Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best place to live, work and golf?

200 replies to this topic

#61 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostHilltopper413, on 12 July 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

This might be scoffed at by some, but I believe the "upper south" is a fantastic place to live.  Specifically, Louisville and Nashville. Both cities are great places to live and work.  Cost of living is low compared to other similar cities in different parts of the country.  You get to experience a climate that has all four seasons.  Both cities are growing at a high rate.  Great places to locate a business with quick access to the majority of the population in the country.  Both have out of this world food scenes.  Plus you get a little bit of charm in both places.

I believe the private golf scene in Louisville is fantastic. They have that "known" private in Valhalla, but the plethora of other private options across all budget levels is really the draw.  Louisville has in the ball park of 20ish private clubs. The low cost of living makes most of them affordable compared to other cities.  Most of those are really top notch club's, with excellent conditioning and amenities.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better collection of affordable, private clubs anywhere.

The Nashville area does not have as many private options, but the ones that are there are top notch.  A better public scene too.

I think you'd be surprised at how far your money can stretch in these towns versus California.  You wil have a larger house, more amenities, and a top notch club membership that you would not have in Cali. or some other places in the country.

Can't beat the Nashville nightlife lol

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

View Postduffer987, on 12 July 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

View Postrblmp32, on 12 July 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

View Postsharkiesj, on 11 July 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

You're moving for all  the wrong reasons.  You're moving because you want more.  You want less traffic, less taxes, better schools, a bigger house and property, etc.  The only place that exists that's fits your bill is Alaska and the last time I checked, you can't swing very well when grizzly bears are in your backswing.   And that's in the springtime!! And I haven't even mentioned the polar bears!!!!!!!  Again, don't you know how good you have it right now? Much better sitting in traffic on the 91 vs. scurrying down to the basement because Hurricane JonesScott is fast approaching.   You got it good son, reaaaaaaaaal gooooooooood.

Lets be honest though.  SoCal is stunning from a weather standpoint.  Nothing better in the USA.  But your traffic is horrid (at least in the more heavily populated areas).  Your taxes suck.  Your housing is stupid expensive. (I've been offered several jobs in SoCal and San Fran lately, so I've done the homework on cost of living and taxes compared to other areas in the US)  And you have these things where the whole frigging earth shakes and moves.  I'd rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake any day, see we know when a hurricane is coming and can just evacuate and let your insurance sort out the mess if need be.  

My point is, alot of places fit the bill he's describing.  To me, it seems as though you have made the exact sort of compromises you're cautioning him against.  You put up with the crappy traffic, high taxes, high price of real estate, and earthquakes in exchange for amazing weather, great golf, great schools, etc.  No place is perfect.  You just have to find the right balance of what you want vs what a place offers.

LOL! If you are going to use the threat of earthquakes, you might as well use the thread of buses to not live anywhere with roads or falling trees to not live anywhere near a forest ;) You're waaaaaay more likely to be hurt by those.

Yes, I'm well aware.  The point was that hurricanes are just as silly a reason to choose to not live somewhere.  They don't impact life here except in rare occasions.  Much like earthquakes.  :)

#63 mneumann

mneumann

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94024
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:ninerzfan8
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

We are in a very similar situation as you.

I went from so cal to the bay area and met my wife. We ended up moving to the sacramento suburbs which is much better than the bay area for now. However taxes too high, everything too expensive and continuing to overcrowd, and even as what I'd consider moderate ideologically I feel like this state will either bankrupt us or chase us out in the next 30 years.

Before we came to sac we visited and pretty much crossed off Portland (too wet for year round golf), Seattle (too expensive), AZ (too hot), Denver (felt overcrowded and felt like we missed the boat on the low prices there already).

Next on the list to check out is Boise and salt lake so glad to see people suggesting those hete. We would love to go check out the carolinas but parents are bay area and Phoenix and we don't want to take the grandkids away.

Let us all know if you visit somewhere great.

#64 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2561

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

View Postmneumann, on 12 July 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

We are in a very similar situation as you.

I went from so cal to the bay area and met my wife. We ended up moving to the sacramento suburbs which is much better than the bay area for now. However taxes too high, everything too expensive and continuing to overcrowd, and even as what I'd consider moderate ideologically I feel like this state will either bankrupt us or chase us out in the next 30 years.

Before we came to sac we visited and pretty much crossed off Portland (too wet for year round golf), Seattle (too expensive), AZ (too hot), Denver (felt overcrowded and felt like we missed the boat on the low prices there already).

Next on the list to check out is Boise and salt lake so glad to see people suggesting those hete. We would love to go check out the carolinas but parents are bay area and Phoenix and we don't want to take the grandkids away.

Let us all know if you visit somewhere great.

The AZ being too hot comment always cracks me up... my buddy who lives in SF couldn't wrap his brain around why I would want to live in Phoenix and he still doesn't believe me when I tell him it not 100* year round.  Phoenix is downright, brutally, hot 3 months of the year.  There is a month or so of kind shoulder season and then it's 8 months of fantastic.  But in those summer months (like right now) you can still easily play golf, hike and be outside.. you just have to adjust your hours.  Tee off no later than 730 and you're good.  But then again, some people can't take the 3 months of bad.  Same with winter.  I moved out of Ohio because I was done with the winter and the 6 months of grey skies.

I caution against SLC.  Culturally, it is a bit of a different animal and isn't for everyone.  A couple of our best friends moved there just about the same time we moved to Phoenix.  They spent a few months in SLC and hated just about everything about it.  They ended up breaking their lease and buying a place in Park City.  One works from home and the other travels in to SLC a few days a week for her job.  They love living in the mountains but overall have had a pretty bad experience.  They are in the process of moving back to Ohio.

Edited by SilverBullets, 12 July 2017 - 01:29 PM.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

#65 Bramsuer10

Bramsuer10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382978
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'm from VA but I think NC is ideal for weather, jobs, courses.

#66 tw422

tw422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187228
  • Ebay ID:tw422
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostBreak81, on 11 July 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

View Postbigchucksr, on 11 July 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I suggest looking at Idaho--especially the Boise/Meridian area.  Socially, politically, and culturally, living in Idaho is like living in the 50's with all the modern amenities to make things more efficient.
We are getting lots of California  cultural refugees here
  I have a childhood friend who recently moved to Star, ID and loves it. Very nice homes in the $250-$300K range.  He claims it doesn't get that cold in the winter as he thought but he only got there on the back end of last winter so maybe it varies by year.

i recently moved from Phila PA to CA.  here's my thought - having come to CA from the cold and humidity you should experience that first before you make a decision.  Have you lived anywhere other than CA?  Anywhere on the East Coast that's worth living is going to be expensive, cold and hot/humid.  If you've never experienced a true East Coast winter or summer it will shock your system.  I've not spent much time in TX but I've lived worked in MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY and FL.  Beaches are great and there are great golf courses in all of these states but its $$$$ and your golf season is about 4-6 months.

#67 bradski

bradski

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

I grew up in San Jose,  moved to Seattle for 13 years and then San Diego for the last 7 years.    Last year we moved to Salt lake county Utah and I will be here for at least 10 years to raise my kids.   The Golf is very affordable and there are some top notch courses.   My house is over 3 times the size as my last one and cost less, power bills are less,  property tax is less, gas is less,   everything cost less.  It is a great place to raise a family and a big enough city that there isn't much you miss.  2nd half of December through the first half of Feb you wont golf.   I setup a skytrak room and that gets me by for the 3 months.  

We looked at most other locations in the Western States as I can work anywhere.  I wouldn't live anywhere else right now.

Most Public golf courses are between $35- 50 per round and annual passes are between $800-$1500.    Utah doesn't use golfnow but teeoff is ok here and we get rounds from $25-$35.

#68 stachoaj

stachoaj

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415158
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:lefty48a
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

View Postrblmp32, on 12 July 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

View Postsharkiesj, on 11 July 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

You're moving for all  the wrong reasons.  You're moving because you want more.  You want less traffic, less taxes, better schools, a bigger house and property, etc.  The only place that exists that's fits your bill is Alaska and the last time I checked, you can't swing very well when grizzly bears are in your backswing.   And that's in the springtime!! And I haven't even mentioned the polar bears!!!!!!!  Again, don't you know how good you have it right now? Much better sitting in traffic on the 91 vs. scurrying down to the basement because Hurricane JonesScott is fast approaching.   You got it good son, reaaaaaaaaal gooooooooood.

Lets be honest though.  SoCal is stunning from a weather standpoint.  Nothing better in the USA.  But your traffic is horrid (at least in the more heavily populated areas).  Your taxes suck.  Your housing is stupid expensive. (I've been offered several jobs in SoCal and San Fran lately, so I've done the homework on cost of living and taxes compared to other areas in the US)  And you have these things where the whole frigging earth shakes and moves.  I'd rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake any day, see we know when a hurricane is coming and can just evacuate and let your insurance sort out the mess if need be.  

My point is, alot of places fit the bill he's describing.  To me, it seems as though you have made the exact sort of compromises you're cautioning him against.  You put up with the crappy traffic, high taxes, high price of real estate, and earthquakes in exchange for amazing weather, great golf, great schools, etc.  No place is perfect.  You just have to find the right balance of what you want vs what a place offers.

I'm pretty sure that post was chalk full of sarcasm lol

#69 jjthomp2

jjthomp2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87698
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:jjthomp2
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

This might be scoffed at by some, but I believe the "upper south" is a fantastic place to live.  Specifically, Louisville and Nashville. Both cities are great places to live and work.  Cost of living is low compared to other similar cities in different parts of the country.  You get to experience a climate that has all four seasons.  Both cities are growing at a high rate.  Great places to locate a business with quick access to the majority of the population in the country.  Both have out of this world food scenes.  Plus you get a little bit of charm in both places.

I believe the private golf scene in Louisville is fantastic. They have that "known" private in Valhalla, but the plethora of other private options across all budget levels is really the draw.  Louisville has in the ball park of 20ish private clubs. The low cost of living makes most of them affordable compared to other cities.  Most of those are really top notch club's, with excellent conditioning and amenities.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better collection of affordable, private clubs anywhere.

The Nashville area does not have as many private options, but the ones that are there are top notch.  A better public scene too.

I think you'd be surprised at how far your money can stretch in these towns versus California.  You wil have a larger house, more amenities, and a top notch club membership that you would not have in Cali. or some other places in the country.

Louisville's public golf scene is whack! It's so bad i wouldn't consider playing any of the metro parks courses. Agreed that someone can join a decent club for not a lot of $$ but kentucky is still really lacking in the quality golf offerings sadly (and i love kentucky!)

#70 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 1070

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

lower housing costs in a great school district, with affordable golf ...

:ok:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Bomber_11

Bomber_11

Enjoy the Chase.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412188
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 4089

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Salt Lake City is beautiful

It's also full of Mormons and @sshole drivers.

But there is a TopGolf....
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 9.5* w/ Diamana D+ 60X
Nike Vapor Fly 15* w/ Accra CS1 X
PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
Nike Engage 52/56/60 w/ Pink DG S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.

#72 XLee2000

XLee2000

Expert 3-Putter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415952
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostThug Hunter, on 11 July 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

I second the don't move to Texas.  We don't need anymore liberal minded Californians here. Californians are moving away from California in record numbers because they fouled it up and now that they're here in Texas, they're trying to foul up our state as well.

Easy there bud...shouldn't lump every Californian together.  Thought you Texas boys were smarter than that.
Current Bag:
Callaway XR16 w/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid #3
Callaway Apex Irons w/Project X 6.0 / Mizuno JPX850 Forged
Titleist Vokey SM5 50 & 56
Callaway PM Grind 60
Scotty Cameron '16 Newport 2.5
Kirkland or Titleist ProV1

#73 DrOldSchool

DrOldSchool

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381708
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

I've lived up and down the east coast and moved to the Indianapolis area 2 years ago for work. Before moving here I lived for 3 years on the NJ side of NYC in one of the more affluent suburbs. Like you, 5 hour expensive rounds were the norm unless driving around an hour inland or finding a hot deal.

Here on the NE side of Indy there is Carmel, Fishers, and Noblesville - all of which are booming with growth. Fishers in on those best places to live lists from like Money magazine and such. Carmel is the most affluent suburb around and has a great downtown area. Noblesville, where I live is a good little town adjacent to them, 30 min from downtown Indy. Indy is sneaky in terms of things to do/eat, has a decent downtown (yes there are the standard city crime problems) and draws all sorts of concerts and events, plus has the Colts, Pacers, AAA baseball team for the Pirates, and good college sports, along with the race track of course. In terms of golf, I routinely play for $30 or less all over the area on courses that would be $75-100 back on the east coast during the week. Lots of private options too. Sagamore is out my back door 2 minutes and I drool when I pass it. I play 9-10 months out of the year, and have snuck out both Januarys since I moved here. Top Golf is also being built in Fishers. Schools are good all over the county too, especially in Carmel, which is the most expensive. I pay about 2/3rds what I used to pay each month for rent for my place back in NJ for my mortgage here - and the house is 3 times as big. Property taxes just went up... to $1850/year.

I'm an academic so the job is why we're here. My wife is in the non-profit game and has had no shortage of opportunities since we moved here when she looked for jobs.

Edited by DrOldSchool, 12 July 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#74 XLee2000

XLee2000

Expert 3-Putter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415952
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostMcMoo, on 12 July 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

I'll throw out two less thought of places. Kansas City and Albuquerque. Coming from California both may feel a little small depending on what you're used to. Phoenix or large Texas cities could be options too.

I wouldn't recommend Albuquerque to be honest.  Lived there between 2012-2015 and have to say that, coming from San Diego, it was pretty void of things that my wife typically enjoyed (variety of good restaurants, good weather, shopping, culture, etc).  Have to say that there was not much the place offered.  That's just personal but, having given it 3 years, I can confidently say there's better places out there.  Personally, outside of San Diego, I would consider Austin, Orlando, or Seattle (granted Seattle is pretty damn pricey nowadays).
Current Bag:
Callaway XR16 w/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
Callaway Apex Hybrid #3
Callaway Apex Irons w/Project X 6.0 / Mizuno JPX850 Forged
Titleist Vokey SM5 50 & 56
Callaway PM Grind 60
Scotty Cameron '16 Newport 2.5
Kirkland or Titleist ProV1

#75 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostXLee2000, on 12 July 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'll throw out two less thought of places. Kansas City and Albuquerque. Coming from California both may feel a little small depending on what you're used to. Phoenix or large Texas cities could be options too.

I wouldn't recommend Albuquerque to be honest.  Lived there between 2012-2015 and have to say that, coming from San Diego, it was pretty void of things that my wife typically enjoyed (variety of good restaurants, good weather, shopping, culture, etc).  Have to say that there was not much the place offered.  That's just personal but, having given it 3 years, I can confidently say there's better places out there.  Personally, outside of San Diego, I would consider Austin, Orlando, or Seattle (granted Seattle is pretty damn pricey nowadays).

Austin is as well.  Getting expensive and traffic there is miserable.

Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*

#76 Mike Jamieson

Mike Jamieson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446240
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

myrtle beach

#77 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

View PostBomber_11, on 12 July 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

I hear its a nice place to visit, but to move there you may deal with some issues if your not "one of there own".  Especially if you are owning a business or doing B2B sales as your chosen profession.  Someone I know (just his personal observation and nothing more) that does cover that territory frequently said the priority level of treatment in the business sector is :

Top level - Caucasian & Mormon
    Followed by - Mormon and not Caucasian
    3rd Tier - Caucasian and not Mormon
    4th Tier - Non Caucasian / Non Mormon
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW -  Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

#78 vallygolf

vallygolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostBreak81, on 12 July 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

I hear its a nice place to visit, but to move there you may deal with some issues if your not "one of there own".  Especially if you are owning a business or doing B2B sales as your chosen profession.  Someone I know (just his personal observation and nothing more) that does cover that territory frequently said the priority level of treatment in the business sector is :

So basically the same as everywhere, just substitute whatever regional power group exists.  Mormons are just easier to single out because they stick out.  I have moved enough to see this be the case everywhere (Jewish, Asian, Black etc, etc,).  Las Vegas and Arizona also have high concentrations of Mormons, but not like Utah.

#79 duffer987

duffer987

$1300+ for Cally irons?!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
GolfWRX Likes : 7181

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

View PostSilverBullets, on 12 July 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

I know people like to bandy about the traffic thing, but it's no worse than any other city.
It has choke points like anywhere else and isn't served well in those spots, but I wouldn't make it a determining factor.
For this Northerly wimp it's the heat and being a hike to get seaside/oceanside.

That said this is GOLF...wrx, I've found the public options here good fun, there seems to be a decent mid-tier private option as well, but none of the courses really struck my fancy.

Edited by duffer987, 13 July 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#80 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5545

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

really :stink:   I was interested in Austin. Viewing it while watching a tournament it looked great. But ya say real estate is getting outta hand?

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Srixon 785's  w/G P MCC plus 4
Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace SNYPER II   46"
Oregon Ducks Bag

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 4561

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

After I retired from the military, as a second career I worked for a company that was based out of Houston, with a satellite office outside New Orleans.  I ended up staying put, between Charleston and Kiawah.  Just saying..."Think Lowcountry."

#82 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

View Postvallygolf, on 13 July 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

So basically the same as everywhere, just substitute whatever regional power group exists.  Mormons are just easier to single out because they stick out.  I have moved enough to see this be the case everywhere (Jewish, Asian, Black etc, etc,).  Las Vegas and Arizona also have high concentrations of Mormons, but not like Utah.

Yeah but Utah is to the extreme.  3/2 beer.  Can't get a drink in a bar without ordering food and something like you can't have more than 1 alcoholic drink before dinner is served at restaurants.  Until recently (2009?) I think you had to be a member of a club to walk in and order alcoholic beverages in SLC.  That is gone now but the point I am trying to make is that SLC is on a different level when it comes to that stuff than most other cities in country.  They actually advertise on their tourist website that there are '400 places in Utah where you can get a drink'.  Seriously, look it up....

Arizona has a high concentration of Mormons, I think Phoenix is the second biggest population in the country.  But the city isn't legislated by the Mormons.  SLC on the other hand...

I am not trying to say it's a bad place to live or anything like that.  My friends who moved there had vacationed there a couple of times and knew the inconveniences but assumed they were simple inconvenience's.  After less than 12 months they are miserable and are moving out.  They are also early 30's, not having kids and live a very active life.  So for them, the lack of a restaurant scene and any real form of night life really killed everything for them.  But as a place for raising a family and kids?? I'm sure it's a totally different experience.  I just think before jumping all in on moving to SLC, you need to consider the potential impact of their quirky laws.
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*

#83 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

View Post2putttom, on 13 July 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

really :stink:   I was interested in Austin. Viewing it while watching a tournament it looked great. But ya say real estate is getting outta hand?

Austin is an awesome city.  A great, budding food scene.  A good amount of night life.  That cool, weird, quirky, hipster vibe.  It's a really cool city, no doubt.  With that said, its growing very rapidly (and I believe it's a lot of California transplants) and kind of like Denver, real estate prices have had an 'hockey stick' like graph.  It's getting expensive.  Austin also doesn't really have the infrastructure to support the rapid growth so traffic has become cumbersome.

Like someone else mentioned above, traffic, however, is subjective to what you are used to.  Growing up in Ohio and now living in Phoenix, I am used to very limited traffic.  If I hit less than 60 on the freeway at any time then I am frustrated.  As Columbus began really taking off and quickly growing over the last 8 year, traffic began to increase.  But even then, there were basically 2 spots in the city where traffic was always a pain.  Phoenix is very similar to that.  For the most part, it is free flowing.  There are a few spots coming to and from the burbs where it gets bad... But I don't live in the burbs and can avoid it.  What I am getting at, is going from say Columbus, Ohio and Phoenix to Houston or Dallas makes the traffic there feel completely unbearable.  I'm just not used to it.  Every time I was in Houston the freeways were like parking lots and it felt like it took an hour to go anywhere regardless of how many miles the drive was.  Atlanta is even worse.

So I think it really just depends on what you are used to.  Im used to seeing something is 15 miles away and knowing at 8am and 5pm it's going to take me 20-25 minutes to get there.  Any other time it'll be 15-20 minutes.
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*

#84 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostMike Jamieson, on 12 July 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

myrtle beach

Oh man no way.  I would never ever live there.  It's like Vegas, only good for a couple of days.

#85 TheyCallMeVinnie

TheyCallMeVinnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334713
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Minnesota, particularly Minneapolis area. There are many.... many pro level courses here. Great active lifestyle and transit setup. You can darn near bike anywhere in the city on a protected greenway trail.

Plus, you get a few winter months to take a break from golfing and try new sports. Skiing, cross-country skiing etc...

#86 BirdieRoll

BirdieRoll

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148279
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostTheyCallMeVinnie, on 13 July 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

Minnesota, particularly Minneapolis area. There are many.... many pro level courses here. Great active lifestyle and transit setup. You can darn near bike anywhere in the city on a protected greenway trail.

Plus, you get a few winter months to take a break from golfing and try new sports. Skiing, cross-country skiing etc...

+1 if you don't mind the cold. There are 50+ courses (public and private) within an hours drive of Minneapolis so great variety. The Brainerd Golf Trail is just 2.5 hours north for summer golf trips and Minneapolis is a hub for Delta so easy non stop flights everywhere, including Phoenix and Fort Myers/Naples (for winter getaways).

Good schools, college, pro sports, killer food/craft beer scene, very good museum/theater scene, too.

Downside, in addition to the cold, is taxes, and traffic at times. Housing is getting expensive but I know that's relative.

#87 golfnhack

golfnhack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
GolfWRX Likes : 962

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

View Postbigjohntripod, on 11 July 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'd throw Florida on that short list. Coming from someone who lives in Houston, TX.

In my life (Living wise) I've gone    Houston -> Orlando -> Los Angeles -> Houston

Florida was the least crowed, cheapest, and most golf.

As someone who lived in Orlando for 14 years and now unfortunately lives in Houston, I can confer.

Central FL is where you want to be. If I had my choice, I would live in the Black Diamond Ranch neighborhood. Great homes for under $300K, and 2 great courses.

I would NOT suggest you live south west. Living central is easy to get to airports and in and out of the state.

I really miss CFL golf.

PS: The best thing you can possible do for golf is join the FSGA (fsga.org). They are BY FAR the best run state golf organization. They have a 1-day schedule with gross and nett tournaments almost every day of the week, every week of the year. Cheap to play and includes the prize fund. You will get to play excellent (and many private courses) for very reasonable money.
"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

#88 Hilltopper413

Hilltopper413

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 289885
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

View Postjjthomp2, on 12 July 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

Louisville's public golf scene is whack! It's so bad i wouldn't consider playing any of the metro parks courses. Agreed that someone can join a decent club for not a lot of $$ but kentucky is still really lacking in the quality golf offerings sadly (and i love kentucky!)

I agree with your assessment of Louisville's public scene.  It is poor.  I attribute that to the number of quality privates.  Why play poor public tracks when you are a membe of a nice private AND have reciprocal privileges at many other quality clubs?  I think Louisville has more than its share of quality golf offerings, they just happen to be private.  I'd put Valhalla, Hustbourne, Big Spring, Louisville CC, Hunting Creek, Audobon, Persimmon Ridge, Harmony Landing, and Wildwood as a group up against about anywhere in terms of quality.  And outside of Valhalla, Hustbourne, and LCC very accessible and affordable for the quality.  Not to mention the many other respectable clubs in the area.

#89 The Pearl

The Pearl

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191768
GolfWRX Likes : 1453

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 13 July 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

View Postvallygolf, on 13 July 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yeah but Utah is to the extreme.  3/2 beer.  Can't get a drink in a bar without ordering food and something like you can't have more than 1 alcoholic drink before dinner is served at restaurants.  Until recently (2009?) I think you had to be a member of a club to walk in and order alcoholic beverages in SLC.  That is gone now but the point I am trying to make is that SLC is on a different level when it comes to that stuff than most other cities in country.  They actually advertise on their tourist website that there are '400 places in Utah where you can get a drink'.  Seriously, look it up....

Arizona has a high concentration of Mormons, I think Phoenix is the second biggest population in the country.  But the city isn't legislated by the Mormons.  SLC on the other hand...

I am not trying to say it's a bad place to live or anything like that.  My friends who moved there had vacationed there a couple of times and knew the inconveniences but assumed they were simple inconvenience's.  After less than 12 months they are miserable and are moving out.  They are also early 30's, not having kids and live a very active life.  So for them, the lack of a restaurant scene and any real form of night life really killed everything for them.  But as a place for raising a family and kids?? I'm sure it's a totally different experience.  I just think before jumping all in on moving to SLC, you need to consider the potential impact of their quirky laws.

I am very interested in what kind of night life a married couple in their early 30s are seeking?  I realize they don't have kids, but it is not like you can't get a high quality meal and get drunk as a skunk in SLC.  What SLC lacks Park City probably provides.  It is one of the great ski destinations in the country.  Tons of celebrities have second homes in the PC and Heber area.  The things to do in the SLC/Northern Utah area are virtually limitless.  Great golf, unlimited outdoor sports from kayaking to fishing to hiking to hunting to skiing.  Tour of Utah, great biking, an avid running culture. The NBA, two major college football teams, one being in the Pac-12.  Several minor league sports teams.  Every major music act comes through.  A few hours drive to Zions, Bryce, etc., about 7 hours to Vegas.  You can even drive to California in a day.

SLC has a lesbian mayor for goodness sakes.

I realize there is some funky laws here and there and the church dabbles in the state politics, but it is a minor issue considering all of the positives.  You have to pretty thinned skinned and wound pretty tight to let some of the little cultural nuances bother you.

I will yield that Utah probably ranks dead last in the country in quality Pizza.

Edited by The Pearl, 13 July 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#90 Brimstone

Brimstone

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419966
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostThe Pearl, on 13 July 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

I am very interested in what kind of night life a married couple in their early 30s are seeking?  I realize they don't have kids, but it is not like you can't get a high quality meal and get drunk as a skunk in SLC.  What SLC lacks Park City probably provides.  It is one of the great ski destinations in the country.  Tons of celebrities have second homes in the PC and Heber area.  The things to do in the SLC/Northern Utah area are virtually limitless.  Great golf, unlimited outdoor sports from kayaking to fishing to hiking to hunting to skiing.  Tour of Utah, great biking, an avid running culture. The NBA, two major college football teams, one being in the Pac-12.  Several minor league sports teams.  Every major music act comes through.  A few hours drive to Zions, Bryce, etc., about 7 hours to Vegas.  You can even drive to California in a day.

SLC has a lesbian mayor for goodness sakes.

I realize there is some funky laws here and there and the church dabbles in the state politics, but it is a minor issue considering all of the positives.  You have to pretty thinned skinned and wound pretty tight to let some of the little cultural nuances bother you.

I will yield that Utah probably ranks dead last in the country in quality Pizza.

I think that people have some misconceptions about SLC.  SLC and Park City are both pretty liberal places.  I grew up in SC and moved to Utah in 1992 as a non-Mormon with no preconceptions about Utah.  I moved for the incredible scenery and skiing.  Never once as a single guy in my 20s did I feel like it was any different than anywhere else in terms of nightlife.  To be honest, I had the time of my life in Salt Lake and convinced a friend of mine to move out to SLC just because of how beautiful the women were.

I live in Utah County now and that is a bit more conservative than Utah, but as a family man in my 40s, it's perfect.

Also, Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Utah all have 3.2% beer.  It's not just a Utah thing, but we always seem to catch the most hell over it.

Edited by Brimstone, 13 July 2017 - 07:43 PM.

Nike Vapor Speed Driver
Nike Vapor Speed 3H
Callaway Heavenwood
Callaway XR OS Irons 4-PW
Callaway MD3 50°,54°, 58
°
Cleveland TFI 2135 6.5
Sun Mountain C-130S

Posted Image  Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors