Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

No rain checks?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 syenkoc

syenkoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106001
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

We played this past Saturday and ran into what I consider a dumb situation. The AM forecast called for a 30% chance of showers, so my buddy and I decided to chance it (we both hate playing in the rain). We get through 4 holes and the skies open up - this was downpour, not a passing shower. We hoofed it back the clubhouse to wait it out. Checking the radar, we can see it's going to take a long time to pass; and in the meantime, the greens, tee boxes, and even fairways are starting to flood. Clearly, it's going to be a while before the rain stops and everything drains.

So we go down the pro shop to ask for a rain check. The guy says, "We don't issue rain checks. It's play at your own risk. You have access to the same forecast as us." Turns out, the guys behind us were also going to ask for a rain check, and one asks when we can get back out. And the pro shop guy says, "Not for several hours, and we might have to close the course due to flooding." This seems ridiculous to me - no rain checks AND you can't go back out?

I go outside to take a peek at the weather, and see the head pro. I ask him about the policy - just to make sure that the guy in the pro shop wasn't confused. He confirms - the course does not issue rain checks and that "you are free to take your business elsewhere, Junior." This sets me off a little bit, since we can neither keep playing NOR get a refund, and I tell him this is totally ridiculous set of policies. No response - he just walks inside.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this? I can understand if it is a private course where there are no daily fees, but this seems utterly ridiculous for a public course.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 klebs01

klebs01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107880
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Seems reasonable to me. Never understood why people feel entitled to a rain check because they didn't like the weather. I've never even thought about asking for one. Rain, snow, sleet  whatever, I chose to play. I could look at the forecast before I went there.

#3 VNutz

VNutz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
GolfWRX Likes : 2254

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

I always thought it was at your own risk and any place giving rain checks was a bonus or going above and beyond, not a given.

#4 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3133

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'd be willing to bet the HP didn't make the policy and is tired of enforcing it on behalf of absentee owners so his response of just walking inside is normal.  The policy itself, while not unheard of, is indeed out of the ordinary for a course closure. Players should not, imo, get a raincheck when they choose to stop playing for whatever reason. But if a course closes they owe you the prorated raincheck.

#5 nix

nix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Handicap:21.0
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

I'd make sure that the internet and local golfers are aware of the policy and the treatment you received and I'd take my money elsewhere.

#6 Ping Zings

Ping Zings

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128178
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

O.P. what is the name of this course?
Posted Image

#7 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 1734

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

No rain checks when they tell you that you can't go back out? Total BS. I'd take the pros advice and take my $$s elsewhere. Also post a well written, but critical review of the course on Google, Yelp etc. People need to understand that they have this policy.

#8 syenkoc

syenkoc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106001
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostPing Zings, on 19 June 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

O.P. what is the name of this course?

Fox Hollow in Branchburg Township, NJ. Last time we or I ever play there.

(Usually we go out to Bethpage State Park - where they will issue rain checks! - but my buddy had a hard stop at 1:30PM. I already used my Black tee time, so we'd have been walk-ups with no guarantee of finishing on time.)

#9 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

This sounds like a course that's financially strapped. Most courses in my area will give you a nine hole rain check if you're still on the front and nothing if you have made the turn.

#10 md1m

md1m

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

If there's a chance of rain I always call and ask what the rain check policy is. If they are one of the few courses that says "no rain checks", I will take my business elsewhere. I love playing when it's cool and there's a chance of rain, so if they issue rain checks I'll go play without worrying about it.

Clubs are fluid

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
GolfWRX Likes : 312

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

I'm ok with a "no rain check" policy but only if you have the option to play in the rain.  If they are closing the course, you should get a refund.

#12 gotaholen1

gotaholen1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 377778
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:gotaholen1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

If they closed the course or sounded the horn to pull you off the course, I would think that you would be legally entitled to some sort of compensation in most states.

#13 spineshank

spineshank

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138420
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:gnrslash4life
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

View Postbigmoneyp, on 19 June 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

I'm ok with a "no rain check" policy but only if you have the option to play in the rain.  If they are closing the course, you should get a refund.

This.
Ping G400 LST 10*
Taylormade M2 15*
Callaway Apex 20*
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-PW
Cleveland 588 wedges 50* | 54* | 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic

#14 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,040 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
GolfWRX Likes : 441

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

If you paid by credit card, you might want to dispute the charge. You did not receive what you paid for and they did not provide you the opportunity to get it.
Callaway Epic 10.5 driver w/ Project X LZ50 Handcrafted 5.0
Callaway Epic 3 wood w/ Project X LZ60 Handcrafted 5.5
Callaway Epic 5 wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 Regular
Callaway Epic 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ 95 5.5 Softstepped
Callaway MD Forged 56, 60 Slate w/ Project X LZ 5.5
Odyssey O-Works #1 Wide
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

#15 GTgolf

GTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostTM_HOYER, on 21 June 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

If you paid by credit card, you might want to dispute the charge. You did not receive what you paid for and they did not provide you the opportunity to get it.

This. Call your bank and cancel the charge.

Then go blast those losers online via reviews.

#16 TerpFangolfer

TerpFangolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292881
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

View Postnix, on 19 June 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

I'd make sure that the internet and local golfers are aware of the policy and the treatment you received and I'd take my money elsewhere.

agree 100% - this is such as short-sighted policy.
You weren't asking for your money back - they already have your cash. What's it really going to hurt them to let you come back out another day - vs. the bad publicity/loss of business
Plus as with many "freebies" a certain % of people are never even going to come cash that in anyway...
TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4  54-8  & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

#17 Mr. Herbert

Mr. Herbert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77823
  • Handicap:Gin
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Pretty sure Fox Hollow used to be private, but started accepting public play begrudgingly. I think they would still prefer to be private, and don't really care if you come back again or not. Especially since they already have your money.

#18 herdman

herdman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134989
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

View Postsyenkoc, on 19 June 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

We played this past Saturday and ran into what I consider a dumb situation. The AM forecast called for a 30% chance of showers, so my buddy and I decided to chance it (we both hate playing in the rain). We get through 4 holes and the skies open up - this was downpour, not a passing shower. We hoofed it back the clubhouse to wait it out. Checking the radar, we can see it's going to take a long time to pass; and in the meantime, the greens, tee boxes, and even fairways are starting to flood. Clearly, it's going to be a while before the rain stops and everything drains.

So we go down the pro shop to ask for a rain check. The guy says, "We don't issue rain checks. It's play at your own risk. You have access to the same forecast as us." Turns out, the guys behind us were also going to ask for a rain check, and one asks when we can get back out. And the pro shop guy says, "Not for several hours, and we might have to close the course due to flooding." This seems ridiculous to me - no rain checks AND you can't go back out?

I go outside to take a peek at the weather, and see the head pro. I ask him about the policy - just to make sure that the guy in the pro shop wasn't confused. He confirms - the course does not issue rain checks and that "you are free to take your business elsewhere, Junior." This sets me off a little bit, since we can neither keep playing NOR get a refund, and I tell him this is totally ridiculous set of policies. No response - he just walks inside.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this? I can understand if it is a private course where there are no daily fees, but this seems utterly ridiculous for a public course.

I would have said hand me the keys to the cart pal. I am going to go play. hahahaaa

That is a terrible policy and bad customer service.

Edited by herdman, 26 June 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#19 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1439

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

View PostMr. Herbert, on 22 June 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Pretty sure Fox Hollow used to be private, but started accepting public play begrudgingly. I think they would still prefer to be private, and don't really care if you come back again or not. Especially since they already have your money.

Yup. I went there last year but got lost trying to find it.  It was too late to play so I wanted to use the range and they wouldn't let me.  Said the range was only for members unless you paid a green's fee.

But almost every course in NJ that I've played has a no rain check policy.  Some courses are cool about it and ask like 3 times, "There's no rain checks.  Are you sure you want to go out??"  One course gave us the twilight rate because it looked like rain.

#20 finleysg

finleysg

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417906
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 499

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Made a tee time at Como in St. Paul last weekend. The day before, the forecast showed possible rain, and I received this email:

"Weather is undependable.  It’s unpredictable.  It’s unstoppable.  Weather and golf sometimes don’t go together.  But, at Como and Phalen golf courses, the weather shouldn’t worry you one darn bit with our Weather Guarantee!  Here’s the deal: If you quit playing due to inclement weather anytime during your round, we will issue you a rain check for 100% of your round and cart purchase to be used at a future date.  Take that Mother Nature!"

I've now seen that policy at several golf courses in my area.

Nice!

D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
3W: Exotics E8 Beta - Aldila Rogue 110
3 - Ping Crossover
Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50, 56 (F), 60 (M)
Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 ArtMBgolf

ArtMBgolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476646
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

I have seen courses with no rainchecks.   That is lazy and rude.  It hurts their business in the long run.  

Golfers don't play on iffy days or don't come back after being rained out after a few holes.  
Most courses give a raincheck IE less than 4 holes, 18 hole RC, 4-9 holes, 9 hole RC, more than 9 holes no RC.

#22 ratdg1

ratdg1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274359
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

View Postsyenkoc, on 19 June 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

Did they pull you off the course, or did you decide to go back to the clubhouse on your own?  Every course I've ever played has a disclaimer either in the pro shop or on their website that they won't issue rain checks or refunds unless the course is closed due to weather.

And did they say that the group behind you couldn't go out due to the weather, or because they forfeited their position by walking off?

Edited by ratdg1, 28 July 2017 - 11:22 AM.

Ping G25 9.5*
Titleist 910F 3w
Titleist 910H
Maltby MMB-17
Cleveland 588 Rtx 52*, 56*
Bettinardi BB54 Tour Proto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors