Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

In search/Driver shaft 70 gram range, what am I forgetting

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40915
  • Ebay ID:none
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

Could you some suggestions on driver shafts in the 70 gram range that I either forgot about or maybe just missed.  Im going back to heavier through the whole bag as the light weight stuff is just not for me.  Currently play a Ping G LS in a 10.5 with the ping tour 65 shaft.  Now it feels good, plays at 44.5" but is just to light overall weight (swing weight is about D4).

Im looking for a Driver shaft in the 70-75 gram range, will also play at 44.5 - 44.25".  But, im looking for a certain bend profile, and something less than 100, which is making it difficult.  I have been looking at older models as well, I dont need something latest and greatest.  Bend profile I like is soft handle, stiff mid section, and a softer tip section.  Shafts Im looking at are:

Fubuki Tour 73 stiff
Matrix White Tie 7x3 Stiff
Saga 70 (if i can find one)
NVS 75
UST Elements Fire

SHafts Ive played and dont like:
Blueboard (I know, flame away!)
AD DI
Fubuki Aplha

What shafts of the last few years am I missing?  I look at some of the UST and Accra (would love some direction on the older models) and get confused.  Looking for a smooth swinging 70's gram driver shaft with some pop in the tip section (could use a little more height and spin) as I only swing in the low 100's.  I even dont mind playing a regular if it gets me the weight, and bend profile Im looking for.  Problem with heavier shafts sometimes is the torque can get very low, like shafts that have some feel to them as I have a medium and smooth transition.

Would love to hear opinions and suggestions!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 taylormade4life

taylormade4life

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14766
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

I would try for an NV 75 stiff. Can be had for $50 or less new and is a nice smooth mid. I also liked the vs proto 70 stiff but it is much firmer feel than the Nv.

#3 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

NV has a stiff tip section and is rather low launching.  great shaft for the money, but want a little more active tip section, reason I was looking at the NVS, NV feel with active tip section.  VS proto might be an option, havent hit it in a long time.  I remeber it feeling rather stout, much stiffer in the handle compared to the NV.  Problem is the stiff 70 gram has a very low torque, maybe a regular flex might be an option.

#4 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Come on Stuart, I see you lurking.  Was hoping you would give some insight, always like to hear your opinion.

Also, anybody have the Wishon software that can make some comparisons?

#5 dbleag

dbleag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11778
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

Aldila Rogue Silver 70

#6 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

dbleag, on 16 June 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Aldila Rogue Silver 70

Isnt the Rogue Silver rather stiff and low launching?  Never hit it

#7 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 4303

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

smoothie4896, on 16 June 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Come on Stuart, I see you lurking.  Was hoping you would give some insight, always like to hear your opinion.

NVS is actually a softer feel than the NV and not just the Tip.    The DVS would be more like the NV in mid/butt but with a more active tip.

VS-proto might qualify - as might the Tour Blue or Rogue Black - but those could all also be considered similar to the blueboard.   So it's not really clear what might fit you just based on your description.    Mid and butt feel usually blend together (not many can really tell the difference between the two) so your comments on soft butt and firm mid section are actually a little conflicting (as well as the fact that you don't like the blueboard or AD-DI - both of which does match your description of what you think you want.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you didn't like about the blueboard - and which specific version you actually tried - there are quite a few different variations.  e.g. Kai'li is very different from the original and even the newer S+'s.    Actually more info about why specifically you didn't like any of those you listed could be helpful.   Also any info on any shafts you tried that you have liked would also help.

#8 taylormade4life

taylormade4life

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

smoothie4896, on 16 June 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

NV has a stiff tip section and is rather low launching.  great shaft for the money, but want a little more active tip section, reason I was looking at the NVS, NV feel with active tip section.  VS proto might be an option, havent hit it in a long time.  I remeber it feeling rather stout, much stiffer in the handle compared to the NV.  Problem is the stiff 70 gram has a very low torque, maybe a regular flex might be an option.

Always found the Nv to be much more mid than low. The Vs played low for me. Maybe the rogue black in a 70? That to me was between the NvS and nv. The silver 70 rogue was lower than the nv for me.

Guess that's why they say try before you buy.

#9 taylormade4life

taylormade4life

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

I know it is out of your price range but I recently went from the DI to the TP after trying the Gp, TP and Mt. The GP was very boardy and low and the TP was perfect. Feel of the DI but much more mid with a relatively active but stable tip. I would tend to hook the DI but now I'm straight to a slight fade which I love.

#10 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

Stuart G., on 16 June 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

smoothie4896, on 16 June 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

NVS is actually a softer feel than the NV and not just the Tip. The DVS would be more like the NV in mid/butt but with a more active tip.

VS-proto might qualify - as might the Tour Blue or Rogue Black - but those could all also be considered similar to the blueboard.   So it's not really clear what might fit you just based on your description. Mid and butt feel usually blend together (not many can really tell the difference between the two) so your comments on soft butt and firm mid section are actually a little conflicting (as well as the fact that you don't like the blueboard or AD-DI - both of which does match your description of what you think you want.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you didn't like about the blueboard - and which specific version you actually tried - there are quite a few different variations.  e.g. Kai'li is very different from the original and even the newer S+'s. Actually more info about why specifically you didn't like any of those you listed could be helpful.   Also any info on any shafts you tried that you have liked would also help.

Stuart, thanks for responding.

AD DI - Didnt like how it flexed in the mid section, same as the Alpha.  Didnt feel overly stiff, but didnt like the kick and the softer mid section.

OG Blueboard 63 g4t, played it for two seasons in a FT5.  Felt very boardy.  Straight as an arrow and good low/mid flight, but felt like I had to kill it each time.

Diamana S+ 62 - played it in a XR and D2.  Felt pretty good but flight would start out low and rise, to much spin.  Would just balloon a little on me all the time.  Just a weird flight.

Fubuki Tour 63 .350 tip (out of an old imix)  Played it in an R11.  Loved it, hit absolute bombs with it.  Great flight, good spin.  If I got one again, I would look for a .335 just to get a little more action in the tip section, heard the .350 can be a little stiffer.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Awainer1

Awainer1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379692
  • Ebay ID:Awainer1
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

Tensei pro blue

#12 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

taylormade4life, on 16 June 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

I know it is out of your price range but I recently went from the DI to the TP after trying the Gp, TP and Mt. The GP was very boardy and low and the TP was perfect. Feel of the DI but much more mid with a relatively active but stable tip. I would tend to hook the DI but now I'm straight to a slight fade which I love.

Same with me, couldnt get the DI to work for me, left, right, left, left.  I never have got along with shafts that have that soft mid section.  If I could describe what Im looking for, it would be a 73 stiff Whiteboard with a softer tip section.  When I have hit shafts that fall in the international flex code, numbers that I like and look for are in the 4563 range.  Unfortunately not many shafts have been coded and not many shafts fit that profile.

#13 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 16,897 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

smoothie4896, on 16 June 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

OG Blueboard 63 g4t, played it for two seasons in a FT5.  Felt very boardy.  Straight as an arrow and good low/mid flight, but felt like I had to kill it each time.

That's a bore through version of the shaft in a std bore head - do you know how it was tipped?

Diamana S+ 62 - played it in a XR and D2.  Felt pretty good but flight would start out low and rise, to much spin.  Would just balloon a little on me all the time.  Just a weird flight.

Sounds more like a face impact problem - which is typically more a problem with length or weight or swing weight then the bend profile.

Might try the Phenom 70.  That's the closest Aldila shaft I can think of.   Just don't know if the tip will be active enough for you.  It's on the low side of a mid-launch shaft.   The Tour Red might be the next higher launching shaft but you don't see much about it so not a lot of reviews and probably doesn't qualify for the low cost aspect since there are few and far between.

#14 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Stuart G., on 16 June 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

That's a bore through version of the shaft in a std bore head - do you know how it was tipped?

Sounds more like a face impact problem - which is typically more a problem with length or weight or swing weight then the bend profile.

Might try the Phenom 70.  That's the closest Aldila shaft I can think of.   Just don't know if the tip will be active enough for you.  It's on the low side of a mid-launch shaft.   The Tour Red might be the next higher launching shaft but you don't see much about it so not a lot of reviews and probably doesn't qualify for the low cost aspect since there are few and far between.

Dont know tipping, out of imix so maybe 1/2".  The S+ wasnt a impact problem.  I was a scratch then and now far off now.  The flight and spin actually got worse the better I hit it.  I thought it might be that, tried teeing lower/higher still didnt work.

#15 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Does anyone have experience with any of the older Accra's?  Or some of the UST's in the last few years?  Both company's I just never got around to hitting (besides the old V2)

#16 ode1

ode1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 337

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

If you can find a V2 75 HL ... That shaft was fantastic IMO....I'm sure ust has a direct replacement to it in one of the axivcore line that would be easier to find....the DVS is quite smooth but stable....the Radix 7 is also worth a look....and for more obscure a Sk fibre tour Trac 80 if you can find  one.

#17 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

ode1, on 16 June 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

If you can find a V2 75 HL ... That shaft was fantastic IMO....I'm sure ust has a direct replacement to it in one of the axivcore line that would be easier to find....the DVS is quite smooth but stable....the Radix 7 is also worth a look....and for more obscure a Sk fibre tour Trac 80 if you can find  one.

AHHHH, nice suggestion.  I heard years ago about that HL version.  WIll also check out the Radix 7.

#18 geochitown

geochitown

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62355
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

golfshaftreviews is a pretty good resource as well
TEE XCG7 Beta 10.5*, set at 11.5* - Matrix F7M2 S - tipped 3/4"
(to be tested: D+70 S, Rogue Silver 60 S, 7M3 S, all tipped 1/2")
TEE XCG7 Beta 18* - Diamana D+80 Ltd S - tipped 1"
TEE XCG7 Beta hybrid 22* - Diamana Thump Stiff
TEE XCG7 Beta hybrid 25* - Fujikura FitonM Red stiff
Maxfli Revolution 4-PW (24*-48*) - DGS300 - shortened 1/2"
Titleist SM4 - 52* - 8* bounce (F grind)
Cleveland TA588 57* - 10* bounce (F typed grind)
Titleist SM5 - 60* - 7* bounce - S grind
Coutour Dornoch - 33"

#19 trying2scratch

trying2scratch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203751
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

I love the vs proto but it might be too low launch for you.

Couple others that might be worth a look on the cheap.  Fuji Motore F3. You may want to go stiff as it plays pretty smooth nothing like the f1.

Also the UST VTS red could be exactly what your after and could work nicely. Higher torque so a stiff 7 should play not too boardy. Definitely has a nice bit of pop at the bottom.  Some people say the red feels loose but if you want a bit more torque it might be perfect.  You "could" also try a reg in the silver version but has less torque so u may think it has less pop. They are prob the best value on the market. And worth a shot even if you put it in a fairway if the driver doesn't work out.  

Edited by trying2scratch, 16 June 2017 - 08:47 PM.

#20 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 16,897 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:55 AM

smoothie4896, on 16 June 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Dont know tipping, out of imix so maybe 1/2".  The S+ wasnt a impact problem.  I was a scratch then and now far off now.  The flight and spin actually got worse the better I hit it.  I thought it might be that, tried teeing lower/higher still didnt work.

Shafts increase launch and spin by adding dynamic loft at impact.  Added dynamic loft would mean higher launch along with that higher spin, not starting low with high spin.   Only possible ways you can get the flight you described would be impact low on the face or if you were delofting the club at impact somewhat with a steeper attack.   And unless you actually checked with impact tape or foot powder spray, or similar, you can't rule out the first.

Back to the shaft ideas.  The more I read the more I think the DVS might be a better choice than the NVS from the classic choices at least.

Be a bit careful of UST shafts - they are great but they generally will get more tip stiff as the weight increases.   Those that have a nice mid launch profile at the 60 gm range (like the reg PF v2 and  VTS), get a bit lower launching when you jump to the 70 gm range.  The v2 HL might be an option (I'm not really all that familiar with it) but also might consider the PF AxivCore Black if you can find one.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 avguy

avguy

Replacement Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106241
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:40 AM

geochitown, on 16 June 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

golfshaftreviews is a pretty good resource as well

It used to be......now is a charge $ site.  Nothing wrong with that, just sayin',,,,,,,

Gotta be totally into clubbuilding and the like, as many WRXers are!
Bag One
D:Callaway RF(Matrix X-Con 6)   

3W:TM RBZ Tour Spoon
H: 17 Titleist 915, 21 Ping G10, 25 Hireko XF
5-PW:Honma TW 727 M(Nippon Modus 125)
W:Mizuno 52/58
P:Bellum Winmore Midi 787

Bag Two
D:Callaway BBA 815(Matrix Ozik Code 6.1)
3W:TM R11ti
H: 18 TM 2.0 SF, 21 TM 2.0 SF, 25 Cobra ACP
5-PW:Callaway Razr MB(PX 5.0F)
W:Mizuno 53/Cally 58
P:Guerin TS Black 370

#22 Glaze22

Glaze22

FORE!!!!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365689
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

Aldila RIP, great great shaft. I play the 70grm shaft in my 3 and 5 woods.

Look at the ACCRA FX 200 series of shafts, you can find them for less than $100 if you take the time a look, and they are GREAT. I play a FX 360 M4 in my G30!!!

Edited by Glaze22, 17 June 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#23 McGolf

McGolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123168
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

UST VTS 7 (whatever flex) RED for the smoother swinger.
The elements chrome is good and a bit more stable.
The Iseries from ACCRA will do the job well.
Graphalloy (SP) blue HL

#24 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 2372

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

smoothie4896, on 16 June 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Could you some suggestions on driver shafts in the 70 gram range that I either forgot about or maybe just missed.  Im going back to heavier through the whole bag as the light weight stuff is just not for me.  Currently play a Ping G LS in a 10.5 with the ping tour 65 shaft.  Now it feels good, plays at 44.5" but is just to light overall weight (swing weight is about D4).

Im looking for a Driver shaft in the 70-75 gram range, will also play at 44.5 - 44.25".  But, im looking for a certain bend profile, and something less than 100, which is making it difficult.  I have been looking at older models as well, I dont need something latest and greatest.  Bend profile I like is soft handle, stiff mid section, and a softer tip section.  Shafts Im looking at are:

Fubuki Tour 73 stiff
Matrix White Tie 7x3 Stiff
Saga 70 (if i can find one)
NVS 75
UST Elements Fire

SHafts Ive played and dont like:
Blueboard (I know, flame away!)
AD DI
Fubuki Aplha

What shafts of the last few years am I missing?  I look at some of the UST and Accra (would love some direction on the older models) and get confused.  Looking for a smooth swinging 70's gram driver shaft with some pop in the tip section (could use a little more height and spin) as I only swing in the low 100's.  I even dont mind playing a regular if it gets me the weight, and bend profile Im looking for.  Problem with heavier shafts sometimes is the torque can get very low, like shafts that have some feel to them as I have a medium and smooth transition.

Would love to hear opinions and suggestions!

ProLaunch Blue 75

#25 top.h

top.h

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254282
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Glaze22, on 17 June 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Aldila RIP, great great shaft. I play the 70grm shaft in my 3 and 5 woods.

Look at the ACCRA FX 200 series of shafts, you can find them for less than $100 if you take the time a look, and they are GREAT. I play a FX 360 M4 in my G30!!!

seconding the aldila rip for your profile!

#26 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 16,897 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:37 AM

Rip beta maybe but even despite the softer tip, it still has a very firm butt and mid section.  But the Rip alpha and gamma were both very tip stiff and low launching shafts - which is not what the OP was asking for.

#27 phase3golf

phase3golf

ACGolfwrx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153701
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

I second the Axiv Black and also the PL Blue....
good luck
Titleist 910 D3 - Miyazaki Kosuma Black 7X
Titleist 910 F-D - PX 8A4
Titleist 910 F - PX 8A4
Cleveland CG1 Tours 3-PW KBS C-Taper 130X
Cleveland 588 50-54-58
Cleveland HBC 3 Putter

#28 Fubuman

Fubuman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396626
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:41 AM

Pity about the $100 cap, because the Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75x is the best I've played in that "softer" tip category, this shaft in my XR16-Pro is the longest I've been in a long time.  
This combo just hits high baby draw bombs & it's also the most accurate driver since my FTiz tour / Fubuki tour 63x, I've seen a few for around the $150 mark, if the budget could stretch, I wouldn't look elsewhere.
Good luck with your search!!
XR16-Pro 9+1 Oban Kiyoshi Gold75x
816 3w / Fujikura Pro 73x or RFX 15 / Fubuki A 70x
Diablo Edge Tour 18 / Pro Force V2 your hyb 90x
XR-Pro 4-AW / C-Taper lite x
MD2 TG 54 bent 55
MD2 TG 58 bent 60
Odyssey Pro Type Black no.2
Callaway Hex Control ball.

#29 smoothie4896

smoothie4896

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Thanks all for the really good suggestions.  Have friends that both have the Axivcore Black and Kiyoshi Gold, will need to take a swing and see how they feel.  Ive hit PL Blue's before and the flight is great, but they just feel horrible.  Hard to explain but they just dont feel right.

#30 Fubuman

Fubuman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396626
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Go hit that Gold!!!

XR16-Pro 9+1 Oban Kiyoshi Gold75x
816 3w / Fujikura Pro 73x or RFX 15 / Fubuki A 70x
Diablo Edge Tour 18 / Pro Force V2 your hyb 90x
XR-Pro 4-AW / C-Taper lite x
MD2 TG 54 bent 55
MD2 TG 58 bent 60
Odyssey Pro Type Black no.2
Callaway Hex Control ball.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors