Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Drive, Chip & Put

34 replies to this topic

#31 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 17 August 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 15 August 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta  :).   Im super stoked and proud of him.

That's awesome.  My son made it to regionals as well.  We'll be at Carlton Woods.  Funny thing, My son has an April birthday, which makes him pretty young in almost all competitive golf situations.  However, the DCP cutoff is age as of 4/1/2018.  Well, my son turns 10 on 4/3/2018, so he is basically the oldest kid in the 7-9 division.

Did you get your e-mail today?  

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited about the Regional qualifier.  This is his first go at DPC so I'm a bit surprised he even made it this far.   My kid will be one of the youngest there so the odds are against us.   I know a few of the kids who will be at our Regional and most of these kids are very very good players.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 September 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta  :).   Im super stoked and proud of him.

That's awesome.  My son made it to regionals as well.  We'll be at Carlton Woods.  Funny thing, My son has an April birthday, which makes him pretty young in almost all competitive golf situations.  However, the DCP cutoff is age as of 4/1/2018.  Well, my son turns 10 on 4/3/2018, so he is basically the oldest kid in the 7-9 division.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited about the Regional qualifier.  This is his first go at DPC so I'm a bit surprised he even made it this far.   My kid will be one of the youngest there so the odds are against us.   I know a few of the kids who will be at our Regional and most of these kids are very very good players.

Congrats it sounds like a blast if you can make it all the way. I still have very mixed feelings about drive chip and putt. For the most part it a fun ride for the winners but it really more luck then skill at the younger ages. It really a different game to win then actual golf.

If they miss one putt or chip it is pretty much over with no chance to recover.  Even worse is to see them do a long drive but not count because it is out of bounds and lose to someone who is 100 yards less.

Edited by tiger1873, 06 September 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#33 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 06 September 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Congrats it sounds like a blast if you can make it all the way. I still have very mixed feelings about drive chip and putt. For the most part it a fun ride for the winners but it really more luck then skill at the younger ages. It really a different game to win then actual golf.

If they miss one putt or chip it is pretty much over with no chance to recover.  Even worse is to see them do a long drive but not count because it is out of bounds and lose to someone who is 100 yards less.

I agree.   A lot of luck is involved...just like in real golf.  I do think that once you reach regionals, most of the kids can actually play.  I also know really good golfers who got knocked out on the first round.  
Regardless, it will be fun to visit Torrey Pines. :)

#34 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 September 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

I agree.   A lot of luck is involved...just like in real golf.  I do think that once you reach regionals, most of the kids can actually play.  I also know really good golfers who got knocked out on the first round.  
Regardless, it will be fun to visit Torrey Pines. :)

What day/time is that regional?  We're thinking of stopping by to cheer you guys on.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#35 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

I did. Worked out well for us. My class reunion is next weekend and was gonna have to miss. I'm fine with the October date. I honestly thought they would've tried to protect the date and consider moving it to Dallas or something. In any event, worked out for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors