Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2017 M2 Driver (Including Version 2) Vs Epic SZ


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Stonebridge

Stonebridge

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149941
  • Joined: 12/05/2011
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

Interested in opinions on M2 driver vs Epic Sub Zero. Has anyone hit both including the new version 2 model and how do you they perform against each other in launch,spin, dispersion,etc. Have seen youtube videos but looking for feedback from the community? Thanks


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 pricenicky

pricenicky

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45311
  • Joined: 01/07/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostStonebridge, on 16 June 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Interested in opinions on M2 driver vs Epic Sub Zero. Has anyone hit both including the new version 2 model and how do you they perform against each other in launch,spin, dispersion,etc. Have seen youtube videos but looking for feedback from the community? Thanks

Hi GREAT QUESTION :I just returned from a session at my club on a gc 4   to assess my sz 9 with ad di vs. the 2017 m2.The m2 could not equal the sz in ball speed .It was about 4 mph slower.Spin was about 400 rpm less with the sz.Launch was within 1 degree .The sz produced very consistent distances whereas the M2 varied by 8yds. I wanted to see if the M2 COULD GIVE ME MORE DISTANCE  .I tried 3 shafts with it but it seems the sz is optimized.

2

#3 Stonebridge

Stonebridge

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149941
  • Joined: 12/05/2011
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

View Postpricenicky, on 16 June 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

View PostStonebridge, on 16 June 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Interested in opinions on M2 driver vs Epic Sub Zero. Has anyone hit both including the new version 2 model and how do you they perform against each other in launch,spin, dispersion,etc. Have seen youtube videos but looking for feedback from the community? Thanks

Hi GREAT QUESTION :I just returned from a session at my club on a gc 4   to assess my sz 9 with ad di vs. the 2017 m2.The m2 could not equal the sz in ball speed .It was about 4 mph slower.Spin was about 400 rpm less with the sz.Launch was within 1 degree .The sz produced very consistent distances whereas the M2 varied by 8yds. I wanted to see if the M2 COULD GIVE ME MORE DISTANCE  .I tried 3 shafts with it but it seems the sz is optimized.

Thanks for your input. I will be conducting a test next week with M1 440, M2 V2 and Epic SZ using DC 80 TX as the test shaft. Just interested if others have already done their own shootout. Thanks again.

3

#4 radiman

radiman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56856
  • Joined: 05/30/2008
  • Location:Moorhead, MN
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

There's an M2 version 2? Tour only?
Epic SZ 10.5 w/Graphite Design AD TP 6X
BBA 815 3 Wood Stock Speeder 665x
Mizuno MP-15 4-PW S300
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Callaway MD3 52, 58, 64
All crammed in my Ping Hoofer

4

#5 vwgolfer

vwgolfer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5955
  • Joined: 09/11/2005
  • Location:California
  • Ebay ID:7458eric
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

Don't really care which goes further, but based on sound alone Epic wins by a landslide. M series sounds crap

F7 + doubleweight. attas 6star
LTD. attas 3
F6 hybrid. vts
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Evnroll er2

5

#6 MuskieCy

MuskieCy

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29480
  • Joined: 05/22/2007
  • Location:Center Cut
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

View Postvwgolfer, on 18 June 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Don't really care which goes further, but based on sound alone Epic wins by a landslide. M series sounds crap

"That Maserati sounds like a total POS!!!!!!! Loud and all that!  Get me the Passat, much more subtle,...an acquired taste."

If you think anybody cares about the sound of your driver, remember this,.....nobody gives a S! Really.

And your Passat sounds like crap. Especially the cheating, spewing diesel ones.

6

#7 Golfingfanatic

Golfingfanatic

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208029
  • Joined: 10/21/2012
  • Location:Switzerland
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 608

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:31 AM

View Postradiman, on 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

There's an M2 version 2? Tour only?
It's called K version. A lot closer to the '16 M2 from what I've heard.
Callaway GBB Epic SubZero 9° MRC Diamana BF 60TX
TI Taylormade M1 T3 13.5° GD AD-DI 9X
PXG 0317 19° Accra FX300H X-Flex          
Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-Pw Oban CT-115 X-
Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw Forged 52°/56° DG Tour Issue S400; Vokey Low-Bounce K-Grind 60° DG Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade JD Spider

7

#8 Poser

Poser

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
  • Joined: 10/25/2011
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

I have the older m2 and bought the subzero and then sold the subzero.  The callaway gave me slightly faster ballspeed but, m2 spun less and total distance was better.  Also like the feel of the m2 over the Callaway and m2 is just a better driver for me.   I'm no where close to a taylormade fan but, that driver performs.

Edited by Poser, 19 June 2017 - 05:29 AM.


8

#9 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443386
  • Joined: 10/13/2016
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 19 June 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Postradiman, on 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

There's an M2 version 2? Tour only?
It's called K version. A lot closer to the '16 M2 from what I've heard.

How can you tell the difference?

9

#10 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 648

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

View Postlspky_muskie, on 19 June 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 19 June 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Postradiman, on 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

There's an M2 version 2? Tour only?
It's called K version. A lot closer to the '16 M2 from what I've heard.

How can you tell the difference?
by the serial # on the head


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 spartan6910

spartan6910

    Go Green, Go White!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294314
  • Joined: 01/29/2014
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

View Posttsecor, on 19 June 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

View Postlspky_muskie, on 19 June 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 19 June 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Postradiman, on 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

There's an M2 version 2? Tour only?
It's called K version. A lot closer to the '16 M2 from what I've heard.

How can you tell the difference?
by the serial # on the head

Can you elaborate? And what is meant by "closer to the '16 M2"? Closer in what regard?
TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54* 58*
YES! Tracy 2 - SS 3.0 Countercore
Vice Pro Neon (Soon to be taken over by the TaylorMade TP5)

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

11

#12 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

    Rebuilding

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
  • Location:Detroit City
GolfWRX Likes : 1363

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

I have the Epic SZ, and tried the standard '17 M2 against it, and it wasn't even close.  I was seeing 5 mph less ball speed, and hit it all over the place.  Sound and feel were both better with the SZ, IMO, too.  In a very limited sample, I saw much better results with the M1 440 v. the M2.  Still not as good as my SZ, but it wasn't a blowout.  Just my experience.
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Ping G30 14.5*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Low Tide Flow 34", Polished Abyss Finish, Salty Slim grip

12

#13 Golfingfanatic

Golfingfanatic

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208029
  • Joined: 10/21/2012
  • Location:Switzerland
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 608

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

View Postspartan6910, on 19 June 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

View Posttsecor, on 19 June 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

View Postlspky_muskie, on 19 June 2017 - 06:49 AM, said:

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 19 June 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

View Postradiman, on 18 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

There's an M2 version 2? Tour only?
It's called K version. A lot closer to the '16 M2 from what I've heard.

How can you tell the difference?
by the serial # on the head

Can you elaborate? And what is meant by "closer to the '16 M2"? Closer in what regard?
There is a K in the middle of the serial number. Closer to last years model in looks (17 M2 looks a lot bigger), sound and feel.
Callaway GBB Epic SubZero 9° MRC Diamana BF 60TX
TI Taylormade M1 T3 13.5° GD AD-DI 9X
PXG 0317 19° Accra FX300H X-Flex          
Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-Pw Oban CT-115 X-
Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw Forged 52°/56° DG Tour Issue S400; Vokey Low-Bounce K-Grind 60° DG Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade JD Spider

13

#14 tsecor

tsecor

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
  • Joined: 05/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 648

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

While the M2 is getting great reviews, there have been some complaints about look and sound....plus the integration of former Nike engineers has taken some time.....overall its supposed to be a great club but they are still tinkering with it post release

14

#15 granite45

granite45

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 385320
  • Joined: 07/11/2015
  • Location:New Hampshire
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Composites always have sounded weird or just plain ugly... remember the FT-5? It sounded like a 2X4 hitting a sheet of cheap plywood when struck well.

Titliest 915D2 9.5, Speeder 661 Evo
Titliest 915F 3W, Diamana Blue 70
Titliest 915H 3H, Diamana Blue HY 70
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW, Dynamic Gold S300
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*, DG Spinner
Titliest Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

15

#16 spartan6910

spartan6910

    Go Green, Go White!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294314
  • Joined: 01/29/2014
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostGolfingfanatic, on 19 June 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:


There is a K in the middle of the serial number. Closer to last years model in looks (17 M2 looks a lot bigger), sound and feel.

Got it. Thank you. I just won an M2 at an outing last week so I'll have to check. It's going to my dad, anyway, but just curious.
TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54* 58*
YES! Tracy 2 - SS 3.0 Countercore
Vice Pro Neon (Soon to be taken over by the TaylorMade TP5)

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

16

#17 bervin

bervin

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463524
  • Joined: 04/14/2017
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

View Postgranite45, on 19 June 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Composites always have sounded weird or just plain ugly... remember the FT-5? It sounded like a 2X4 hitting a sheet of cheap plywood when struck well.

Take it back! Nothing ugly about it lol.  The FT-5 was awesome, even though the FT-3 Tour was the real money.  Still have one I'll never be getting rid of.
TM '17 M1 460 - PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 tipped 1"
Callaway XR16 14* - GD Tour AD DI 8x
Ping Anser 20* 3H - Aldila NV 85x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21* Driving Iron - Aldila NV 85x
Cleveland CG1 Black Pearl (4-PW) - TT Black Gold S
Cleveland RTX 2.0 Tour Raw 54* - KBS Tour 120 S
Callaway MD PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0

17

#18 granite45

granite45

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 385320
  • Joined: 07/11/2015
  • Location:New Hampshire
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

View Postbervin, on 19 June 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

View Postgranite45, on 19 June 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Composites always have sounded weird or just plain ugly... remember the FT-5? It sounded like a 2X4 hitting a sheet of cheap plywood when struck well.

Take it back! Nothing ugly about it lol.  The FT-5 was awesome, even though the FT-3 Tour was the real money.  Still have one I'll never be getting rid of.

I played an FT-5 for quite awhile... sometimes it would even make my ears ring.
Titliest 915D2 9.5, Speeder 661 Evo
Titliest 915F 3W, Diamana Blue 70
Titliest 915H 3H, Diamana Blue HY 70
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW, Dynamic Gold S300
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*, DG Spinner
Titliest Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

18

#19 jcdiv

jcdiv

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274301
  • Joined: 09/03/2013
  • Location:Atlanta
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:jdenneniv
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

I haven't had the version 2 '17 M2 on the launch monitor, but it lost out to my '16 M2 on the course. I demoed both Epic models with different shafts and actually was getting 1-2mph worse ball speed and total distance numbers compared to my '16 M2. I did love the sound and feel of the Epic though - feels better than my M2 even with hot melt in it.
TM M2 9.5* Kuro Kage 70X 44.5"
TM Aeroburner "Yardbirds" 15* Rogue Black 70X  42.5"
Ping G Crossover 18* Ping Alta 70X
TM PSi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour X
Cleveland RTX 3 51, 55, 59* KBS Tour V Wedge S+
Edel Brick w/ sight dot 35"
Snell MTB

19

#20 Mathwiz

Mathwiz

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39114
  • Joined: 09/10/2007
  • Location:West Tennessee
  • Ebay ID:ut-mike
GolfWRX Likes : 279

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

'16 M2 is the bomb. If you don't like the sound, you have options and can still partake of the benefits of a heck of a driver head................with the shaft of your choice.

2016 Taylormade M2@10.5° Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo III Stiff
Callaway Big Bertha 3W
Adams a4OS 3 hybrid
Taylormade Speedblades 4 thru SW
Taylormade Tour Preferred 60°
Seemore FGP Giant

All subject to change in the blink of an eye (and I blink a lot)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 jbar411

jbar411

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278699
  • Joined: 10/02/2013
  • Location:Raleigh, NC
  • Handicap:+1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Checked Golf Galaxy and they had M2 drivers with k in the middle of serial number, think that the new version?

21

#22 moonshine

moonshine

    I'm finally a LTD believer

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Auburn, AL
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

Now it is not the best sounding club I admit, but my LS Tec had better numbers overall.  For my experience their was not adjustment made that could get the spin within 500 rpm of the Ping.  It was overall 4 yards longer and feel and sound that I preferred.  In the end, which has not come up here. the price paid for Ping won the contest for me.  I'm playing new black tie and 60 TX KK dual core.
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

22

#23 OakStrong

OakStrong

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373897
  • Joined: 04/30/2015
  • Location:Orlando, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

I've owned both m2's and hit the SZ extensively, but for the me f7+ performed better than all of them and it wasn't even close. I think we're brainwashed into thinking you have to get TM or Cally drivers if you want the best performance but that just isn't the case, there are other drivers that perform on the same level (f7, 900, 565, 917 etc) and I think anyone is doing themselves a disservice by not trying them all

23

#24 kejoal11

kejoal11

    IYAOYAS!!!!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21951
  • Joined: 11/18/2006
  • Location:Chula Vista, CA
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

View Postbervin, on 19 June 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

View Postgranite45, on 19 June 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Composites always have sounded weird or just plain ugly... remember the FT-5? It sounded like a 2X4 hitting a sheet of cheap plywood when struck well.

Take it back! Nothing ugly about it lol.  The FT-5 was awesome, even though the FT-3 Tour was the real money.  Still have one I'll never be getting rid of.

I agree on the FT-3. Best driver I ever had. Regret getting rid of it.
Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 Motore Speeder 6.2 TSX
Callaway Epic SZ 3+ Fairway wood Atmos Black TS 8 Tour Stiff
TM SLDR TP 2H Black Tie 95H X-stiff
Mizuno MP-25 Modus 130S
Mizuno S5 54, 50 Modus 125 wedge
Bettinardi QB #6 Super Stroke Slim 3.0 counter core
TP5X/Snell MTB
#insideTMAG 2013

24

#25 LoveSick666

LoveSick666

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99016
  • Joined: 11/22/2009
  • Location:Alameda, CA, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Most peoppe dont try it but the Mizuno JPX 900 beat everything for me. Epic SZ had maybe 1-2 mph more ball speed but didnt look as good or feel as good as the Mizuno. And Mizuno is way more accurate for me too


25

#26 Golf64

Golf64

    Go Habs Go!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:SW Ontario Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 2523

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

Fit with the right shaft/head combo, Ping G/400 are hard to beat?! ;)
Bag set-up currently under construction..............again.............help?!

26



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors