Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Erin Hills too Easy?


358 replies to this topic

#211 ratspros

ratspros

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144269
  • Joined: 10/27/2011
  • Location:Calgary
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

How is being only 4 strokes easier then Oakmont, 3 shots easier then Chambers Bay and 1 shot harder then Pinehurst make Erin Hills too easy?

Man you people are obsessed with Par.  Was Oakmont on the verge of being to east? Must've been with only being 1 stroke a round harder.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#212 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 801

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

A noted by others, fairways were too wide and the weather was too friendly...basically guys just bombed it...kind of a recurring problem with pro golf, driver wedge mostly, sometimes driver seven iron...it just seems the balls go too far, turning courses into jokes...probably just JP...but it gets pretty old, have to say...
Macgregor PCB Tour...
All your dreams come true.

2

#213 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 3969

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

View Postratspros, on 19 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

How is being only 4 strokes easier then Oakmont, 3 shots easier then Chambers Bay and 1 shot harder then Pinehurst make Erin Hills too easy?

Man you people are obsessed with Par.  Was Oakmont on the verge of being to east? Must've been with only being 1 stroke a round harder.
Bad comparison.  Try the last par 72 US Open at Pebble Beach in 1992 - winning score there was 285 versus 272 at EH.

3

#214 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
  • Joined: 08/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1146

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

7 guys finished -10 or better. In the entire history of the U.S. Open up to that point, only 2 guys had ever finished -10 or better...and that was in two incredible blowout victories by Tiger and Rory.

Was it too easy? Heck yes!

4

#215 ClintDagger

ClintDagger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 325211
  • Joined: 07/07/2014
  • Location:Las Colinas, TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

US Open courses are like obscenity, I can't describe it but I know it when I see it.  Erin Hills is a fine course and would make a great PGA Championship track but it doesn't feel like a US Open course.  Neither did Chambers Bay.  I understand that some courses are becoming obsolete and the USGA wants to get some new blood in the rotation but maybe a 5 or 6 course rotation for the US Open isn't the worst thing in the world.


5

#216 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

It was refreshing to see a US Open won at -16.  I can't stand the same USGA setups year after year.  That is the only week all year long someone plays golf that way.  Erin Hills easy?  Who cares?  Everyone has to play the same course.

6

#217 SadTrombone

SadTrombone

    .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2444

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

View Poststickner, on 19 June 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostSadTrombone, on 19 June 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

View Poststickner, on 19 June 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

View PostSadTrombone, on 19 June 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

View Poststickner, on 19 June 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

I can only assume then you will be lobbying strongly for re-instating hickory shafts and gutta percha balls as the only equipment options a player has? If not, why not?

Folks, this is a perfect example of the "false dilemma/all or nothing" fallacy.  It doesn't have to be all one way (gutty/hickory) or all the other way (900cc/nuclear balls).

No. It's meant to point out how things change over time. I can guarantee you that back in the day some ornery curmudgeon belly-ached for years about the introduction of "modern" steel shafts , "modern" golf balls and "modern" agronomy and how it ruined the game.

And there's the counterfactual fallacy.

You put the Sad in SadTrombone... What fallacy is that?

When you attack someone rather than their position, or rather than attempt to support your own position, that's ad hominem.

Edited by SadTrombone, 19 June 2017 - 11:59 AM.


7

#218 BreakingPar

BreakingPar

    Recovering golf club and golf ball hoarder...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173297
  • Joined: 04/05/2012
  • Location:MI
GolfWRX Likes : 914

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Harrison Ford could land his plane in those fairways, that's how wide they were.
WITB:
GBB Epic 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6x
SLDR 14* TS Speeder 8.3TS (testing Epic 3+)
M1 3HL Aldila Rogue Silver 70
BBA 815 3H  Fujikura Speeder 865
PSi 4 - PW  KBS Tour 110
RSi2 50*, 56* Glide ES
PING Ketsch Traditional

8

#219 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 3969

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 June 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

It was refreshing to see a US Open won at -16.  I can't stand the same USGA setups year after year.  That is the only week all year long someone plays golf that way.  Erin Hills easy?  Who cares?  Everyone has to play the same course.
But the USGA brand is based on the sternest test in golf.   Each major presents a unique test - I for one don't care to see 2 PGA Championships each year.

9

#220 jonsnow

jonsnow

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Joined: 05/24/2016
  • Location:Thomson, GA
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostBreakingPar, on 19 June 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Harrison Ford could land his plane in those fairways, that's how wide they were.

You mean crash his plane in those fairways?

Course didn't look easy to me. If the greens were a bit firmer & balls weren't stopping more quickly than you normally see in a U.S. Open, don't think the winning score would have been anywhere approaching -16.

WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Bridgestone J40 hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 52, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#221 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 3967

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like some want the USGA to build their own course and have the US Open there every year. Based on the posts the features would be.......

- about 8000 yards
-soft fairways with Superball tm substrata so they don't get too much roll off the tee but still bounce wildly into the rough. About 18 yards wide should be enough.
-rock hard greens about  200 square feet should be big enough. Some will be 15 on the stimp and some 8 as there is a varying belief about fast of slow being more difficult.
-shin high rough around the greens and to edge of fairways
-uphill on every hole so the the big hitters don't get the downhill advantage
- waste deep bunkers(but not pot bunkers as they are for The Open)

What have I missed? The idea of course is to embarrass and strike fear into the best in the world. Not to identify the best.  Yes the common method of course setup had some great winners. Jack Tiger and Trevino for instance. But it also had it's Dick Mayers and Orville Moodys.  Perhaps that setup was not that great at identifying the best player but selecting winners based on playing styles. If an Andy North can win three times on tour and two of them are US Opens perhaps the setup is not identifying the best but merely the straightest?

Edited by Shilgy, 19 June 2017 - 12:11 PM.

Callaway Epic SZ Fujikura Atmos Black 6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Adams A12 UST Silver S 19* & 21*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-P Nippon pm 125x
Nike Engage 50* SS
Nike Engage 54* TS
Nike Engage 58 * TS
Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

11

#222 SadTrombone

SadTrombone

    .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2444

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

View Postjonsnow, on 19 June 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostBreakingPar, on 19 June 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Harrison Ford could land his plane in those fairways, that's how wide they were.

You mean crash his plane in those fairways?

That's kind of a low blow.  The engine quit, it's not like he just balled it up and said "time for a quick bucket?".

12

#223 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2211

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

I'm not a Mike Davis fan but the USGA caught a bit of bad luck with all the rain they had. Had it not rained so much the fairways and greens would have been nasty firm and fast and it would been a much different course. You can't control mother nature.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Ping G 10.5 R
Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5 R
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 22* Hybrid
1999-2000 Hogan Apex Plus 5-PW
Evnroll ER2
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

13

#224 sekrah

sekrah

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109137
  • Joined: 06/07/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 June 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

It was refreshing to see a US Open won at -16.  I can't stand the same USGA setups year after year.  That is the only week all year long someone plays golf that way.  Erin Hills easy?  Who cares?  Everyone has to play the same course.

The other 30 PGA tour events each year that are won at -16 are not enough for you?

This was a piece of s***.

View Postlawsonman, on 19 June 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm not a Mike Davis fan but the USGA caught a bit of bad luck with all the rain they had. Had it not rained so much the fairways and greens would have been nasty firm and fast and it would been a much different course. You can't control mother nature.

Sorry, weather wouldn't have changed much at all.. maybe -10 or -9.  Everyone said the 15mph wind on Sunday would slow guys down.  It did nothing.  This was an easy US Open setup.  There's no polishing this turd.   Like others have said, many US Opens get drenched.  They don't score like this.

Edited by sekrah, 19 June 2017 - 12:23 PM.


14

#225 jonsnow

jonsnow

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Joined: 05/24/2016
  • Location:Thomson, GA
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostSadTrombone, on 19 June 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

View Postjonsnow, on 19 June 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostBreakingPar, on 19 June 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Harrison Ford could land his plane in those fairways, that's how wide they were.

You mean crash his plane in those fairways?

That's kind of a low blow.  The engine quit, it's not like he just balled it up and said "time for a quick bucket?".

Guess he should have taken the Millenium Falcon up that day...

WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Bridgestone J40 hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 52, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

15

#226 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2211

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

View Postsekrah, on 19 June 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 June 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

It was refreshing to see a US Open won at -16.  I can't stand the same USGA setups year after year.  That is the only week all year long someone plays golf that way.  Erin Hills easy?  Who cares?  Everyone has to play the same course.

The other 30 PGA tour events each year that are won at -16 are not enough for you?

This was a piece of s***.

View Postlawsonman, on 19 June 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm not a Mike Davis fan but the USGA caught a bit of bad luck with all the rain they had. Had it not rained so much the fairways and greens would have been nasty firm and fast and it would been a much different course. You can't control mother nature.

Sorry, weather wouldn't have changed much at all.. maybe -10 or -9.  Everyone said the 15mph wind on Sunday would slow guys down.  It did nothing.  This was an easy US Open setup.  There's no polishing this turd.   Like others have said, many US Opens get drenched.  They don't score like this.

6 strokes is a bunch imo.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Ping G 10.5 R
Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5 R
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 22* Hybrid
1999-2000 Hogan Apex Plus 5-PW
Evnroll ER2
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

16

#227 gioguy21

gioguy21

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Joined: 04/09/2013
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1929

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

View Postjonsnow, on 19 June 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostSadTrombone, on 19 June 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

View Postjonsnow, on 19 June 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

View PostBreakingPar, on 19 June 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Harrison Ford could land his plane in those fairways, that's how wide they were.

You mean crash his plane in those fairways?

That's kind of a low blow.  The engine quit, it's not like he just balled it up and said "time for a quick bucket?".

Guess he should have taken the Millenium Falcon up that day...
i'm still second guessing the identity of the blimp pilot.

'get off my blimp...'

*Driver under construction*


Shootout: 917D3 9.5* -- Even Flow Black 65 6.5

*Testing thanks to Aldila & GolfWRX* Aldila X-Torsion Copperhead 70TX

*Testing thanks to Aldila & GolfWRX*  Aldila X-Torsion Black Mamba 70TX

(TESTING THREAD)


2017 M2 Tour 3HL / HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.0 Tipped 3/4"
909H 19* / HZRDUS BLACK 105g 6.5

P770 3-6 /  DG TI 120 X100

P750 7-PW / DG TI 120 X100

MILLED GRIND 52 (SB), 58 (LB)  /  DG S400
SC Adam Scott Modded Chromatic Bronze Futura 6M / 35.5"

TP5x


17

#228 sekrah

sekrah

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109137
  • Joined: 06/07/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

View Postlawsonman, on 19 June 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

View Postsekrah, on 19 June 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 June 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

It was refreshing to see a US Open won at -16.  I can't stand the same USGA setups year after year.  That is the only week all year long someone plays golf that way.  Erin Hills easy?  Who cares?  Everyone has to play the same course.

The other 30 PGA tour events each year that are won at -16 are not enough for you?

This was a piece of s***.

View Postlawsonman, on 19 June 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm not a Mike Davis fan but the USGA caught a bit of bad luck with all the rain they had. Had it not rained so much the fairways and greens would have been nasty firm and fast and it would been a much different course. You can't control mother nature.

Sorry, weather wouldn't have changed much at all.. maybe -10 or -9.  Everyone said the 15mph wind on Sunday would slow guys down.  It did nothing.  This was an easy US Open setup.  There's no polishing this turd.   Like others have said, many US Opens get drenched.  They don't score like this.

6 strokes is a bunch imo.

Wouldn't have changed it into an exciting course.  There's still few hazards actually in play to the pros.  Erin Hills is a snoozer.

18

#229 redfirebird08

redfirebird08

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91707
  • Joined: 08/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1146

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

View Postlawsonman, on 19 June 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm not a Mike Davis fan but the USGA caught a bit of bad luck with all the rain they had. Had it not rained so much the fairways and greens would have been nasty firm and fast and it would been a much different course. You can't control mother nature.

That's not a great excuse. Bethpage in 2002 and 2009 had a ton of rain. Winning scores were -3 and -4. The extremely wide fairways at Erin Hills played a huge factor along with the weather.

19

#230 PGArox

PGArox

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 4408

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

View Postglk, on 19 June 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

View Postratspros, on 19 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

How is being only 4 strokes easier then Oakmont, 3 shots easier then Chambers Bay and 1 shot harder then Pinehurst make Erin Hills too easy?

Man you people are obsessed with Par.  Was Oakmont on the verge of being to east? Must've been with only being 1 stroke a round harder.
Bad comparison.  Try the last par 72 US Open at Pebble Beach in 1992 - winning score there was 285 versus 272 at EH.

Exactly.  And one must be obtuse to not get it.  If a U.S. Open course is setup as a par 72, and they want par to be the benchmark for scoring, then the final winning score should be ... HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS! ... 288.  See how that works?

So let's follow this line of thought.  If this year's final score was, say, 280 ... and a previous year's (on a par 70 course) was also 280, which layout allowed for more birdies?  It's really not that difficult to understand, folks, even though some people on this board seem to have a problem with it.

The fact is - par is very much a significant concept.  It is built into golf, and always has been.  When golf course architects build their designs they assign a number of par to every hole.  A par 3 is meant to be played in ... you guessed it ... three shots.  If it generally plays in 2.85 shots it is considered easy, and if it is generally played in 3.5 shots it is considered difficult.  This stuff is elementary for people who actually understand golf and have a brain.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#231 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 3969

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostShilgy, on 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Sounds like some want the USGA to build their own course and have the US Open there every year. Based on the posts the features would be.......

- about 8000 yards
-soft fairways with Superball tm substrata so they don't get too much roll off the tee but still bounce wildly into the rough. About 18 yards wide should be enough.
-rock hard greens about  200 square feet should be big enough. Some will be 15 on the stimp and some 8 as there is a varying belief about fast of slow being more difficult.
-shin high rough around the greens and to edge of fairways
-uphill on every hole so the the big hitters don't get the downhill advantage
- waste deep bunkers(but not pot bunkers as they are for The Open)

What have I missed? The idea of course is to embarrass and strike fear into the best in the world. Not to identify the best.  Yes the common method of course setup had some great winners. Jack Tiger and Trevino for instance. But it also had it's Dick Mayers and Orville Moodys.  Perhaps that setup was not that great at identifying the best player but selecting winners based on playing styles. If an Andy North can win three times on tour and two of them are US Opens perhaps the setup is not identifying the best but merely the straightest?
That's what I like about the majors.   It takes the ability to win on venues that require different styles/skills. As I noted I don't care to see 2 PGA championships. The Master's is a 2nd shot course and challenge in scrambling/putting. The US Open requires precision in driving and approach shot as well as scrambling and putting. The Open is a test of ability to shot make and play high and low while dealing with the elements of wind and rain. The PGA well . . . it's glory's last stand.   LOL. Actually it's more of Tour stop and unfortunately TV money probably won't allow it but I'd love to see it go back to match play - play qualifier stroke then cut field to 32 or 16 for matches.

Edited by glk, 19 June 2017 - 12:44 PM.


21

#232 gvogel

gvogel

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1050

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

View Postplaya, on 18 June 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostAhoyPolloi, on 17 June 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Wisconsin Open��  I will say that I enjoy the new venues.  I get tired of the same ole rotation...
As an Aussie, why do they seem to only play Opens at SoCal or northern venues? I always thought there were great courses in Texas and Florida but we never see them host the Open. Is it weather related?

They have played 3 US Opens in Texas: 1941 at Colonial (Fort Worth), 1952 at the Northwood Club (Dallas), and 1969 at Champions (Houston).  My guess is that the USGA hasn't been back to Texas because they feel there are better courses for the championship elsewhere.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

22

#233 Joe85

Joe85

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133711
  • Joined: 07/21/2011
  • Location:St. Paul, MN
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

View Postglk, on 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Sounds like some want the USGA to build their own course and have the US Open there every year. Based on the posts the features would be.......

- about 8000 yards
-soft fairways with Superball tm substrata so they don't get too much roll off the tee but still bounce wildly into the rough. About 18 yards wide should be enough.
-rock hard greens about  200 square feet should be big enough. Some will be 15 on the stimp and some 8 as there is a varying belief about fast of slow being more difficult.
-shin high rough around the greens and to edge of fairways
-uphill on every hole so the the big hitters don't get the downhill advantage
- waste deep bunkers(but not pot bunkers as they are for The Open)

What have I missed? The idea of course is to embarrass and strike fear into the best in the world. Not to identify the best.  Yes the common method of course setup had some great winners. Jack Tiger and Trevino for instance. But it also had it's Dick Mayers and Orville Moodys.  Perhaps that setup was not that great at identifying the best player but selecting winners based on playing styles. If an Andy North can win three times on tour and two of them are US Opens perhaps the setup is not identifying the best but merely the straightest?
That's what I like about the majors.   It takes the ability to win on venues that require different styles/skills. As I noted I don't care to see 2 PGA championships. The Master's is a 2nd shot course and challenge in scrambling/putting. The US Open requires precision in driving and approach shot as well as scrambling and putting. The Open is a test of ability to shot make and play high and low while dealing with the elements of wind and rain. The PGA well . . . it's glory's last stand.   LOL. Actually it's more of Tour stop and unfortunately TV money probably won't allow it but I'd love to see it go back to match play - play qualifier stroke then cut field to 32 or 16 for matches.


Totally agree with this one hundred percent. The PGA should go back to its roots and differentiate it in that way. Would totally be better.


Although usually their claim to fame is "top 100 golfers in the world"/"strongest field".

Edited by Joe85, 19 June 2017 - 12:54 PM.

Titleist 983E 8.5*
Sonartec SS03 14*
Mizuno BR - 18* Mizuno CLK 23*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
Solus 51,56,61
Seemore Si4
                WITB Link

23

#234 sekrah

sekrah

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109137
  • Joined: 06/07/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostPGArox, on 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View Postglk, on 19 June 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

View Postratspros, on 19 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

How is being only 4 strokes easier then Oakmont, 3 shots easier then Chambers Bay and 1 shot harder then Pinehurst make Erin Hills too easy?

Man you people are obsessed with Par.  Was Oakmont on the verge of being to east? Must've been with only being 1 stroke a round harder.
Bad comparison.  Try the last par 72 US Open at Pebble Beach in 1992 - winning score there was 285 versus 272 at EH.

Exactly.  And one must be obtuse to not get it.  If a U.S. Open course is setup as a par 72, and they want par to be the benchmark for scoring, then the final winning score should be ... HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS! ... 288.  See how that works?

So let's follow this line of thought.  If this year's final score was, say, 280 ... and a previous year's (on a par 70 course) was also 280, which layout allowed for more birdies?  It's really not that difficult to understand, folks, even though some people on this board seem to have a problem with it.

The fact is - par is very much a significant concept.  It is built into golf, and always has been.  When golf course architects build their designs they assign a number of par to every hole.  A par 3 is meant to be played in ... you guessed it ... three shots.  If it generally plays in 2.85 shots it is considered easy, and if it is generally played in 3.5 shots it is considered difficult.  This stuff is elementary for people who actually understand golf and have a brain.


Can someone sticky this post?  I swear people forget what the definition of golf is.  The course is either easy or it isn't.  Erin Hills is easy.   For U.S. Open standards, it's the easiest course in the tournament's history.

View Postglk, on 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Sounds like some want the USGA to build their own course and have the US Open there every year. Based on the posts the features would be.......

- about 8000 yards
-soft fairways with Superball tm substrata so they don't get too much roll off the tee but still bounce wildly into the rough. About 18 yards wide should be enough.
-rock hard greens about  200 square feet should be big enough. Some will be 15 on the stimp and some 8 as there is a varying belief about fast of slow being more difficult.
-shin high rough around the greens and to edge of fairways
-uphill on every hole so the the big hitters don't get the downhill advantage
- waste deep bunkers(but not pot bunkers as they are for The Open)

What have I missed? The idea of course is to embarrass and strike fear into the best in the world. Not to identify the best.  Yes the common method of course setup had some great winners. Jack Tiger and Trevino for instance. But it also had it's Dick Mayers and Orville Moodys.  Perhaps that setup was not that great at identifying the best player but selecting winners based on playing styles. If an Andy North can win three times on tour and two of them are US Opens perhaps the setup is not identifying the best but merely the straightest?
That's what I like about the majors.   It takes the ability to win on venues that require different styles/skills. As I noted I don't care to see 2 PGA championships. The Master's is a 2nd shot course and challenge in scrambling/putting. The US Open requires precision in driving and approach shot as well as scrambling and putting. The Open is a test of ability to shot make and play high and low while dealing with the elements of wind and rain. The PGA well . . . it's glory's last stand.   LOL. Actually it's more of Tour stop and unfortunately TV money probably won't allow it but I'd love to see it go back to match play - play qualifier stroke then cut field to 32 or 16 for matches.


The U.S. Open is on its way to just being another Tour stop if they keep playing at easy tracks like Erin Hills.

24

#235 PGArox

PGArox

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 4408

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

View Postglk, on 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

The Masters is a 2nd shot course and challenge in scrambling/putting.    The US Open requires precision in driving and approach shot as well as scrambling and putting.    The Open is a test of ability to shot make and play high and low while dealing with the elements of wind and rain.    The PGA well . . . it's glory's last stand.

LOL!  Well done. :)


25

#236 SadTrombone

SadTrombone

    .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2444

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

View Postsekrah, on 19 June 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

View PostPGArox, on 19 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View Postglk, on 19 June 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

View Postratspros, on 19 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

How is being only 4 strokes easier then Oakmont, 3 shots easier then Chambers Bay and 1 shot harder then Pinehurst make Erin Hills too easy?

Man you people are obsessed with Par.  Was Oakmont on the verge of being to east? Must've been with only being 1 stroke a round harder.
Bad comparison.  Try the last par 72 US Open at Pebble Beach in 1992 - winning score there was 285 versus 272 at EH.

Exactly.  And one must be obtuse to not get it.  If a U.S. Open course is setup as a par 72, and they want par to be the benchmark for scoring, then the final winning score should be ... HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS! ... 288.  See how that works?

So let's follow this line of thought.  If this year's final score was, say, 280 ... and a previous year's (on a par 70 course) was also 280, which layout allowed for more birdies?  It's really not that difficult to understand, folks, even though some people on this board seem to have a problem with it.

The fact is - par is very much a significant concept.  It is built into golf, and always has been.  When golf course architects build their designs they assign a number of par to every hole.  A par 3 is meant to be played in ... you guessed it ... three shots.  If it generally plays in 2.85 shots it is considered easy, and if it is generally played in 3.5 shots it is considered difficult.  This stuff is elementary for people who actually understand golf and have a brain.


Can someone sticky this post?  I swear people forget what the definition of golf is.  The course is either easy or it isn't.  Erin Hills is easy.   For U.S. Open standards, it's the easiest course in the tournament's history.

Golf
noun
1) a game in which clubs with wooden or metal heads are used to hit a small, whit eball into a number of holes, usually 9 or 18, in succession, situated at various distances over a course having natural or artificial obstacles, the object being to get the ball into each hole in as few strokes as possible.
2) a word used in communications to represent the letter G.
verb.
1) to play golf.

I don't see anything in here about par.  I do see, within the definition, "get the ball into each hole in as few strokes as possible."

26

#237 PGArox

PGArox

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 4408

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

View Postgvogel, on 19 June 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 18 June 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostAhoyPolloi, on 17 June 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Wisconsin Open��  I will say that I enjoy the new venues.  I get tired of the same ole rotation...
As an Aussie, why do they seem to only play Opens at SoCal or northern venues? I always thought there were great courses in Texas and Florida but we never see them host the Open. Is it weather related?

They have played 3 US Opens in Texas: 1941 at Colonial (Fort Worth), 1952 at the Northwood Club (Dallas), and 1969 at Champions (Houston).  My guess is that the USGA hasn't been back to Texas because they feel there are better courses for the championship elsewhere.

Yeah, I have never bought the heat issue.  It gets darned hot in Tulsa, Oklahoma ... just as hot as Texas ... and Southern Hills has hosted several majors, with another coming soon.

The fact is, while the great state of Texas has many fine courses, the USGA and PGA of America obviously feel there is not a course worthy of a major championship.

As an aside, if you look at GOLF Magazine's or Golf Digest's rankings of the 100 greatest courses in the United States, the state of Texas is woefully lacking on those lists.

California, and more especially southern California, would seem to be the ideal location to hold a major championship, what with its almost always great weather and large population centers.  There is no doubt in my mind that famed and fabled Riviera Country Club would be much more highly sought after by the USGA and PGA of America were it not for its extremely troublesome logistical problems.

When Trump National Los Angeles (Palos Verdes) was first conceived by Pete Dye, and named Ocean Trails, the idea was to bring seaside major championship golf to southern California.  We even called it Pebble Beach South. :)  Unfortunately, things just never panned out the way we had hoped. :(

Edited by PGArox, 19 June 2017 - 01:58 PM.


27

#238 SadTrombone

SadTrombone

    .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2444

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

View PostPGArox, on 19 June 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 19 June 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 18 June 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostAhoyPolloi, on 17 June 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Wisconsin Open��  I will say that I enjoy the new venues.  I get tired of the same ole rotation...
As an Aussie, why do they seem to only play Opens at SoCal or northern venues? I always thought there were great courses in Texas and Florida but we never see them host the Open. Is it weather related?

They have played 3 US Opens in Texas: 1941 at Colonial (Fort Worth), 1952 at the Northwood Club (Dallas), and 1969 at Champions (Houston).  My guess is that the USGA hasn't been back to Texas because they feel there are better courses for the championship elsewhere.

Yeah, I have never bought the heat issue.  It gets darned hot in Tulsa, Oklahoma ... just as hot as Texas ... and Southern Hills has hosted several majors, with another coming soon.

The fact is, while the great state of Texas has many fine courses, the USGA and PGA of America obviously feel there is not a course worthy of a major championship.

As an aside, if you look at GOLF Magazine's or Golf Digest's rankings of the 100 greatest courses in the United States, the state of Texas is woefully lacking on those lists.

California, and more especially southern California, would seem to be the ideal location to hold a major championship, what with its almost always great weather and large population centers.  There is no doubt in my mind that famed and fabled Riviera Country Club would be much more highly sought after by the USGA and PGA of America were it not for its extremely troublesome logistical problems.

When Trump National Los Angeles (Palos Verdes) was first conceived by Pete Dye, and named Ocean Trails) the idea was to bring seaside major championship golf to southern California.  We even called it Pebble Beach South. :)  Unfortunately, things just never panned out the way we had hoped. :(

Not just the weather and population centers, but think of the TV.  You'd have the leaders playing in prime time on the east coast.  Ratings bonanza!

28

#239 bermuda

bermuda

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42877
  • Joined: 11/28/2007
  • Location:Eastern NC, USA
  • Ebay ID:al_neri
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostSadTrombone, on 19 June 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:


Not just the weather and population centers, but think of the TV.  You'd have the leaders playing in prime time on the east coast.  Ratings bonanza!

That's why I love West Coast majors.

29

#240 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 3967

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostPGArox, on 19 June 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 19 June 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

View Postplaya, on 18 June 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostAhoyPolloi, on 17 June 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Wisconsin Open��  I will say that I enjoy the new venues.  I get tired of the same ole rotation...
As an Aussie, why do they seem to only play Opens at SoCal or northern venues? I always thought there were great courses in Texas and Florida but we never see them host the Open. Is it weather related?

They have played 3 US Opens in Texas: 1941 at Colonial (Fort Worth), 1952 at the Northwood Club (Dallas), and 1969 at Champions (Houston).  My guess is that the USGA hasn't been back to Texas because they feel there are better courses for the championship elsewhere.

Yeah, I have never bought the heat issue.  It gets darned hot in Tulsa, Oklahoma ... just as hot as Texas ... and Southern Hills has hosted several majors, with another coming soon.

The fact is, while the great state of Texas has many fine courses, the USGA and PGA of America obviously feel there is not a course worthy of a major championship.

As an aside, if you look at GOLF Magazine's or Golf Digest's rankings of the 100 greatest courses in the United States, the state of Texas is woefully lacking on those lists.

California, and more especially southern California, would seem to be the ideal location to hold a major championship, what with its almost always great weather and large population centers.  There is no doubt in my mind that famed and fabled Riviera Country Club would be much more highly sought after by the USGA and PGA of America were it not for its extremely troublesome logistical problems.

When Trump National Los Angeles (Palos Verdes) was first conceived by Pete Dye, and named Ocean Trails, the idea was to bring seaside major championship golf to southern California.  We even called it Pebble Beach South. :)  Unfortunately, things just never panned out the way we had hoped. :(
Infrastructure and fan access is almost more important than the course these days. Which is why Merion was a odd deal. As I recall they limited tickets to 25 thousand a day? That will not fly every year. There has to be room for hospitality tents, parking and such to host major events today.

Callaway Epic SZ Fujikura Atmos Black 6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Adams A12 UST Silver S 19* & 21*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-P Nippon pm 125x
Nike Engage 50* SS
Nike Engage 54* TS
Nike Engage 58 * TS
Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors