Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anyone else find Callaway Supersoft to be extremely straight off the tee?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jhd12

jhd12

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33925
  • Joined: 07/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

For a round or two I just thought I was in a good groove off the tee.  But it has now been several rounds and tee shots seem very, very straight with this Callaway Supersoft.

Anyone else having similar results and finding this to be an unusually straight ball?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#2 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:11.3
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Callaway Supersoft , Srixon Soft Feel '16/17 and Volvik ds55 all fly pretty straight for me with the ds55 about as straight as they come.
Driver: Ping Rapture V2 13.5 Tour 169D
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 20*/23*/26*
Irons: Cleveland 588 Altitude 6-9
Wedges: Cleveland Altitude PW/DW/SW; Callaway Sure Out 64*

Chipper: Odyssey X-Act Tank
Putter: Odyssey MXM #7
Grips: Iomic
Ball: Srixon Soft Feel Yellow
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

2

#3 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Sussex County, NJ
  • Handicap:17.2
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

I would add the Maxfli Softfli and DT TruSoft to the 2 piece low compression ball list for straight drives.

3

#4 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

I do like these straight low compression 2 piece balls. But, they lack the feel of a 3 piece ball, which discourages me from using them. I prefer Gamersoft for a 3 piece ball and low cost ball and Srixon Z star when I can afford them. SS does come in nice colors though, Yellow, Pink, Orange and White.

I just bought the blue Gamersoft for my son's birthday, I will have to try them out. I am concerned that they will be hard to see in the fairway. SS used to come out in blue and it was hard to see in the
fairway.

Edited by Tanner25, 14 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.


4

#5 Huey222

Huey222

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 452974
  • Joined: 01/26/2017
  • Location:Delaware
  • Ebay ID:ickboy88
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

And long...

I've been trying the supersoft, WS duo, and the q star this spring. The supersoft has consistently been the straightest and longest for me.

Edited by Huey222, 14 June 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Titleist 915D2 9.5*
Adams Insight BTY 16.5*
Adams Idea Pro 19*
Srixon 545 4-6
Srixon 745 7-pw
Cleveland 588 Forged 52* and 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

5

#6 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2201

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

I've found it to be extremely round.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Ping G 10.5 R
Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5 R
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
1999-2000 Hogan Apex Plus 5-PW
Evnroll ER2
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

6

#7 Dakeys06

Dakeys06

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448392
  • Joined: 12/08/2016
  • Location:Atlanta
  • Ebay ID:Dakeys06
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

The super soft is a great ball off the tee and a great value. I find it very straight and I can get it to spin pretty well for it only being a 2 piece. It's my go to "cheap" ball

7

#8 Golf64

Golf64

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:SW Ontario Canada
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2448

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:25 AM

How you guys find the spin around the green with the SS?
Gamers 2017:
Hoofer '17
Ping G 3W Alta stiff
Adams Idea Pro 3&4 hydrids VS Proto R
Ping G (5-PW) Modus 105 Tour stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 56* SS
Ping Kinloch C 35''
HX Bite
Super Soft

8

#9 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2201

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

All 2 piece balls will be "straighter" (less side spin) than a 3 or 4 piece ball.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Ping G 10.5 R
Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5 R
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
1999-2000 Hogan Apex Plus 5-PW
Evnroll ER2
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

9

#10 olperfesser

olperfesser

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249180
  • Joined: 05/06/2013
  • Location:North Carolina
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Yes, very straight, but also very long. But that is what it is designed to do.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#11 huskerguy18

huskerguy18

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455700
  • Joined: 02/18/2017
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Handicap:28
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostTanner25, on 14 June 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

I do like these straight low compression 2 piece balls. But, they lack the feel of a 3 piece ball, which discourages me from using them. I prefer Gamersoft for a 3 piece ball and low cost ball and Srixon Z star when I can afford them. SS does come in nice colors though, Yellow, Pink, Orange and White.

I just bought the blue Gamersoft for my son's birthday, I will have to try them out. I am concerned that they will be hard to see in the fairway. SS used to come out in blue and it was hard to see in the
fairway.
Blue balls are impossible to see in the air. I had gotten a multicolor pack of Callaway Supersofts. Took me forever to find my drive. Gave the blue ones to a friend

11

#12 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Sussex County, NJ
  • Handicap:17.2
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

View Posthuskerguy18, on 16 June 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 14 June 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

I do like these straight low compression 2 piece balls. But, they lack the feel of a 3 piece ball, which discourages me from using them. I prefer Gamersoft for a 3 piece ball and low cost ball and Srixon Z star when I can afford them. SS does come in nice colors though, Yellow, Pink, Orange and White.

I just bought the blue Gamersoft for my son's birthday, I will have to try them out. I am concerned that they will be hard to see in the fairway. SS used to come out in blue and it was hard to see in the
fairway.
Blue balls are impossible to see in the air. I had gotten a multicolor pack of Callaway Supersofts. Took me forever to find my drive. Gave the blue ones to a friend

The Gamer Soft is my favorite 3 piece low compression surlyn ball but I tried the blue ones and my 65 year old eyes had trouble seeing them on a green background.

12

#13 Frohlich

Frohlich

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30825
  • Joined: 06/05/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

I have been playing it for a couple of years and love this ball.   The only shortcoming is playing very firm greens they don't hold like a 3 piece ball.  Had this happen a couple of weeks ago where my 7 iron wasn't holding the greens but these were super firm greens...not sure if any ball would have held....the other 99% of the rounds I have played holding greens has been no issue at all.   My swing speed is about 105 to 110 and it is as long or longer than any other ball I have tried.  

And for anybody that thinks low compression balls don't work for high swing speeds:
https://www.youtube....h?v=e0MZePWOwzQ

13

#14 huskerguy18

huskerguy18

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455700
  • Joined: 02/18/2017
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Handicap:28
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

View PostNJpatbee, on 16 June 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

View Posthuskerguy18, on 16 June 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

View PostTanner25, on 14 June 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

I do like these straight low compression 2 piece balls. But, they lack the feel of a 3 piece ball, which discourages me from using them. I prefer Gamersoft for a 3 piece ball and low cost ball and Srixon Z star when I can afford them. SS does come in nice colors though, Yellow, Pink, Orange and White.

I just bought the blue Gamersoft for my son's birthday, I will have to try them out. I am concerned that they will be hard to see in the fairway. SS used to come out in blue and it was hard to see in the
fairway.
Blue balls are impossible to see in the air. I had gotten a multicolor pack of Callaway Supersofts. Took me forever to find my drive. Gave the blue ones to a friend

The Gamer Soft is my favorite 3 piece low compression surlyn ball but I tried the blue ones and my 65 year old eyes had trouble seeing them on a green background.
I'm 29, but I try to avoid blue balls in all aspects of my life from now on

14

#15 Golf64

Golf64

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:SW Ontario Canada
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2448

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:17 AM

Lucky you aren't a Smurf, they have blue balls all the time!? :swoon:

Gamers 2017:
Hoofer '17
Ping G 3W Alta stiff
Adams Idea Pro 3&4 hydrids VS Proto R
Ping G (5-PW) Modus 105 Tour stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 56* SS
Ping Kinloch C 35''
HX Bite
Super Soft

15

#16 Fade to Black

Fade to Black

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128981
  • Joined: 05/18/2011
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 1023

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

View Postlawsonman, on 15 June 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

All 2 piece balls will be "straighter" (less side spin) than a 3 or 4 piece ball.
What's the physics behind that? Always thought it was dimple size and pattern that affected how straight a ball went, not the number of pieces in the ball.
Driver: Callaway GBB 9.5* (Diamana ahina 70X)
Wood: pending
Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
Irons: Nike VR_S Forged 4-PW (DG X100)
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB 50*/54*/58*
Putter: Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Balls: Srixon QStar/ZstarXV

16

#17 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2201

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostFade to Black, on 17 June 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

View Postlawsonman, on 15 June 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

All 2 piece balls will be "straighter" (less side spin) than a 3 or 4 piece ball.
What's the physics behind that? Always thought it was dimple size and pattern that affected how straight a ball went, not the number of pieces in the ball.

Never been a  physics guy Fade. It's just always been my experience. I would imagine the type of cover used on hi spin balls is the biggest reason.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Ping G 10.5 R
Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5 R
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
1999-2000 Hogan Apex Plus 5-PW
Evnroll ER2
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

17

#18 xkilgorextroutx

xkilgorextroutx

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466834
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:MA
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostFrohlich, on 16 June 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

I have been playing it for a couple of years and love this ball.   The only shortcoming is playing very firm greens they don't hold like a 3 piece ball.  Had this happen a couple of weeks ago where my 7 iron wasn't holding the greens but these were super firm greens...not sure if any ball would have held....the other 99% of the rounds I have played holding greens has been no issue at all.   My swing speed is about 105 to 110 and it is as long or longer than any other ball I have tried.  

And for anybody that thinks low compression balls don't work for high swing speeds:
https://www.youtube....h?v=e0MZePWOwzQ

I'm of the same mind about the SS. Very straight off the tee, feels great. Can't hold a firm or dry green at all. It's not so bad when things are soggy/wet, but other than that, nope. Spin is non-existent and it just bounces off.

18

#19 lenman73

lenman73

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
  • Joined: 05/25/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

I dont remember a lot about the ss.  I played them a year or 2 ago.  I remember liking them but that's about it.  The surprise to me this year was the superhot 70. I could not believe how straight they were. I only played one round with them because the snells I ordered showed up, but when those are gone I am gonna give the 70's the full team try.

19

#20 Mukky

Mukky

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440390
  • Joined: 09/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Add the Bridgestone E6 to the straight ball list. Don't think I've played a ball that wanted to fly straighter than that one


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 armyhawk3342

armyhawk3342

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463600
  • Joined: 04/15/2017
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:39 AM

I recently bought 2 dozen for my dad and he normally has a pretty drastic slice but since he's started playing these he's really straightened out his drives. Not sure if it's the balls or if he's secretly been taking lessons.
Driver: Cobra F6+ (9.5*)
Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5*)
Irons: Cobra F6 (4-GW)
Wedges: Cobra King Wedges V-Grind (54*, 58*)
Taylormade ATV (62*)
Putter: Odyssey O-Works #9
Ball: Srixon Z Star

21



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors