I was going to die.  I got a marshal to bring me back in thinking that it might scar my son to see me go into cardiac arrest.
Long story short it gets kinda warm there.

Edited by ANG, 18 July 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

View Postkekoa, on 18 July 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

Hey Heavy,

Do the courses out there rent ball tubes or do I need to bring one of my own for short game practice?

I have no idea.

I don't know if you received the email yet, but they are doing some changes to the practice facilities.  You need to make sure you will be good to go for your course and not need to go somewhere else.  

They have 1000's and 1000's of balls with PVC push retrievers at the main practice facility at the resort.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostANG, on 18 July 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Who's Going?

Where are you staying?

What age bracket?

Going
9 year olds

First thing I want to say is I live in Florida and work outside for a living so I'm used to the heat.
I caddied for my son 8 years ago. First day we had an early tee time and it was a beautiful morning and had a great walk.
The second day was an afternoon tee time. First couple of holes were OK, and then it was like the gates of Hell opened up.
I have NEVER felt heat and humidity like that and  there was such little wind you couldn't get a paper airplane to fly.
I drank a bottle of water or Gatorade on every hole and by the 14th I was done. There was a spectator watching our group and he asked  if I wanted him to caddy for my son the rest of the way because it was obvious I was going to die.  I got a marshal to bring me back in thinking that it might scar my son to see me go into cardiac arrest.
Long story short it gets kinda warm there.

First off..thank you for this story.  I need a good laugh today.  I have been in the same situation. One of the first times I caddied for my son in an 18 hole event, it was called after the first 9 holes due to weather.  Thank god because there was no way in hell I was going to make it another 9 holes.  I am a decently fit person but I was hurting after that first 9.

Who's Going? We are going

Where are you staying? In a condo nearby

What age bracket? 10

Are you doing the parade? No but it looks like fun

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

Just as a heads up to everyone going.  I was checking the weather for Pinehurst this morning.  Heat Index is up to 107* in the afternoons.  There has been heat advisories for Pinehurst.  You can't start hydrating for the tournament when you get there.  You have to start hydrating several days before you leave.  Pump your kids full of water.  No Carbonated Beverages, No Gatorade, No Juices.  Attach a hose to the faucet and make them drink.  If they aren't asking to pee every hour on your trip, they probably aren't drinking enough.

#13 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433258
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

Question: I am wondering if we ship our clicgear push cart or rent one at the course? Any recommendations and/or experience to share?

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Postgolfer55082, on 21 July 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Question: I am wondering if we ship our clicgear push cart or rent one at the course? Any recommendations and/or experience to share?

Pretty Sure they do not rent at Pinehurst Resort.  My daughter has played at the North South held there and they do not let the kids for that tournament to push at all.  I think it may be a special exception for the US Kids tournament.  I could be wrong, but I know for a fact they don't allow them for the North South.

#15 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 21 July 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Just as a heads up to everyone going.  I was checking the weather for Pinehurst this morning.  Heat Index is up to 107* in the afternoons.  There has been heat advisories for Pinehurst.  You can't start hydrating for the tournament when you get there.  You have to start hydrating several days before you leave.  Pump your kids full of water.  No Carbonated Beverages, No Gatorade, No Juices.  Attach a hose to the faucet and make them drink.  If they aren't asking to pee every hour on your trip, they probably aren't drinking enough.

Yikes. this whole heat/humidity issue is going to be a huge challenge for us.  Thanks for the advise as my son and I aren't used to these types of conditions at all.

#16 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

View Postkekoa, on 21 July 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Yikes. this whole heat/humidity issue is going to be a huge challenge for us.  Thanks for the advise as my son and I aren't used to these types of conditions at all.

It isn't supposed to be as bad during the week of the Championship.  It is still the weather and the weathermen only get it right sometimes.  Dealing with heat and humidity is really tough when you aren't used to it.  It can zap your energy in a heart beat.  Not just the kids, but the caddies as well.  Hydrate and stay hydrated.  Heat related illnesses are miserable.  I have had heat exhaustion.  Nausea, dry heaves, can't sweat, headache, can make you go unconscious.  Water Water Water.  Have Cool Towels with you.  Bring a spare one so you can rotate them.

#17 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 21 July 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Pretty Sure they do not rent at Pinehurst Resort.  My daughter has played at the North South held there and they do not let the kids for that tournament to push at all.  I think it may be a special exception for the US Kids tournament.  I could be wrong, but I know for a fact they don't allow them for the North South.

Push carts are allowed for the US Kids tournament.  I know Mid Pines has some for rent at $15 a day.  I'd rather not take the chance so will be lugging the clicgear along.  Plus you never know if the rental have the umbrella holder and seat so it's not worth the risk.

#18 ANG

ANG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56932
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

Besides the obvious of drinking a ton of water and especially the day before. Take a cooler with you loaded with ice and put a couple of small towels in it. Keep one of the towels wrapped around your neck, specifically around your carotid arteries. Change the towels every couple of holes. They work much better than the towels that are supposed to stay cool. Keeping the blood flow cool will be make a world of difference. Also again drink as much as possible. I went to a seminar once and one the topics was dehydration. It was said that if you aren't urinating at least once every 9 holes, no matter how much you're sweating, you're not drinking enough.

Edited by ANG, 22 July 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#19 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostANG, on 22 July 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

Besides the obvious of drinking a ton of water and especially the day before. Take a cooler with you loaded with ice and put a couple of small towels in it. Keep one of the towels wrapped around your neck, specifically around your carotid arteries. Change the towels every couple of holes. They work much better than the towels that are supposed to stay cool. Keeping the blood flow cool will be make a world of difference. Also again drink as much as possible. I went to a seminar once and one the topics was dehydration. It was said that if you aren't urinating at least once every 9 holes, no matter how much you're sweating, you're not drinking enough.

Dead serious when I say this.  My kid urinates about every three holes.  I know it is a good thing, but man it gets annoying trying to find trees or shrubs on certain courses.

#20 Bertsy20

Bertsy20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473086
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 21 July 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Bertsy20

Bertsy20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473086
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

My son is in the 10 year old age group. This will be our third worlds.  I am not sure about the whole rental thing but do recommend bringing the clicgear....and all the accessories you have. They tend to be long rounds and carrying a bag could be an issue for you throughout the 18 holes. We use the seat during down moments and the umbrella for shade. It never fails that rain happens during the rounds. I would recommend buying the clicgear bag cover too. It's not too expensive and it'll cover the bag and provide some added resistance when the rains come. But if you have the clicgear, I would bring it.

#22 bwbw

bwbw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470266
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

Who's Going?  We are

Where are you staying?  Quality Inn near Southern Pines (more on this in a minute)

What age bracket?  Girls 11

Do we need to do a WRX meet at the parade and walk together?  I'll be with my daughter and her close friend who is also playing.

-----------

This past week we got an email that the course my daughter is playing on, Southern Pines, is now closed.  We booked our hotel where we did because it was very close to the course (and it had a pool, a must for my kids).  Where the tournament is now is nearly 30 minutes away on the west side of the area.  Unfortunately, no hotels around (especially any left).  The course looks really nice from the pictures though.

#23 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

For those going to the parade, how will we recognize each other?  I think you guys know what my son looks like so look out for us.

#24 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

My son and I will more than likely be sporting Wilson Staff hats.  My son will probably be wearing a navy under armour shirt with khaki under armour shorts.  He wears the same outfit 5 days a week.  LOL....  we call it his signature outfit.  People think we are poor because every picture and video is in the same exact outfit.  His middle school has a dress code and he wears the same outfit o school 5 days a week.  Sometimes we might get a red shirt, dark green, or carolina blue but that is once in a blue moon.

#25 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

Wait does he have 5 of the same outfits or do you just recycle the same one.? ��

#26 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

My son will likely be one of only a few representing OGA.  We just won a contest recently to receive every hat they make for a whole year.

Attached File  FullSizeRender.jpg   246.48K   9 downloads

#27 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

Didnt see anyone at the parade. I want to wish all the players and caddies the best tomorrow.

#28 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

View Postkekoa, on 02 August 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

Didnt see anyone at the parade. I want to wish all the players and caddies the best tomorrow.

Dude, HH was right behind you if you were in with the California group.

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 August 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is what makes the World Championships so cool.

#29 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

Good luck to everyone.

I did meet golf????  (I can never get his username correct) from here.  He and his son were very nice people.  

#30 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

This is our crew from Cali. I looked for HH but honestly I was dripping sweat since my 3 year old made me carry her the whole parade :(

Attached File  A6AE1C78-FBF0-4FD3-A7F2-1B04B363D7D8.jpg   171.89K   11 downloads

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors