Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fox Sports Update

I dont need nor want updates

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22931
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Ok, I have a Tivo with 6 tuners and various electronic devices at my beck and call. At any time of the day or night I'm recording golf - men's and women's, soccer, NFL, NBA, blah blah blah depending on the time of year. I'm doing this recording so I can watch the programs at my leisure when I want. Surely I am not alone in this pursuit.

Why in the world do I want Fox Sports/CBS Sports/NBC Sports/Golf Channel updates to spoil the day by telling me the results of an event I'm going to watch later? For that matter, why do sports channels insist on running that crawler at the bottom of the screen with scores from other events?

I tune into any particular channel - live or on Tivo - to watch what is on that channel - not to know what is going on on another channel. If I care at all, I'm recording that to watch later!!!

I just don't understand the thinking of the person(s) deciding that in this day and age we still need these updates and crawlers. Get over it. We can manage all that information on our own. Spend your time and money making your program better.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 nix

nix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Handicap:21.0
GolfWRX Likes : 468

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Amen. The crawl is the worst thing in television.

#3 sprcoop

sprcoop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114540
  • Handicap:17.7
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

How many ways can a recorded sporting event be spoiled?  Let me count the ways:

1. Innocent sports enthusiast blurts out a final result.
2. Not so innocent sports enthusiast blurts out a final result.  I was golfing while recording the Masters on Sunday this year.  Standing on tee box of #11 some asshat yells out of a passing car "(Players Name) wins it!!!".  (I didn't want to put in a spoiler in case someone had not gotten around to watching it.)  You can't unring that bell.
3. News update radio or TV heard randomly.  Doh!
4. Email news update subject you read before realizing it.  OK, delete that recording.
5. Web page headline also consumed that you didn't want to know.  Thanks, if I wanted to know I would have looked it up.
6. YouTube comment displaying the outcome (this is how I keep up with bowling since I don't get ESPN, don't laugh).  Get a clue!!!  Uncool!
7. My favorite, but very specific.  I used to watch The Big Break episodes on golfchannel.com.  They would actually put information on the page you went to for watching that would tell you the outcome "Brent takes down Carly in the final!" or some other stupid spoiler.

I even wrote an email to complain but strangely enough never got a reply.  I quickly learned to put my hand over the screen so I could start the video without spoiling it.

Rant over.

#4 Loki

Loki

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 267220
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, I have learned that the radio stations don't care.  They have said as much on the air.  You need to learn to tune things out.

#5 goondawg

goondawg

RIP my buddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36279
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostRedhaze737, on 19 June 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Ok, I have a Tivo with 6 tuners and various electronic devices at my beck and call. At any time of the day or night I'm recording golf - men's and women's, soccer, NFL, NBA, blah blah blah depending on the time of year. I'm doing this recording so I can watch the programs at my leisure when I want. Surely I am not alone in this pursuit.

Why in the world do I want Fox Sports/CBS Sports/NBC Sports/Golf Channel updates to spoil the day by telling me the results of an event I'm going to watch later? For that matter, why do sports channels insist on running that crawler at the bottom of the screen with scores from other events?

I tune into any particular channel - live or on Tivo - to watch what is on that channel - not to know what is going on on another channel. If I care at all, I'm recording that to watch later!!!

I just don't understand the thinking of the person(s) deciding that in this day and age we still need these updates and crawlers. Get over it. We can manage all that information on our own. Spend your time and money making your program better.

World doesn't revolve around you. Deal with it

#6 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2494

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

It's a news/sports network.  It's what they do.  Time shifting is your choice, most watch it live.
Callaway Epic Driver
TA 845s irons 3-pw (2001 polished)
Titleist Vokey 58
Cleveland HB 6C putter

#7 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3104

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

Because it's their job to report Sports News ... "scores" count as news.

Perhaps you should just put down your cell phone, ignore the world of current news and just use one of your 6 Tuners, so you can focus on yesterday's news?

#8 b.helts

b.helts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100214
GolfWRX Likes : 1916

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

It's a conspiracy among the cabal of broadcast stations for the sole purpose of encouraging people to watch live to ....... <gasp> watch the ads companies pay for!

The horror!

#9 ckay

ckay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14808
GolfWRX Likes : 814

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Is this serious?
Taylormade M1 430 10.5* Rogue 125 60 TX
Taylormade SLDR 15* Rogue Black 110 80 TX
Taylormade R15 TP 3 Hybrid Fujikura 869 Tour Spec X
Miura CB57 KBS 130x
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

#10 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Tour Winner

• 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostBMC, on 19 June 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

It's a news/sports network.  It's what they do.  Time shifting is your choice, most watch it live.

Do they really? I would be interested to know how many people watch these events live. I live in Hawaii so the time zone issue comes into play. Getting up at 5 AM to watch the US Open is not what I want to do. DVRing and skipping the commercials seems like a good idea to me. But for the rest of you, do you watch these events live with commercials and all? How about NFL, NBA? Do you watch live? I don't know. I've lived over here in a grass shack for over 40 years so I really don't know.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Tour Winner

• 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:06 AM

View PostBrianL99, on 19 June 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Because it's their job to report Sports News ... "scores" count as news.

Perhaps you should just put down your cell phone, ignore the world of current news and just use one of your 6 Tuners, so you can focus on yesterday's news?

Yeah, I watch current events/news on the DVR too. Once again skipping the commercials and making the program shorter so I can watch something else on my DVR. The cell phone is only for calls. I have an iPad for looking at current news events.  Your post makes no sense, but thanks for your input.

So you like the crawler and the Sports updates from the channels?

View Postckay, on 19 June 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Is this serious?

How can it be serious? I'm asking for opinions on the sports update. Do you have an opinion?

#12 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Tour Winner

• 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:10 AM

View Postgoondawg, on 19 June 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

What?!? You're kidding. Really? Well then that's the problem. I'm dealing with it by asking for opinions of what other people think of it. Do you have an opinion? Other than the pithy "Deal with it"? Do you like the updates giving scores. Do you not DVR sporting events? Do you watch everything live? Do you like the crawler giving you scores of other sporting events happening on other channels? Just friendly conversation. What do you think?

#13 RobertBaron

RobertBaron

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348489
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

View Postb.helts, on 19 June 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

It's a conspiracy among the cabal of broadcast stations for the sole purpose of encouraging people to watch live to ....... <gasp> watch the ads companies pay for!

The horror!

It isn't really a conspiracy. Live sports are pretty much the only moneymakers for free TV these days as they're the only broadcasts where millions of people still watch commercials. They have every reason to make DVR watching of sports unenticing. A crawl is a great "unobtrusive" way of doing this.

#14 b.helts

b.helts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100214
GolfWRX Likes : 1916

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

View PostRobertBaron, on 20 June 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

View Postb.helts, on 19 June 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

The horror!

It isn't really a conspiracy. Live sports are pretty much the only moneymakers for free TV these days as they're the only broadcasts where millions of people still watch commercials. They have every reason to make DVR watching of sports unenticing. A crawl is a great "unobtrusive" way of doing this.

Yep. You made the point with clarity that I tried to make with silliness.

You nailed it!

Edited by b.helts, 20 June 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#15 Potatohead

Potatohead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124789
  • Ebay ID:n8s_stang
GolfWRX Likes : 676

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

I virtually never watch sports live, I typically try and give enough head start that I can skip through the crap and catch the end virtually live. I almost never wait until next day though because you're almost sure to find out what happened.

#16 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3104

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:27 AM

View PostRedhaze737, on 20 June 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

View Postgoondawg, on 19 June 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

What?!? You're kidding. Really? Well then that's the problem. I'm dealing with it by asking for opinions of what other people think of it. Do you have an opinion? Other than the pithy "Deal with it"? Do you like the updates giving scores. Do you not DVR sporting events? Do you watch everything live? Do you like the crawler giving you scores of other sporting events happening on other channels? Just friendly conversation. What do you think?

I think you should move.

Suggesting the news not provide game scores, is ludicrous.

Next time there's a terrorist attack in Hawaii, should the news quarantine the news, until the East Coast wakes up?

#17 nix

nix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Handicap:21.0
GolfWRX Likes : 468

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm not against the crawl because it spoils the results, but rather because it is unecessary and annoying. I want to watch sports, not flying words across a screen.

#18 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Tour Winner

• 557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

[quote name='RobertBaron' timestamp='1497939169' post='15730910']
[quote name='b.helts' timestamp='1497919317' post='15729356']

The horror!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, i hadn't thought of it that way. Follow the money right? Ah well, I'll just continue FFing thru the updates and keep putting the blue painter's tape across the bottom of my TV if it's really important that I not see the crawler.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1497954435' post='15731118']
[quote name='Redhaze737' timestamp='1497939041' post='15730906']
[quote name='goondawg ' timestamp='1497918044' post='15729212']
[quote name='Redhaze737' timestamp='1497902128' post='15727638']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you should move.

Suggesting the news not provide game scores, is ludicrous.

Next time there's a terrorist attack in Hawaii, should the news quarantine the news, until the East Coast wakes up?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's almost the same thing..........

#19 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

View PostPotatohead, on 20 June 2017 - 01:32 AM, said:

I virtually never watch sports live, I typically try and give enough head start that I can skip through the crap and catch the end virtually live. I almost never wait until next day though because you're almost sure to find out what happened.

I do the same thing, but I made a big mistake during the US Open.  While I was watching the broadcast, I was about an hour behind real time.  I literally forgot I was watching on tape and took the opportunity during a commercial to check some of the discussion here on the forum.  A lot of people were congratulating Hideki!  I figured there must have been a miraculous finish and he won.  I surprised me when I went back to the broadcast as saw Koepka sinking putts, eventually winning the tournament.

#20 ray9898

ray9898

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419990
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

LOL....the 'outrages' that are posted on this site.

The vast majority of people watch sports live and the results of those events is news.  That is what the media does.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 HighSpeedScene

HighSpeedScene

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257804
GolfWRX Likes : 2155

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

One thing I don't understand - if knowing the result ruins the event, why watch the whole thing via any medium?  You only care about the last five minutes apparently.

#22 OBbogey5

OBbogey5

Falconer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118200
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

View Postsprcoop, on 19 June 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

How many ways can a recorded sporting event be spoiled?  Let me count the ways:

1. Innocent sports enthusiast blurts out a final result.
2. Not so innocent sports enthusiast blurts out a final result.  I was golfing while recording the Masters on Sunday this year.  Standing on tee box of #11 some asshat yells out of a passing car "(Players Name) wins it!!!".  (I didn't want to put in a spoiler in case someone had not gotten around to watching it.)  You can't unring that bell.
3. News update radio or TV heard randomly.  Doh!
4. Email news update subject you read before realizing it.  OK, delete that recording.
5. Web page headline also consumed that you didn't want to know.  Thanks, if I wanted to know I would have looked it up.
6. YouTube comment displaying the outcome (this is how I keep up with bowling since I don't get ESPN, don't laugh).  Get a clue!!!  Uncool!
7. My favorite, but very specific.  I used to watch The Big Break episodes on golfchannel.com.  They would actually put information on the page you went to for watching that would tell you the outcome "Brent takes down Carly in the final!" or some other stupid spoiler.

I even wrote an email to complain but strangely enough never got a reply.  I quickly learned to put my hand over the screen so I could start the video without spoiling it.

Rant over.

Ohhh Great.....Thanks a lot.....I had that TiVo'd :aggressive:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors