Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My Shank Swing - DTL video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dent

Dent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59064
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hi all. Would love some help with my swing. I'm currently fighting the shanks and doing anything in my power here to not shank the ball.

Besides that I have some major consistency issues and hit a super high Ball with no distance. I have noticed a few things so far that I've attempted to fix after this video.

1) My shoulders and hips are pointed way right on my alignment - I've gotta figure this one out first.

2) On practice swings (and I've always noticed this) my swing path comes way inside on the follow through, I can actually see the club going completely left. How do I prevent that? I find it usually happens when my hips aren't turning

3) I've tried to get more upright and balanced on my feet, I notice on the downswing and contact I'm leaning on my toes quite a bit and sometimes even falling over. I started doing a quick pre-shot routine where I line up with my feet, then I extend the club straight out from my sternum with my arms fully extended and then laid the club behind the ball to hit. I notice my shoulders feel way more hunched but it actually feels like I set up much more comfortably.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

https://youtu.be/Z9AMDTSZv5A

Edited by Dent, 16 June 2017 - 02:55 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Chris_P

Chris_P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459532
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Looks like your back hip is blocking your right arm from coming through and forcing your hands/club up and out away from you causing the inside face/hosel to strike the ball. Try striking the ball using a shoulder only swing then work your hips back into the sequence; you want your shoulders to kick in after your front hip turn but faster so they can clear your back hip. It looks to me like you took your driver swing and applied it to your irons- I just had this same problem!. Good luck!

Edited by Chris_P, 16 June 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#3 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321019
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

Very nice swing. Early extension is the killer here. It comes from the huge amount of lordosis or s-curve in your lower spine at setup. You don't want your butt sticking out, you want the pelvis tucked underneath so that it will work back in the downswing. The opposite is happening right now..Your butt sticks out at setup and then wants to goat hump in the downswing. Give the setup change some time it will feel really awkward and you may hit it badly at first, but once your body adjusts, you will never shank again. From a down the line, get the arm pits, knee caps and balls of the feet all lined up at setup.

#4 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 695

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Agree on nice swing. Slow things down and give your self time to focus on dropping in the slot/come from the inside. This also gives your hips time to clear better.
Taylormade SLDR S 10°- S300
Adams Super LS 14° - S300
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 120
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper 120
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper 120
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

#5 Dent

Dent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59064
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Guys really appreciate the input. These are all super insightful suggestions. I agree the posture is something I need to work on. I just got a lesson about my balance on my feet during my swing and the weight shift (which I have none of from back to front)

What's a good general rule for correct spine tilt, and knee bend in the swing? Sometimes I feel I'm too upright, too bent over... and I can't seem to balance during my swing. Weight shift gears towards my toes on the downswing and completely changes my spine angle and impact position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors