Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Johnny laughs at 63


170 replies to this topic

#1 mizuno player

mizuno player

    Mizuno player

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119445
  • Joined: 12/27/2010
  • Location:maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 407

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Is Johnny going to laugh of Justin's 63 because it's not a "real" US Open course? Too many under par rounds to count. It's like a regular tour event.

I say yes. He did it with an incredible 2nd on 18.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Vindog

Vindog

    Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 6106

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

Johnny laughs at the Four Winds.
Laughs from his mountain
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

2

#3 mjen43

mjen43

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119001
  • Joined: 12/16/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 438

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

Who cares what Miller thinks about JT's excellent round.

3

#4 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

View Postmizuno player, on 17 June 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

Is Johnny going to laugh of Justin's 63 because it's not a "real" US Open course? Too many under par rounds to count. It's like a regular tour event.

I say yes. He did it with an incredible 2nd on 18.

He already released a statement about it and, yes, he basically said Thomas was playing a course that wasn't really a US Open course. I happen to agree with him. I think Miller's 63 was better. It was at Oakmont. In the final round. To win. Doesn't get much better. The only 63 to match it in my mind was Henrik's 63 in the final round to outduel Phil at Troon.

Edited by youdamantiger, 17 June 2017 - 06:49 PM.


4

#5 hankmoody

hankmoody

    Title Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275573
  • Joined: 09/11/2013
  • Handicap:12.6
GolfWRX Likes : 634

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

If JT goes on to win tomorrow, the historical significance goes up a notch.

M2 10.5 & 3W
816h 21
C16 5-PW
SM5 50, SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan DH89
TP5

5

#6 GFish

GFish

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25955
  • Joined: 02/25/2007
  • Location:Amherst, OH
  • Ebay ID:gfish49
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

He most certainly will laugh.  Definitley not the same 63.

6

#7 Vindog

Vindog

    Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 6106

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

63 with 2 bogeys tho
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

7

#8 stu_man

stu_man

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107853
  • Joined: 05/12/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

There may be a major championship round better than Johnny Miller's round in 1973 to come.  This was not it.

8

#9 cardoustie

cardoustie

    Canada Cup 1973

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4804

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

Miller shot 63 when the scoring avg was way over par

Today set an all time low scoring record for the field at a US Open

No comparison, Thomas had a good round

Edited by cardoustie, 17 June 2017 - 06:59 PM.

TaylorMade '16 M2 11* GD AD DI 6x
Callaway 3w GB Bertha 15* AD MT 6s
Callaway Vseries Hvnwd 20.5* Kuro Kage 70s
Callaway Apex 4h & 5h Kuro Kage 80s
PIng s55 6 - PW Nippon Tour 1150GH x
Vokey SM2 50* & 54*M TVD dg s400
Vokey SM5 58*M & 62*T dg s400
Scotty Cameron X7m

9

#10 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
  • Joined: 01/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 395

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

cant compare erin hills to oakmont

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 Oban Gold 65s
Callaway GBB Epic 15 Oban Gold 75s
Mizuno CLK 20 Tour Blue 85s
Srixon 765/565 Modus 105s
Callaway MD3 54 Wedge Modus 125
Callaway MD3 56 Wedge Modus 115
Callaway MD3 58 forged Modus 105
Bettinardi Queen Bee
Callaway Chrome Soft X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 PGArox

PGArox

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 4853

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

Well, you have to remember that nearly two inches of rain fell overnight at Oakmont before the final round in 1973, and the greens were much more receptive for Johnny's 63.  A young Lanny Wadkins shot a 65 that day.

Don't get me wrong, Oakmont played very tough that week, even on Sunday.  Most of the guys shot in the mid 70's in that final round, and I'm sure the field scoring average that day was around 75.  Only four guys broke 70.  But Johnny likely does not shoot his 63 without a little favor from Mother Nature. :)

11

#12 ctime

ctime

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2126
  • Joined: 07/02/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Screw Johnny Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12

#13 tbowles411

tbowles411

    In Gee Chun

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia (One day I hope to be a Texan!)
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5321

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

One more reason to dislike Johnny Miller.
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Sigma G Piper 3
Ball: Titelist DT Trusoft

13

#14 stu_man

stu_man

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107853
  • Joined: 05/12/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Every time I think Johnny's round was maybe just a great round.. I go back and look at the clubs he used and think about the course he shot it on.  Yeah, greatest round ever.  Period.

14

#15 McCann1

McCann1

    Tour Player

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Joined: 02/03/2016
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 1306

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

Quietly Johnny weeps as he watches the rerun of his 63 some 40 years ago..

Enjoy the chase.

15

#16 ghostrider

ghostrider

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137880
  • Joined: 08/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

And considering what the USGA did the next year at Winged Foot where Hale won with something like 7 over - anyone playing tomorrow might be in for some surprises.

16

#17 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 1459

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

If touring pros can't put up good scores in soft, receptive conditions, you've built a bad golf course.

Erin Hills will be a different animal if the wind blows tomorrow.  But a 63 is a 63 at a major, no matter the course.

I'm getting tired of the "it's just another tour event" narrative going around just because it's not a bloodbath.  This is a monster of a course, and these guys are playing great.  And you have a mix of playing styles at the front.

17

#18 ricknoberts

ricknoberts

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33497
  • Joined: 07/02/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

Comparing Thomas' 63 is like comparing Spieth's scoring at Augusta in 2015 to what Tiger did in '97. Yes, the aggregate scores were there, but Erin Hills and August in 2015 were significantly easier courses for the rest of the field than either Oakmont or Augusta in '97, which is supported by the scoring of the rest of the field.

While Miller boasts far too often and loudly about his 63, he is right that this round did not measure up to the one he posted at Oakmont.

FiveThirtyEight covered this a few years ago. Here is a nice graphical representation:

Posted Image

I will bet that Thomas' round today probably isn't even one of the twenty greatest rounds ever played at a US Open.

Edited by ricknoberts, 17 June 2017 - 07:16 PM.


18

#19 mizuno player

mizuno player

    Mizuno player

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119445
  • Joined: 12/27/2010
  • Location:maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 407

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

I agree, this is no Oakmont. However, he should just say great round and leave it at that.

Records are broken. Johnny will never accept that no matter the course.



19

#20 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

View Postghostrider, on 17 June 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

And considering what the USGA did the next year at Winged Foot where Hale won with something like 7 over - anyone playing tomorrow might be in for some surprises.

I think the USGA will definitely be looking for some payback next year at Shinnecock but there's not a lot they can do for tomorrow. The course really handcuffs them. Not a lot you can do to Erin to trick it up. The fairways are just too wide and the fescue won't have time to grow in from where they cut it on Wednesday. About the only thing they can do is set the tees back as far as they'll go and tuck the pins. And that won't be enough. They'll need some help from Mother Nature.

Edited by youdamantiger, 17 June 2017 - 07:22 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 jplroper

jplroper

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288987
  • Joined: 12/26/2013
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Very lame to discount someones achievement.

21

#22 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1811

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

Get off Johnny's lawn, Justin!

22

#23 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

View Postjplroper, on 17 June 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

Very lame to discount someones achievement.

Very fair to put it in perspective though.

23

#24 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 1459

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Postghostrider, on 17 June 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

And considering what the USGA did the next year at Winged Foot where Hale won with something like 7 over - anyone playing tomorrow might be in for some surprises.

I think the USGA will definitely be looking for some payback next year at Shinnecock but there's not a lot they can do for tomorrow. The course really handcuffs them. Not a lot you can do to Erin to trick it up. The fairways are just too wide and the fescue won't have time to grow in from where they cut it on Wednesday. About the only thing they can do is set the tees back as far as they'll go and tuck the pins. And that won't be enough. They'll need some help from Mother Nature.

If the USGA is smart, theyll set up the course to be as gettable as they can.

We've got record scoring and about 16 guys with a legit shot to win.  Dont muck it up now.  Let these guys put on a show.

24

#25 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

Just another tournament.


25

#26 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Joined: 12/17/2011
  • Location:Destin, Florida
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostJaNelson38, on 17 June 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Postghostrider, on 17 June 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

And considering what the USGA did the next year at Winged Foot where Hale won with something like 7 over - anyone playing tomorrow might be in for some surprises.

I think the USGA will definitely be looking for some payback next year at Shinnecock but there's not a lot they can do for tomorrow. The course really handcuffs them. Not a lot you can do to Erin to trick it up. The fairways are just too wide and the fescue won't have time to grow in from where they cut it on Wednesday. About the only thing they can do is set the tees back as far as they'll go and tuck the pins. And that won't be enough. They'll need some help from Mother Nature.

If the USGA is smart, theyll set up the course to be as gettable as they can.

We've got record scoring and about 16 guys with a legit shot to win.  Dont muck it up now.  Let these guys put on a show.

These guys put on a show every week. I'd rather see how they handle penal conditions.

26

#27 PGArox

PGArox

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 4853

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

View Postgolfheaven69, on 17 June 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

Just another tournament.

And today's just another day.

27

#28 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 887

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

View PostPGArox, on 17 June 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, Oakmont played very tough that week, even on Sunday.  Most of the guys shot in the mid 70's in that final round, and I'm sure the field scoring average that day was around 75.  Only four guys broke 70.
Close. It was 73.77

28

#29 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 887

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostPGArox, on 17 June 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Well, you have to remember that nearly two inches of rain fell overnight at Oakmont before the final round in 1973,
Actually it didn't. It rained prior to Saturday's round and after the US Open was completed. Pretty interest fact sheet on Millers 63 linked below.

http://www.history.c...sSchlossman.pdf

3. Contrary to a widespread but erroneous impression — as attested by the reports of the U.S. Weather Service and major newspapers in western Pennsylvania — the only considerable rainfall during the 1973 U.S. Open at Oakmont Country Club occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning, prior to the third round. As a result, play was delayed an hour or so. The ferocious storm that some writers have attributed to Saturday night — the night before Miller shot 63 — actually occurred on Sunday night, after play was over.

Edited by grm24, 17 June 2017 - 07:38 PM.


29

#30 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 1459

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostJaNelson38, on 17 June 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 17 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

View Postghostrider, on 17 June 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

And considering what the USGA did the next year at Winged Foot where Hale won with something like 7 over - anyone playing tomorrow might be in for some surprises.

I think the USGA will definitely be looking for some payback next year at Shinnecock but there's not a lot they can do for tomorrow. The course really handcuffs them. Not a lot you can do to Erin to trick it up. The fairways are just too wide and the fescue won't have time to grow in from where they cut it on Wednesday. About the only thing they can do is set the tees back as far as they'll go and tuck the pins. And that won't be enough. They'll need some help from Mother Nature.

If the USGA is smart, theyll set up the course to be as gettable as they can.

We've got record scoring and about 16 guys with a legit shot to win.  Dont muck it up now.  Let these guys put on a show.

These guys put on a show every week. I'd rather see how they handle penal conditions.
  

18 of 68 guys broke 70 on a par 72 course.

17 guys shot 75 or higher.

Even on a day like today where the course was gettable, it's not like everyone was shooting 65.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors