Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Have you reached your maximum potential?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383344
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Yes I refuse to take lessons or revamp my swing.  I am in my 50's and playing decent.  I am working on my weaknesses but have no interest or time or spend at the range.  As a member of a club I will practice putting and hit chips and bunker shots but bored very quickly (i.e. 15 minutes per).  

My putting stroke makes Billy Mayfair's look smooth and like a pendulum.  Practice at home I can take it back and follow through straight, on the green my putter goes multiple directions.  

However the point is I am pretty much at my potential.  Close to breaking 80 legitimately, but hasn't been done and that is my goal.  Many of my rounds would be considered practice as I play alone with multiple balls (though post scores from my first ball as otherwise committee would question all my tee times and lack of a posted score).  I am not (and can not slow down and try to concentrate and worry on every shot).  

Repetition and playing a lot has got me to this point and who knows may get to an HC around 10, but won't find another 30 yards on my drives or a magic pill to cure putting.  All I want now is not to ground balls anymore, skull balls and get out of traps and on to greens.  

Do others feel the same and okay with it?

Edited by Under2hours, 19 June 2017 - 08:37 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 2522

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

You are a hacker.  And no I don't feel the same way or am I okay with it.

Take a lesson.  Your pro and fellow members will appreciate it.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Ping G30 10.5º Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#3 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 590

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

I'm in a pretty similar spot. I'd like to get to the point where there's an almost zero probability of a "bad" shot (skulled, shanked, OB drive, etc) vs about a 2% chance of that now (one or two a round). But I don't sweat it if I make a bad decision (pull an 8 iron vs a 7 iron), put a good, but not perfect, stroke on it and end up 10 yards short.

My goal is really just to hit good shots. I don't really care about my score (much to the frustration of some pros I've worked with). I don't need to grind over 4 foot putts for an hour every day to knock three strokes off my score.

#4 Tcann32

Tcann32

Major Winner

• 3,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343581
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:tcannon32
GolfWRX Likes : 1917

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

This time last year, I was a 12 hcp, and by the end of the year, I was a 6, with no magical changes, no crazy distance gains (I guess I hit the ball reasonably far, but it wasn't something that was a change along the way to getting better).

I can't remember the last time I legitimately practiced putting, short game, or sand shots. I'll hit a few chip shots on the practice green to assess how the greens are reacting that day, I'll hit maybe 10 putts on the practice green, to see how the speed is, and that's about it, in that area, and it wasn't any different in my progression last year.

The way I improved was course management and didn't make as many doubles. I'm guessing that you're probably at the point in your game as well, where if your swing hasn't abandoned you, making good decisions would benefit more than a few extra yards, hitting a higher draw, or whatever would come out of practice. I'm ok with where I am too. If something in the swing goes awry, then I'll spend more time on the range to get it back in check, but for the most part, I feel like playing enough with what I have now will just allow for progression and I'll keep getting better that way, which is my preferred choice. If I had the time to hit the range 4 days a week and play 3-4 times, I would, but since my free time is limited, I'll usually just choose to play.

If you have something particular holding you back, then I'd say it's worth practicing on it, but if you're at the point where you hit good shots the majority of the time, and consistency is the issue, then it's just deciding how much time you want to put it to have a few less bad swings a round.

View PostSocrates, on 19 June 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

That was aggressive.... lol
What's actually in the bag...
Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
Callaway BBA (2014)
Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled

#5 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostTcann32, on 19 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

This time last year, I was a 12 hcp, and by the end of the year, I was a 6, with no magical changes, no crazy distance gains (I guess I hit the ball reasonably far, but it wasn't something that was a change along the way to getting better).

I can't remember the last time I legitimately practiced putting, short game, or sand shots. I'll hit a few chip shots on the practice green to assess how the greens are reacting that day, I'll hit maybe 10 putts on the practice green, to see how the speed is, and that's about it, in that area, and it wasn't any different in my progression last year.

The way I improved was course management and didn't make as many doubles. I'm guessing that you're probably at the point in your game as well, where if your swing hasn't abandoned you, making good decisions would benefit more than a few extra yards, hitting a higher draw, or whatever would come out of practice. I'm ok with where I am too. If something in the swing goes awry, then I'll spend more time on the range to get it back in check, but for the most part, I feel like playing enough with what I have now will just allow for progression and I'll keep getting better that way, which is my preferred choice. If I had the time to hit the range 4 days a week and play 3-4 times, I would, but since my free time is limited, I'll usually just choose to play.

If you have something particular holding you back, then I'd say it's worth practicing on it, but if you're at the point where you hit good shots the majority of the time, and consistency is the issue, then it's just deciding how much time you want to put it to have a few less bad swings a round.

That was aggressive.... lol
I thought he wanted re-affirmation.  ;)

Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#6 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,298 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

Working at golf courses off and on for 30 years, I see the same thing all the time.  People go out and hit a few shots, chip and putt for a little while and all the while they practice nothing.  They might hone their bad faults so they aren't quite as bad and yet they never seek professional help.  It comes down to them being too embarrassed or self conscious about what they are doing or doing poorly.  They want to get a little better, but can't get to the point of getting real guidance because they know they are bad but don't want it confirmed for all to see.

I'll let them in on a secret... EVERYONE knows.  The head pro, the assistant pro and his fellow members all know.  So get over it and take one lesson.  Even a simple 30 minute lesson might drastically change things for the better.  And then a real sub-80 round might just happen.
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#7 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Advanced

• 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 372

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

Interesting question.  I have been as low as +1.5 while working for a living.  Now that I have retired and still slightly better than scratch I have been wondering how low I can go.  Since I am old (almost 56) it would appear on the surface that taking my cap lower would not be possible.  However, now that I can actually practice (even if only for a short period of time) every day if I wish it seems like I should be able to improve.  Seems like I should be able to polish the short game to a high sheen (especially bunker play and putting).  Hitting balls every day at the range should improve the long game consistency as well.

Not sure I will go the lessons route.  Have had a couple 2 or 3 in the past and did not get much out of them.  Got the "your swing looks great, what do you want to work on" comment more than a few times.  Sort of felt like the various pros opinions was I was maxing my potential why did I want more.  LOL!  I am hoping just upping my consistency by grooving all aspects of my game through increased practice opportunity should get me to +1 to +2 and stay there.  Anything better than that would be gravy.
Driver: Callaway Epic GBB 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway XR w/Project X 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Callaway Apex 5i - AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/11 2 Dot w/UST Recoil 780 F4
Lob Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX CB 58/14 2 Dot w/True Temper XP-95 R-flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft or Srixon Z-star both in yellow

#8 Doppelganger

Doppelganger

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300701
  • Handicap:10.9
GolfWRX Likes : 322

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostSocrates, on 19 June 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

Working at golf courses off and on for 30 years, I see the same thing all the time.  People go out and hit a few shots, chip and putt for a little while and all the while they practice nothing.  They might hone their bad faults so they aren't quite as bad and yet they never seek professional help.  It comes down to them being too embarrassed or self conscious about what they are doing or doing poorly.  They want to get a little better, but can't get to the point of getting real guidance because they know they are bad but don't want it confirmed for all to see.

I'll let them in on a secret... EVERYONE knows.  The head pro, the assistant pro and his fellow members all know.  So get over it and take one lesson.  Even a simple 30 minute lesson might drastically change things for the better.  And then a real sub-80 round might just happen.

I would agree with this.

Fwiw my observations suggests a two part system. Obviously being athletic is part of being good at golf, and then you need good mechanics. They go hand in hand but learning and practicing good mechanics makes it so you don't have to be so athletic, and I think it's easier and more objective than practicing a move that requires you to athletically square/shallow/whatever.

#9 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostSocrates, on 19 June 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

At my club they couldn't care less and not sure why.  No a single pro has done anything outside seen me maybe on the first tee.

Fellow members I expect couldn't care less unless I am tearing up the course (and in any case I brush the ball) or am so erratic and slow that I piss them off.

Edited by Under2hours, 19 June 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#10 cardoustie

cardoustie

Canada Cup 1973

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4733

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

i reached my potential 25 years ago when I was 24.   Was a college stick back then and the only time I've been better than zero .. barely at +0.4

Right now I can shoot 68-86.   Won our men's league (111 guys) last week with a 72 as a 6 cap .. that went over well with the boys .... NOT

I am still working on more consistency (index runs from 2.2 to 4.9 in season) and I am in the middle of getting an on-line lesson from iteach.  I use a lot of different swing thoughts (flattening the shaft coming down with the driver yesterday was MONEY) and love to tinker with different shafts in fairway woods

TMade '16 M2 Fuji Motore Tour Spec 6.2x
Callaway GBB 16* Kuro Kage 50s
Callaway Apex 3h & 5h Kuro Kage 80s
PIng s55 6 - PW Nippon Tour 1150GH x
Vokey SM2 50 54tvd 59tvd 64 DG Onyx s400
Scotty X7M

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 1194

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

At age 69 I peaked a long time ago.  The game is still fun though.

Steve

#12 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118294
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1179

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

Nope.

I thought I had peaked in my early to mid-30s, but I feel like I keep getting better and better the last few years. Now at 40, I might not hit the ball quite as far as I once did, but the game as a whole is improving. I think it ultimately boils down to working on the right things. I spent the better part of a decade working on stuff that didn't help me and my game didn't improve at all.

Edited by dornstar, 19 June 2017 - 11:20 AM.

D - Callaway XR Pro 9* (10*) - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
3W - Callaway X Hot Pro 15* - Aldila NV 85
2H - Cleveland 2009 18* - Aldila NV 85
4-GW - TaylorMade RSi-2 - Project X 6.5
SW/LW - Vokey SM5 M-Grind
P - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 counter-balanced

#13 Matchplay10033

Matchplay10033

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432544
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

I have a ton of room for improvement.... This year I started using shot by shot and according to that I am driving the ball like a plus 5 handicap, putting like a 1 and have the approach game of a 12 and  chipping/pitching of an 18.   I am working my rear off on those two categories and a bad case of the yips rears its head quit often.

#14 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

I think mine only comes from playing much much more. Keep it in play, get it in the air and better in and around greens.  However I will not hit it 240+ and become a bullseye putter......

#15 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 655

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

Isn't the definition of insanity when one repeats the same thing over and over, yet expects different outcomes??

How are you ever expecting to get better if you refuse to change anything, ie... Practice/get lessons. If you have gotten to a 10 and have held there steady for years doing what you've been doing, you're nuts to think you'll magically get better if you don't do anything extra.

Not many of us have the genetics or mental prowess the guys on tour have, but I think that as long as you play the right tees, single digits is possible for most people if they put in the level of effort required to get there.

Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1/Black Series i #9/O-works #1W
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

#16 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3560

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

I think I can get to scratch, but I doubt I'll ever get to a +.  Better mechanics and launch characteristics will add 15 to my drives, which would be huge.  I'm a good putter and have a solid short game and hit it very straight.  

As a 12, you have a ton of upside potential, but obviously if you're not willing to change your swing, then no, you will never get better.

#17 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4479

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

Pointless. Just pointless. Why make any reference what so ever to reaching a certain index or some marker of 'potential', when that index and the way you play the game is based on invalid scores.
You're not a 12.1 and if you get to something you want to call a 10, you are not a 10.

EVERYONE would have an index much lower than their actual index if they posted rounds where they hit additional balls throughout the round.
You're just slapping golf balls around a course. You're fine with that great, but don't conflate it with any concept of 'potential' and what you do reflecting that.

#18 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

View Postduffer987, on 19 June 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Pointless. Just pointless. Why make any reference what so ever to reaching a certain index or some marker of 'potential', when that index and the way you play the game is based on invalid scores.
You're not a 12.1 and if you get to something you want to call a 10, you are not a 10.

EVERYONE would have an index much lower than their actual index if they posted rounds where they hit additional balls throughout the round.
You're just slapping golf balls around a course. You're fine with that great, but don't conflate it with any concept of 'potential' and what you do reflecting that.
Calm down!!!!  What's your problem with my index or why do you even care?  I am talking about how I feel about my game.  I don't go to the range but love hitting many shots on my own as I get exercise and play on the course.  

And if I am a vanity capper and don't play in events or tournament (outside flighted) again who gives a s#!t?

Actually yesterday someone did ask my HC, which seldom is done.  The two I played with were better then me (younger by 10 years or so and playing golds vs. me the whites).  I may have beat both of them (one definitely), but I didn't pay attention to their exact scores (one was having a horrendous round) and we were just enjoying being the first out and playing 18 in 3:30 (with a 20-30 minute rain delay).  Heck I counted every shot too and had an 82 making some putts and played really well.

That is why I posted as I don't make birdies or sink long putts (but did twice yesterday).  I did almost everything well, but still made one arrant shot that cost me two strokes and had two bad breaks costing me two more.  So maybe a 78 if the stars did align.

But you go on being angry........

Edited by Under2hours, 19 June 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#19 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 3453

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

My realistic potential is +1 to 0. I came very close to reaching it right before my hips gave out in 2010. I was .8 and trending lower, then I felt a pop after a round and had to lift my left leg up with my arms to get out of my car to get to work. Home course was rated so low that realistically I would have been a + index on pretty much any other reasonably rated course. My game traveled very very well. At that time I had a work scheduled that permitted play mid week 2pm-10pm sales shift rotating days off. Now that I am a M-F 9-5 type Mid week play is impossible even getting to the range is a tough ask. I carried a 1.5 index most of last year on 45 rounds mostly due to two good stretches 1 in winter and 1 in summer where I had a 5 round stretch where I was 6 over par in total. That is on two hip replacements too.

I do work with an instructor but the key to my game and playing well always revolved around actual rounds played not range time. Now that I take 5 days off between rounds it is a crap shoot as to what game will show up on the weekends. My best is still pretty decent around even or just under according to my rounds last year. But the differential from best to worst is a much wider gap than it historically has been. That is the part that gets to me the most. When I was playing 2-3 rounds a week with no more than a 2-3 day gap between rounds a bad round for me was 78-79 vs 84 today. Im up to 3.5 right now thanks to some pretty bad play to start the year and 4 even par rounds dropping out of my last 20. I'm to the point where I really should work in a mid week range session, but that means hitting off mats as there is no lighted grass ranges around me and due to the heat most courses close down around 5-6pm even though it is light out until 8
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#20 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 19 June 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Isn't the definition of insanity when one repeats the same thing over and over, yet expects different outcomes??

How are you ever expecting to get better if you refuse to change anything, ie... Practice/get lessons. If you have gotten to a 10 and have held there steady for years doing what you've been doing, you're nuts to think you'll magically get better if you don't do anything extra.

Not many of us have the genetics or mental prowess the guys on tour have, but I think that as long as you play the right tees, single digits is possible for most people if they put in the level of effort required to get there.
That's no guarantee of success. I tried everything for years... practice, lessons, video, swing changes, gear fitting, etc, etc, etc. I spent a ridiculous amount of time, effort and money on this game and saw no real improvement. Granted, I already have a low handicap, but there was still areas for improvement. For me, the catalyst was launch monitors. For whatever reason, being able to try something and see results (if I do x or feel y, then z happens) resonated with me and that's when I broke the decade long plateau. Bottom line... you can have the best intentions in the world and not get it right which is EXTREMELY easy to do in this game.

Edited by dornstar, 19 June 2017 - 12:34 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 airjammer

airjammer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

I think I have reached my maximum potential as far as consistency is concerned and I probably reached that when I stopped growing like most people. From that point forth all you can really do is try to incorporate more effective mechanics to produce more good shots and less severe misses..that is the name of the game.

#22 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 1053

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Rather than say you have reached your maximum potential, I would say you have reached your limitations.
No matter where you go, there you are.

#23 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3560

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

View Postdornstar, on 19 June 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

That's no guarantee of success. I tried everything for years... practice, lessons, video, swing changes, gear fitting, etc, etc, etc. I spent a ridiculous amount of time, effort and money on this game and saw no real improvement. Granted, I already have a low handicap, but there was still areas for improvement. For me, the catalyst was launch monitors. For whatever reason, being able to try something and see results (if I do x or feel y, then z happens) resonated with me and that's when I broke the decade long plateau. Bottom line... you can have the best intentions in the world and not get it right which is EXTREMELY easy to do in this game.

Dorn, you're on the + side of handicaps.   You have very little room for improvement.  The OP is a 12, he's shooting 90-100 90% of the time.

#24 Under2hours

Under2hours

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 19 June 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Dorn, you're on the + side of handicaps.   You have very little room for improvement.  The OP is a 12, he's shooting 90-100 90% of the time.

No am shooting 80's 90% of the time, never 70's and 90's usually the result of horrendous putting.  Again no big deal, just an observation and I hope an interesting thread.

#25 Doppelganger

Doppelganger

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300701
  • Handicap:10.9
GolfWRX Likes : 322

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Positive attitude and positive handicap, I like it. I'm playing Ohio State University's gray course today, Dornstars avatar has motivated me for some twilight golf.

#26 deathbymuffin

deathbymuffin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181018
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

No way!  I'm almost 39 and playing as good as I ever have.  Played high school golf and could shoot 75 or 90 on any given day.  Then took 10 years off from the game, came back as an 85-90 shooter, and struggled for almost 10 years to improve.  Even thought I had hit my "ceiling" as a golfer.  Was fed up and finally took some video, got some lessons, and filtered out the best nuggets of info from WRX.  People always said I had a beautiful swing, but it turns out I had a couple of fatal flaws which I was able to identify with the help of instructors and I'm still working on eliminating them completely.  In the past year, I've gone from probably a 12 handicapper down to a 4, and I don't see any reason why I can't eventually get to scratch or better in the next few years.  Also, it helps to have a specific goal as motivation.  In the past, I'd roll out to the golf course with a nebulous thought that I'd hope to break 80 that day.  If I was 5 or 6 over after a few holes, I'd just check out and mindlessly card something in the mid-80s.  Now I have a goal of getting my handicap down below 1.4, so I can play in the US Open and Mid-Am local qualifiers by 2020.  This helps me stay focused on taking it one shot at a time and giving my best effort over a full round.   Lately, I've had multiple rounds where I was 3 or 4 over after only a couple of holes, but I put them behind me, concentrated on the shot at hand, and low and behold, before I knew it, I'd carded a couple birdies and got home in 74-76.

#27 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 1684

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

I fail to see why anyone would care how you approach your own game, as long as you keep pace, are courteous to others and fix your divots and ball marks.

#28 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostUnder2hours, on 19 June 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

No am shooting 80's 90% of the time, never 70's and 90's usually the result of horrendous putting.  Again no big deal, just an observation and I hope an interesting thread.
It's all perspective. It doesn't matter if you're a 20 or a +2, there's always areas where we're trying to improve and you can get "stuck" or plateau at any level. I don't think I've come close to reaching my potential, but just practicing and taking lessons are no guarantee to improve no matter how much I want it to happen. You have to work on the right things which can be elusive. Even finding a coach that you mesh with can be elusive. There's a lot of great ones out there, but that doesn't mean you'll work well together. It's all about finding what works for you and just because your improvement has stopped for a year or a decade, it doesn't necessarily mean that you've "peaked" or reached your "maximum potential".

Edited by dornstar, 19 June 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#29 BenHoganSlam1953

BenHoganSlam1953

Professional Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225599
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

A hacker with a 12 handicap ??? Wow, then how do you describe 20+ ...
X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5 (Aldila Tour Green XStiff)
X2 Hot Pro 15/19 (Aldila Tour Green Stiff)
MP-32 4i - PW (DG S300ss)
SM5 54F, 58M, SM4 62T
Rife Two Bar Blade (weights removed)
opti-vibe weighting on all clubs, but putter

#30 fawley

fawley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostUnder2hours, on 19 June 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

Yes I refuse to take lessons or revamp my swing.  I am in my 50's and playing decent.  I am working on my weaknesses but have no interest or time or spend at the range.  As a member of a club I will practice putting and hit chips and bunker shots but bored very quickly (i.e. 15 minutes per).  

My putting stroke makes Billy Mayfair's look smooth and like a pendulum.  Practice at home I can take it back and follow through straight, on the green my putter goes multiple directions.  

However the point is I am pretty much at my potential.  Close to breaking 80 legitimately, but hasn't been done and that is my goal.  Many of my rounds would be considered practice as I play alone with multiple balls (though post scores from my first ball as otherwise committee would question all my tee times and lack of a posted score).  I am not (and can not slow down and try to concentrate and worry on every shot).  

Repetition and playing a lot has got me to this point and who knows may get to an HC around 10, but won't find another 30 yards on my drives or a magic pill to cure putting.  All I want now is not to ground balls anymore, skull balls and get out of traps and on to greens.  

Do others feel the same and okay with it?

It seems by definition,it is very unlikely you have reached your potential.  You just refuse to, or just don't want to do the things that would allow you to reach it.  Which is fine if that's what you want to do, but you'll really have no idea whether or not you're actually as good as you can be until you've put in the time and effort to get there.

I've been as low as a 4 index a few years ago, playing once a week and practicing once or twice.  I'm pretty sure that my circumstances now (no longer living in Manhattan and joining a private club) put me in a good position to take off the couple of strokes I need to get below 4, and I'm looking forward to trying to achieve that over the rest of this season.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors