Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Legacy Golf Course Las Vegas CLOSED

35 replies to this topic

#1 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185194
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 670

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

The Legacy Golf Club in Las Vegas (Henderson) on Green Valley Parkway and Wigwam has been sold. The final price was probably the lowest in recent Las Vegas history: $1.5 Million. Currently, the course is closed and so is the practice facility which was the best one in the city.

As it sits, the course needs around $800,000 in cart path repair. I've been told the new owner will probably ask for an increase to HOA fees. Until that happens, there is no plan to reopen the course.

The future of another Vegas course is also unclear. Rhodes Ranch Golf Course is now up for sale. The asking price is right around $5 million.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 20,647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19519

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Well that's sad.  Played the course several times and enjoyed it.  The "suits" tee box was interesting but hey, it's Vegas.

#3 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

Not a bad track at all. Was always a bit pricey though IMO. The tee boxes was a nice touch. I've never see club, diamond, heart and spade shaped tee boxes before.
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#4 Golfinnova

Golfinnova

Paiute Wolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16582
  • Ebay ID:MdTerps1989
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Was surprised by the news of Legacy hitting here late Monday. Love playing the course but it did need some work on the paths. Frankly, they closed the wrong course as Wildhorse should be the one closed.

Don't think it will stay closed too long as there is an agreement in place that it will stay a golf course similar to what the folks at Silverstone are going through right now.

#5 Bramsuer10

Bramsuer10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382978
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

The new Top Golf, while not at all the same thing, probably didn't help.  Most people that are in Vegas are not there for golf, and a couple hour Top Golf session may scratch the itch well enough.

#6 Dysfunkshun

Dysfunkshun

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431760
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

I played Legacy a week before they closed.  It wasn't in the best of shape, but not as bad as say Tuscany right before they switched.  The guy we were paired up with was a course local and said he had never seen it so bad in years.  As someone else mentioned, the land contract has wording in it guaranteeing the land will only be used as a golf course for 50 years from 1988.  It's not my favorite course, but I'd rather not lose another course here.

#7 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostDysfunkshun, on 15 July 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

I played Legacy a week before they closed.  It wasn't in the best of shape, but not as bad as say Tuscany right before they switched.  The guy we were paired up with was a course local and said he had never seen it so bad in years.  As someone else mentioned, the land contract has wording in it guaranteeing the land will only be used as a golf course for 50 years from 1988.  It's not my favorite course, but I'd rather not lose another course here.

That happens when a course is getting ready to close. They stop maintaining it properly and squeeze out as many rounds as possible before they drop the hammer.
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#8 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostSmash Factors, on 09 July 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

The Legacy Golf Club in Las Vegas (Henderson) on Green Valley Parkway and Wigwam has been sold. The final price was probably the lowest in recent Las Vegas history: $1.5 Million. Currently, the course is closed and so is the practice facility which was the best one in the city.

As it sits, the course needs around $800,000 in cart path repair. I've been told the new owner will probably ask for an increase to HOA fees. Until that happens, there is no plan to reopen the course.

The future of another Vegas course is also unclear. Rhodes Ranch Golf Course is now up for sale. The asking price is right around $5 million.

Best practice facility in the city?? Maybe if you've only played legacy.

#9 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

View Postkg92lefty, on 15 July 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Which one is better?
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#10 troublelove

troublelove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228175
  • Handicap:4.6
  • Ebay ID:troublelove
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Dragon Ridge, Southern Hills, Paiute, TPC......

Callaway V Series Fujikura Speeder 665 Evolution 2
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Srixon Z745 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 50,54,58
Scotty Cameron Custom Notchback or Odyssey no.11 or Odyssey 1W
TP5x

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

View PostSmash Factors, on 15 July 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Which one is better?

TPC, Paiute, Boulder Creek are the three I like the most.  Within 20 minutes of anyone.  They all have balls with dimples, a bunker with sand, more than four targets and much better greens.

#12 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338617
  • Handicap:9.2
  • Ebay ID:b!ackdeathbe!ow
GolfWRX Likes : 840

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

View Postkg92lefty, on 16 July 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Which one is better?

TPC, Paiute, Boulder Creek are the three I like the most.  Within 20 minutes of anyone.  They all have balls with dimples, a bunker with sand, more than four targets and much better greens.

Within 20 minutes my a**, lol. It takes me 38 minutes to get to Paiute when I'm stomping the pedal at 80-90mph. Boulder Creek takes about 30 and TPC, takes about the same. It took me 11 minutes to get to Legacy on average.

It may have not been the best in the city but it was definitely one of the better public practice facilities. My home course. I'm planning to start practicing at Revere now, which is a decent practice area but I'm not a fan of their range.

Anyway, sucks it closed because it was close to home. When Silverstone and Badlands closed it wasn't a big deal because I rarely played those courses but I'm bummed now it happened to Legacy! Hopefully they reope it back up in the future.
Posted Image

#13 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

View Postrobrey85, on 16 July 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Which one is better?

Within 20 minutes my a**, lol. It takes me 38 minutes to get to Paiute when I'm stomping the pedal at 80-90mph. Boulder Creek takes about 30 and TPC, takes about the same. It took me 11 minutes to get to Legacy on average.

It may have not been the best in the city but it was definitely one of the better public practice facilities. My home course. I'm planning to start practicing at Revere now, which is a decent practice area but I'm not a fan of their range.

Anyway, sucks it closed because it was close to home. When Silverstone and Badlands closed it wasn't a big deal because I rarely played those courses but I'm bummed now it happened to Legacy! Hopefully they reope it back up in the future.

Right?

Not to mention that Boulder Creek isn't even IN Las Vegas. LOL
I love Paiute, but it's a journey. You don't just jump in your car and head over to Paiute. It's all the way out at the Indian Reservation.
I agree that the range at Revere isn't very good. Bears Best has a good practice area but it's also a long drive. TPC is real nice, but it's a drive for me also.

Aside from the privates, I've played every course in this city with the exception of Southshore. I don't remember seeing a better practice area anywhere. Hopefully Legacy will reopen.

Edited by Smash Factors, 16 July 2017 - 01:33 PM.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#14 Golfinnova

Golfinnova

Paiute Wolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16582
  • Ebay ID:MdTerps1989
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Agree with Rob and Smash. While I am close to Paiute so I use their facilities, Legacy had a nice range with a good short game range. Definitely the best feature of the course.

Rob, I'm off on weekends now. Shoot me a text if you need a 4th at Chimera.

#15 AC168

AC168

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4684
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

Pretty sad ... it's a reasonably nice area ... hard to believe it struggled so badly.

#16 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,003 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

View PostGolfinnova, on 16 July 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Agree with Rob and Smash. While I am close to Paiute so I use their facilities, Legacy had a nice range with a good short game range. Definitely the best feature of the course.

Awesome dude, Chimera is in really crappy shape right now with some changes they're doing but I'm down to play next weekend. I'll shoot you a text.
Posted Image

#17 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

View Postrobrey85, on 16 July 2017 - 10:14 PM, said:

View PostGolfinnova, on 16 July 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Awesome dude, Chimera is in really crappy shape right now with some changes they're doing but I'm down to play next weekend. I'll shoot you a text.

Word has it that Royal Links has the best greens in town right now.
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#18 golf.suLLy

golf.suLLy

Threadkiller

• 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40821
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:Book_Boy7
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

Played Royal the other day and it's definitely worthy of playing. Greens were very solid, held well and rolled smooth. A little on the slow side, but it could have been an early morning thing. The course itself was lush and the rough was thick and of course an occasional burnout spot which is to be expected this time of year. Really a solid value for locals under the new ownership.

#19 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 1072

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:04 PM

Which one is better?

I love this too. I'd say they're within twenty minutes of anyone if you have a helicopter.  I live in Summerlin, won't pay TPC's prices, and cannot think of a scenario other than a special event where I'd drive the 40 minutes (if lucky) to go to Boulder Creek. I'll probably never play there no matter how nice it is.

Paiute is great for locals, no question. But even at about 25-30 minutes it is kind of pushing it for a Saturday.

#20 NoCaution

NoCaution

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359029
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

View Postgolf.suLLy, on 17 July 2017 - 10:52 PM, said:

Played Royal the other day and it's definitely worthy of playing. Greens were very solid, held well and rolled smooth. A little on the slow side, but it could have been an early morning thing. The course itself was lush and the rough was thick and of course an occasional burnout spot which is to be expected this time of year. Really a solid value for locals under the new ownership.

Unless they changed something in the last couple of months, I don't how Royal Links could be considered a "value" for locals. I played there in early May, and was not overly thrilled. I paid $90 for the "local" rate at twilight, had to drive through the ghetto to get there, and the conditions were no better than any of the budget courses around town. There were literally only 5 cars in the lot when I played there.

I can list a dozen courses that are NOT in bullet alley, with better conditions, at half the price or less, including WAY better courses like Reflection Bay, Coyote Springs, and Paiute. Hell, I only paid $75 to play Wolf Creek!

It's a neat layout, and I would play it again, but not for anything close to $90. That's what I pay for rounds when I'M the one on vacation somewhere. What's the point of living in Vegas if you can't score those sweet local deals?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 golf.suLLy

golf.suLLy

Threadkiller

• 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40821
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:Book_Boy7
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostNoCaution, on 18 July 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Unless they changed something in the last couple of months, I don't how Royal Links could be considered a "value" for locals. I played there in early May, and was not overly thrilled. I paid $90 for the "local" rate at twilight, had to drive through the ghetto to get there, and the conditions were no better than any of the budget courses around town. There were literally only 5 cars in the lot when I played there.

I can list a dozen courses that are NOT in bullet alley, with better conditions, at half the price or less, including WAY better courses like Reflection Bay, Coyote Springs, and Paiute. Hell, I only paid $75 to play Wolf Creek!

It's a neat layout, and I would play it again, but not for anything close to $90. That's what I pay for rounds when I'M the one on vacation somewhere. What's the point of living in Vegas if you can't score those sweet local deals?

Dude, sorry I didn't give up what I paid but it was the same I paid to play Reflection Bay the same day and slightly more than when I played Coyote days before. It wasn't even close to $90 and I wouldn't spend $90 of your dollars to play most tracks in LV.

#22 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

View Postgolf.suLLy, on 18 July 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Dude, sorry I didn't give up what I paid but it was the same I paid to play Reflection Bay the same day and slightly more than when I played Coyote days before. It wasn't even close to $90 and I wouldn't spend $90 of your dollars to play most tracks in LV.

It's true that a lot of the courses in Vegas aren't good. We prefer Paiute or any course that has good greens which is hard to find.

It's often worth the drive to Pahrump to play Mountain Falls. Rates are usually below $50 and conditions have always been good the few times I've played.
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#23 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,003 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

Didn't he just say it's under new ownership? or did I misinterpret that? Anyway, I'm on their website and it's showing a local rate of $59, which is a solid price if it's in lush conditions.

Anyone want to hop in for an early morning round with me and MTM? Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Posted Image

#24 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,003 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostSmash Factors, on 19 July 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

View Postgolf.suLLy, on 18 July 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

It's true that a lot of the courses in Vegas aren't good. We prefer Paiute or any course that has good greens which is hard to find.

It's often worth the drive to Pahrump to play Mountain Falls. Rates are usually below $50 and conditions have always been good the few times I've played.

A lot of that has to do with water restrictions not to mention the cost of maintenance vs the revenue they bring in and what not. I think Mountain Falls and Paiute are always in lush conditions because they're not held to the same water restrictions, at least I don't think so.
Posted Image

#25 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

I don't mean to derail the thread but when you consider the economics of Clark County and the water restrictions I don't see how the community can sustain more than 75% of the courses in existence today.

On the other hand the county IS growing again, and new residential development is up slightly.

#26 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,003 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

View Postctmason_98, on 19 July 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

I don't mean to derail the thread but when you consider the economics of Clark County and the water restrictions I don't see how the community can sustain more than 75% of the courses in existence today.

On the other hand the county IS growing again, and new residential development is up slightly.

The other issue is that these courses charge so much for out of towners to play. I remember seeing Legacy charging like 120+ for out of towners. A lot of places I have been, charge you maybe like 10 bucks more or something to play if you aren't a resident. It's pretty ridiculous.
Posted Image

#27 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

View Postrobrey85, on 19 July 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

A lot of that has to do with water restrictions not to mention the cost of maintenance vs the revenue they bring in and what not. I think Mountain Falls and Paiute are always in lush conditions because they're not held to the same water restrictions, at least I don't think so.

Paiute is not but Mountain Falls is under similar restrictions. Mountain Falls benefits from Rye all year, so they claim.

#28 jgonz69

jgonz69

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7283
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

Looks like its time to move to Scottsdale, the way courses are closing here.
SLDR Oban Kiyoshi Purple
M2 3wd Aldila Blue
Epic 3 hybrid
Adams 5 hybrid
Titleist AP1 Steelfiber i95 6-AW
Titleist SM5 52,56,61
Cameron MilSpec 350g
Kirkland Signature or Chrome Soft.

#29 Dysfunkshun

Dysfunkshun

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431760
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

I played Royal Links a few weeks ago, it was in excellent shape as well.  Also, paid closer to $50, but when I called yesterday they were asking $77.  Tried to play Chimera yesterday and a couple things to note:  I was told they're transitioning grass, which is why it's looking bad right now.  I only saw a couple holes, but it was in ugly shape.  Next, they got hit real hard by the storm yesterday, half of hole 1 was a river.  If the ugly conditions are ok, I'd still give it a couple days to dry up some.

#30 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

View Postjgonz69, on 19 July 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Looks like its time to move to Scottsdale, the way courses are closing here.

13 years in Scottsdale. If we think looming water restrictions here are having an effect, just look at what is going to happen down there in 3-5 years. We ain't seen nothing, yet.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors