Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 2 votes

Wish my wife would play...


133 replies to this topic

#121 Joe V.

Joe V.

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447490
  • Joined: 11/27/2016
  • Location:SE Pennsylvania
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Well, my wife is back to playing about two years now after a long hiatus. We played yesterday with our two sons before they returned to college for the year, and it was one of the most enjoyable rounds of the year.

She shot a personal best ever 87.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#122 jewofgolf

jewofgolf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20264
  • Joined: 10/05/2006
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Ebay ID:tourgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 675

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 01 September 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postgolfer07840, on 01 September 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postchippa13, on 16 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

My wife plays and now that her new job is M-F it is fantastic. More often than not she is checking the weather and asking, "where are we playing Saturday?". It also helps that we actually enjoy spending time together. I never understand couples that don't who stay together.

"It's Cheaper to keep her" -- or so I've been told.

Thankfully I'm one of the few who enjoys having her around. Our first date was supposed to be golf. But since I really stunk, and it was windy, like 25 MPH late October winds, we decided against it. Turns out, at the time, her parents were members of Pinehurst. She grew up with it.

I did have to give it up for nearly 10 years when we had our 3 daughters. She was home with them during the week and then worked weekends while I had the girls. But once they got older, I started to play more regularly in 2010. Now that 2 are in college, she comes with me a lot. She doesn't play anymore due to a bad elbow and ankle, and since she grew up with really old equipment, she'd have to relearn how to do things. She says she's content sitting in the cart and watching me get annoyed :)

Fine by me, I get to play pretty much when I want.

In white collar segment, many women are making more then men these days.  Also in certain circles its becoming a topic of discussion, even concern.  :beach:

It's cheaper to keep her might apply in most cases, and especially short term. If anyone cares to know, my wife filed for divorce again. And I think the main contributor is my being unwilling to spend lavishly the way she wants me to (single income family). In my case, it's cheaper to divorce in the long run. We are still in debt and she wants to just spend spend spend. Has unreasonable expectations based on where we are financially.

Anyway, sometimes people won't budge on certain things (my golf and normal adult budgeting in order to meet long term goals) and it has to end.

2

#123 PGAHopeful26

PGAHopeful26

    Somewhere Between the Tee and Green

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45243
  • Joined: 01/07/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

An older couple came through today and the husband said to me (under his breath)... "I wish to God I had never taught her the game". Why, you might wonder? Apparently she played with him and his buddy in a money game the week prior. She managed to press at the right time and win some money. According to him, it created a monster because she hasn't stopped ragging his a** since.  

View Postjewofgolf, on 02 September 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostPepperturbo, on 01 September 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postgolfer07840, on 01 September 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postchippa13, on 16 June 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

My wife plays and now that her new job is M-F it is fantastic. More often than not she is checking the weather and asking, "where are we playing Saturday?". It also helps that we actually enjoy spending time together. I never understand couples that don't who stay together.

"It's Cheaper to keep her" -- or so I've been told.

Thankfully I'm one of the few who enjoys having her around. Our first date was supposed to be golf. But since I really stunk, and it was windy, like 25 MPH late October winds, we decided against it. Turns out, at the time, her parents were members of Pinehurst. She grew up with it.

I did have to give it up for nearly 10 years when we had our 3 daughters. She was home with them during the week and then worked weekends while I had the girls. But once they got older, I started to play more regularly in 2010. Now that 2 are in college, she comes with me a lot. She doesn't play anymore due to a bad elbow and ankle, and since she grew up with really old equipment, she'd have to relearn how to do things. She says she's content sitting in the cart and watching me get annoyed :)

Fine by me, I get to play pretty much when I want.

In white collar segment, many women are making more then men these days.  Also in certain circles its becoming a topic of discussion, even concern.  :beach:

It's cheaper to keep her might apply in most cases, and especially short term. If anyone cares to know, my wife filed for divorce again. And I think the main contributor is my being unwilling to spend lavishly the way she wants me to (single income family). In my case, it's cheaper to divorce in the long run. We are still in debt and she wants to just spend spend spend. Has unreasonable expectations based on where we are financially.

Anyway, sometimes people won't budge on certain things (my golf and normal adult budgeting in order to meet long term goals) and it has to end.

Yet another story in a line of them that scares me single. Sorry to hear it, hope the proceedings treat you fairly.
Taylormade M1 460 9.5* HZRDUS Black 65g 6.5
Taylormade M1 Fairway 15* Kuro Kage Silver TiNi X-Stiff
Taylormade M1 21* Kuro Kage Silver TiNi X-Stiff
Taylormade MB TP "Smoke" 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 58* M-Grind
Taylormade Imola w/Tour SNSR

3

#124 Mignuz

Mignuz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388398
  • Joined: 07/28/2015
  • Location:italy
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

So this is my story.
Started golfing in 2004 and my (now) wife didn't want to hear about that.
But I insisted a little bit and in 2006 I took her in a small driving range/pitch and put near our or house...She didn't know but she already was a member (there was this offer: bring a newbie and your membership is free...so I simply paid mine).
So she started parcticing and even if at first she didn't seem to enjoy that much, golf slowly grew on her...and she became addicted!
We traveled a lot for golfing and it was amazing.
She quit 4 years ago because we were expecting a baby, but this year (he's almost 3) she started playing again.
We take a cart and normally play 9 holes with our son.
He grew up in a golf course and he's already swinging...but he wants to swing our clubs!
Yesterday he holed a drive(!) from 20 yards. :)

4

#125 Yuck

Yuck

    Fore!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
  • Joined: 03/10/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 369

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

My wife did not golf when we met.  I did not push her into golf.  On day she came just came home with a brand new set of "Judy Rankin" clubs, driver through putter, that she picked up for about $80..  I gave her basic instruction and watched as she went from shooting 120 to shooting in the 90's to breaking 80 in tournaments and winning several club championships over the years at different clubs.  Now the kids are grown and launched, I am retired and I am glad she plays.  She has other interests, so we are not together 24/7, but golf with her is fun.  She has beaten me straight up many times.  She is about an 11 capper these days but can still get hot now and then.

Edited by Yuck, 04 September 2017 - 06:45 AM.


5

#126 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 22859

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

My FiancÚ Plays, we used to Play together when I was in the game and we have a blast together. She Played in the Swats with me and the guys and they enjoy her and she has fun or she wouldn't Play.

Like most things in life, it's an individual thing and depends on the guy, the Lady and their relationship-

If all three aren't on the same page, it ain't gonna work and I definitely  wouldn't force it or try to make something out of nothing, because you might want it or possibly your wife might want it while you don't or at least she doesn't Play with you and that is fine and can be a good thing, good for the relationship, good for both individuals and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

All three pieces of the puzzle gotta fit.....

Fairways & Greens My Friends⛳️
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 04 September 2017 - 08:36 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

6

#127 Clambake

Clambake

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94215
  • Joined: 09/11/2009
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

Count me in the camp that is glad my wife doesn't play. After retiring early a few years ago, we were both of the belief we each need some space and our own passions. We've both seen marriages stressed in retirement by couples with too much togetherness - after decades of being apart most of the day due to careers, it can be difficult to suddenly be around each other 24/7. I have my golf and photography, she has her music. It makes a nice balance.

7

#128 Ferguson

Ferguson

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Joined: 04/16/2015
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1680

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

In my late 20's, I was dating a smart and attractive woman - she wasn't a golfer, but her dad played.  We had been going out for almost 2 years and were ready to tie the knot and then out of nowhere I met someone else.  I met this other girl through a mutual friend.   She asked me lunch and we had a great time.  I didn't tell her I was with someone else.  I was blown away when she told me she played golf, and that she was good.   We then met out a few more times.  I had the uncomfortable  dual relationship thing going for a little while,and I couldn't take it any longer, so I had to make a choice.   I dumped the girl I had been with for two years.   It was hard but I knew for certain I had met my future wife.   20 years later - here we are, two kids and a great life.  
Golf isn't just something we do - it is fundamental to our lives.

Edited by Ferguson, 05 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.


8

#129 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

    Mikey

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239415
  • Joined: 03/19/2013
  • Location:NEPA
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostFerguson, on 05 September 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

In my late 20's, I was dating a smart and attractive woman - she wasn't a golfer, but her dad played.  We had been going out for almost 2 years and were ready to tie the knot and then out of nowhere I met someone else.  I met this other girl through a mutual friend.   She asked me lunch and we had a great time.  I didn't tell her I was with someone else.  I was blown away when she told me she played golf, and that she was good.   We then met out a few more times.  I had the uncomfortable  dual relationship thing going for a little while,and I couldn't take it any longer, so I had to make a choice.   I dumped the girl I had been with for two years.   It was hard but I knew for certain I had met my future wife.   20 years later - here we are, two kids and a great life.  
Golf isn't just something we do - it is fundamental to our lives.

Congrats.  Does your wife know the whole story?
Driver - Cobra King F7 w Diamond tour tipped S/X shaft
Mini-Driver - Taylor Made SLDR Mini 16* w Fujikura Speeder 57
Fairway wood - Adams Speed Fast 12 19* w Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue R shaft
Hybrid - Adams Super XTD 22* hybrid w White Matrix Ozik Program S shaft
Irons - Cobra Amp Cell Silver 5 - SW w FST 120 custom fit shafts
L Wedge - Cobra Amp Cell L wedge w Multi material Graphite tipped shaft
Putter - Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 5 of 5 w UST FF shaft
Ball - Srixon AD333 / Wilson 50 Elite Golf Ball
Grips - Karma Velvet Midsize / Putter Grip: Super Stroke 3.0 USA Ryder Cup

9

#130 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
  • Joined: 05/13/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

Just started living with my girlfriend this past spring because I told her golf was a big part of my life and I use to play 5-6 days a week.  She said thats fine because I'd be coming home to her.  Needless to say I do not play 5-6 days a week anymore lol but I do enjoy my time with her at home and when I want to play early on weekends she doesn't really say much about it.  

I do ask her to come along in the evens and ride around and she hits a few drives and putts.  She enjoys hitting tee balls but other than that the game isn't for her right now but thats ok as long as I get to play sometimes and she rides along occasionally
.

KG

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#131 Ferguson

Ferguson

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Joined: 04/16/2015
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1680

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostFerguson, on 05 September 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

In my late 20's, I was dating a smart and attractive woman - she wasn't a golfer, but her dad played.  We had been going out for almost 2 years and were ready to tie the knot and then out of nowhere I met someone else.  I met this other girl through a mutual friend.   She asked me lunch and we had a great time.  I didn't tell her I was with someone else.  I was blown away when she told me she played golf, and that she was good.   We then met out a few more times.  I had the uncomfortable  dual relationship thing going for a little while,and I couldn't take it any longer, so I had to make a choice.   I dumped the girl I had been with for two years.   It was hard but I knew for certain I had met my future wife.   20 years later - here we are, two kids and a great life.  
Golf isn't just something we do - it is fundamental to our lives.

Re: Congrats.  Does your wife know the whole story?


Yes, she knows.   Whenever people ask how we met, I brag and say she asked me out first.  I remember the very moment I met her.  It was like being punched in the face.  She has a good sense of humor.

Edited by Ferguson, 05 September 2017 - 01:16 PM.


11

#132 chippa13

chippa13

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
  • Joined: 09/04/2015
  • Location:NH
GolfWRX Likes : 975

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

So a guy in a relationship accepts a date from someone else and yet constantly calls a certain professional golfer's character into question. Interesting.

12

#133 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
  • Joined: 11/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

View Postchippa13, on 05 September 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

So a guy in a relationship accepts a date from someone else and yet constantly calls a certain professional golfer's character into question. Interesting.
Not just "in a relationship". Had been with her for 2 years and was ready to get married.

13

#134 atteberry23

atteberry23

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474820
  • Joined: 07/12/2017
  • Location:Bradford PA
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:attebeerry
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

If I had a wife that could play, that would be great.  If I had a wife that gets mad that I play, that's a problem.  Now I have an ex-wife!

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors