Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Swing speed almost the same 4i-7i

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Boogeyman

Boogeyman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124262
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:08 AM

I recently switched my irons from Taylormade TP CB's with DG R300 shafts to Mizuno MP-25 (MP-H5 4i an 5i) irons with Project X 6.0 shafts. Those were the shafts that Mizuno swing DNA suggested and they seemed to work fine during the fitting sessions hitting the demo 6i. But after a couple of weeks I'm really starting to get frustrated at the lack of distance that I get from the longer end of the irons. I haven't had access to a Trackman lately but yesterday I was at a range and used my SkyPro to get at least some feedback on what is going on. Starting from 4i and working my way down to 7i, I noticed that I had very limited swing speed differences between clubs. My average swing speeds were: 4i 91 mph, 5i 90 mph, 6i 89 mph and 7i 88 mph. During the days that I got fitted my 6i speed was between 93-95 mph so I wasn't swinging my best out there but surely I should see more separation between the different clubs? After the 4i I hit my 21° hybrid with a light stock stiff shaft and was at around 100 mph which means that the distance gap between my hybrid and 4i is massive.

Now the question is, do I have the wrong shafts in my irons or can this be a swing fault related issue? I could understand losing distance on longer irons due to poor strikes but the strikes weren't that bad. If you need a swing video I can get one uploaded on YouTube. Thanks in advance for all possible insights on the matter!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321019
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

It's a swing issue

#3 Golfjack

Golfjack

That draw keeps creeping back

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

I don't think you are loading that shaft correctly.  Probably you are not used to it yet.  The lighter shafted hybrid shows that.  Also having a different shaft weight/swing weight could lead to some issues during a round.  Better to have it relatively consistent overall.  With 7 iron you are more comfortable yet with 4 iron you probably are more conservative.  Sometimes after so many conservative swings I find it hard to ramp it up.  It becomes a habit.  The most important thing is though a consistent strike and proper distance gapping, so clubhead swingspeed contributes to that, but not the be all end all.  

With a 100 mph hybrid swing speed obviously you swing it pretty fast and am surprised you use a lighter shaft in the hybrid, but it could be that lighter shafts fit you better.
Aeroburner TP 10.5
3W (15) Aeroburner TP
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100
Gauge Design 54, 58 wedges
Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

Alternate set:
Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, Honma HP 1002, Odyssey Arm Lock Putter

#4 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:13 AM

Upload a swing to YouTube, but at your indicated iron speeds, PX 6.0 does not jump off the screen as a surprising recommendation.  High likelihood that it is a swing issue.

#5 AlexCzervic

AlexCzervic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88805
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

Throwaway and/or Lazy right hand.
Either lack of know how or feel for shaft.
AC

Edited by AlexCzervic, 17 June 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#6 Boogeyman

Boogeyman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124262
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments! I've now added two clips of my swings with a 7 iron to YouTube: Face on & Down the line. I also received a swing analysis from Alistair Davies Golf when he offered them for free. Naturally there are lots of things that I should do in order to make my swing more effective but if any of you could point out whether there is anything specific that is causing the loss of swing speed on longer irons I'd very much appreciate it.

When it comes to the lighter shafts on my hybrids, it's more a result of me just always having them in te bag. I've got a 21°TM Rescue 09 with an Aldila RE AX 65 shaft and an 18° TM Burner SuperFast with a
RE AX 60 shaft both in stiff flex. I've had them from around 2011 when I started playing but maybe I should try out some newer options as well. They are easy to hit but the dispersions from side to side could be smaller.

One big change with the new irons or specifically with the shafts I guess was how much bigger the grips felt. Even though I had standard sized grips on my last clubs as well, I think it's the diameter of the PX shafts that makes a difference here. Could that also be a factor in this?

#7 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Re the grip size, likely your old TM's had 60 core grips, and the Mizuno's have 58.  The shafts (DG and PX) have the same butt diameter so the only difference could be the grip core (or extra tape, which is unlikely for new clubs with OEM grips).

#8 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

A lot of nice features in your swing.  As the swing analysis noted, on your backswing you have quite a bit of club run-on (club still moving after your shoulders have stopped rotating).  That makes it a longer trip back to impact on the downswing and synchronizing all your movements becomes more difficult. It is difficult to eliminate this extra movement because it will "feel" like you are hitting half swings, but you'll have to just keep practicing it (and monitoring yourself with video) to get used to the feel.  I'd probably focus on that before you do anything like trying to shallow the club on the downswing.  It might fix itself...you never know.  Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors