Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Adult Heads with Junior Shafts


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
  • Joined: 06/17/2017
  • Location:Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

I've read a lot on here regarding the use of Flynn Golf shafts and adapters on OEM heads.  My question is this:  Does it really help?  For example, I have a 9-year old that's a very good player and is dying for an EPIC.  If I put an EPIC head on a Flynn Golf shaft, what is the difference I can expect when compared to my son's current US Kids Tour Series Driver?  He carries his USKG driver 140 currently.  Is it reasonable to expect that to increase?  If so, by how much?  10 yards?  More?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#2 Bye90s

Bye90s

    Newbie

  • Unregistered
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471842
  • Joined: 06/19/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

When my daughter was testing clubs for about 2 weeks she played with a set of clubs that had a junior shaft with ping heads it gave her a solid 30-50 extra yards.That also includes my daughter growing too though. It all depends.

2

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

US Kids woods are awful.  He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

3

#4 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

I have gotten shafts from Mike at Flynn golf and putt them on adults heads and they worked fine. My son is 11 and has been hitting an adult head for sometime now and there is a big difference in distance between that and a typical junior head like US Kids. I have started getting senior shafts in his clubs and then I cut them down to fit his height. My son hasn't had any issues with the senior flex shaft and he by no means is a long hitter. The only thing his coach pointed out was that cutting the club down significantly lowers the swing weight so he put some lead tape on the bottom of his driver. This gives the head a little more weight and thus some more pop on the drives.

4

#5 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
  • Joined: 06/17/2017
  • Location:Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 20 June 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

US Kids woods are awful.  He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

So, a follow up or two.  First, are the Flynn shafts the one's y'all would recommend if going this route?  And second, regarding length of the club--I was going to use US Kids club lengths when determining how long to make the driver.  He's currently 52" tall and the US Kids Driver length for 51" is 34 inches.  The US Kids Driver length for 54" is 36 inches.  Seems as though it may make sense to have it built to 36 inches?  Maybe a skosh long right now, but not too much and gives room to grow into?


5

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 20 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 20 June 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

US Kids woods are awful.  He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

So, a follow up or two.  First, are the Flynn shafts the one's y'all would recommend if going this route?  And second, regarding length of the club--I was going to use US Kids club lengths when determining how long to make the driver.  He's currently 52" tall and the US Kids Driver length for 51" is 34 inches.  The US Kids Driver length for 54" is 36 inches.  Seems as though it may make sense to have it built to 36 inches?  Maybe a skosh long right now, but not too much and gives room to grow into?

You are on the right page.  I would either do the Flynn or get a senior shaft depending on how big of a hitter he is.  You won't go wrong putting him in the Flynn.  I would build it at 35".  When he grows just put an extension on it.

6

#7 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
  • Joined: 06/17/2017
  • Location:Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 20 June 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 20 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 20 June 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

US Kids woods are awful.  He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

So, a follow up or two.  First, are the Flynn shafts the one's y'all would recommend if going this route?  And second, regarding length of the club--I was going to use US Kids club lengths when determining how long to make the driver.  He's currently 52" tall and the US Kids Driver length for 51" is 34 inches.  The US Kids Driver length for 54" is 36 inches.  Seems as though it may make sense to have it built to 36 inches?  Maybe a skosh long right now, but not too much and gives room to grow into?

You are on the right page.  I would either do the Flynn or get a senior shaft depending on how big of a hitter he is.  You won't go wrong putting him in the Flynn.  I would build it at 35".  When he grows just put an extension on it.

Final question (I Hope)--the US Kids driver is 14 degree loft.  I'm assuming I don't want to put him into a 9 or 10.5 degree?  There's a 13.5 that I've been looking at.  And regarding the senior shaft thing, my son's club head speed is about 70 (was 66 a couple of months ago--trying to give him some credit for improving).  My gut is he's not quite there for senior shafts?

7

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 20 June 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 20 June 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostPinewood Golfer, on 20 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 20 June 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

US Kids woods are awful.  He will pick up at least 10 yards with an adult driver.

So, a follow up or two.  First, are the Flynn shafts the one's y'all would recommend if going this route?  And second, regarding length of the club--I was going to use US Kids club lengths when determining how long to make the driver.  He's currently 52" tall and the US Kids Driver length for 51" is 34 inches.  The US Kids Driver length for 54" is 36 inches.  Seems as though it may make sense to have it built to 36 inches?  Maybe a skosh long right now, but not too much and gives room to grow into?

You are on the right page.  I would either do the Flynn or get a senior shaft depending on how big of a hitter he is.  You won't go wrong putting him in the Flynn.  I would build it at 35".  When he grows just put an extension on it.

Final question (I Hope)--the US Kids driver is 14 degree loft.  I'm assuming I don't want to put him into a 9 or 10.5 degree?  There's a 13.5 that I've been looking at.  And regarding the senior shaft thing, my son's club head speed is about 70 (was 66 a couple of months ago--trying to give him some credit for improving).  My gut is he's not quite there for senior shafts?

Nope.  Not quite there for senior shaft.  

I would get him an adjustable driver and put it on the highest loft.  My kid hits his driver on average 221 with a swing speed of 92.  I have his loft at 11.5.

8

#9 redraider2k

redraider2k

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48965
  • Joined: 02/15/2008
  • Location:Tomball, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

My son has been playing an orange Cobra Biocell driver (14) for the last 2 years.  We keep replacing the shaft with an orange Flynn as he grows.  He calls the driver Orange Crush.

Last week I found a good deal on a new ladies Taylormade R15. It was too good to pass up. He is going to try it with the stock shaft, but we may end up adding a Flynn.

9

#10 propredicr

propredicr

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
  • Joined: 06/01/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

My son is also 52" and went through three iron sets this past year.   Was getting whippy with the US Kids TS 54" graphites, so, put him into the 57" US Kids TS with steel shafts.  He chokes down, to no ill effects.  Much better tempo, dispersion, and 10 yards extra per club.  

Like HH said above, get a fully adjustable head and find a nice shaft.  I bought a Cobra F6+ and threw in a Fujikura Vista Pro 45@ R3 flex (Ladies).   Maxed loft at 12 degrees (shaft plays 39")and Neutral weight setting can pop it out 200.  Average 185.

Qualified for IMG Worlds with this set up, so, I'm sticking with them for a awhile 😝.

Good luck!

Edited by propredicr, 20 June 2017 - 03:17 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#11 MPG

MPG

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52140
  • Joined: 03/24/2008
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

View Postredraider2k, on 20 June 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

My son has been playing an orange Cobra Biocell driver (14°) for the last 2 years.  We keep replacing the shaft with an orange Flynn as he grows.  He calls the driver Orange Crush.

Last week I found a good deal on a new ladies Taylormade R15. It was too good to pass up. He is going to try it with the stock shaft, but we may end up adding a Flynn.

This is really funny.  My son was using the same exact driver and I got the orange Flynn shaft and grip installed for him.  He called it the Orange Crush and used it for almost two seasons.   He always got comments from other competitors and fathers about that driver (very orange).     After talking with Mike Flynn over the phone; my son is currently playing a Flynn driver (14*) and this driver gave him approximately 15-20 yards consistently over the Bio Cell.

Right now he is playing the Flynn orange shaft and grip with a black Flynn driver.  I wanted to get another Flynn shaft and put it into my 2016 M2 head for my son but the loft will not be high enough for him.    I keep looking for a higher lofted driver but I think he is hitting the max at the moment with the Flynn.   It is a very good driver head for him.
Driver: TaylorMade M1 440 (10.75*) - Paderson D30
Fairway: M1 2017 M1 3wd (15.75*) - Paderson F40
Fairway: TM 2017 M1 5wd (19.25*) - Paderson F40
Utility: Srixon U65 20* - AD DI 95x
Utility: Srixon U65 23* - Project x LZ 5.5
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - Project x LZ 5.5
Wedges: Mizuno T7 - Project x LZ 5.5
Putter: TM Spider (DJ - Tour Black version) 34"

11

#12 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1246

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

My kid has been using Flynn shafts for some time now and they are awesome.  So far, this has been the best set up yet.  Flynn shaft paired with the M2- Dtype. 10.5* set to highest loft.

Attached File  IMG_3777.JPG   118.06K   11 downloads

12

#13 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
  • Joined: 06/17/2017
  • Location:Mississippi
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Funny that I post this and then, today, on his tee shot on the 3rd hole of a tournament in which he's playing, this happens--at impact. What were you saying, Heavy Hitter?  In fairness, USKG replaced it with rush shipping so it gets here in time for Tuesday's Drive, Chip & Putt

Attached Files


Edited by Pinewood Golfer, 21 June 2017 - 08:37 PM.


13

#14 MikekiM

MikekiM

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
  • Joined: 03/15/2016
  • Location:San Diego, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Have used the USK driver previously with my son, and going to an adult driver gained him about 15-20 yards.  Firs we used a Wilson Staff D200 with a ladies shaft, but then went to the M2 with a Flynn shaft and he loves it.
The one thing I noticed in my playing with these clubs is that a senior shaft is a little thicker than a ladies shaft or the Flynn shafts, so it's much more difficult to get a junior grip on, like the Winn Jr. grips we use.  For that reason alone we're still avoiding senior flex shafts.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors