Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 6 votes

3W vs Driver off the tee

1440 replies to this topic

#1441 Dan Drake

Dan Drake

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82506
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1447

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

View PostMahamilto, on 10 January 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

If 3w is in play vs driver taking penalty... then 3 wood for sure.

If 3w in fairway, vs driver in rough... hit driver.

Like someone else said, this has been extensively measured and the yardage matters more than fairway lie.

This seems over simplified, but holds true on most courses, especially the ones that amateurs play regularly.

Exceptions would be

1) if hitting driver causes you a penalty... then clearly the added distance does you no good

2) if the course or hole puts an errant, but findable, tee shot without a second shot... again, accuracy over distance here.

This would apply to times where there is fescue, trees, or tons of bunkers lining the fairway.

The simple reality is that most people who can’t control their driver at all, probably can’t hit the fairway with 3w at the drop of a hat.

The bad driver shot hurts you less than the possible bad 3 wood shot.

I can’t tell you how many times I decided to play it “safe” and hit 3 wood or iron, only to end up without a ideal look at the flag anyway, and I’m 20 yards further away to boot.

And to be honest, I’m a 10HCP and long game is one of the better parts of my game.

So if it’s fairway 3w vs driver in rough...
Choice is clear.

Not advocating stupid play, but pay attention to your own game, and realize that if both clubs give you a look at the flag, the distance matters most in 95% of situations.

This is a really good post, thank you mahamilto!

Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
Rogue 15° w/Rogue Max
X Forged UT 18° & 22° w/PX
X Forged 5-A w/PX
MD4 50° W, 54° W, & PM Grind 58° w/DG
Odyssey #1
Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users