Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Drive, Chip & Put

90 replies to this topic

#91 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostYelwar, on 27 June 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

My two kids did our local earlier this month.  My son (10, competitive golfer) has advanced 2/3 years he has done DCP but neither time advanced past the 2nd round.  My daughter (8, doesn't really practice golf) was competing for her 2nd time.  When asked if she wanted to practice her response was "I should probably practice chipping.  My driving is really good though, as long as I don't miss the ball"  Definitely low expectations.

My son drives the ball pretty far for his age, and I think he wanted to show off, so he proceeded to get 0 points on drive.  Then his chipping was avg, and his putting poor.  Not typical of his ability but that's how it can go when hitting 9 shots.  Didn't place in any discipline.  

My daughter got all 3 drives in the grid, got 2 chips (one of which was skulled and rolled up on the green) close to the hole.  She made the first putt, got the second close (left it a little short) and completely blasted the third off the green (made up for leaving second short I guess).  Placed in each discipline and 2nd overall advancing.

So the point of sharing my experience is I think it is a good low key event for kids of all skill types to compete in.  It is free for the kids and they usually give them a nice gift.  But certainly don't take it too seriously as it does require some luck and it is worth remembering that when you are considering whether to take a kid hours away to compete in the next level.

What a roller coaster of a story!  Great to hear it happens to everyone.  Thanks for sharing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors