Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The truth behind Kim Jong Ils legendary 38 under par round...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Golfer from MO

Golfer from MO

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359187
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

Some of us have read this in golf mag but I bet many have not seen it - just awesome how lack of knowledge by the wrong people can lead to legendary stories :D

A group of smiling caddies greeted us outside the clubhouse. So did the club manager, a stern-faced, chain-smoking man in a brown suit and cap with a red star above its bill.

After some cajoling through an interpreter, he agreed to field a few of my questions. The first was a no-brainer: had he witnessed the Dear Leader’s fabled round?

He chuckled but said nothing, puffing on an unfiltered cigarette.

What about the record-shattering score and those unforgettable five holes in one?

This time, to my surprise, he answered.

Kim, the manager said, was, of course, a staggering golf talent, possessed of an enchantingly rhythmic swing. But even for a player of his abilities, five aces in one round were out of reach. How that stat had entered into the official record was pretty simple, the manager said: The scorekeeper tracking Kim’s round that day had relied on a relative-to-par system, marking down 0 for pars, 1 for bogeys and 2 for double-bogeys.

Unfamiliar with that scorekeeping shorthand, the North Korean state news agency covering the outing had read the five 1s on Kim’s card as holes-in-one.

Forget the fact that Kim, a rank beginner, probably never sniffed bogey all day. (If you were keeping score for a brutal autocrat, would you dare tell him he’d made nothing but snowmen?)

This above article leads me to think kim Jong shot a 77ish round for his first round(not bad)

His alleged aces at least now made a kind of goofy sense: a mundane error had slipped into the official annals, dispatched proudly on the newswires by the North Koreans, only to be snickered at by the rest of the world.

ALL LEFTY -
Cally tour issue Big Bertha 8.5 TC version GD p9003tx,  Kuro Kage XT 70TX
Cally XR 16 pro 14* TC version Hazardous black 75 handcrafted 6.5 tipped 1.25in
Cally Apex hybrid 18 Ust Recoil 110X (F5 tipped .75)
Bridgeston J15 CB 3-p X7 DG tour

Callaway MD3 52 s400, Callaway MD2 56,60
Odyssey Versa #7 Metal X heavy

The Our WRXer
Our WRXer, Who art on Golfworks, hallowed be Thy game; Thy A-game come, Thy eagles be done on the course as it is in the General Forum. Give us this day our daily bird; and forgive us our slow play as we forgive those who slow play in front of us; and lead us not into early extension, but deliver us from triples. Amen.
Written by:DeNinny

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19383

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

crazy, but that kinda makes sense. That alleged round has gotten so much press covfefe
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#3 ohioglfr

ohioglfr

Municipal Junkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193866
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

Maybe Kim and Dennis Rodman could get together for a round.  

The Odd Couple.

#4 KrazyTrain18

KrazyTrain18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207177
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1089

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:38 PM

I wonder if WRX could negotiate to get in over there for a WITB shoot.
915D3 9.5 (AD-DI 6S Black Edition)
915F 15 (Rogue 80S)
712U 2I (S300)
714 AP2 4-W (S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (S300)
Newport 2.5 SS / Odyssey V Line

#5 PZero

PZero

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7140

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:44 PM

View PostKrazyTrain18, on 15 June 2017 - 11:38 PM, said:

Just don't try to steal any souvenirs at the hotel.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

#6 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 3766

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

View PostPZero, on 15 June 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

View PostKrazyTrain18, on 15 June 2017 - 11:38 PM, said:

Just don't try to steal any souvenirs at the hotel.

Yeah, they'll go ballistic.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9, Motore X (stock)
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Irons: Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* and 54* S Grind, MD2 58* T-grind   
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9

#7 stryper

stryper

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25877
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostGolfer from MO, on 15 June 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

Some of us have read this in golf mag but I bet many have not seen it - just awesome how lack of knowledge by the wrong people can lead to legendary stories :D

A group of smiling caddies greeted us outside the clubhouse. So did the club manager, a stern-faced, chain-smoking man in a brown suit and cap with a red star above its bill.

After some cajoling through an interpreter, he agreed to field a few of my questions. The first was a no-brainer: had he witnessed the Dear Leaderís fabled round?

What about the record-shattering score and those unforgettable five holes in one?

Kim, the manager said, was, of course, a staggering golf talent, possessed of an enchantingly rhythmic swing. But even for a player of his abilities, five aces in one round were out of reach. How that stat had entered into the official record was pretty simple, the manager said: The scorekeeper tracking Kimís round that day had relied on a relative-to-par system, marking down 0 for pars, 1 for bogeys and 2 for double-bogeys.

Unfamiliar with that scorekeeping shorthand, the North Korean state news agency covering the outing had read the five 1s on Kimís card as holes-in-one.

Forget the fact that Kim, a rank beginner, probably never sniffed bogey all day. (If you were keeping score for a brutal autocrat, would you dare tell him heíd made nothing but snowmen?)

This above article leads me to think kim Jong shot a 77ish round for his first round(not bad)

His alleged aces at least now made a kind of goofy sense: a mundane error had slipped into the official annals, dispatched proudly on the newswires by the North Koreans, only to be snickered at by the rest of the world.

Likely the reporter would have noticed any 0's on the card, if that's  how the mis-reporting occurred.  So, with only five 1's, there had to be thirteen 2's or worse.  That being the case, the guy would have been a minimum of 31 over par for the day, unless I misread something in your OP.  

Now I just gotta hope new guy doesn't drop a nuke on me for further exposing the nonsense.
Titleist 913D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
Mizuno MX 23's, 4-9i, w/TT Dynalite Gold-R
Titleist Vokey SM5 48-08 F, 52-08 F, 56-10 S
Callaway Sure Out 64
Odyssey Works Tank Versa #7

#8 hammy83

hammy83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136777
GolfWRX Likes : 1192

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image

Edited by hammy83, 16 June 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#9 dan360

dan360

not a jacked loft

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6042

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:22 AM

They have giant artwork of their faces as required "signage" throughout their country.

There was no 'error'......they know what they're doing.

The smoke & mirrors in North Korea is nearly as bad as that of the Cameron & Co. :to_become_senile:
As of 01AUG2017

Mizuno JPX-800 9°
TaylorMade R7TPST 15°

Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron
Mizuno MP-33 3-P custom single length

Mizuno MP-T11 54/60
PING Anser 2 'pat pending' stainless 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
PING Hoofer green

#10 HoganApexBlades

HoganApexBlades

...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249580
GolfWRX Likes : 1362

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

I think the course he "played" was contrived by his "yes men" and he most likely has never played nor swung a club in his life. What score would you "mark" down if your dictator had a gun shoved in your mouth?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10143

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

How is this thread not 'polyticul'? I got thrown in jail for simply mentioning the Nov eelecshuns.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#12 rsj1360

rsj1360

Member of the Resistance

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204377
GolfWRX Likes : 1052

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

I bet this 38-under round will be beat someday. I can think of one person capable ...

#13 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

View Postrsj1360, on 21 June 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

I bet this 38-under round will be beat someday. I can think of one person capable ...

a billion dollars worth of mulligans will do it
Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#14 WHC888

WHC888

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107191
  • Handicap:7.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

View Poststryper, on 16 June 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

After some cajoling through an interpreter, he agreed to field a few of my questions. The first was a no-brainer: had he witnessed the Dear Leader's fabled round?
Kim, the manager said, was, of course, a staggering golf talent, possessed of an enchantingly rhythmic swing. But even for a player of his abilities, five aces in one round were out of reach. How that stat had entered into the official record was pretty simple, the manager said: The scorekeeper tracking Kim's round that day had relied on a relative-to-par system, marking down 0 for pars, 1 for bogeys and 2 for double-bogeys.
Unfamiliar with that scorekeeping shorthand, the North Korean state news agency covering the outing had read the five 1s on Kim's card as holes-in-one.
Forget the fact that Kim, a rank beginner, probably never sniffed bogey all day. (If you were keeping score for a brutal autocrat, would you dare tell him he'd made nothing but snowmen?)

Likely the reporter would have noticed any 0's on the card, if that's  how the mis-reporting occurred.  So, with only five 1's, there had to be thirteen 2's or worse.  That being the case, the guy would have been a minimum of 31 over par for the day, unless I misread something in your OP.  

Now I just gotta hope new guy doesn't drop a nuke on me for further exposing the nonsense.

yea, instead of 38 UNDER PAR, the number recorded actually reflects number OVER PAR, so his first round of golf was actually in 100s..... instead of 5 "hole in ones", he actually had 5 bogeys.
Taylormade Tour Issue M2 w/ Rogue 125 6X
Taylormade Tour Issue  M1 3 Wood
Taylormade Tour Issue M1 5 Wood
NIKE  4-6 Vapor Pro Combo
NIKE  7-9 Vapor Pro
NIKE OVEN  Engage Wedges 46*/51*/55*/59* Square
NIKE OVEN  Prototype 1/1 Long Slant Neck 006  
NIKE OVEN  Long Slant Neck Origin B2-05

WITB

#15 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostWHC888, on 28 June 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Poststryper, on 16 June 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

After some cajoling through an interpreter, he agreed to field a few of my questions. The first was a no-brainer: had he witnessed the Dear Leader's fabled round?
Kim, the manager said, was, of course, a staggering golf talent, possessed of an enchantingly rhythmic swing. But even for a player of his abilities, five aces in one round were out of reach. How that stat had entered into the official record was pretty simple, the manager said: The scorekeeper tracking Kim's round that day had relied on a relative-to-par system, marking down 0 for pars, 1 for bogeys and 2 for double-bogeys.
Unfamiliar with that scorekeeping shorthand, the North Korean state news agency covering the outing had read the five 1s on Kim's card as holes-in-one.
Forget the fact that Kim, a rank beginner, probably never sniffed bogey all day. (If you were keeping score for a brutal autocrat, would you dare tell him he'd made nothing but snowmen?)

yea, instead of 38 UNDER PAR, the number recorded actually reflects number OVER PAR, so his first round of golf was actually in 100s..... instead of 5 "hole in ones", he actually had 5 bogeys.

why this fascination with facts?

Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors