Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Grip Tape Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cgmorri

Cgmorri

Golfmorr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218381
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

Will painter's tape, used for trimming, work as bottom layer(s) when applying more than one layer of tape?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 4595

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

Yes.  It's generally not as thick as using multiple layers of double sided or some of the thicker build up tape - but it matches fairly closely to other build up tape.   So depending on what you were using before, you may need more layers to get the same size.

#3 iceman666

iceman666

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142587
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

The short answer:  YES.  NEVER regrip without it.

A longer answer:  I have been regripping my clubs for years (after watching a few youtube "do-it yourself" videos).  I have long fingers and use jumbo grips in conjunction with multiple layers of grip tape to get the desired grip thickness.  As a result, the process of removing the old layers of grip tape use to be be really labor intensive, until I read a post on this site by a few people recommending the use of painter's tape as a base layer.

After that, I began using 3M painter's tape as a base layer.  As the other post indicated, painter's tape is slightly thinner (so you should adjust the numbers accordingly), but the primary benefit (once you add all of the necessary layers of double-sided grip tape) is the ease of removal down the road.  

Now I never regrip a club without it.

Hope that helps.

#4 4Par

4Par

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125860
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

View Posticeman666, on 19 June 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

A longer answer:  I have been regripping my clubs for years (after watching a few youtube "do-it yourself" videos).  I have long fingers and use jumbo grips in conjunction with multiple layers of grip tape to get the desired grip thickness.  As a result, the process of removing the old layers of grip tape use to be be really labor intensive, until I read a post on this site by a few people recommending the use of painter's tape as a base layer.

After that, I began using 3M painter's tape as a base layer.  As the other post indicated, painter's tape is slightly thinner (so you should adjust the numbers accordingly), but the primary benefit (once you add all of the necessary layers of double-sided grip tape) is the ease of removal down the road.  

Hope that helps.

Interesting..... makes sense!!

Have you ever had a grip shift using the painters tape?

Edited by 4Par, 19 June 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#5 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 2426

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

View Post4Par, on 19 June 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

View Posticeman666, on 19 June 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Hope that helps.

Interesting..... makes sense!!

Have you ever had a grip shift using the painters tape?
Nope.  Never unless I've blown the grips on and not using the two-way tape.

Once upon a time, 2-way tape was pretty uniform in thickness.  Now it's all over the map depending on where it comes from.  Almost a necessity to use a digital caliper to get a base thickness to work from and then build up to that point.

Edited by Socrates, 19 June 2017 - 08:48 PM.

Ping G400 9º Stock Stiff (on order)
Ping G30 10.5º Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#6 overparfornow

overparfornow

Pingman55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365009
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Or just regular masking tape which is cheaper but of course thinner.

#7 iceman666

iceman666

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142587
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

I have never had a grip shift position using painter's tape as the base layer.

#8 Mikeski

Mikeski

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366293
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Sherwin Williams has a really nice 2" masking tape that I use to build up under my grips. I don't use any 2sided tape. I blow the grip on with air and all is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors