Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

G400 irons


530 replies to this topic

#511 Golfdoctor

Golfdoctor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73113
  • Joined: 01/18/2009
  • Location:Canton, MI
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

View PostTheBear95, on 29 September 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Postcaniac6, on 29 September 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Is there an upcharge for the steel shafts besides the AWT shaft?

No. Some very good options... XP 95, Nippon Modus 105, DG, KBS Tour, Project X.
The Nippon Modus 105 also comes in regular flex if needed at NO up charge.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#512 caniac6

caniac6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
  • Joined: 01/17/2013
  • Location:Winston-Salem,NC
GolfWRX Likes : 1540

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

View PostTheBear95, on 29 September 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Postcaniac6, on 29 September 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Is there an upcharge for the steel shafts besides the AWT shaft?

No. Some very good options... XP 95, Nippon Modus 105, DG, KBS Tour, Project X.
Thanks

View PostGolfdoctor, on 29 September 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

View PostTheBear95, on 29 September 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Postcaniac6, on 29 September 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Is there an upcharge for the steel shafts besides the AWT shaft?

No. Some very good options... XP 95, Nippon Modus 105, DG, KBS Tour, Project X.
The Nippon Modus 105 also comes in regular flex if needed at NO up charge.
Thanks

2

#513 Beckman4

Beckman4

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78636
  • Joined: 03/29/2009
  • Location:Marietta GA
  • Ebay ID:Beckman-4
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

View Postrhocking, on 20 September 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Loving my new G400s.  White Dot + 1/2inch.  XP-95.

Now I am looking to get some wedges to complement these.  I know that White Dot is 3 degrees upright.  I am going to try wedges from Ping (Glide 2.0) or Cleveland, possibly Vokeys.  If I get wedges from a different manufacturer do I get 3 degrees upright +1/2 inch or is the lie from different manufacturers going to be different than the lie on the G400 irons?

PS I am considering 54 / 58 or possibly 55 (54 bent to 55) and 60.  Not sure I am good enough to worry about 1 degree of difference.

The G400s with XP-95 hit very, very high.  I didn't gain much distance over my previous players iron (Mizuno) but I purposefully wanted the G400s to go high because of concern about spin and stopping power on the greens.  So far I have only played one round and the stopping power was great.  Ball stops within a yard or so on short irons to about 5-7 yards (with long irons).  I am getting much better consistency of strike and more consistent distances with the G400 which is what I expected.  In case it makes a difference, I am a 10-12 HCP and am using Pro-V1.

Hey Buddy,
As a lifelong PING fan I've been following this thread closely and reading the G400 reviews. Can you answer one question for me? You say that you didn't have stopping power problems, but then mention that the long irons release 5-7 yards, which to me (as much as ~21 feet) sounds like alot. How does that compare to your previous irons? Do you normally see this type of run out? I know everyone has different swings and some spin more than others, but I'd like to know if that was a big jump from what you played previously.
Thanks!
Cobra F6 10.5* Stock Red Tie S
Cobra F6 16* Stock Red Tie S
PING Eye 2+ 4-LW JZ S Green Dot
PING Anser 50th Anniversary

3

#514 rhocking

rhocking

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90734
  • Joined: 08/04/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

View PostBeckman4, on 30 September 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

View Postrhocking, on 20 September 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Loving my new G400s.  White Dot + 1/2inch.  XP-95.

Now I am looking to get some wedges to complement these.  I know that White Dot is 3 degrees upright.  I am going to try wedges from Ping (Glide 2.0) or Cleveland, possibly Vokeys.  If I get wedges from a different manufacturer do I get 3 degrees upright +1/2 inch or is the lie from different manufacturers going to be different than the lie on the G400 irons?

PS I am considering 54 / 58 or possibly 55 (54 bent to 55) and 60.  Not sure I am good enough to worry about 1 degree of difference.

The G400s with XP-95 hit very, very high.  I didn't gain much distance over my previous players iron (Mizuno) but I purposefully wanted the G400s to go high because of concern about spin and stopping power on the greens.  So far I have only played one round and the stopping power was great.  Ball stops within a yard or so on short irons to about 5-7 yards (with long irons).  I am getting much better consistency of strike and more consistent distances with the G400 which is what I expected.  In case it makes a difference, I am a 10-12 HCP and am using Pro-V1.

Hey Buddy,
As a lifelong PING fan I've been following this thread closely and reading the G400 reviews. Can you answer one question for me? You say that you didn't have stopping power problems, but then mention that the long irons release 5-7 yards, which to me (as much as ~21 feet) sounds like alot. How does that compare to your previous irons? Do you normally see this type of run out? I know everyone has different swings and some spin more than others, but I'd like to know if that was a big jump from what you played previously.
Thanks!
For me the G400s stop quicker than I was seeing before.  With my previous players irons the long irons would often have 10 yards of run out and I would be playing to the center of green for a back pin.  The reason I think the G400s stop well for me is that they hit ridiculously high compared to what I was hitting before.  I was very concerned with all the reviews saying spin and stopping power might be an issue.  So far I see no evidence that the G400s lack stopping power.  I did not gain much distance (this doesn't bother me) but I now hit a lot, lot higher, for the same distances I was hitting before and with more stopping power than I had before.  I rarely spin the ball back - either with my previous Mizuno's or with my new G400s but the short irons stop on a dime.  If you are someone who is used to stopping long irons within a yard or two I don't know if my review /experience with the G400s is helpful because your game must be different than mine.

All I can say is that for me the forgiveness is way better with the G400s.  I am not sure whether I would be considered a low handicapper but I shoot high 70s and low 80s and for me the increased forgiveness is why I got the G400s. I don't think these are high handicapper irons.  To me they look good and the offset is not (to my eye) an issue.  I care more about where the ball goes and hitting good 'bad shots'.  The distance I get with the G400s is much more consistent with off center strikes.  For me the G400s are keepers.

4

#515 I'd rather be golfing

I'd rather be golfing

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467434
  • Joined: 05/13/2017
  • Location:SL,UT
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

View Postrhocking, on 30 September 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:

View PostBeckman4, on 30 September 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

View Postrhocking, on 20 September 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Loving my new G400s.  White Dot + 1/2inch.  XP-95.

Now I am looking to get some wedges to complement these.  I know that White Dot is 3 degrees upright.  I am going to try wedges from Ping (Glide 2.0) or Cleveland, possibly Vokeys.  If I get wedges from a different manufacturer do I get 3 degrees upright +1/2 inch or is the lie from different manufacturers going to be different than the lie on the G400 irons?

PS I am considering 54 / 58 or possibly 55 (54 bent to 55) and 60.  Not sure I am good enough to worry about 1 degree of difference.

The G400s with XP-95 hit very, very high.  I didn't gain much distance over my previous players iron (Mizuno) but I purposefully wanted the G400s to go high because of concern about spin and stopping power on the greens.  So far I have only played one round and the stopping power was great.  Ball stops within a yard or so on short irons to about 5-7 yards (with long irons).  I am getting much better consistency of strike and more consistent distances with the G400 which is what I expected.  In case it makes a difference, I am a 10-12 HCP and am using Pro-V1.

Hey Buddy,
As a lifelong PING fan I've been following this thread closely and reading the G400 reviews. Can you answer one question for me? You say that you didn't have stopping power problems, but then mention that the long irons release 5-7 yards, which to me (as much as ~21 feet) sounds like alot. How does that compare to your previous irons? Do you normally see this type of run out? I know everyone has different swings and some spin more than others, but I'd like to know if that was a big jump from what you played previously.
Thanks!
For me the G400s stop quicker than I was seeing before.  With my previous players irons the long irons would often have 10 yards of run out and I would be playing to the center of green for a back pin.  The reason I think the G400s stop well for me is that they hit ridiculously high compared to what I was hitting before.  I was very concerned with all the reviews saying spin and stopping power might be an issue.  So far I see no evidence that the G400s lack stopping power.  I did not gain much distance (this doesn't bother me) but I now hit a lot, lot higher, for the same distances I was hitting before and with more stopping power than I had before.  I rarely spin the ball back - either with my previous Mizuno's or with my new G400s but the short irons stop on a dime.  If you are someone who is used to stopping long irons within a yard or two I don't know if my review /experience with the G400s is helpful because your game must be different than mine.

All I can say is that for me the forgiveness is way better with the G400s.  I am not sure whether I would be considered a low handicapper but I shoot high 70s and low 80s and for me the increased forgiveness is why I got the G400s.    I don't think these are high handicapper irons.  To me they look good and the offset is not (to my eye) an issue.  I care more about where the ball goes and hitting good 'bad shots'.  The distance I get with the G400s is much more consistent with off center strikes.  For me the G400s are keepers.
What shaft do you have? I have regular flex Nippon modus tour 105. And recently I've been getting a lot of extra roll. Where as before I didn't see any extra roll. I've tried all different brands of ureathane balls. But still getting extra roll off. I don't think I'm hitting the ball high enough, which to me seems odd. The extra roll is really annoying me. And Im considering  exchanging my Nippon for the xp 95 since I'm still in my 90 day exchange period.


5

#516 rhocking

rhocking

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90734
  • Joined: 08/04/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

View PostI, on 01 October 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

View Postrhocking, on 30 September 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:


For me the G400s stop quicker than I was seeing before.  With my previous players irons the long irons would often have 10 yards of run out and I would be playing to the center of green for a back pin.  The reason I think the G400s stop well for me is that they hit ridiculously high compared to what I was hitting before.  I was very concerned with all the reviews saying spin and stopping power might be an issue.  So far I see no evidence that the G400s lack stopping power.  I did not gain much distance (this doesn't bother me) but I now hit a lot, lot higher, for the same distances I was hitting before and with more stopping power than I had before.  I rarely spin the ball back - either with my previous Mizuno's or with my new G400s but the short irons stop on a dime.  If you are someone who is used to stopping long irons within a yard or two I don't know if my review /experience with the G400s is helpful because your game must be different than mine.

All I can say is that for me the forgiveness is way better with the G400s.  I am not sure whether I would be considered a low handicapper but I shoot high 70s and low 80s and for me the increased forgiveness is why I got the G400s. I don't think these are high handicapper irons.  To me they look good and the offset is not (to my eye) an issue.  I care more about where the ball goes and hitting good 'bad shots'.  The distance I get with the G400s is much more consistent with off center strikes.  For me the G400s are keepers.
What shaft do you have? I have regular flex Nippon modus tour 105. And recently I've been getting a lot of extra roll. Where as before I didn't see any extra roll. I've tried all different brands of ureathane balls. But still getting extra roll off. I don't think I'm hitting the ball high enough, which to me seems odd. The extra roll is really annoying me. And Im considering  exchanging my Nippon for the xp 95 since I'm still in my 90 day exchange period.
TT XP95s

6

#517 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

View Postlawsonman, on 29 September 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 29 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View Postlawsonman, on 28 September 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostGibsonles, on 28 September 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

What handicap range would people say these clubs are catered towards? I've demoed the 7 iron a few times at a local golf shop, but haven't had a chance to hit any of the long irons.

Anywhere from a 0-30. Not all good players dislike offset.
And there it is.

Am I wrong?

Nope
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Callaway PM 56* SW & 64* LW
Cure RX2 (today)
Currently testing golf balls - TM TP5 in the lead

7

#518 nic19

nic19

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 380934
  • Joined: 06/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 01 October 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

View Postlawsonman, on 29 September 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 29 September 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

View Postlawsonman, on 28 September 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostGibsonles, on 28 September 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

What handicap range would people say these clubs are catered towards? I've demoed the 7 iron a few times at a local golf shop, but haven't had a chance to hit any of the long irons.

Anywhere from a 0-30. Not all good players dislike offset.
And there it is.

Am I wrong?

Nope
no I love the look of mine!

8

#519 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

View Postrhocking, on 20 September 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Loving my new G400s.  White Dot + 1/2inch.  XP-95.

Now I am looking to get some wedges to complement these.  I know that White Dot is 3 degrees upright.  I am going to try wedges from Ping (Glide 2.0) or Cleveland, possibly Vokeys.  If I get wedges from a different manufacturer do I get 3 degrees upright +1/2 inch or is the lie from different manufacturers going to be different than the lie on the G400 irons?

PS I am considering 54 / 58 or possibly 55 (54 bent to 55) and 60.  Not sure I am good enough to worry about 1 degree of difference.

The G400s with XP-95 hit very, very high.  I didn't gain much distance over my previous players iron (Mizuno) but I purposefully wanted the G400s to go high because of concern about spin and stopping power on the greens.  So far I have only played one round and the stopping power was great.  Ball stops within a yard or so on short irons to about 5-7 yards (with long irons).  I am getting much better consistency of strike and more consistent distances with the G400 which is what I expected.  In case it makes a difference, I am a 10-12 HCP and am using Pro-V1.

Whatever wedges you get, consider getting them a bit flatter than you iron set.

The "toe droop" into the hit of a wedge is less than with other clubs for 2 reasons. Your swing speed is less and the shaft is stiffer.

It's been mentioned, and totally believable (and expected ?)  that pros are fit for every club individually.


View PostBeckman4, on 30 September 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

Hey Buddy,
As a lifelong PING fan I've been following this thread closely and reading the G400 reviews. Can you answer one question for me? You say that you didn't have stopping power problems, but then mention that the long irons release 5-7 yards, which to me (as much as ~21 feet) sounds like alot. How does that compare to your previous irons? Do you normally see this type of run out? I know everyone has different swings and some spin more than others, but I'd like to know if that was a big jump from what you played previously.
Thanks!

Wouldn't you expect a long iron (3 or 4 ?) to release after it hits ? I mean the longer the iron the less the angle of descent is and the less the ball is spinning.

Stands to reason that higher lofted and spinning irons would hit and stop and longer ones would release a bit. The longer the iron the more it should release - just have to learn how much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw:

Edited by nsxguy, 01 October 2017 - 10:16 PM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Callaway PM 56* SW & 64* LW
Cure RX2 (today)
Currently testing golf balls - TM TP5 in the lead

9

#520 claytongolfer

claytongolfer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125610
  • Joined: 03/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

I’d love to hear comparison to the latest Mizuno EZ forged model as far as forgiveness, length, feel from someone who has owned both.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#521 JCULL

JCULL

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386954
  • Joined: 07/20/2015
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:rushindman
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

 claytongolfer, on 03 October 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Id love to hear comparison to the latest Mizuno EZ forged model as far as forgiveness, length, feel from someone who has owned both.

I've owned both and no comparison in forgiveness. I really don't think they are as forgiving as they look and to be honest I feel that G400 are also better feeling than the "forged". I didn't get along well with the mizunos that much.
I've played G and now G400 since and have been quite happy.
Ping G LS TEC Purple Oban
Cobra F7 3 wood
Ping G 7 wood
Cobra Utility Iron
Ping G Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 wedges 54,58
Callaway sure out 58
Scotty Cameron M2

11

#522 rlee323

rlee323

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109788
  • Joined: 06/21/2010
  • Location:metro ny
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

I lofted up 1 degree as I don't hit the ball too high.  Using AWT shaft and happy with ball flight.   Still around 1/2 club longer and stopping power is fine.  For higher swing speed and/or high ball hitters, can see how these irons may not spin enough.

12

#523 9woodfan

9woodfan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124629
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:bordercop41
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

I'm looking for spin, launch, and forgiveness. I'm a 14 cap and usually shoot in the high 80's... I have a fitting at Ping HQ on the 17th and I'm interested in either getting into the G400s or perhaps even a set of G/Gmax depending on what works for me.

I've already self-fit myself in my mind in G400 with the XP95 shafts... :-) but I'll see what the stats say after the fitting!

Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec
Wood: PING K15 22*

Hybrids: PING G30 26*

Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
Wedges: Ping Glide 58*
Putter: Ping Karsten TR Anser #5
Work done by Dan's Custom Golf


13

#524 JourdanM

JourdanM

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323095
  • Joined: 06/25/2014
  • Location:Michigan, USA
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

100% g400

14

#525 Golfdoctor

Golfdoctor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73113
  • Joined: 01/18/2009
  • Location:Canton, MI
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

 9woodfan, on 12 October 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm looking for spin, launch, and forgiveness. I'm a 14 cap and usually shoot in the high 80's... I have a fitting at Ping HQ on the 17th and I'm interested in either getting into the G400s or perhaps even a set of G/Gmax depending on what works for me.

I've already self-fit myself in my mind in G400 with the XP95 shafts... :-) but I'll see what the stats say after the fitting!
Go with the Nippon N.S. Pro 105 higher flight and better feel. Ping offers this shaft as a NO up charge in Regular and Stiff flex.


15

#526 9woodfan

9woodfan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124629
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:bordercop41
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Definitely one of those two shafts I think will be the ticket...

Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec
Wood: PING K15 22*

Hybrids: PING G30 26*

Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
Wedges: Ping Glide 58*
Putter: Ping Karsten TR Anser #5
Work done by Dan's Custom Golf


16

#527 Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482578
  • Joined: 09/23/2017
  • Location:Long Island
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

 9woodfan, on 12 October 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm looking for spin, launch, and forgiveness. I'm a 14 cap and usually shoot in the high 80's... I have a fitting at Ping HQ on the 17th and I'm interested in either getting into the G400s or perhaps even a set of G/Gmax depending on what works for me.

I've already self-fit myself in my mind in G400 with the XP95 shafts... :-) but I'll see what the stats say after the fitting!

IMO, going into a fitting with a per-conceived notion of what you want can only hurt you.  Personally, I think that it would make sense for none of the shafts in a fitting bag to be labeled so that the person being fitted knows what they are.  I was away from the game for a long time before coming back this year.  So, I was somewhat lucky when I had my fitting.  I didn't know one shaft from another.  I just knew what felt better when I hit it and what the numbers on the Ping nFlight software said.

I ended up with a very different set of clubs than I would have gotten if I had just picked out a set myself without the benefit of a good fitter.

17

#528 Jrweber77

Jrweber77

    Webz59

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462314
  • Joined: 04/06/2017
  • Location:Calabash, NC
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

I finally went to graphite.  3 shoulder surgeries. 3 knee surgeries with knee replacements coming, 3 blown discs in my back.  Broken elbows and right wrist, glad I did.  Much smoother, no “need to” hit the ball, joints (not talking about the 19th hole) feeling better, really feel pretty good about them.  The stock  Alta CB shafts are soft and friendly.   Works with my chill swing. Robust yet soft, yet very controllable.  Just my 2 cents

18

#529 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2504

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

 9woodfan, on 12 October 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm looking for spin, launch, and forgiveness. I'm a 14 cap and usually shoot in the high 80's... I have a fitting at Ping HQ on the 17th and I'm interested in either getting into the G400s or perhaps even a set of G/Gmax depending on what works for me.

I've already self-fit myself in my mind in G400 with the XP95 shafts... :-) but I'll see what the stats say after the fitting!

Don't overlook the AWT shafts. They have become my favorite. Not that that means anything.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Ping G400 4-UW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

19

#530 1970.gpp

1970.gpp

    Minimalist

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3570
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Illinois
  • Ebay ID:1970.gpp
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

 lawsonman, on 13 October 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

 9woodfan, on 12 October 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm looking for spin, launch, and forgiveness. I'm a 14 cap and usually shoot in the high 80's... I have a fitting at Ping HQ on the 17th and I'm interested in either getting into the G400s or perhaps even a set of G/Gmax depending on what works for me.

I've already self-fit myself in my mind in G400 with the XP95 shafts... :-) but I'll see what the stats say after the fitting!

Don't overlook the AWT shafts. They have become my favorite. Not that that means anything.
The AWT 2.0 shaft is the best shaft that PING has designed since the JZ.  The JZ is the bar by which all other PING shafts are measured in my opinion...

Driver: PING G (10.5) : PING Alta 55 (S)
5-Wood: PING G (17.5) : PING Alta 65 (S)
4-Hybrid: PING G (22) : PING Alta 70 (S)
5-Hybrid: PING G (26) : PING Alta 70 (S)
7-Iron-LW: PING G30 (7-LW) : PING AWT 2.0 (S)
Putter: PING Cadence TR Ketsch (T)
-------------------------- ALTERNATES --------------------------
5-Crossover: PING G (25) : PING AWT 2.0 (S)
Putter: PING Cadence TR Ruslter (H)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#531 spinball

spinball

    Participation Award Winner

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177524
  • Joined: 04/26/2012
  • Location:Washington, MI
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

From Mizuno MP53 to G400
I've been playing the MP53 irons for 7 years and have been looking at new irons for a year. I decided on the G400s and played my first round a few days ago with them. I scored the same as with the MP53s. That says a lot considering this was my first time gaming these irons. I was concerned about the "lower" spin of the G400s, didn't notice that at all. Greens were receptive and I had several shots that hopped once and spun back, just like my Mizunos. Big weight difference for me, but soon got used to it. I did hit some poor shots, but was shocked how well they turned out. The Mizunos definetly let you know when you hit a poor shot. Looking at the offset was a bit weird but I can't say It was changing my typical little draw.
If you're hesitant to try these irons because of other reviews, you shouldn't be. I don't swing like Rick Shields or Crossfield. I have a 90mph driver swing with a lot of spin. The G400s definetly help on those swings you don't flush. Crazy if you don't give these a try.
Driver: Ping G30 LS Tec 9 deg.
3 Wood: Ping G30 13.9 deg.
2 & 3 Hybrid: Adams Idea A12
4-PW: Ping G400
50, 54 & 60 Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11
Putter: Nike IC 20-20
Ball(s): Bridgestone B330-RX and/or Callaway Chrome Soft

21



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors