Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 4 votes

US Open on links style courses - booo


303 replies to this topic

#61 ldchristopher

ldchristopher

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431090
  • Joined: 06/30/2016
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:2.5
  • Ebay ID:louchratis
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

The U.S. Open might be considered a golf tournament to people who naively view it as strictly a challenging test of skill, but to the USGA, it's a highly-rated television program. According to the people in charge, Links/Heartland/Heathland/Prairie/Whatever Courses look better on television than courses that are tree-lined (personally, I tend to agree but that's neither here nor there). I realize I'm opening myself up to people who disagree and you're welcome to. However, professional golf is really just catching up to every other televised sport in that, in the eyes of the folks who run the "show" (see what I did there?), the most important part is how the product looks from the comfort of a viewer's home.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 900 15 w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 stiff
5 Wood: Titleist 917F 18˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 gram stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
4 iron: Mizuno MP-54 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
5 - 7 iron: Mizuno MP-5 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
8 iron PW: Mizuno MP-4 w/ KBS Tour 120 Black Nickel
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52/7 and 58/12
Putter: LaJosi Sensor 303SS w/ oil can finish
Back-up Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3628

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Fake links references, Scottish tartan everywhere, the "117th" on the logo, all the old style and historic bs for a course finished in 2006... just hand the winner a Jug and a belt...

Edited by imakaveli, 15 June 2017 - 08:22 AM.


2

#63 doublehans

doublehans

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312587
  • Joined: 05/01/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

While the usga has experimented recently w new venues in erin hills and chambers bay (plus setting up pinehurst differently), before we think they are veering off the edge its worth noting that ALL the future us open venues through 2026 are well known or traditional courses. Its not like the usga is on some radical path given their very conservative course rotation for the next 9 opens after this one.

3

#64 NoFancyUsername.

NoFancyUsername.

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457988
  • Joined: 03/09/2017
  • Location:Uranus.
  • Handicap:+
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

"Links" in the USA is more a marketing ploy.
I don't believe there is a links course in the USA.
Links means that it Is land on the sea front that is not suitable for agriculture....stands between the sea and farming land.
Bunkers are deep to prevent sand from blowing away...pot bunkers are not for looks...lol.
Must play fast and firm, sometimes with crusty fairways and greens.
Knolls and knobs to create bounces and angles.
.....and all greens to be approachable on the ground allowing run up shots,  par 3s included.
Erin Hills is definitely NOT a links course.
You got money in ya pocket..I'll play +
No money...I'll play like 18 capper.

4

#65 Sixcat

Sixcat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
  • Joined: 12/28/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 June 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 14 June 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 14 June 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

They took out most of the trees at Oakmont.  DOES THAT MAKE IT A LINKS STYLE LAY OUT?
Actually yes, as a Fownes' original design objective back in 19002-03 was to create the finest and most difficult links style track on this side of the pond and the course stayed true to his initial design until the USGA wanted more trees in the mid 1950's, so Oakmont started the tree schtick from the late 50's into the mid/late 70's, and then between the 1983 Open and last year's Open, roughly 15,000+ trees were removed from the interior of the course, with just over half of those coming out prior to the 2007 Open. That is how Oakmont landed the 2003 US Am, which they co-hosted with my club, as sort of a carrot/stick" thingy for removing "x-amount" of trees.

The stick?

The USGA stated simply that if Oakmont didn't remove the trees and build a new bridge over the PA Turnpike to replace the small narrow archaic walking bridge that was long overdue to be replaced, they had seen their last major during a big powwow following the 1994 US Open.

The Oakmont Boys were reallllly pissed cuz they were not used to being told what to do, how to do it and when it had to be done by����

...
Have a Great day Gents��
RP

Richard, you are certainly closer to the source than I,  but I suspect that members unhappy with the change are promoting the "USGA made us do it" line.  I credit forward thinking leadership in the club recognizing the benefits of returning the masterpiece to its original glory.

No doubt about the USGA influence on the bridge however.

Oakmont was stunning on television with the vast openness and rolling terrain.  I have never seen Oakmont in person but those old 'national treasure" courses should stay true to who they are and what they were designed and intended to be.  

I applaud Pinehurst as well for restoring #2 back to past glory.  #2 fits the natural topography and surrounding landscape now, as it did 100 years ago.  It was never meant to be wall-to-wall green and should never have been altered to reflect such a look.  I have been to Pinehurst, many times, and always thought It looked dramatically out of place when it was completely covered in burmuda and inconsistent with anything found inside 50 square miles of Pinehurst.


5

#66 doublehans

doublehans

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312587
  • Joined: 05/01/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

View Postldchristopher, on 15 June 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

The U.S. Open might be considered a golf tournament to people who naively view it as strictly a challenging test of skill, but to the USGA, it's a highly-rated television program. According to the people in charge, Links/Heartland/Heathland/Prairie/Whatever Courses look better on television than courses that are tree-lined (personally, I tend to agree but that's neither here nor there). I realize I'm opening myself up to people who disagree and you're welcome to. However, professional golf is really just catching up to every other televised sport in that, in the eyes of the folks who run the "show" (see what I did there?), the most important part is how the product looks from the comfort of a viewer's home.

I generally agree, sometimes it depends on the course (trees at Sahalee looked pretty stunning on TV when PGA went there but thats prob cause we dont get many tourney's in that area) but I like the wide open look.

Not sure if thats a factor for TV execs tho. Masters is far and away the highest rated major and its on the ultimate parkland course. I imagine part of going to these new venues was just these new courses have tons of room to set up facilities they can charge $ for vs some older courses that are more constrained.

6

#67 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3628

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

View PostNoFancyUsername., on 15 June 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

"Links" in the USA is more a marketing ploy.
I don't believe there is a links course in the USA.
Links means that it Is land on the sea front that is not suitable for agriculture....stands between the sea and farming land.
Bunkers are deep to prevent sand from blowing away...pot bunkers are not for looks...lol.
Must play fast and firm, sometimes with crusty fairways and greens.
Knolls and knobs to create bounces and angles.
.....and all greens to be approachable on the ground allowing run up shots,  par 3s included.
Erin Hills is definitely NOT a links course.

There are indeed true links in the USA: Bandon Dunes, Highland Links and Cabot Links. Unfortunately in the States links is used in a lot of cases as a synonym of "cool golf course" or "treeless golf course"

7

#68 BurnleyShank

BurnleyShank

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465830
  • Joined: 05/01/2017
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 15 June 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:



There are indeed true links in the USA: Bandon Dunes, Highland Links and Cabot Links. Unfortunately in the States links is used in a lot of cases as a synonym of "cool golf course" or "treeless golf course"

I think the proper term is "links-style", fescue, wind, hard greens/fairways, no trees or lakes etc.

Seeing as the Masters is always a parklands/woodlands, and the PGA Championship usually is, is it so bad to have a US major at a links style course? Most events throughout the year are also at parklands/woodlands courses on the PGA tour anyway. I like it.

Trees aren't as much of a penalty as nasty fescue can be these days imo, too many players hit beautiful low hooks and cuts to navigate out of trouble instead of chipping/blasting out like fescue usually requires.
| Driver: Titleist 915D2 9.5o Diamana Blue (Tipped 1") @44" |
| Fairway Wood:  Titleist 915F 3W 15o Diamana Blue (Tipped 1") @42"    |
| Fairway Wood:  Titleist 915F 5W 19.5o Diamana Blue (Tipped 1") @41.5" |
| Irons:    Titleist 714 CB 3-PW Project X 6.0                                 |
| Gap Wedge: Cleveland RTX3 Tour Satin 52o/10o Project X 6.0              |
| Sand Wedge: Cleveland RTX3 Tour Satin 58o/6o Project X 6.0               |
| Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X7M DB 38"                                |

| Sun Mountain 5.5 Hybrid Stand Bag | Bushnell Tour Switch V4 Slope |

8

#69 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3882

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Not sure a US Open necessarily needs to be on a heavily tree limed course or a links course. I think somewhere in the middle, not tree lined but with a number of strategically placed trees can make for exciting but still difficult golf. It's amazing how often well placed trees can come into play on otherwise open courses. On my course they took out alot of trees to help the fairways grow and to make the course playable, but by leaving a few trees in key positions the course a real is still tough but brings a real risk/reward element into play. Would be exciting as hell watching the shot makers work the ball around imstead of choppimg sideways from long rough or thick trees too.

Edited by playa, 15 June 2017 - 09:00 AM.


9

#70 Bad9

Bad9

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Joined: 09/21/2009
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1407

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 15 June 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostNoFancyUsername., on 15 June 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

"Links" in the USA is more a marketing ploy.
I don't believe there is a links course in the USA.
Links means that it Is land on the sea front that is not suitable for agriculture....stands between the sea and farming land.
Bunkers are deep to prevent sand from blowing away...pot bunkers are not for looks...lol.
Must play fast and firm, sometimes with crusty fairways and greens.
Knolls and knobs to create bounces and angles.
.....and all greens to be approachable on the ground allowing run up shots,  par 3s included.
Erin Hills is definitely NOT a links course.

There are indeed true links in the USA: Bandon Dunes, Highland Links and Cabot Links. Unfortunately in the States links is used in a lot of cases as a synonym of "cool golf course" or "treeless golf course"

Given that Manifest Destiny has not been fulfilled Highland Links and Cabot Links are still in Canada, not the USA.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3628

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

View PostBad9, on 15 June 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

View Postimakaveli, on 15 June 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostNoFancyUsername., on 15 June 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

"Links" in the USA is more a marketing ploy.
I don't believe there is a links course in the USA.
Links means that it Is land on the sea front that is not suitable for agriculture....stands between the sea and farming land.
Bunkers are deep to prevent sand from blowing away...pot bunkers are not for looks...lol.
Must play fast and firm, sometimes with crusty fairways and greens.
Knolls and knobs to create bounces and angles.
.....and all greens to be approachable on the ground allowing run up shots,  par 3s included.
Erin Hills is definitely NOT a links course.

There are indeed true links in the USA: Bandon Dunes, Highland Links and Cabot Links. Unfortunately in the States links is used in a lot of cases as a synonym of "cool golf course" or "treeless golf course"

Given that Manifest Destiny has not been fulfilled Highland Links and Cabot Links are still in Canada, not the USA.

Oops :)

11

#72 Bad9

Bad9

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Joined: 09/21/2009
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1407

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 15 June 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

View PostBad9, on 15 June 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

View Postimakaveli, on 15 June 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostNoFancyUsername., on 15 June 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

"Links" in the USA is more a marketing ploy.
I don't believe there is a links course in the USA.
Links means that it Is land on the sea front that is not suitable for agriculture....stands between the sea and farming land.
Bunkers are deep to prevent sand from blowing away...pot bunkers are not for looks...lol.
Must play fast and firm, sometimes with crusty fairways and greens.
Knolls and knobs to create bounces and angles.
.....and all greens to be approachable on the ground allowing run up shots,  par 3s included.
Erin Hills is definitely NOT a links course.

There are indeed true links in the USA: Bandon Dunes, Highland Links and Cabot Links. Unfortunately in the States links is used in a lot of cases as a synonym of "cool golf course" or "treeless golf course"

Given that Manifest Destiny has not been fulfilled Highland Links and Cabot Links are still in Canada, not the USA.

Oops :)
:drinks:

12

#73 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Cubs win ! Cubs win!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 12070

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 June 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

Can't understand why people can't embrace variety.  Our nation has a vast diversity of landscapes, why is one style "correct?"

Is the USGA perhaps premature in fast-tracking new venues?  There may be merit to that argument.

But to say the US Open should only be played on a tree-lined traditional parkland course is just closed-minded.

I welcome the change.

Sure. Next year the masters will be held at chambers bay.  Is that enough change for you ?
17 M2 V2 8  tour head  Aldila Tour Blue 85 TX  (Tour only Rogue Graphics)
17 M1 14.5   tour head Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
17 M2 17.5   tour head Aerotech 70 F6 Prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 3-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw  56 60 Modus 130S
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights
Bridgestone B330S

13

#74 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23240

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 June 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 14 June 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 14 June 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

They took out most of the trees at Oakmont.  DOES THAT MAKE IT A LINKS STYLE LAY OUT?
Actually yes, as a Fownes' original design objective back in 19002-03 was to create the finest and most difficult links style track on this side of the pond and the course stayed true to his initial design until the USGA wanted more trees in the mid 1950's, so Oakmont started the tree schtick from the late 50's into the mid/late 70's, and then between the 1983 Open and last year's Open, roughly 15,000+ trees were removed from the interior of the course, with just over half of those coming out prior to the 2007 Open. That is how Oakmont landed the 2003 US Am, which they co-hosted with my club, as sort of a carrot/stick" thingy for removing "x-amount" of trees.

The stick?

The USGA stated simply that if Oakmont didn't remove the trees and build a new bridge over the PA Turnpike to replace the small narrow archaic walking bridge that was long overdue to be replaced, they had seen their last major during a big powwow following the 1994 US Open.

The Oakmont Boys were reallllly pissed cuz they were not used to being told what to do, how to do it and when it had to be done by😂😂

...
Have a Great day Gents🍻
RP

Richard, you are certainly closer to the source than I,  but I suspect that members unhappy with the change are promoting the "USGA made us do it" line.  I credit forward thinking leadership in the club recognizing the benefits of returning the masterpiece to its original glory.

No doubt about the USGA influence on the bridge however.
Initially, in 1993-94 when the USGA broached the subject, Oakmont had already cut down 2500-3000 trees from the interior of the course, and at the time, had no plans to take out any more, accept those that obviously would pose a danger or were dead/dying.

Ya have to remember also that the guys who were alive and at the top of the club hierarchy back in the 30-50's when the club had the links style look(it's more than just a lack of trees as has been mentioned) were also dead and dying and no longer running things, so the guys in power, one, had only seen pictures of "THE Oakmont(this is how the original layout was referred to)" and not "experienced" it and two, and going to your statement, were not used to being told how to take care of their course.

It got so tense that some "old timers" were indeed called back to "active duty" as former USGA Prez, Senior Exec Board Member and Icon Sandy Tatum came outa the gallery, flew into town and had lunch at the club with some guys from both the "old guard" and the new, and an agreement was worked out, and this was when Oakmont was given both the Men's 2003 US Am and and a US Ladies Open within 5 years after hosting their next Men's Open, and though it wasn't know then, it was in pencil as the 2007-08 US Open(it would be 2007)  and it would turn out to be the 2010 US Ladies Open.

The bridge actually didn't cause that big of a commotion as that old bridge sucked on a daily basis and was a joke if ya had more than a foursome or two, much less thousands of fans, lol.

And member, and Hedge Fund Icon, Stan Druckenmiller took care of that with his penny piggy bank, not even his pocket change, hahaha. He said "do what ya gotta do and send me the bill."

A far far bigger bruhaha took place in 2007 on Friday evening over the rough where there were almost at least two fist fights, the Club's Grounds keeper, a legend within his community was threatened with his job, and a late night/early morning agreement was struck at about 12:30am which had the mowers out in the dark w/lights cutting rough at 4:30 am😂😂

They got some great guys over there as Kirk well knows but they're a pack of friggin Divas😂😂😂

They make our place look genteel, LMAO

Oh yea, you were absolutely correct in that they blamed, slammed and relentlessly talked down the USGA 😂

I miss the game but I really miss the off the course stuff, lmao

Enjoy the weekend and tourney Bro👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 15 June 2017 - 10:39 AM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

14

#75 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 16247

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

I've seen these types of courses referred to as prairie style courses. Few trees, and lots of native grasses. They may look like a links course, but they are primarily an aerial attack. In my area, we probably have more prairie style courses than woodland courses.

Edited by Argonne69, 15 June 2017 - 10:43 AM.


15

#76 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5241

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 June 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 14 June 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

View Postgvogel, on 14 June 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

They took out most of the trees at Oakmont.  DOES THAT MAKE IT A LINKS STYLE LAY OUT?
Actually yes, as a Fownes' original design objective back in 19002-03 was to create the finest and most difficult links style track on this side of the pond and the course stayed true to his initial design until the USGA wanted more trees in the mid 1950's, so Oakmont started the tree schtick from the late 50's into the mid/late 70's, and then between the 1983 Open and last year's Open, roughly 15,000+ trees were removed from the interior of the course, with just over half of those coming out prior to the 2007 Open. That is how Oakmont landed the 2003 US Am, which they co-hosted with my club, as sort of a carrot/stick" thingy for removing "x-amount" of trees.

The stick?

The USGA stated simply that if Oakmont didn't remove the trees and build a new bridge over the PA Turnpike to replace the small narrow archaic walking bridge that was long overdue to be replaced, they had seen their last major during a big powwow following the 1994 US Open.

The Oakmont Boys were reallllly pissed cuz they were not used to being told what to do, how to do it and when it had to be done by����

...
Have a Great day Gents��
RP

Richard, you are certainly closer to the source than I,  but I suspect that members unhappy with the change are promoting the "USGA made us do it" line.  I credit forward thinking leadership in the club recognizing the benefits of returning the masterpiece to its original glory.

No doubt about the USGA influence on the bridge however.

Oakmont was stunning on television with the vast openness and rolling terrain.  I have never seen Oakmont in person but those old 'national treasure" courses should stay true to who they are and what they were designed and intended to be.  

I applaud Pinehurst as well for restoring #2 back to past glory.  #2 fits the natural topography and surrounding landscape now, as it did 100 years ago.  It was never meant to be wall-to-wall green and should never have been altered to reflect such a look.  I have been to Pinehurst, many times, and always thought It looked dramatically out of place when it was completely covered in burmuda and inconsistent with anything found inside 50 square miles of Pinehurst.
I completely agree the wall to wall green was so blah at pinehurst, the resto is awesome. Now we need Pebble to bite the bullet
Posted Image
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

16

#77 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5241

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

I've seen these types of courses referred to as prairie style courses. Few trees, and lots of native grasses. The may look like a links course, but they are primarily an aerial attack. In my area, we probably have more prairie style courses than woodland courses.
Yea prairie is apt as Prairie Dunes is probably the poster child for this style
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

17

#78 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 16247

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

View Postknock it close, on 15 June 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

I've seen these types of courses referred to as prairie style courses. Few trees, and lots of native grasses. The may look like a links course, but they are primarily an aerial attack. In my area, we probably have more prairie style courses than woodland courses.
Yea prairie is apt as Prairie Dunes is probably the poster child for this style

Actually, Prairie Dunes plays more like an actual links course. The Sand Hills area was once the bottom of an inland sea (Western Interior Seaway), so it's pretty much an oceanside course without the ocean.

Erin Hills, French Lick (Dye), Whistling Straits, Harborside International (Chicago), Prairie View (IL), Prairie Landing (IL), Metamora Fields (IL), Purgatory (IN), and Eagle Eye (MI) come to mind when I think of prairie-style courses.

18

#79 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5241

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

View Postknock it close, on 15 June 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

I've seen these types of courses referred to as prairie style courses. Few trees, and lots of native grasses. The may look like a links course, but they are primarily an aerial attack. In my area, we probably have more prairie style courses than woodland courses.
Yea prairie is apt as Prairie Dunes is probably the poster child for this style

Actually, Prairie Dunes plays more like an actual links course. The Sand Hills area was once the bottom of an inland sea (Western Interior Seaway), so it's pretty much an oceanside course without the ocean.

Erin Hills, French Lick (Dye), Whistling Straits, Harborside International (Chicago), Prairie View (IL), Prairie Landing (IL), Metamora Fields (IL), Purgatory (IN), and Eagle Eye (MI) come to mind when I think of prairie-style courses.
Right I missed the whole aerial thing
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

19

#80 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

    Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
  • Joined: 09/18/2007
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 1709

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 15 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 June 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

Can't understand why people can't embrace variety.  Our nation has a vast diversity of landscapes, why is one style "correct?"

Is the USGA perhaps premature in fast-tracking new venues?  There may be merit to that argument.

But to say the US Open should only be played on a tree-lined traditional parkland course is just closed-minded.

I welcome the change.

Sure. Next year the masters will be held at chambers bay.  Is that enough change for you ?

A reduction to the ridiculous.



Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23240

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

And a Major Hats off to Bob Ford, former Oakmont HP(now he's just a regular dues paying member, lol)Current Seminole CC HP, the annual Starter for the US Open-

There are none finer🎩

My Best👊
RP

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_1909.JPG
  • IMG_7329.JPG

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

21

#82 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 4815

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 15 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

View Postteejaywhy, on 15 June 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

Can't understand why people can't embrace variety.  Our nation has a vast diversity of landscapes, why is one style "correct?"

Is the USGA perhaps premature in fast-tracking new venues?  There may be merit to that argument.

But to say the US Open should only be played on a tree-lined traditional parkland course is just closed-minded.

I welcome the change.

Sure. Next year the masters will be held at chambers bay.  Is that enough change for you ?

Oh come on Blade.......I hope you are being sarcastic, the Masters is the Masters, it aint going anywhere.  

I like variety, Pebble, Pinhurst, Shinnecock are all great US Open venues.  I don't mind a new venue every now and then, Chambers with the greens was NOT good, Erin Hills seems like a great course.  But, it is NOT  a links, and the fairways are too wide for a US Open, as I am typing this Fowler is -6 after 11 holes, it's playing like the Honda/Insurance/shipping container regular tour event not a US Open.  I really hope the wind picks up or the winner will be -20.
Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

22

#83 ConcentricDimples

ConcentricDimples

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 269906
  • Joined: 08/11/2013
  • Location:South Bend, IN, USA
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

While I like having trees on a golf course, I agree that this isn't a links course.

But I think everyone here knows what the OP is talking about.


About the course design; I call it modern.  Maybe millennial, avant-garde, etc.

Courses with that type of design (with it without tees) are a dime a dozen.

23

#84 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Central Illinois
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1115

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

I think the reason the US Open is at Erin Hills is that the USGA is still searching for that superstar course (public preferably) in the Midwest it can take the tournament to every ten years.

Oakland Hills, Medinah, Cog Hill, Olympia Fields and Hazeltine just aren't it.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

24

#85 Sixcat

Sixcat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
  • Joined: 12/28/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think the reason the US Open is at Erin Hills is that the USGA is still searching for that superstar course (public preferably) in the Midwest it can take the tournament to every ten years.

Oakland Hills, Medinah, Cog Hill, Olympia Fields and Hazeltine just aren't it.


I'm not sure what the deal is with North Shore Country Club, Skokie Country Club and Chicago Golf Club.  Maybe someone on this site is familiar with the "politics" of the membership base.  I would like to see the USGA attempt to bring some of the famous old courses back into the loop like they did with Merion.  North Shore hosted the 2011 Western Am so maybe it's coming back into the loop.

Edited by Sixcat, 15 June 2017 - 01:29 PM.


25

#86 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 16247

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think the reason the US Open is at Erin Hills is that the USGA is still searching for that superstar course (public preferably) in the Midwest it can take the tournament to every ten years.

Oakland Hills, Medinah, Cog Hill, Olympia Fields and Hazeltine just aren't it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with North Shore Country Club, Skokie Country Club and Chicago Golf Club.  Maybe someone on this site is familiar with the "politics" of the membership base.  I would like to see the USGA attempt to bring some of the famous old courses back into the loop like they did with Merion.  North Shore hosted the 2011 Western Am so maybe it's coming back into the loop.

Lack of acreage probably. While the U.S. Open can be hosted on a small piece of property, the USGA prefers wider vistas. Erin Hills has that in spades.

26

#87 Sixcat

Sixcat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
  • Joined: 12/28/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think the reason the US Open is at Erin Hills is that the USGA is still searching for that superstar course (public preferably) in the Midwest it can take the tournament to every ten years.

Oakland Hills, Medinah, Cog Hill, Olympia Fields and Hazeltine just aren't it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with North Shore Country Club, Skokie Country Club and Chicago Golf Club.  Maybe someone on this site is familiar with the "politics" of the membership base.  I would like to see the USGA attempt to bring some of the famous old courses back into the loop like they did with Merion.  North Shore hosted the 2011 Western Am so maybe it's coming back into the loop.

Lack of acreage probably. While the U.S. Open can be hosted on a small piece of property, the USGA prefers wider vistas. Erin Hills has that in spades.

Merion sits on 126 acres........total!  I get not wanting that logistical nightmare very often but I don't see any reason why the USGA can't pull it off once a decade or so.

With that said, Erin Hills is proving to be a spectacular view on television.  I'm just a huge fan of the old classics.  :taunt:

27

#88 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5241

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think the reason the US Open is at Erin Hills is that the USGA is still searching for that superstar course (public preferably) in the Midwest it can take the tournament to every ten years.

Oakland Hills, Medinah, Cog Hill, Olympia Fields and Hazeltine just aren't it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with North Shore Country Club, Skokie Country Club and Chicago Golf Club.  Maybe someone on this site is familiar with the "politics" of the membership base.  I would like to see the USGA attempt to bring some of the famous old courses back into the loop like they did with Merion.  North Shore hosted the 2011 Western Am so maybe it's coming back into the loop.

Lack of acreage probably. While the U.S. Open can be hosted on a small piece of property, the USGA prefers wider vistas. Erin Hills has that in spades.

Merion sits on 126 acres........total!  I get not wanting that logistical nightmare very often but I don't see any reason why the USGA can't pull it off once a decade or so.

With that said, Erin Hills is proving to be a spectacular view on television.  I'm just a huge fan of the old classics.  :taunt:
Everything I've read about Chicago GC is that they don't give a damn about hosting (like PV) its also too short. But it would be great to see an Open on a peak CB. FAR&SURE

Edited by knock it close, 15 June 2017 - 04:14 PM.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

28

#89 Sixcat

Sixcat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
  • Joined: 12/28/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

View Postknock it close, on 15 June 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 15 June 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think the reason the US Open is at Erin Hills is that the USGA is still searching for that superstar course (public preferably) in the Midwest it can take the tournament to every ten years.

Oakland Hills, Medinah, Cog Hill, Olympia Fields and Hazeltine just aren't it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with North Shore Country Club, Skokie Country Club and Chicago Golf Club.  Maybe someone on this site is familiar with the "politics" of the membership base.  I would like to see the USGA attempt to bring some of the famous old courses back into the loop like they did with Merion.  North Shore hosted the 2011 Western Am so maybe it's coming back into the loop.

Lack of acreage probably. While the U.S. Open can be hosted on a small piece of property, the USGA prefers wider vistas. Erin Hills has that in spades.

Merion sits on 126 acres........total!  I get not wanting that logistical nightmare very often but I don't see any reason why the USGA can't pull it off once a decade or so.

With that said, Erin Hills is proving to be a spectacular view on television.  I'm just a huge fan of the old classics.  :taunt:
Everything I've read about Chicago GC is that they don't give a damn about hosting (like PV) its also too short. But it would be great to see an Open on a peak CB. FAR&SURE

I thought that may be the case.  The money required for membership at a place like Pine Valley and Chicago GC typically goes hand-in-hand with wealth and privilege.  Those folks don't often take kindly to the Mike Davis's of the world telling them what to do with their property.  Not to mention, they obviously don't want or need to prestige or notoriety.

29

#90 AaronSmart

AaronSmart

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388346
  • Joined: 07/28/2015
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

It's a links styled course. It may not have the ocean, but Erin Hills is much closer to that of other links style courses in the UK, and that's clearly enough to be called a "links style"

Either way, each course is always different and I'm glad to see something different and if the USGA is trying to mimic the British Open (twice every 26 years), fine we me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors