Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

216 replies to this topic

#211 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:53 PM

Don't most of you guys have miles in a frequent flier program?

An obvious tip for those in the hobby, but there is a concept called "churning" which is signing up for CC's for the signup bonus (have to hit minimum spend over x number of months) for a certain airline or hotel program and then cancelling them at the anniversary before the annual fee hits your account. I do this every few years, however some are doing this constantly and monitoring how long til they can sign up for the card they cancelled 2 years ago and still get the signup bonus.  It is a tremendous opportunity to collect miles cheaply to redeem for trips such as those mentioned above.  I post on flyertalk dot com for the last 10 years or so and is the bible for all things miles/points.

If you are really industrious you can get into "manufactured spend" to hit your cc sign up min. spend requirement and I'll leave those details out for now since it is "creative" to say the least.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#212 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 24533

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

Domestically I fly Southwest on 99% of my trips. Since they don't fly to Europe, my accumulated points are useless.

It looks like I'm going to book American Airlines to Glasgow. Their flights are ~$300 cheaper than flying into Edinburgh, at the expense of an extra 50 minutes on the train to St Andrews. It'll be ~$100 more than Icelandair, but I like the fact that there are many more flights each day in case my plans change slightly. Icelandair only has 1 flight a day from Chicago to/from Glasgow.

Sorry for all the nitty gritty details. I think as a general rule golfers must pay attention to the aircraft used by the airlines on each segment. Many are now using small regional aircraft, and traveling with golf clubs and a normal sized suitcase may not be allowed. Yeah, I'm talking to you Aer Lingus.

#213 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 744

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 27 November 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Domestically I fly Southwest on 99% of my trips. Since they don't fly to Europe, my accumulated points are useless.

It looks like I'm going to book American Airlines to Glasgow. Their flights are ~$300 cheaper than flying into Edinburgh, at the expense of an extra 50 minutes on the train to St Andrews. It'll be ~$100 more than Icelandair, but I like the fact that there are many more flights each day in case my plans change slightly. Icelandair only has 1 flight a day from Chicago to/from Glasgow.

Sorry for all the nitty gritty details. I think as a general rule golfers must pay attention to the aircraft used by the airlines on each segment. Many are now using small regional aircraft, and traveling with golf clubs and a normal sized suitcase may not be allowed. Yeah, I'm talking to you Aer Lingus.
I travel on small regional aircraft all of the time with golf clubs and have never heard of this being an issue.

#214 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Happy Holidays!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 12287

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

I just like the way Aer Lingus rolls off the tongue.
"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

#215 duffer987

duffer987

VOTE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 6800

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:52 PM

View Postaz2au, on 27 November 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 27 November 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

I travel on small regional aircraft all of the time with golf clubs and have never heard of this being an issue.
I'm assuming he's talking about Aer Arann prop planes and their T&Cs. Think 'many are now using...' is hyperbole, as like yourself I've never had an issues.
Think flying a specific pokey airline (which is why they should be avoided) can be the issue regardless of the scenario.

Edit: So I'm a few years behind, they're Stobart Air now.

Edited by duffer987, 27 November 2018 - 11:56 PM.

#216 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:09 AM

It's not an issue with the golf clubs, but the policy of one checked bag and one carry-on with the Stobart Air planes. The clubs can be checked, but the carry-on is restricted to a 14" suitcase. I'm a big guy, and there's no way I can travel to Europe for a week using a 14" suitcase. A 21" carry-on would be barely sufficient.

Edited by Argonne69, 28 November 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#217 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 18,131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

I procrastinated on booking the flight, and was lucky to find a British Airways flight for $775 round-trip to Glasgow (through London) that includes seat assignments. 'Saved $300. It gets into Glasgow a few hours later that I originally planned, but (hopefully) still early enough to catch the train to St Andrews and arrive before dinner/supper. The first day (Sunday) was going to be a lost travel day anyway. I'm planning to play Monday through Friday, and then head to Glasgow on Friday afternoon for the flight back on Saturday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors