Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Club Champion or elsewhere?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SatchelRuaz

SatchelRuaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472110
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Former single handicapper that took some time off after college when I jumped into the working world. I have probably played one or two times a year over the last 6-8 years. Still go out throw down an 82 with regularity when using my old wrenches.

My current set up:

Ping ISI Tech 10* Driver
TaylorMade Burner 3W
Nike Pro Combo Irons (3-PW)
52*, 56*, 60* Vokey Oil Can wedges
Scott Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Midslant

Obviously my driver is extremely old, but I can still really strike the thing. However, I have to think I would benefit from technology that isn't about 15 years old. Also, I need to get into something slightly more forgiving in my irons and update the 3 wood. I'm not willing to change the wedges or the putter.

Those things being said, I have been doing some research about getting fitted. Have a friend that recommended Club Champion and just redid his bag with the exception of his driver and putter for $3k. I really don't want to spend that kind of coin.

I have a GolfTec in town, I could also go to Club Champion about 2 hours away or I have a top 100 practice facility five minutes from the house that is also a top 100 fitter. All three would have tracman. Only the practice facility would be able to offer fitting on grass and outside. However, I'm sure they would be far more limited in terms of shaft options and they have several different fitters that specify in certain brands and I don't want to get pushed into something.

Should I go to Club Champion, take advantage of their fit and not buy there? Should I go and buy there because the fitting and club making is that good? Should I use one of the other options. Let me hear what y'all think. Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 25,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12606

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

This is just my personal preference, but I like to see the ball flight when I go for a fitting. Any fitter should have a trackman, and you would either be hitting outside, or inside but hitting out into a range, a la Mark Crossfield.

Any good fitter will simply fit you with what works best, no bias to any brand one way or the other. The fitter I have used in the past has a good selection of shafts, though not as many as Club Champion, and you should be able to find a shaft that fits you even with a "limited" selection. That fitter also uses the Mizuno shaft optimizer. He also won't try to sell me something you don't need, i.e., if a person's old driver works as well, or just about as well, as a new one, he will tell you that and suggest you not get a new driver.

If the place you reference is a top 100 fitter, as mine is, then they should pretty much operate in the same way.

Good luck!
Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50

Callaway Steelhead XR 25º / Matrix Ozik Program F15 HYB 65 S
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway 54/10 MD Forged / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway 58/10 MD PM / UST Recoil ES 460 F

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

#3 JunkerJorge

JunkerJorge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369341
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

I drove to a top 100 fitter. They had a skytrak. No joke. Not sure about those rankings.

#4 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

Recently went through the full CC fitting. Excellent experience but the full recommended setup came to $5200. I love golf but not that much.

I'm taking the data and buying elsewhere.

#5 SatchelRuaz

SatchelRuaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

golfheaven69, on 28 June 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

Recently went through the full CC fitting. Excellent experience but the full recommended setup came to $5200. I love golf but not that much.

My understanding is their shaft selection is incredible. Have you found you're going to have an issue finding the shafts you were recommended elsewhere?

#6 thejuice

thejuice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 536

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

I am a fitter at a retail store but I can tell you that if you have the option to get fit at an outdoor range then do it.  Google is your friend and there is a ton of info between WRX and similar websites that you can use to research shaft options that might not be offered to you at the outdoor range.  You apparently aren't opposed to getting online to find out the best options so don't stop researching after your fitting.  Let them tell you what shafts work best for you.  You can then get from that what TYPE of shaft and WEIGHT works for you.  

Bottom line, there's nothing better than getting fit on real grass!  The turf interaction is almost always great when hitting off of mats.
Srixon Z565 9.5* w/HZRDUS Yellow 65
Srixon F65 15* w/HZRDUS Yellow 75
TEE Beta 2H w/RIP Alpha 80x
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 610
EVNROLL ER-2

Gameball: Vice Pro Soft, Srixon Z Star

#7 daryllwin

daryllwin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470334
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:daryllwin
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

golfheaven69, on 28 June 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

Over 5 grand?? What did they recommend that you get? Or do they charge significantly higher than normal?
2016 Taylormade M2, Kuro Kage 60 X
PRGR TRX-505 3 and 5 wood with stock shafts
Miura Small Blades, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold X100
54/10 SM5, 56 Perry Gear, 60/04 SM4
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No.3

#8 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

thejuice, on 28 June 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

I am a fitter at a retail store ...   Bottom line, there's nothing better than getting fit on real grass!  The turf interaction is almost always great when hitting off of mats.

I'm a former fitter and club maker, and I agree with this 1000%.  Get fit outdoors, preferably on grass.  There is no substitute for hitting to an actual target and seeing the ball flight, even if you have more limited purchase options.  Honestly, fitting irons with steel shafts is no big deal.  Anything with a graphite shaft is a lot more difficult.

Edited by MountainGoat, 28 June 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#9 JDSPGA

JDSPGA

Class A Gateway PGA Bellerive Country Club Callaway Staff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88141
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

SatchelRuaz, on 27 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

I have a GolfTec in town, I could also go to Club Champion about 2 hours away or I have a top 100 practice facility five minutes from the house that is also a top 100 fitter. All three would have tracman. Only the practice facility would be able to offer fitting on grass and outside. However, I'm sure they would be far more limited in terms of shaft options and they have several different fitters that specify in certain brands and I don't want to get pushed into something.

Should I go to Club Champion, take advantage of their fit and not buy there? Should I go and buy there because the fitting and club making is that good? Should I use one of the other options. Let me hear what y'all think. Thanks.

If the fitter you are referring to is Scott Felix. Go to him. He is one of the best in the business and Spring Creek Ranch is an incredible facility. He is well worth the money over Club Champion where you can't even see ball flight.
Callaway Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff

Callaway Epic - Helium Proto 5F5
Callaway Steelhead XR 3W - Helium Proto 6F4
Callaway Steelhead XR 5W - Elements Gold 6F4
Callaway BB OS 4 Hybrid - VTS Silver 85F4
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW - Recoil 110
Callaway MD3 50, 54, PM grind 58 - Recoil Wedge Proto
Odyssey O-Works 2 Ball

Callaway Certified Master Club Fitter

https://www.facebook...freySchultePGA/

#10 SatchelRuaz

SatchelRuaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

JDSPGA, on 28 June 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

If the fitter you are referring to is Scott Felix. Go to him. He is one of the best in the business and Spring Creek Ranch is an incredible facility. He is well worth the money over Club Champion where you can't even see ball flight.

I really wish it was. I looked up facilities and found his, but unfortunately he is in Memphis and I am in Knoxville. It would be a six hour drive to get there. There are a number of cities that are closer to Knoxville than Memphis and that drive is a bear. While his facility looks amazing, I can't bring myself to make that drive to be fit there, which bites because, again, the facility looks top notch.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

IMHO, outdoors is the only way to go.

A few years back, I went with my brother to a CC.  He got fitted for a driver.  They really put my brother through the paces (the fitting was probably 1 1/2 hours).  Of course they had a boatload of shafts but they all were real expensive ones.  I couldn't help but wonder why they did not have some moderately priced shafts (or do we assume all golfers will hit hit a more expensive shaft better? :pimp: )
15 hcp

#12 bladed

bladed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460720
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Definitely get fitted outdoors.  Club Champion is fine but they will for sure "fit" you into their highest margin product and charge you MSRP.  If you do go there, i would highly recommend purchasing the shafts elsewhere.  You can for sure find them if you look hard enough.

#13 JackTheSnack

JackTheSnack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446272
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

I was recently fitted at Club Champion. Was eventually fit into Apex CF 16s with Project X LZ 6.0 shafts. I was quoted $2200 for them to build the set (including pure-ing). Went onto Callaway's website and there is no up-charge for premium shafts. Total came out to around $1200, eventually $875 since they were backordered so far and irons check getting delayed. Club Champion is an awesome fitting service, but the price was at least a thousand dollars more than just buying from Callaway. My brother was fitted at CC a couple weeks after me and was fit into Steelhead XRs with Oban 115 shafts. Callaway doesn't offer these shafts so he would have to buy the pieces and have someone assemble them, but the price was still high. They essentially charge to buy the clubs at full price from the company, shafts, and then labor. Very happy I was fit at CC, but I personally would not consider buying from them.

#14 md1m

md1m

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

My short answer is not Club Champion. Yes, they have an incredible number of shafts, but my experience (two fitting there) is not good. Once I hit 3 good shots in a row with a head, that was "the head", then tried a couple shafts, and when I hit the second one well, that was "the shaft", so there was my combo. Also, hate the indoor fitting on a mat. And they tried to push me into the ridiculously priced clubs that were a "perfect fit". Luckily I took the specs and had them made somewhere else. Shockingly (sarcasm), I don't like the turf interaction of the irons, but invested hundreds, not thousands, on them.
Clubs are fluid

#15 kmak

kmak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2194
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

The only thing I would add is I can't imagine getting irons fitted hitting off anything but grass.  I think the sole - turf interaction is critical to how an iron plays, no matter how good your launch/spin/carry numbers are.

#16 SatchelRuaz

SatchelRuaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

md1m, on 28 June 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

My short answer is not Club Champion. Yes, they have an incredible number of shafts, but my experience (two fitting there) is not good. Once I hit 3 good shots in a row with a head, that was "the head", then tried a couple shafts, and when I hit the second one well, that was "the shaft", so there was my combo. Also, hate the indoor fitting on a mat. And they tried to push me into the ridiculously priced clubs that were a "perfect fit". Luckily I took the specs and had them made somewhere else. Shockingly (sarcasm), I don't like the turf interaction of the irons, but invested hundreds, not thousands, on them.

Would you say the fitting experience was at all valuable? I was considering going and getting fitted there and then taking that info elsewhere.

#17 Orange Hog

Orange Hog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340099
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

I did a full iron fitting at Club Champion in Dallas a couple years back and it was an awesome experience.  The fitter used to be one of the Tour fitters for Adams before TM shut them down.  Got to try a ton of different head/shaft combos on Trackman before we finally ended up with an optimal set up.  The quote he gave me for their build was astronomical so I took the fitting report and specs and ordered through Discount Dans and saved a TON of cash.  Don't ever buy clubs through CC.  They do a phenomenal job fitting but they make their money on marking up equipment.
Driver: Callaway Epic | 9 degrees | Kuro Kage Tini 60 Stiff
Fairway Wood: Callaway GBB | 15 degrees | Fujikura Speeder 661 Tour Spec
Hybrid: Cobra F7 | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75
Irons: Srixon Z 565 (4 & 5 Iron) / Z 765 (5-AW) | Nippon Modus3 Tour 105
Wedges: Vokey SM6 (54 M Grind / 58 TVD K Grind)
Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black 2W

#18 REK3

REK3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478444
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for this post and replies.  I'm in a similar situation.  I was thinking of going to CC for a fitting, but I don't play enough/want to spend top dollar on clubs.

While this is still an option, I also have two other options.  Option 1 is to a Top 100 fitter although indoors.  I've talked with him and it seems like it would be a thorough fitting.  He offers Cobra and Mizuno and I think Wilson.  His fitting prices are good and he does all of the cutting/gripping/bending.  Option 2 would be at an outdoor range, although maybe without a launch monitor.  Clubs would be ordered from the OEM but I think most OEMs are an option.  However, there is a Callaway demo day that I can attend there this weekend.

As a follow-up question, how important is it to try several brands of equipment?  I feel like I will get a good fitting with Option 1, but with only a few head choices.  Or do brands like Cobra/Mizuno/Wilson offer enough options that if I am fitted properly I wouldn't notice a big difference between them and other OEMs, properly fitted.

I was leaning towards attending the Callaway demo day (on grass) and possibly doing the fitting at Option 1 and comparing the experiences.  I'm very similar to the OP, play 2/3 times a month, shoot mid-80s, sometimes low 80s if I putt well.  My clubs are all over 10 years old and were not fitted.

#19 SatchelRuaz

SatchelRuaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

REK3, on 21 September 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Thanks for this post and replies.  I'm in a similar situation.  I was thinking of going to CC for a fitting, but I don't play enough/want to spend top dollar on clubs.

While this is still an option, I also have two other options.  Option 1 is to a Top 100 fitter although indoors.  I've talked with him and it seems like it would be a thorough fitting.  He offers Cobra and Mizuno and I think Wilson.  His fitting prices are good and he does all of the cutting/gripping/bending.  Option 2 would be at an outdoor range, although maybe without a launch monitor.  Clubs would be ordered from the OEM but I think most OEMs are an option.  However, there is a Callaway demo day that I can attend there this weekend.

As a follow-up question, how important is it to try several brands of equipment?  I feel like I will get a good fitting with Option 1, but with only a few head choices.  Or do brands like Cobra/Mizuno/Wilson offer enough options that if I am fitted properly I wouldn't notice a big difference between them and other OEMs, properly fitted.

I was leaning towards attending the Callaway demo day (on grass) and possibly doing the fitting at Option 1 and comparing the experiences.  I'm very similar to the OP, play 2/3 times a month, shoot mid-80s, sometimes low 80s if I putt well.  My clubs are all over 10 years old and were not fitted.

Sorry I didn't see this until today. You definitely need to go somewhere that offers more options than just three manufacturers, especially given some of the largest club manufactures making great innovations are excluded from the list. I never thought I'd be in a Callaway Driver, but the numbers with the Epic were too hard to pass up. You need more options.

Edited by SatchelRuaz, 06 October 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#20 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

It's difficult to get the perfect fitting.  I'd rather go to a fitter that has a wide choice of shafts and fewer oem heads than the reverse.

15 hcp

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors