Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2017 PROV1X vs. TP5X


62 replies to this topic

#31 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 2594

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:30 PM

After another round with the TP5X, I'm done with it. Plenty long, but I just hit the ball too high with it. Not a fan of chipping with it and any shots 70 yards and in. Just doesn't spin enough. Longest ball I've ever hit though. Most every ball out there goes the same off the driver, but the TP5X is at least 5 yards longer. The TP5 might be the ball for me, but I don't care to try. The 2017 ProV1 fits my game better.

Edited by Holy Moses, 15 July 2017 - 10:32 PM.

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G30 17* 5W (Diamana D+ 83X)
Ping i20 3 (PXi 6.0), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 dunn

dunn

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
  • Joined: 03/19/2011
  • Location:so cal
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1156

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Tried 2017 pro v 1 which is my normal ball but went back to 2015/2016 model due to it has more spin for me and feels softer.....

But the guy above is right, theyre all very good and i can still shoot par with any of em so it doesnt really matter......i suppose if your a tour player it does matter a bit but hey, its not too big a deal for recreational golfer.....

I do hear the 2017 pro v 1x spins more than pro v so may give em a go.....

Hit srixons, bstones, tp5, and theyre all very good.....tp5 being my least fav ( i was a huge penta and lethal fan)

2

#33 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 2,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1601

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostG-Bone, on 04 July 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Many players who started off loving TP5x have begun to shy away, do to all the reasons mentioned above.

Be sure to give 17 V a shot in addition to 17 X and 17 XV.  17 V is what replaced 15 X, for me.

My only complaint on the TP5x is that it clearly launches higher on 50 yard wedge than I'm used to. I do prefer to flight short wedge shots down and hit a one bounce and stop shot. The 5x just jumps up a few degrees higher which takes some adjusting to.
http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

3

#34 c50sooner

c50sooner

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263526
  • Joined: 07/12/2013
  • Location:Oklahoma
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:25 PM

Went to the practice green today with a sleeve of TP5x, TP5, Chrome Soft X, and Chrome Soft.  Have been playing CSX most of the year, and Chrome Soft the last 2 years.  Played round of the year last week with TP5, so thought I'd give TP5x a try given the feedback.  Out of the 4, I could not get used to the TP5x exploding off the putter face.  Distinctly different than other 3.  Same story with gap wedge pitches.  TP5X launched noticeably higher than other three on short green side shots, and with less spin. Have not gotten to hit full shots with TP5X yet, but not sure I can live with green side even if it dominates the long game.  TP5 probably my favorite at this point, followed by CSX.
Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* - Speeder Evolution II 665 S
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - Aldila Tour Green S

Titleist 816 H1 21* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 70 S
Srixon Z355 26* Hybrid - Miyazaki Jinsoku S
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-AW - Project X 95 Flighted 5.0

Cleveland Niblick 49* - DG S300
Callaway MD2 56* SW - DG S300
Cleveland Smart Square Putter

Chrome Soft X - Truvis
Caddytek V2+Slope

Maxx HD

4

#35 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Joined: 09/09/2005
  • Location:Loxahatchee,FL
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 800

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

Older,slow speed guy here..... started year loving TP5X.... noticed some of the above complaints: too high on pitches, not enough spin into and around the greens....long ball however....tried 15 v1x which felt clicky.....also shorter in all aspects to TP5X....bought 17 v1x and feels softer; not as soft as TP5X but similar in most ways .... distance and trajectory.... caveat....it spins much better into and around the greens.

Will add more this week.


5

#36 MSB

MSB

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247573
  • Joined: 04/26/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Compared to the 2017 ProV1 I've noticed i get about 3 yards more carry through the bag with the TP5x. I tried a dozen of the 2017 ProV1x and found i hit them higher and shorter than the ProV1.

6

#37 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Joined: 04/30/2015
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:35 AM

Greenside and wedge spin is a known issue with TP5X. I bought a dozen and confirmed this. They will not stop on my home greens. I've downgraded these balls to "scramble" status, where short game spin is no concern (but distance matters a great deal).
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

7

#38 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

The 2017 prov1x is a great ball. This year Titleist seems to be pushing the Prov1 but for me the x has picked up tee distance and green side spin.

8

#39 golfpros1

golfpros1

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2292

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Postcristphoto, on 12 August 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

The 2017 prov1x is a great ball. This year Titleist seems to be pushing the Prov1 but for me the x has picked up tee distance and green side spin.

I'm confused by the Titleist ball lineup this year.  It seems like the prov1 and prov1x are switching roles.  the prov1 is softer, but lower spinning compared to the x now on irons.... or so they say.  But people still say the x has higher ball speeds.  So I'm confused and just went with the TP5X instead, which is lower spin throughout the bag, but still spinny enough
What's In The Bag:
Golf Jobs
Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ Project X HZRDUS Black
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80
3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90
Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Golf w/ Project X 6.0
Ball: Taylormade TP5X
Bag: Titleist

9

#40 Hat Trick

Hat Trick

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216173
  • Joined: 12/15/2012
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

I tried to like 2017 Pro V1X, but there was something about it that didn't work for me.  Then tried TP5X  but I had the same problems many have posted that it doesn't spin enough on mid irons and hold greens on full shots (driver swing speed 97-99 mph).  Now am playng the TP5 and it seems to be the best ball for my game. I didn't try the 2017 Pro V1.

Edited by Hat Trick, 12 August 2017 - 01:01 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3081

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

 golfpros1, on 12 August 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

 cristphoto, on 12 August 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

The 2017 prov1x is a great ball. This year Titleist seems to be pushing the Prov1 but for me the x has picked up tee distance and green side spin.

I'm confused by the Titleist ball lineup this year.  It seems like the prov1 and prov1x are switching roles.  the prov1 is softer, but lower spinning compared to the x now on irons.... or so they say.  But people still say the x has higher ball speeds.  So I'm confused and just went with the TP5X instead, which is lower spin throughout the bag, but still spinny enough

This year's ProV1x is nearly identical to the previous ProV1x. Literally no difference except for supposedly more accurately shaped dimples for "more consistency".

This year's ProV1 is supposed to offer better distance than the previous ProV1 but is still lower (Titleist call it "more penetrating") fight and softer feel than ProV1x, as it has always been.

And in 2017 the ProV1x still spins slightly more than ProV1 off clubs other than driver. Perhaps less spin difference than in years past but whatever difference remains is still ProV1x higher spin (except for driver).

I don't know where this silly Internet meme of the two models "reversing" or "switching places" originated. Titleist never said any such. They did say that "some players who have always played ProV1x have switched to the new ProV1" but they go on to say that's because they like the soft feel and/or lower trajectory of ProV1 and with the 2017 they feel they no longer are giving up distance.

Edited by North Butte, 12 August 2017 - 08:17 PM.

A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

11

#42 golfpros1

golfpros1

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2292

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

 North Butte, on 12 August 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

 golfpros1, on 12 August 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

 cristphoto, on 12 August 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

The 2017 prov1x is a great ball. This year Titleist seems to be pushing the Prov1 but for me the x has picked up tee distance and green side spin.

I'm confused by the Titleist ball lineup this year.  It seems like the prov1 and prov1x are switching roles.  the prov1 is softer, but lower spinning compared to the x now on irons.... or so they say.  But people still say the x has higher ball speeds.  So I'm confused and just went with the TP5X instead, which is lower spin throughout the bag, but still spinny enough

This year's ProV1x is nearly identical to the previous ProV1x. Literally no difference except for supposedly more accurately shaped dimples for "more consistency".

This year's ProV1 is supposed to offer better distance than the previous ProV1 but is still lower (Titleist call it "more penetrating") fight and softer feel than ProV1x, as it has always been.

And in 2017 the ProV1x still spins slightly more than ProV1 off clubs other than driver. Perhaps less spin difference than in years past but whatever difference remains is still ProV1x higher spin (except for driver).

I don't know where this silly Internet meme of the two models "reversing" or "switching places" originated. Titleist never said any such. They did say that "some players who have always played ProV1x have switched to the new ProV1" but they go on to say that's because they like the soft feel and/or lower trajectory of ProV1 and with the 2017 they feel they no longer are giving up distance.

I think the confusion comes from the long history of the two models and the perception of the balls.  The X was always higher launching, firmer, and lower spinning tee to green (but high spin around the green)... and the longest of the two.  The V was lower trajectory, softer, higher spinning tee to green... and the shorter of the two.  Choosing the V was a sacrifice of feel over distance.

This year the X is the higher spinning golf ball for all the irons, not just around the greens.  It might still be the longer ball tee to green, but some people say no, but ball speeds are good with a multi-layer ball off a driver, but maybe not that different than the V now?  The V is still softer and lower traj than the X, but now lower spinning for the irons, so the lower spin will help with distance... or not?

I find it confusing because ultimately I want the longest ball off the tee, but also a lower spinning golf ball with the irons, but plenty of spin around the greens, and a soft feel is a bonus.  To me the TP5X was designed to do what I wanted performance wise.  I think Titleist needs to better communicate what is going on with these two golf balls because I'm not the only one that felt the V made a major change this year based on reports and marketing.

Edited by golfpros1, 12 August 2017 - 10:42 PM.

What's In The Bag:
Golf Jobs
Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ Project X HZRDUS Black
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80
3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90
Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Golf w/ Project X 6.0
Ball: Taylormade TP5X
Bag: Titleist

12

#43 Q-Lock

Q-Lock

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238861
  • Joined: 03/17/2013
  • Location:Ohio
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

I play the 2017 prov1x normally but I have a couple sleeves of the tp5x. Spin feels to be about the same but I can't get over how firm the tp5x feels compared to the prov1x. To me, it feels/sounds like I've just hit a rock when I'm putting with the tp5x.

To each their own though. Just my 2 cents.

Q
Titleist 917D3 9.0, Diamana White D+ 70s (shortened 1")
Titleist 917F3 15.0, Fujikura Tour Spec 80x (shortened 1")
Titleist 716 TMB 2-iron, DG s300 AMT
Callaway X-Forged 2013 4-pw, PXi 6.0
Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 with TI DG s400
Titleist Classic Newport 2 (oil can finish stripped and re-blued with 4 strips lead tape on sole)
Titleist prov1x (2017 version)
Ping Hoofer Bag (2016 version)

13

#44 trackcoach13

trackcoach13

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73092
  • Joined: 01/17/2009
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

 Q-Lock, on 13 August 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

I play the 2017 prov1x normally but I have a couple sleeves of the tp5x. Spin feels to be about the same but I can't get over how firm the tp5x feels compared to the prov1x. To me, it feels/sounds like I've just hit a rock when I'm putting with the tp5x.

To each their own though. Just my 2 cents.

Q

I find the TP5x to be a softer feel than ProV1x off all clubs including putter.

14

#45 huskie

huskie

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141061
  • Joined: 10/04/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

old guy here too. tried the pro v 1 and the tpx and liked them, thought what the heck tries tp1x and love it

 SwooshLT, on 05 August 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Older,slow speed guy here..... started year loving TP5X.... noticed some of the above complaints: too high on pitches, not enough spin into and around the greens....long ball however....tried 15 v1x which felt clicky.....also shorter in all aspects to TP5X....bought 17 v1x and feels softer; not as soft as TP5X but similar in most ways .... distance and trajectory.... caveat....it spins much better into and around the greens.

Will add more this week.


15

#46 sonodo

sonodo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474722
  • Joined: 07/12/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

Reading the TP5x threads, it suggests the TP5x has a significantly higher ball speed with the driver and irons and spins just as much around the green.  

I currently play the pro V1x but if I can improve my ball speed without spending hours in the gym then it's worth giving it a go.

Choosing golf equipment is a very individual feelly thing and difficult to quantify.  But statistically the TP5x is longer and arguably spins just as much around the green.
8.5* Subzero - Tensei Orange 60TX-V3 (tipped 0.75")
14* Subzero - Tensei Orange 70TX-V2 (tipped 1")
3 to PW - Tour Issue P750 with C-Taper S+
54*/11 and 60*/9 - TM Milled grind wedge
Scotty Cameron - Newport 1.5
TP5x

16

#47 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3081

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

I do not think the USGA would allow a ball that produces significantly higher ball speeds than a ProV1x...or B330 or Q-Star...

If there were a ball 5mph faster than ProV1x allowed under the Rules then nobody would play anything else.

Edited by North Butte, 13 August 2017 - 08:03 PM.

A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

17

#48 sonodo

sonodo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474722
  • Joined: 07/12/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

 North Butte, on 13 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

I do not think the USGA would allow a ball that produces significantly higher ball speeds than a ProV1x...or B330 or Q-Star...

If there were a ball 5mph faster than ProV1x allowed under the Rules then nobody would play anything else.

John Rahm and Rory have both reported increase in ball speed and in some cases, with their irons in particular up to 3-4 mph increase in ball speed.  I guess the USGA got it wrong again.  Ball manufacturers are all working very hard to increase ball spead without breaking any rules and in this case TM appears to have produced a ball that is better and longer then any ball they have previously produced.
8.5* Subzero - Tensei Orange 60TX-V3 (tipped 0.75")
14* Subzero - Tensei Orange 70TX-V2 (tipped 1")
3 to PW - Tour Issue P750 with C-Taper S+
54*/11 and 60*/9 - TM Milled grind wedge
Scotty Cameron - Newport 1.5
TP5x

18

#49 buckI

buckI

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91171
  • Joined: 08/09/2009
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

 sonodo, on 13 August 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

 North Butte, on 13 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

I do not think the USGA would allow a ball that produces significantly higher ball speeds than a ProV1x...or B330 or Q-Star...

If there were a ball 5mph faster than ProV1x allowed under the Rules then nobody would play anything else.

John Rahm and Rory have both reported increase in ball speed and in some cases, with their irons in particular up to 3-4 mph increase in ball speed.  I guess the USGA got it wrong again.  Ball manufacturers are all working very hard to increase ball spead without breaking any rules and in this case TM appears to have produced a ball that is better and longer then any ball they have previously produced.

Well given all the marketing for the companies, I should be hitting it anout 450 (or average WRX distance).  I know companies are working hard at all this given the limits they have to adhere to but no one is going to say the equipment they are being paid to play isn't better and they don't always show what the comparison is to clearly.   I am not a Titleist fanboy but the last three majors were one by Pro V1x players.
Ping G25  10.5* - TFC Tour stiff
                Ping G 3 Wood 14.5* - Tour stiff
                Ping i15 20/23 - UST Axivcore stiff
                Ping I25 5-pw - CFS S Cushin +1/4
                Ping Glide 52/56/60 SS
                Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

19

#50 sonodo

sonodo

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474722
  • Joined: 07/12/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

I am also very skeptical about the claims of manufactures and they spend a lot of money on marketing.  If I believed everything they say I too would hit the ball 450 plus.  I am little less skeptical when top players make specific claims backed up with launch monitor data.  But what ultimately led me to conclude that the TP5x is longer then the ProV1x is the scientific testing done on these balls on this web site backed up with launch monitor data.

TW won many tournaments playing arguably and according to Pill, inferior equipment and ball.  I love Nike cloths and I am disappointed they pulled out of golf.

As a golf enthusiast I try to play the best equipment available for me and I dont care who makes it. I buy what I want but I have to use web sites like this to point out the latest market leaders.  In my case I have chosen the TP5x because I want the ball to fly further without sacrificing feel, which is an individual thing.  Testing shows that the TP5x goes further and with the irons significantly further.  TP5x launches higher with less spin and these characteristics open many opportunities to optimize ball flight.

8.5* Subzero - Tensei Orange 60TX-V3 (tipped 0.75")
14* Subzero - Tensei Orange 70TX-V2 (tipped 1")
3 to PW - Tour Issue P750 with C-Taper S+
54*/11 and 60*/9 - TM Milled grind wedge
Scotty Cameron - Newport 1.5
TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 jjfcpa

jjfcpa

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429650
  • Joined: 06/19/2016
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

This is all very subjective and will vary from player to player depending on a number of variables.  The only conclusion I can reach from reading through this thread is that each golfer must do a little testing to see what ball performs best for them.  I've used a handful of different balls and can't really reach any hard and fast conclusions other than certain balls "feel" better and seem to "perform" better than others.

There are probably a number of balls that I could play without any appreciable difference in the score I achieve in a round of golf; however, I've settled on the Snell MTB because it feels great off the driver and performs up to my expectations on the green.  Oh, and unlike some of those mentioned here does not rely on tour professionals and millions of dollars in advertising to win over non-tour golfers.

21

#52 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

I have traditionally used the Pro V1x and have stayed away from the v1 due to too much long game spin.  I used the TPx and it seemed similar to the V1x, and this year I played around with the TP5x and it is flat out amazing off of the irons, but for me on partial shots and 70 yards and in it can be inconsistent.  It also launches very very high for me.

The new V1x is launching higher for me than previous years, eveything else is similar.

The big surprise for me is this years ProV1.  It flights lower for me, spins less, and is the longest ProV I can remember hitting.  very consistent ball and the feel is a soft dense impact that I like a lot.

The really big surprise however comes from the Snell MTB.  I just ordered a 6 pack after finding one and playing it side by side the '17 ProV1 and they are nearly identical in their performance in every category, including the way it felt coming off all clubs.

I really wanted to make the TP5x my ball, but in those in between situations it performed inconsistently for me, perhaps it's all the layers and their different densities, and the various impact speeds at which they compress etc..  I get quite a few jumper type balls with the TP5x that I don't get with the other balls.

Edited by Hubijerk, 20 August 2017 - 04:56 PM.

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

22

#53 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3719

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

View Postsonodo, on 13 August 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 August 2017 - 08:02 PM, said:

I do not think the USGA would allow a ball that produces significantly higher ball speeds than a ProV1x...or B330 or Q-Star...

If there were a ball 5mph faster than ProV1x allowed under the Rules then nobody would play anything else.

John Rahm and Rory have both reported increase in ball speed and in some cases, with their irons in particular up to 3-4 mph increase in ball speed.  I guess the USGA got it wrong again.  Ball manufacturers are all working very hard to increase ball spead without breaking any rules and in this case TM appears to have produced a ball that is better and longer then any ball they have previously produced.
If there is in fact increased ball speed and distance, I would be surprised if there wasn't a decrease in greenside spin. To gain something you have to give up something somewhere else. There are plenty of distance balls longer than ProV1x, but you don't see tour players use them cause they are lacking in short game performance. Every golf ball is a compromise.

Edited by playa, 23 August 2017 - 10:20 AM.


23

#54 yebritas

yebritas

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468618
  • Joined: 05/22/2017
  • Location:Temecula, CA
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

I find taylormade TP5x to have a little less dispersion of the tee and almost the same performance around the greens.

24

#55 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 2594

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

The TP5X had way too high a launch for me. I tried the regular TP5 and while it was very long and straight with a lower flight than the TP5X, it still is the worst spinning urethane ball I have hit around the greens. The type of greenside spin a non-urethane ball has. Just releases way too much on every shot inside 70 yards.

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G30 17* 5W (Diamana D+ 83X)
Ping i20 3 (PXi 6.0), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

25

#56 ZA206

ZA206

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326991
  • Joined: 07/15/2014
  • Location:Charlotte, NC
  • Handicap:4.8
  • Ebay ID:ZA206
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

View PostPure745, on 09 July 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

View Postgolfpros1, on 08 July 2017 - 10:59 PM, said:

I've played the ProV1x for 10 years, and switched to the TP5x after testing.  I found it's a better performing golf ball tee to green, and equally good around the greens.  If you want to lower spin, get the TP5x.  You will gain some yardage, and hit straighter shots, because of the spin reduction.  It's that simple.

Add me to this.  Rather than my ProV1x ripping back on receptive greens and ballooning in the wind, the TP5x has been a godsend.

I agree 1000%! I had the same experience switching from 2015 Pro V1x to TP5X.... especially important in winter/wet rounds.
TM 2017 M2 460 9.5 with Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
TM 2016 M1 15  3W with Speeder 757 TS Evo X
TM RBZ2 Tour 18.5 3H  & Tour 22.5 4H with Matrix Red Tie X
716 TMB (4-6) with AMT X100's
716 CB (7-PW) with AMT X100's
52F & 56S SM6 with AMT X100's
Evnroll ER3 Wingback 34"

26

#57 EKELLY

EKELLY

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Joined: 12/08/2015
  • Location:Tampa, FL
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 964

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

It's a good ball, but overall, it's not as good as the Titleist, or Srixon, IMO.........Rory got 100 million reasons to say it's the BEST ball he's played "ever".......It's good, but that line was horseshit!..........

27

#58 MrJones

MrJones

    Waiting for the weekend...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Joined: 08/26/2006
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

Played the TP5X yesterday for fun so here's my take (which echoes a lot that's already been said):

Overall feel wasn't significantly different than the ProV1x.

Ball flight/launch with higher lofted clubs was significantly higher. For me it was surprising at first how high this ball got off the medium to short irons. It seemed like they went higher than any other ball I've ever hit. Distances were still very close to the same as ProV1x.

I noticed that off the driver the ball flight was really low. Maybe one of the lowest I've ever hit. I was weird compared to how high it launched off the irons. Plenty of distance with one of my longest drives in a while on the 18th hole. Long irons also didn't seem to get as high, but they still had the distance.

Overall spin was fine. No problems holding a green and being within a foot or two of my divot. But a ProV1x would have been closer and rarely ends up beyond my divot which this one did.

Spin on 40 yards and in was where I saw the biggest difference. It's not horrible, compared to my normal B330, but it wasn't as good as the ProV1x. Hit a couple of wedge shots that felt sweet but then had way less check than I anticipated.

To me, it putted well. Slightly less "clicky" than the ProV1x.

Overall I liked the ball. It just won't replace the B330/ProV1xs in my bag.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

28

#59 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3081

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostMrJones, on 06 September 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Played the TP5X yesterday for fun so here's my take (which echoes a lot that's already been said):

Overall feel wasn't significantly different than the ProV1x.

Ball flight/launch with higher lofted clubs was significantly higher. For me it was surprising at first how high this ball got off the medium to short irons. It seemed like they went higher than any other ball I've ever hit. Distances were still very close to the same as ProV1x.

I noticed that off the driver the ball flight was really low. Maybe one of the lowest I've ever hit. I was weird compared to how high it launched off the irons. Plenty of distance with one of my longest drives in a while on the 18th hole. Long irons also didn't seem to get as high, but they still had the distance.

Overall spin was fine. No problems holding a green and being within a foot or two of my divot. But a ProV1x would have been closer and rarely ends up beyond my divot which this one did.

Spin on 40 yards and in was where I saw the biggest difference. It's not horrible, compared to my normal B330, but it wasn't as good as the ProV1x. Hit a couple of wedge shots that felt sweet but then had way less check than I anticipated.

To me, it putted well. Slightly less "clicky" than the ProV1x.

Overall I liked the ball. It just won't replace the B330/ProV1xs in my bag.

Nicely reported, thanks.

Just for context...does anything check quicker on a 40 yard wedge shot than the current ProV1x?

Coming from 2014/2015 B330 I thought that ball was extremely predictable and controllable from close in range. But the ProV1x just sits down immediately every time, pretty amazing. Makes it look like I can hit spinning shots (which I normally can not).
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

29

#60 jsixman

jsixman

    IASTATER

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322879
  • Joined: 06/24/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:sitzmannj
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

Can anybody give a brief comparison between the 2015 ProV1x vs the 2017 ProV1x?  Bought 9 dozen 2015s and am about to run out.  Need to make a choice. Thanks.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors