Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TheGrint Free v Premium?

32 replies to this topic

#31 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 1851

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:40 AM

Is the shot tracker only on the paid version, and is it used to calculate SG18 stats?  I have the free version, haven't used it yet but I will be tomorrow.

WITB
DR - Z785 Tensei Pro Blue 60
3W - F8 HZRDUS Black 75
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - MD4 54/12W Modus Wedge 115
LW - MD4 58/12X Modus Wedge 115
P - Custom Oil Soaked Xenon
Ball - Project (a)
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 shaneyank

shaneyank

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126075
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:06 AM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 26 September 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

Is the shot tracker only on the paid version, and is it used to calculate SG18 stats?  I have the free version, haven't used it yet but I will be tomorrow.

Shot tracking is only available in the paid version of TheGrint. I have no idea about SG18 stats.

However, as a free member, you do get to try shot tracking free for one round. I tested shot tracking in multiple apps and found that I don't care for it in any app because it requires more interaction for every single shot. The extra distraction is not worth it. That is clearly a case of my personal preference.

I've tried at least 5 different iPhone apps (TheGrint, 18Birdies, SwingXSwing, Hole19, GolfNow and BirdieApps)  because I wanted to determine my favorite. TheGrint is the winner. 18Birdies comes a distant second because TheGrint does such a great job with the yardage interface.

In my personal option, the primary benefits are:
  • Easy to use interface for measuring distance
  • Very accurate GPS
  • Free USGA handicap
  • Access to nearly any course
  • Support for both Google Maps and Apple Maps (on iPhone)
All of the above are available for free! However, I pay to be a premium member because they deserve it. Membership is equivalent to a sleeve of ProV1s and I am more than capable of putting a sleeve OB in any given round, so TheGrint is not asking for much :)

#33 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 1851

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

Yeah I went and threw down the $20 for pro access. Very good app, simple to use as fast. Really like the HC index feature, and also the stats tracking is nice. No SG18, but the only app I know that does that is BeBrassie, and no offense to them... it was a horrible experience as far as GPS and shot tracking. In order to have SG18 done properly, you need to be uber precise with all your shot distances, including putts.

When I'm golfing, I'm there to have fun (maybe drink a few brews) and enjoy myself. Having to write down or record every detail about my round as I'm playing it makes it very annoying and takes enjoyment away. Post round it's just as bad because then you need to try to remember every shot if you didn't meticulously write it down before hand.

PS I don't mind the ProV1 investment analogy as I finally went a full 18 holes this weekend with one ball. :D
WITB
DR - Z785 Tensei Pro Blue 60
3W - F8 HZRDUS Black 75
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - MD4 54/12W Modus Wedge 115
LW - MD4 58/12X Modus Wedge 115
P - Custom Oil Soaked Xenon
Ball - Project (a)
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

0 user(s) are reading this topic