Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

shortened my swing for everything and great results, why?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 636

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

For the last 4 months I have worked on a proper shoulder turn (back facing target, left shoulder feeling like its over my right foot) then firing the left hip 'left and back' while trying to keep the shoulders returning on the same plane (i.e right shoulder down and left up).......

..results are great shot then 3 poor ones, then occasional thins, push fades and pull hooks..........

so today I shortened my swing to about hands reaching shoulder height then I start down and the strikes are pure, solid feeling and go where I am aiming with no loss of any distance. It 'feels' like a half swing but looks 3/4.

By doing this am I getting things in sync accidently that were out of sync with the longer backswing and bigger turn etc?

This was at the range, I cant wait to try the course as the bad shots (described above) are costing me big time in scoring.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 PuttingIsNotGolf

PuttingIsNotGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467876
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Probably because you aren't coordinated enough for a longer swing

#3 Doppelganger

Doppelganger

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300701
  • Handicap:10.9
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

Because feel isn't real!!!

Shortening the swing fixes a lot of different problems, I would imagine it will be hard to get feedback without video of the swing. In my case I ended up going to Monte for my first lesson and he showed me how badly I was overrunning with my arms (ie shoulders would turn, stop turning, and my arms broke down and wrapped around me making me think i was getting a good full turn). The fix was to shorten it to a half swing and on video it did actually end up being a 3/4 swing.

#4 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3030

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostPuttingIsNotGolf, on 18 June 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Or, flexible enough.

#5 Doppelganger

Doppelganger

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300701
  • Handicap:10.9
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

View PostPuttingIsNotGolf, on 18 June 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

horse s***!

Take enough mechanical flaws out of the equation and anyone has a good shot at keeping the ball in play.

#6 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 5640

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

Big shoulder turn + short arm swing + lots of width = pure ball striking

I work on it all the time, it's a huge key of mine. Gotta have all the components though, you can't just lift your arms without turning and slap at it, that's no bueno.

#7 xkilgorextroutx

xkilgorextroutx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466834
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Like the others have said, odds are you're doing everything in sync and you are most likely swinging it at what should really be a "full" swing.

When I started playing golf a few years ago, I thought you needed the biggest wind up possible to hit the ball. No surprise that my stock shot was a banana slice. I finally went for a few lessons, and the pro had me swing like my hands were only going just above my waist on the backswing. I started hitting some great shots, and he showed me video of my "barely half swing" that was indeed a full swing.

Shorter swing for me, and for a lot of others, equals better body turn, less sway, and hitting the ball more in the center of the face.

#8 wfrogge1

wfrogge1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88478
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

If I had to guess your body and arms were out of sync with the "full" swing and caused your issues.  Only way to know would be to get your old swing on video and compare to your new swing.

#9 p3ga

p3ga

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209795
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Like the Indian Chiefs used to say about the rain dance: "It's all in the timing".

Shorter swing [for you] is keeping everything in sync. And that's a wonderful thing.

Edited by p3ga, 18 June 2017 - 08:21 PM.

Phil

All the clubs I've ever owned.

#10 Dpavs

Dpavs

OverWRX'ed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
GolfWRX Likes : 1443

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

As someone else has indicated it also may well be the case that what felt to you like a full swing was actually a swing going past the point where the shaft was approximately parallel to the ground which can cause any number of swing issues. By feeling like you are stopping short of a full swing you still may be very close to 3/4 to a full swing without knowing it. It would be interesting for you to duplicate what you were doing at the range and video tape it and see how far back you are actually going.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 636

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

Thanks guys for the input and affirmation.

As someone noted in an effort to get a full swing my arms and torso etc are becoming disconnected, I think. I certainly am fit enough for a full swing, I can even do a John Daly overswing for a laugh sometimes but imitating Lee Trevinos swing gives great results and thats only a mid to 3/4 swing.

Now to try it, and trust it, on the course as it feels like I'm starting down WAY before the backswing is complete.

#12 Nosebuckle

Nosebuckle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 236297
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 19 June 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Now to try it, and trust it, on the course as it feels like I'm starting down WAY before the backswing is complete.

I have done something similar this year (shortening my swing but struggling to take it to the course) and I'm finding that it's hard to ingrain a "shorter" swing. I have found that focusing more on my feet and balance helps to keep it more reliable. Instead of a point in the backswing that my club reaches triggering the transition, I'm using the feeling of pressure, particularly in the instep of my right foot to gauge when to stop turning. If things stay balanced and I'm keeping the club wide, I find the downswing elements tend to take care of themselves a lot better.

#13 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118294
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 18 June 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

Big shoulder turn + short arm swing + lots of width = pure ball striking

I work on it all the time, it's a huge key of mine. Gotta have all the components though, you can't just lift your arms without turning and slap at it, that's no bueno.
I've basically had a short arm swing my entire life similar to Jon Rahm (minus the bowed wrist) and I agree with you that it's a great way to swing as it eliminates a lot of the excess motion, but like you said, as soon as you stop turning you're in deep doodoo.

Edited by dornstar, 19 June 2017 - 12:43 PM.

D - Callaway XR Pro 9* (10*) - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
3W - Callaway X Hot Pro 15* - Aldila NV 85
2H - Cleveland 2009 18* - Aldila NV 85
4-GW - TaylorMade RSi-2 - Project X 6.5
SW/LW - Vokey SM5 M-Grind
P - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 counter-balanced

#14 Dsevans8

Dsevans8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456482
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Feel isn't real.... going to have to approve of that one. The more I look at my swing the more I recognize that what I think I am doing and what I really am doing are two different things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors