Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Johnny laughs at 63


170 replies to this topic

#61 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

View Postgrm24, on 17 June 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Only two players in the first 116 US Opens ever reached 10 under par. Tiger in 2000 and Rory in 2011.
Gil Morgan in 1992 @ Pebble Beach was the first player to reach 10 under par in the US Open and got it to 12 under by the 7th hole.
Then the wheels fell off finishing 77-81 in rounds 3 & 4.

View Posteebomb, on 17 June 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Only two players in the first 116 US Opens ever reached 10 under par. Tiger in 2000 and Rory in 2011. There are currently five players at 10 under par or better through three rounds. But do tell me again how this course is super difficult.
read the thread.  Course was set up based on normal wiscy winds and not being soft. If winds were up and not soft scores would be half of what they are now
That and if is was being played as a par 70.

I won't be too hard on myself for forgetting Morgan considering the self-immolation that took place in the ensuing rounds. Point still stands, this course is giving up scores at a record pace.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 dan360

dan360

    not a jacked loft

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6039

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:35 PM

Johnny Miller says,
Whoever mowed the fescue,
Is my friend for life.
As of 01AUG2017

Mizuno JPX-800 9°
TaylorMade R7TPST 15°

Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron
Mizuno MP-33 3-P custom single length

Mizuno MP-T11 54/60
PING Anser 2 'pat pending' stainless 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
PING Hoofer green

2

#63 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 4687

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 17 June 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

One more reason to dislike Johnny Miller.
no it's not.
Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway GBB 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

3

#64 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 10:32 PM, said:

View Postgrm24, on 17 June 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Only two players in the first 116 US Opens ever reached 10 under par. Tiger in 2000 and Rory in 2011.
Gil Morgan in 1992 @ Pebble Beach was the first player to reach 10 under par in the US Open and got it to 12 under by the 7th hole.
Then the wheels fell off finishing 77-81 in rounds 3 & 4.

View Posteebomb, on 17 June 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Only two players in the first 116 US Opens ever reached 10 under par. Tiger in 2000 and Rory in 2011. There are currently five players at 10 under par or better through three rounds. But do tell me again how this course is super difficult.
read the thread.  Course was set up based on normal wiscy winds and not being soft. If winds were up and not soft scores would be half of what they are now
That and if is was being played as a par 70.

I won't be too hard on myself for forgetting Morgan considering the self-immolation that took place in the ensuing rounds. Point still stands, this course is giving up scores at a record pace.
If the USGA had set the course up as a par 70 and only 6 under was leading after 3 rounds instead of 12 under how would you view it?

4

#65 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 4687

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

View Postherdman, on 17 June 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

The golfers of today are better athletes. They are in better physical condition. The fields are deeper. The world is much smaller with modern day air travel. It is truly a global game at the highest level. There are more better players that train more and are the fields are much deeper.

Loved the old days, but it is a new era. That doesn't diminish Millers accomplishment or Thomas's accomplishment today. Both are remarkable.
Today's golf course was nearly 1,000 yards longer than Oakmont in 1973. Not saying it as hard as Oakmont, but that is worth noting.
wrong. Not worth noting. JM used balata and persimmon. Has fairways 1/2 the width and faster firmer greens with rough around the greens. Try again.

Edited by dlygrisse, 17 June 2017 - 10:45 PM.

Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway GBB 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

5

#66 freelanceterry

freelanceterry

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26615
  • Joined: 03/12/2007
  • Location:ND
  • Ebay ID:streifela
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

Actually JM didn't use balata for 73 Oakmont....

View Postdlygrisse, on 17 June 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

View Postherdman, on 17 June 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

The golfers of today are better athletes. They are in better physical condition. The fields are deeper. The world is much smaller with modern day air travel. It is truly a global game at the highest level. There are more better players that train more and are the fields are much deeper.

Loved the old days, but it is a new era. That doesn't diminish Millers accomplishment or Thomas's accomplishment today. Both are remarkable.
Today's golf course was nearly 1,000 yards longer than Oakmont in 1973. Not saying it as hard as Oakmont, but that is worth noting.
wrong. Not worth noting. JM used balata and persimmon. Has fairways 1/2 the width and faster firmer greens with rough around the greens. Try again.


6

#67 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

Quote

If the USGA had set the course up as a par 70 and only 6 under was leading after 3 rounds instead of 12 under how would you view it?

That's a great question. I'll have to think on that. As far as the course I probably would have a kinder view. But I would still be disappointed in the leaderboard. I do think it would have been more demanding if they used the forward tees on a couple of the par 5s and turned them into par 4s. I think the USGA's first (and perhaps biggest) mistake was seriously misjudging how easily these guys could reach 650 yard par 5s.

Edited by youdamantiger, 18 June 2017 - 12:52 AM.


7

#68 ray9898

ray9898

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419990
  • Joined: 04/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:29 AM

Great round.....but not the round played in 63 when compared to difficulty and the related competitors scores.

8

#69 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1453

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

View PostJaNelson38, on 17 June 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

If touring pros can't put up good scores in soft, receptive conditions, you've built a bad golf course.

Erin Hills will be a different animal if the wind blows tomorrow.  But a 63 is a 63 at a major, no matter the course.

I'm getting tired of the "it's just another tour event" narrative going around just because it's not a bloodbath.  This is a monster of a course, and these guys are playing great.  And you have a mix of playing styles at the front.

No a certain score is never a certain score as courses, conditions etc change. Not a bloodbath, its a scoring bonanza? Its a freaking typical your event.

9

#70 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1453

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:47 AM

View Postherdman, on 17 June 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

The golfers of today are better athletes. They are in better physical condition. The fields are deeper. The world is much smaller with modern day air travel. It is truly a global game at the highest level. There are more better players that train more and are the fields are much deeper.

Loved the old days, but it is a new era. That doesn't diminish Millers accomplishment or Thomas's accomplishment today. Both are remarkable.
Today's golf course was nearly 1,000 yards longer than Oakmont in 1973. Not saying it as hard as Oakmont, but that is worth noting.

You forgot the equipment.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 Shankieboink

Shankieboink

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130733
  • Joined: 06/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:48 AM

Well, why talk about Millers 63 when we had Stensons 63 last year, or even Phils.. Great round by JT, but if we are going to compare. Anyone has the score relative to field for those btw? Also, Jim Furyks -59 was awsome, but that wasn't even close to a Major field. Strength of field is everything. Would also be interesting to see what Stenson and Phil had relative to field for whole tournament and compare that to other wins. Must have been close to the top of all time?

In the end. Most important thing to remember is that we will never see a 62 in a Major. It was decided by some golf god, long time ago...

Edited by Shankieboink, 18 June 2017 - 04:50 AM.


11

#72 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1453

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

View Posteebomb, on 17 June 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Only two players in the first 116 US Opens ever reached 10 under par. Tiger in 2000 and Rory in 2011. There are currently five players at 10 under par or better through three rounds. But do tell me again how this course is super difficult.
read the thread.  Course was set up based on normal wiscy winds and not being soft. If winds were up and not soft scores would be half of what they are now
So the USGA has no access to the Weather Channel

12

#73 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3761

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

Johnnys 63 at Oakmont certainly was a greater accomplishment as it was at Oakmont on Sunday, but he came out early and came from way back without the pressure the last groups feel. Not trying to diminish the greatness of his round, just saying he could freewheel it without the pressure of the title being on the line til probably the last few holes when he knew he was doing something special.

13

#74 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4158

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

View Postplaya, on 18 June 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

Johnnys 63 at Oakmont certainly was a greater accomplishment as it was at Oakmont on Sunday, but he came out early and came from way back without the pressure the last groups feel. Not trying to diminish the greatness of his round, just saying he could freewheel it without the pressure of the title being on the line til probably the last few holes when he knew he was doing something special.
Johnny was tied for 13th going into the final round.   6 back.   Like Hideki, and a bunch of others at -6 today.

Only 3 other players broke par that day.    Quite different than yesterday when the field shot even par.

Edited by glk, 18 June 2017 - 05:30 AM.


14

#75 Night train

Night train

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1246

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

Different time, different equipment, different courses...........both fabulous rounds, as is any 63 shot in a major

Just be happy you got to see it.
Well done Justin Thomas!


15

#76 dpb5031

dpb5031

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
  • Joined: 10/21/2008
  • Location:Central NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 1692

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

I just saw Johnny Miller's comments on GC.

There will be plenty of writers and other pundits who will agree with Johnny and continue to support his round at Oakmont as the greatest in a major, and they're probably correct in that assessment.

I just can't believe that Miller isn't emotionally intelligent enough to simply keep his mouth shut and let others boast for him, as they undoubtedly will. JM has made himself look like an azz with those comments.

16

#77 shortgame85

shortgame85

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41904
  • Joined: 11/06/2007
  • Location:Mississippi
  • Handicap:10.9
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

Johnny laughs at 63: Miller was certainly a great player, and his 63 at Oakmont was a round for the ages. However, Miller's comments and, most especially, the tone of his comments regarding Thomas' achievement is nothing less than boorish. He could have left it at, "Congratulations to Justin. He had a great round and I wish him well." But he cannot resist pointing out, in whatever oblique way, that his 63 was different. Of course it was different: it was for the win, at Oakmont on Sunday. But he didn't have to rain on Justin's parade. It was not only unnecessary, it displayed a lack of graciousness. In this way, Miller indeed sets himself apart from many of the game's greatest, such as Nicklaus and Palmer, who invariably deferred to a learned or inherent graciousness and let the obviousness of their glorious achievements speak for itself.
G25 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G25 20 and 23 degree hybrids
G25 5 - GW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

17

#78 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
  • Joined: 09/24/2012
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 1062

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:29 AM

View Postdpb5031, on 18 June 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

I just saw Johnny Miller's comments on GC.

There will be plenty of writers and other pundits who will agree with Johnny and continue to support his round at Oakmont as the greatest in a major, and they're probably correct in that assessment.

I just can't believe that Miller isn't emotionally intelligent enough to simply keep his mouth shut and let others boast for him, as they undoubtedly will. JM has made himself look like an azz with those comments.

This!
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

18

#79 upndowninthree

upndowninthree

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16994
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

Johnny is doing what he's paid to do, he's giving his opinion on a subject that he was asked about, stye is irrelevant.  If he was to have the reaction of say , Nicklaus, that would be no fun.  Classy, yeah, Jack is aways all class, but again a little boring.  Miller like's to stir it up.  And comparing things from different era's is always difficult.

19

#80 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

When more than a handful of players are close to the number it speaks for itself. Nice score but this is an everyday tour setup.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 Ignatius Reilly

Ignatius Reilly

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454100
  • Joined: 02/04/2017
  • Location:Toronto
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

View Postdan360, on 17 June 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

Johnny Miller looks,
Down Erin Hills fairways and
Says, fake U.S. Open.

Haikudos for that!

21

#82 glm

glm

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404464
  • Joined: 12/01/2015
  • Location:Tennessee
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

records are made to be broken
even johnny would have to agree with that

also johnny did not play any 500+ yard par 4's or 600+ yard par 5's

JMO

22

#83 Ajit

Ajit

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97941
  • Joined: 11/04/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostGolfnutgalen, on 17 June 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

Justin Thomas was 9.2 shots better than the field average for the day as compared to Miller's 10.8 shots better.  They are both remarkable, in fact Thomas' round was even better (by fractions) than his 59 earlier this season as compared to the field.

Neither of those quite compare to the 59 Jim Furyk shot in 2013 which was a staggering 12.1 shots better than the field average. Of course it wasn't at a major which probably does diminish it just a bit.

Great post. You win this thread.

23

#84 WilCox

WilCox

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27591
  • Joined: 04/08/2007
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Thomas could have shot 59 and Miller would still have reacted the same.

Face it, Johnny, you've been bumped.
Titleist 917D2 10*
Callaway XR16 Pro 16*
Mizuno JPX900  4-P
Vokey  52* & 58*
Scotty NP2

24

#85 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostWilCox, on 18 June 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Thomas could have shot 59 and Miller would still have reacted the same.

Face it, Johnny, you've been bumped.

Little early to be drinking that hard.  Any records or scores this week are a joke.


25

#86 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1813

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think it should also be pointed out to help Miller's argument that the Lakers of the early 70s would smoke this years Warriors team. Everything was better back then.

26

#87 Golfnutgalen

Golfnutgalen

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147351
  • Joined: 11/18/2011
  • Location:kalispell, MT USA
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostAjit, on 18 June 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

View PostGolfnutgalen, on 17 June 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

Justin Thomas was 9.2 shots better than the field average for the day as compared to Miller's 10.8 shots better.  They are both remarkable, in fact Thomas' round was even better (by fractions) than his 59 earlier this season as compared to the field.

Neither of those quite compare to the 59 Jim Furyk shot in 2013 which was a staggering 12.1 shots better than the field average. Of course it wasn't at a major which probably does diminish it just a bit.

Great post. You win this thread.

Thanks man!

I could not find the field average for the 2016 final round which I was curious about as well...I had to just add them all up myself to find out. Stenson's 63 was 9.8 shots better than the field that day which was 72.80.

27

#88 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1973

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Miller should tell the truth. These kids play a different game completely. With today's equipment, he would have shot a 53!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

28

#89 WilCox

WilCox

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27591
  • Joined: 04/08/2007
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

View Postkg92lefty, on 18 June 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostWilCox, on 18 June 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Thomas could have shot 59 and Miller would still have reacted the same. Face it, Johnny, you've been bumped.
Little early to be drinking that hard. Any records or scores this week are a joke.

#1 Dustin Johnson, #2 Rory McIlroy and #3 Jason Day all missed the cut.  I guess they weren't in on the joke.
Titleist 917D2 10*
Callaway XR16 Pro 16*
Mizuno JPX900  4-P
Vokey  52* & 58*
Scotty NP2

29

#90 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostWilCox, on 18 June 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

View Postkg92lefty, on 18 June 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostWilCox, on 18 June 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Thomas could have shot 59 and Miller would still have reacted the same. Face it, Johnny, you've been bumped.
Little early to be drinking that hard. Any records or scores this week are a joke.

#1 Dustin Johnson, #2 Rory McIlroy and #3 Jason Day all missed the cut.  I guess they weren't in on the joke.

Doesn't make the course hard.  Means they played awful.  When you hit a driver as bad as Rory did those two days you shouldnt make the cut anywhere.  Add in that Rory and Day don't even care about golf, they just want to be ripped.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors