Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

When To Start Lessons? (Kids)

37 replies to this topic

#31 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Why Me Lord?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7033

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

View Postbluedot, on 18 June 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

To the OP:

This comes to you from a retired teacher and coach, whose career spanned 39 years, and every grade K thru 12.  I was mostly a HS basketball coach, but I also coached golf for awhile.  I'm the father of a truly superior athlete (boy) who is now 26 and still plays golf, softball, basketball, and fishes like a crazy man; he was on the golf course with me from the time he was 5, and we still play every chance we get, which isn't nearly often enough.  But I'm also the father of a daughter that died of cancer at age 24, and I would happily give up my remaining days to get to spend one more day with her; when she went to the golf course with me, she sat in the cart and read, no matter how much I tried to get her to play.  And that was ok, too; I loved being with her, and miss her more than I can possibly express.  I will promise you that these days with your kids are SO fleeting that you need to treasure them for what they are; the golf piece will take care of itself.

Have fun with your kids, ok?  When the time is right for lessons, your kid will tell you; you won't have to ask anybody online.  It won't be at age 3 or 5 or 7, though; maybe by 9 or 10.  Maybe later than that, and maybe not ever, and that won't matter a bit if you raise a good kid.

If you want him to love golf, just let him do what he REALLY wants to do right now, which is to be with his dad; he likes golf because he loves you!  Let him throw rocks in the pond, or catch bugs, or run and race the golf cart, or whatever else.  Take some old balls, and let him hit them in the water; he'll like that at least as much as hitting them over the water.  Show him that YOU love the game, and that you love being with him, and he'll come to love the game even more.  Take snacks, and give him a Skittle or two when he wants 'em; spoil him a little.  Laugh and have fun with him; when he's ready to go home, go home, even if you want to play more.  When he wants to play more, play more, even if you're ready to go home.  Be late to dinner; it'll be ok, and your wife will love you more for spending time with your boy and making him happy.

Please don't look around for golf lessons for a 3 or 4 yr old.  There isn't nearly enough time for your kid to be a kid, and plenty of time for golf lessons.

And happy Father's Day, by the way.  Enjoy it.

Awesome and a happy Father's Day to you sir!

Hope OP reads your post.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Sponsors
  • 16,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 8908

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

+1

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#33 TB07

TB07

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223873
GolfWRX Likes : 1300

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

IMO, lessons that young would be a waste. They need very simple instructions from hopefully a father or someone close. Let not only thier body develop but their mind. I have a 7,4, and 2 month old. All of them get one word simple stuff at most.

#34 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Sponsors
  • 16,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 8908

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostTB07, on 18 June 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Let not only thier body develop but their mind.

Every parent needs to understand this and only a very small percentage do.

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#35 ricklinens

ricklinens

Advanced

• 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464152
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

View Postbluedot, on 18 June 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

When the time is right for lessons, your kid will tell you; you won't have to ask anybody online.  It won't be at age 3 or 5 or 7, though; maybe by 9 or 10.  Maybe later than that, and maybe not ever, and that won't matter a bit if you raise a good kid.

They will let you know one way or another.  HFD!
4c3d3f295e132de51a8ec3e6904d5869.jpg

The less you put in, the more you take out.

#36 xkilgorextroutx

xkilgorextroutx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466834
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

My 12 yr old started lessons at 10, because he said he wanted to take part in the town's summer golf program. He had always come to the range with me and just hit balls to have fun, and rode in the cart with me a few times. We also let him "caddy" for us on a few 9 hole rounds, which was mostly him looking for balls while we played and let him putt a bit if we didn't have anyone behind us. I've never pushed any of my kids into anything, we've always let them just have fun and then come to us when they were ready for lessons, be it piano, guitar, or golf.

#37 swoosh21

swoosh21

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368593
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

Great feedback guys.  I'll just keep taking him to Top Golf with me to go play.  Maybe get some Putt Putt action.
TM M2 10.5 Driver 2017
TM M2 Tour 3w
TM M2 Hybrid
TM 770 4-PW
Nike 52DS, 56TS, 60TS
Nike Method Origin Rory Limited Edition

#38 Redbear90

Redbear90

Rookie

• 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388626
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

I am currently working as an assistant golf professional at a country club. A lot of my lessons are with junior golfers at the club varying in age from 5/6/7 up to high schoolers. In all honesty it can get pretty frustrating when a parent who has a 6 year old wants lessons for their child and expects great things by getting lessons at that age. Kids at that age, at least in my experience, do not have the attention span for private lessons. I feel like a majority of the time I am pulling teeth to get them to focus to learn the basics. It is in no way the child's fault, I just think that private lessons should wait until they are close to 10 or they show that they want to get better at golf.

I am very close to a scratch golfer as far as handicap goes and I have never had a formal lesson, yet I have always gotten some kind of compliment on my swing and how well I play. Obviously working the industry does help, but I have played golf for 20+ years without lessons, and through self teaching and practice I have gotten better. Lessons are great don't get me wrong, but unless you are trying to fix something major or unhappy in general about your game, trying to make it on tour, or you want a fighting chance at winning your club championship, they aren't absolutely necessary.

Learn your game, and play your game.

Edited by Redbear90, 19 June 2017 - 09:57 AM.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade M1 440-Project X Hazrdous Red 6.5
3-Wood: Taylormade M2 Tour-Rogue Black Stiff
3-Iron: Callaway Apex UT
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-9 KBS Tour S+
Wedges: Mizuno T7 (46, 50) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge; (55, 60) DG SPinner
Putter: Odyssey O Works #7
Ball: Titleist ProV1X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors