Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golftec - Advice Needed!

35 replies to this topic

#31 ayan

ayan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 327365
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostPJ1120, on 30 October 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

I have a good friend that bought a package of lessons. They wanted him to do a lateral shift in the DS and keep the shoulders and hips closed to hit a push draw. For those that have taken lessons is that what your experience was?

Yes.  In my experience, the emphasis was on on-plane back and downswing, flat left wrist throughout, hip bump and swinging to the right.

Edited by ayan, 31 October 2017 - 03:08 PM.

Driver -  Tour Edge Exotics E8 (8.5 - 12°) w/ Mitsubishi Bassara E-Series 45 Shaft
Wood -    Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 4W (16.5°) w/ Fujikura Motore Exotics 75 Shaft
Hybrids - Adams New Idea 3H (19°) and 4H (22°) w/ Mitsubishi Bassara Eagle Series 65 Shaft
Irons -   Taylor Made Speedblade 4i - 9i
Wedges -  Taylor Made Speedblade PW, AW, SW, LW
Putter -  Odyssey Works Versa #1 Wide

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

I won a lesson series with them in a charity auction a few years ago.

The instructor I had did identify that I was laid off and swinging too far in-to-out, so the diagnosis was good but the remedies didn't really work for me, so I didn't continue.

Two years later and I was battling the same old issue. Went to my local pro and said I needed him to look at my messed up swing and if he could take 30 seconds to come out to the range and look at it.  He took slightly less than 30 seconds to substantially fix it.

The surprising part to me was that he was actually ex-GolfTec.  The takeaway for me was it very much depends on who you get and whether their communication style works for you... just like any other instructor.

#33 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

Golftec sent out an email'er that has some different packages...Entry, Silver, Gold.

The gold package is $395 and has a Swing Eval, three lessons, three practice facility sessions, and a Club fitting.

I'm thinking about giving it a shot. I feel like my game isn't going anywhere right now and my HCP has been trending in the wrong direction the past few weeks.  When I started tracking I was a 22, got it down to 19.9, now I'm back up to 21.2.

I just want to be a consistent ball striker and shoot consistent 90's right now, with the occasional break into 80's.  Next year I want to break 80.  At least those were my goals when I started golfing again.

GolfDigest had an instructor article in the November magazine and there are only two "top" instructors listed in New Mexico.  One is at a muni and the other is at Golftec.  Going to call the muni now and see what the lesson rates are there and what technology is used.  I'm a big tech geek and I'm a believer in technology helping.  I really want a launch monitor at some point...

I think $400 sounds reasonable to get me working on some things over the winter.  Maybe next year I'll fly out to a Monte clinic somewhere (Dallas, Phoenix) and this will tide me over for now.

My random thoughts, somebody talk me into/out of it?

#34 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostClambake, on 11 July 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

I haven't done a lesson package with GolfTec, but did the swing evaluation and it was not a favorable experience.  To begin with, the instructor seemed pretty clueless. I was hooked up to his various gadgets, and he claimed it was showing my shoulders 30 degrees closed at address.  I could accept being a little closed, but 30 degrees seemed way excessive so I questioned it. The video clearly didn't show anything like that - it actually looked pretty square.  But he insisted that since that's what the computer said it had to be correct.  Not good when the instructor either doesn't trust his own eyes or just doesn't know better when the data clearly shows an instrumentation problem.  Strike one.

The other thing I didn't like was their basic strategy of using their data base of Tour pro swings which when averaged together they claim (or at least my instructor claimed) gave targets for all the various angles and positions they want the student to achieve. I see several things wrong with this strategy.  First, taking an average of these things together may not be an accurate approach.  Picture two players who are very different, let's say Kuchar and Dustin Johnson.  One has a very upright swing, while one is quite flat.  Averaging these together doesn't mean that the average is the proper position. It doesn't take into account different physiology of different people.  It also doesn't take into account the differences in age.  Sorry, but at age 59 I'm not going to be able to do the same things as a database of 20-30 year old Tour pros.  Again, maybe it was just my instructor, but it didn't seem like understanding my body characteristics and building the best swing for me was part of their strategy at all.  I'd ask the instructor questions along these lines and his answer was always "but we have this data base and it knows the best way to swing".   Strike two.

Then we came to the lesson plan. The recommended action plans came up to well over $3000, with about 3/4 for lessons and the remaining for practice sessions.  Looking at just the practice sessions, it looked like I was paying over $100 per 1/2 hour lesson session.  I don't have a problem with spending $3 grand to build a solid golf swing, but it seemed to me that a $200 per hour equivalent rate was excessive, especially since one can get top notch instruction in this area with highly rated coaches for around $150 an hour.  I couldn't help but think that taking 20 or so lessons from a top instructor, hitting outdoors, with someone who could understand what my body was capable of so we could build "my" swing, would be far more worthwhile.  Strike three.  

I walked out of there feeling like I had just been at a 90 minute timeshare pitch, but without the free toaster.

I liked your "90 minute timeshare without the toaster" analogy. LOL.

#35 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostJPW75, on 13 November 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

Golftec sent out an email'er that has some different packages...Entry, Silver, Gold.

The gold package is $395 and has a Swing Eval, three lessons, three practice facility sessions, and a Club fitting.

I'm thinking about giving it a shot. I feel like my game isn't going anywhere right now and my HCP has been trending in the wrong direction the past few weeks.  When I started tracking I was a 22, got it down to 19.9, now I'm back up to 21.2.

I just want to be a consistent ball striker and shoot consistent 90's right now, with the occasional break into 80's.  Next year I want to break 80.  At least those were my goals when I started golfing again.

GolfDigest had an instructor article in the November magazine and there are only two "top" instructors listed in New Mexico.  One is at a muni and the other is at Golftec.  Going to call the muni now and see what the lesson rates are there and what technology is used.  I'm a big tech geek and I'm a believer in technology helping.  I really want a launch monitor at some point...

I think $400 sounds reasonable to get me working on some things over the winter.  Maybe next year I'll fly out to a Monte clinic somewhere (Dallas, Phoenix) and this will tide me over for now.

Most pros at a muni charge less than $80 per lesson. Maybe about that? That's 5 hours of lessons.

#36 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 14 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostJPW75, on 13 November 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

Most pros at a muni charge less than $80 per lesson. Maybe about that? That's 5 hours of lessons.

Yeah the muni was $80 an hour, I checked yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors