Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Golf Trip Locations for a Single

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430202
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

I am looking into doing a golf trip sometime next year by myself. I do not really have any friends that golf. Wife is going on a cruise next year so I am planning on a golf trip for myself and just curious in everyone's thoughts opinions on the best destinations for this. Time of year and price do not matter.

Southeast - Could drive down to Florida and play World Woods, Streamsong, Innisbrook, TPC Saw Grass and Sea Island. Easiest to get to as I can drive down.
Wisconsin - Whistling Straights, Blackwolf Run, Erin Hills, Lawsonia (Flights to WI would not be terrible with one layover in Charlotte or Atlanta)
Oregon - Self Explanatory (Flights into this location would stink. I would have to have two layover and then would be able to Uber. Alternatively fly into I believe Portland and drive the 5 hours. Could also sneak in Pronghorn or other courses)
CA - Pebble, Spanish, Spyglass, Pasatiempo, and Poppy (Flights to WI would not be terrible with one layover in Charlotte or Atlanta)

Thoughts / suggestions?

Edited by krtgolfing, 19 June 2017 - 12:30 PM.

Taylor Made M2 Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
Spider Tour Red

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 13642

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

I've taken close to 50 solo golf trips. If you think this might be a one time deal, I'd go with Bandon Dunes. It's pretty much at the top of the bucket list. Wisconsin has some great courses, including the new Sand Valley. I'd also consider northern Michigan (Traverse City area). The Tampa area is very good, but I would also add Streamsong to the list. This would probably have to be a Spring/Fall trip, as it can get rather hot and muggy in Florida in the summer. Northern California would be great. I'm heading there in August.

Other options would include: Alabama (RTJ Golf Trail in Spring/Fall), Phoenix or Palm Springs in Spring/Fall), Myrtle Beach, Kiawah Island/Hilton Head, or Pinehurst.

#3 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441076
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

I would go to Scotland.  If you're considering Pebble, then this would be no more expensive (possibly cheaper).  Just go to St. Andrews  or East Lothian, find a B&B for a week and you can play 20 different and worthwhile courses with in hour of each other.  Other than the Old Course, I think it's fairly easy to get a tee time at any place there.  I was able to move my tee time at Carnoustie very easily when I got on the old course  ballot.  The golf culture is so different there that I can't imagine any place would not love to have a single there and find a group to pair up with.  If you avoid the big name courses, you could play a lot of really fun tracks for under 50 pounds.  and iff you go in the summer day light is long, so 36 or 54 hole days can be easy to get in.

#4 rcain1us

rcain1us

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15685
  • Ebay ID:blondiegolf
GolfWRX Likes : 1255

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

Pinehurst has packages for singles and between that area and Raleigh there is a ton of golf both high end and reasonable using golfnow or teeitup

#5 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 19 June 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

I've taken close to 50 solo golf trips. If you think this might be a one time deal, I'd go with Bandon Dunes. It's pretty much at the top of the bucket list. Wisconsin has some great courses, including the new Sand Valley. I'd also consider northern Michigan (Traverse City area). The Tampa area is very good, but I would also add Streamsong to the list. This would probably have to be a Spring/Fall trip, as it can get rather hot and muggy in Florida in the summer. Northern California would be great. I'm heading there in August.

Other options would include: Alabama (RTJ Golf Trail in Spring/Fall), Phoenix or Palm Springs in Spring/Fall), Myrtle Beach, Kiawah Island/Hilton Head, or Pinehurst.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am doing RTJ later this year and with living in Charleston I have done Kiawah/ Hilton Head, Pinehurst, and Myrtle beach a bunch of times.

Taylor Made M2 Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Spider Tour Red

#6 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 4322

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

Bandon and Monterey for me, but I'm bias.

Bandon for all the obvious reasons. And the flights are relatively easy from Charleston with only one stop: Alaska Airlines (CHS - SEA - Eugene) and then it's only a 2 1/4 hr drive

Monterey as Pebble aside, Poppy, PG, Bayonet/Blackhorse, Pasa are all easy to get on as a single, with discounted fees to boot using various online options.

#7 BUCKEYERBALL88

BUCKEYERBALL88

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358819
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

I recommend Monterey. Lots of great golf without much driving b/w courses. Fly into Monterey or San Jose

#8 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 459

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostCMCSGolf, on 19 June 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

I would go to Scotland.  If you're considering Pebble, then this would be no more expensive (possibly cheaper).  Just go to St. Andrews  or East Lothian, find a B&B for a week and you can play 20 different and worthwhile courses with in hour of each other.  Other than the Old Course, I think it's fairly easy to get a tee time at any place there.  I was able to move my tee time at Carnoustie very easily when I got on the old course  ballot.  The golf culture is so different there that I can't imagine any place would not love to have a single there and find a group to pair up with.  If you avoid the big name courses, you could play a lot of really fun tracks for under 50 pounds.  and iff you go in the summer day light is long, so 36 or 54 hole days can be easy to get in.

Second this. With the exchange rate where it is, and some very cheap flights from the east coast, going to St. Andrews for a week would be a solid choice.

#9 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Love it! OP asks for suggestions in the US, yet we get 2 replies out of 6 for somewhere completely different :stop:

OP, do you look for anything else on these trips?
Somewhere like Seattle or Denver would let you mix in some good non-golf diversions - in regards to PNW/Rockies outdoorsyness - that would be a lot different than South Carolina, while still having quality golf options.

#10 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

View Postduffer987, on 19 June 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Love it! OP asks for suggestions in the US, yet we get 2 replies out of 6 for somewhere completely different :stop:

I think we both found it reasonable to highlight that two common objections to a Scotland trip (and likely one of the reasons it was excluded to begin with) - cost and convenience - are sort of uniquely better in 2017 than perhaps ever before.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Somewhere like Seattle or Denver would let you mix in some good non-golf diversions - in regards to PNW/Rockies outdoorsyness - that would be a lot different than South Carolina, while still having quality golf options.

I am fine with other suggestions outside of the US. I will probably edit the post as I would not be against going to Scotland. The only downfall is a long long flights, I am not a big fan of flying. PNW was one of my options I am looking at.
Taylor Made M2 Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Spider Tour Red

#12 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

View Postkrtgolfing, on 19 June 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

I am fine with other suggestions outside of the US. I will probably edit the post as I would not be against going to Scotland. The only downfall is a long long flights, I am not a big fan of flying. PNW was one of my options I am looking at.

It's six hours from the east coast to Edinburgh. Really not much worse than transcontinental US travel.

#13 shortstop20

shortstop20

Hit 'em straight!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76885
  • Handicap:7.9
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Melatonin or other sleeping aids are your friend.

I'd go to Ireland/Scotland every year if I could!

Edited by shortstop20, 19 June 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#14 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 19 June 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

It's six hours from the east coast to Edinburgh. Really not much worse than transcontinental US travel.

Fair enough - think we all know how long it take to fly places (Charleston isn't NY or Boston). Just that my pedantry nature likes to keep things on point :)

In which case I would go to England and Wales and skip Scotland. Too many tourist golfers at those courses, much easier to get out on courses away from the tour buses. It also means you won't be tacked onto a larger group that might not want an interloper, versus pairing up with some locals elsewhere.

Edited by duffer987, 19 June 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#15 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

View Postduffer987, on 19 June 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Fair enough - think we all know how long it take to fly places (Charleston isn't NY or Boston). Just that my pedantry nature likes to keep things on point :)

Interestingly, not really.

From Boston, a year ago, getting to Edinburgh was a 12 hour trip - 6.5 hours to LHR, long layover, 2 hours to EDI. But now we've got some direct options (PVD -> EDI) that cut it to 6 hours flat. If you looked into going to Scotland a year ago, you might have concluded that the travel lift was too high - but now it's very doable.

#16 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

I don't see him explicitly stating he was only looking in the US.  From the east coast, getting to Bandon can be tougher than getting to St. Andrews.  He asked for ideas for golf travel and Scotland is arguably the best golf spot in the world. And single friendly to boot.

#17 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 19 June 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

From Boston, a year ago, getting to Edinburgh was a 12 hour trip - 6.5 hours to LHR, long layover, 2 hours to EDI. But now we've got some direct options (PVD -> EDI) that cut it to 6 hours flat. If you looked into going to Scotland a year ago, you might have concluded that the travel lift was too high - but now it's very doable.

Guy lives in Charleston. Google flight Bandon and Edi and see the difference, it's not an inconsequential difference.
I wholly agree North East to the UK/Ireland is straight forward, you're lucky folks. Just got back from Ireland, I had to route through O'Hare, my mate got a 6/7 hr direct there. For me from leaving work to being on the first tee at Ballybunion was 17hrs. Same to Bandon was 11hrs.

Again, I do not disagree with your NE coast POV, just that it's not quite that easy unless live in one of those 4 or 5 NE hubs :)

View PostCMCSGolf, on 19 June 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

I don't see him explicitly stating he was only looking in the US.  From the east coast, getting to Bandon can be tougher than getting to St. Andrews.  He asked for ideas for golf travel and Scotland is arguably the best golf spot in the world. And single friendly to boot.

He did in the original OP - but changed it, after I got all annoying :)
As I said earlier, I wasn't trying to be d1ckish, just my OCD. And as I said above google flight Charleston to Oregon and Scotland:
8hrs/7.5hrs versus 10.5hrs/13hrs.

#18 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 13642

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

A trip to Bandon from the east is pretty much an all day affair, whether you drive down from Portland, or connect and fly into Eugene or North Bend. I flew into Portland and drove down the Pacific Coast Highway. It took a bit longer than I-5, but it was certainly more scenic.

#19 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

View Postduffer987, on 19 June 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

As I said earlier, I wasn't trying to be d1ckish, just my OCD. And as I said above google flight Charleston to Oregon and Scotland:

If I don't see it there now, then it didn't happen!  Kidding.... I think you also have to factor in the drive time on the travel as Argonne says.  From Charleston to Bandon : 7-8 hour flight + 4 hour drive and Charleston to EDI, 10-13 hour flight + 45 minute drive.  That's pretty comparable in my eyes.  Both are beyond awesome golf experiences and well worth the day of travel.

#20 Poser

Poser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

Make sure to check conditions in tampa I was down a month ago and world of woods adn alot of courses were suffering pretty bad from drought.  They may have recovered by now I'm not sure.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 19 June 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Guy lives in Charleston. Google flight Bandon and Edi and see the difference, it's not an inconsequential difference.
I wholly agree North East to the UK/Ireland is straight forward, you're lucky folks. Just got back from Ireland, I had to route through O'Hare, my mate got a 6/7 hr direct there. For me from leaving work to being on the first tee at Ballybunion was 17hrs. Same to Bandon was 11hrs.

Again, I do not disagree with your NE coast POV, just that it's not quite that easy unless live in one of those 4 or 5 NE hubs :)

View PostCMCSGolf, on 19 June 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

I just ran the kayak.com, and it's pretty close to a push once you factor drive time from Portland or Eugene (and, of course, drive time from EDI to St. Andrews or East Lothian).

In fairness, when I wrote my post, I didn't know that he was in Charleston...that complicates travel a bit.

I'm not saying it's Scotland or bust...just that it's a pretty good deal right now and not significantly more painful than BD.

#22 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostCMCSGolf, on 19 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

If I don't see it there now, then it didn't happen!  Kidding.... I think you also have to factor in the drive time on the travel as Argonne says.  From Charleston to Bandon : 7-8 hour flight + 4 hour drive and Charleston to EDI, 10-13 hour flight + 45 minute drive.  That's pretty comparable in my eyes.  Both are beyond awesome golf experiences and well worth the day of travel.

Agreed :)
I think people miss a trick though by not picking Eugene if it works. 2.15 versus 4+ to Portland. Did Portland for the first time this past Nov and it really was a PITA. One of the real pluses with Kohler or Monterey is the relatively simple drive and abundant flights. I'm really keen on Cabot, but talk about a PITA. It has been enough to genuinely put me off going to this point, as it's not really a 3/4 day weekend trip.

Agree that you can get to a fair few good courses in an hour from Edi that's for sure. Really Edi, Glasgow, Manchester, London, Dublin... it's silly how quickly you can be teeing it up at a fantastic course in 1-2hrs from landing. I just went and thinking about it makes me want to go back :)

#23 AC168

AC168

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4684
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

I generally go where I want to play the most.  Best courses, etc.

#24 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostAC168, on 20 June 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I generally go where I want to play the most.  Best courses, etc.

Thanks for the help.. SMH.. All the destinations I mentioned have top rated courses. Just asked for advice from others who might of been to these destinations before or had any better recommendations.
Taylor Made M2 Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Spider Tour Red

#25 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

Assuming you are still taking international suggestions I did an Australia/NZ trip with The Lakes, NSW, RM, Kingston Heath, Metropolitan, Barnbougle, Royal Auckland, Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers a few years back and it was wonderful.  Made a lot of good friends and really enjoyed the entire time.  I've also done a lot of traveling through Europe while working overseas and had a blast in Scotland, Ireland, Portugal and Spain.  I love experiencing stuff that way and going with the flow but you have to be flexible when you do things that way.  Stuff like ferries not sticking to schedules on the way to the Mull of Kintyre and being totally lost in remote villages doesn't bother me but a lot of people don't enjoy things that way.

If you decide to stick to the US I think Bandon is the place to go.

#26 atteberry23

atteberry23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474820
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:attebeerry
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

I have used Golfpactravel with a lot of success.  There are many different options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors