Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

COBRA LTD DRIVER SHAFT ISSUES! HELP!

cobra ltd cobra ltd cobra driver

41 replies to this topic

#1 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hey guys got a couple questions about an ongoing issue I am having with my Cobra LTD driver and breaking shafts. I will try to keep this short. So i really liked a friends Cobra with an Oban shaft in it so I decided to get an LTD late last season. Picked up a new one for a deal with stock shaft (weak X stiff) and had reputable local golf shop pull a Titleist adapter off one of my Rogue 80X and put a cobra adapter on it. Range session or two and a couple rounds it was rocking it. Maybe 2nd or 3rd round with it I heard something after I hit one. I inspect shaft at tip and its cracked and I can wiggle tip around? Not good. (see first photo) So i took back to golf shop I had tips swapped and they got me a new rogue 80x. I took to another (different) reputable local golf shop and had same thing done. Pulled Titleist adapter and put on cobra tip. First round with it maybe on 3rd drive of the day I heard it again! Go to put headcover on it and leave in bag and head just fell right off! Awful! (see second photo) They both say tips were installed properly and looked fine. This is not the first issue I have heard of this either. Played with a guy today that broke a Matrix shaft in his ltd right at the tip as well and heard of several others as well locally. My question is what can i do? I have a brand new Rogue 80X uncut and a brand new OEM cobra tip coming now but do I risk again? Aldila recommends tipping the black/silver series 1" but can I do more? Maybe that would help? Do I change shafts? Really don't want to because I like comparing apples to apples. My 913/917 with rogue to cobra with rogue. I am really at a loss on what to do since it was my favorite driver and had best distance and accuracy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 TheLetterSee

TheLetterSee

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 319097
  • Joined: 06/05/2014
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

I'm not sure what would help or hurt this but the only driver shaft that I've broken besides an old stock R11 shaft was an Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X. It didn't break at the tip but almost perfectly in the middle. I loved the Rogue but I don't have the balls to buy another one and risk it.
Channeling my inner Stenson and using 3 wood off the tee.
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 S
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 85H X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200

Bettinardi Queen B 8 35.25" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord w/ 4 wraps under top hand

2

#3 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostTheLetterSee, on 10 June 2017 - 09:08 PM, said:

I'm not sure what would help or hurt this but the only driver shaft that I've broken besides an old stock R11 shaft was an Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X. It didn't break at the tip but almost perfectly in the middle. I loved the Rogue but I don't have the balls to buy another one and risk it.

Yeah I got a good deal on the rogue but is it gonna break again? $100+ loss again lol
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

3

#4 jasonp87

jasonp87

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
  • Joined: 10/23/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:23 AM

This is no coincidence then. I had the exact same thing happen to my rogue black and rogue silver. Both were pulls from a Titleist that I threw into my cobra F6+ it's gotta be the way Titleist preps vs the cobra Adaptor or something I swear.
Driver-----Taylormade M3 (8.5*) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X 45"
3W---------Cobra King F6 3/4W (14.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 75 S 42.65"
5W---------Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5W (17.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
3H---------Cobra King F6 3/4H (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.5"
Irons------Maltby MMB-17 4-PW Modus 3 125X
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) Modus 3 125X/Modus 125 Wedge
Putter------Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" SS Midslim 2.0
Golf Ball--Pro V1, ProV1x, Z Star, B300RX

4

#5 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

View Postjasonp87, on 11 June 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

This is no coincidence then. I had the exact same thing happen to my rogue black and rogue silver. Both were pulls from a Titleist that I threw into my cobra F6+ it's gotta be the way Titleist preps vs the cobra Adaptor or something I swear.

Well I have an uncut rogue sitting in my room so I try it now? Also buying a 75 x hazardous shaft to try in the meantime from a local just to see.

Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

5

#6 KRW59

KRW59

    Hoarder

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405842
  • Joined: 12/16/2015
  • Location:Southwestern Missouri
  • Handicap:4.9
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

View Postjasonp87, on 11 June 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

This is no coincidence then. I had the exact same thing happen to my rogue black and rogue silver. Both were pulls from a Titleist that I threw into my cobra F6+ it's gotta be the way Titleist preps vs the cobra Adaptor or something I swear.

Titleist has a longer tip prep for their adapter/ ferrule combo.
When moving a shaft from a Titleist to a Cobra adapter I always
tip the shaft .25" to .5" to get the prep area below the top edge
of  the adapter. Also deburr the inside edge of the adapter just
to be safe.

.
Cobra King F8 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
TEE EX10 19* / Attas 4U 7-S
TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-X
TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 95-X

Adams XTD Forged / 28* 6 iron thru 44* pw
Recoil Prototype 95 F4 / Soft stepped twice

Piretti Forged wedges             Piretti Putters in rotation
48* / Recoil 110 F4               1/1 GSS High toe,deep faced Potenza II
53* / Recoil 110 F4               Murdered Savona 2 Elite
58* / Recoil 125 F4               Workshop #1 of 2 GSS Capri

               Flask - Crown Black

6

#7 ckay

ckay

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14808
  • Joined: 05/15/2006
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 903

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

I stopped playing pulls for this reason
Taylormade M1 430 10.5* Rogue 125 60 TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

7

#8 OffTheDole

OffTheDole

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258568
  • Joined: 06/24/2013
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

I had a Diamana 'ahina that cracked inside a Cobra adapter in my LTD. It was a pull from a Ping Anser I had before (I liked the shaft).

Haven't had any trouble with the new shafts I've put in the head since, a Fujikura Speeder Evo Tour Spec 7.2 and an Atmos Black.

Like ckay said, avoiding pulls will probably save you the hassle.

8

#9 TheLetterSee

TheLetterSee

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 319097
  • Joined: 06/05/2014
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

If it helps at all, my Rogue Silver was a free upgrade straight from Taylormade for a custom order M2. It wasn't a pull or anything.
Channeling my inner Stenson and using 3 wood off the tee.
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 S
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 85H X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200

Bettinardi Queen B 8 35.25" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord w/ 4 wraps under top hand

9

#10 jasonp87

jasonp87

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
  • Joined: 10/23/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostTheLetterSee, on 11 June 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

If it helps at all, my Rogue Silver was a free upgrade straight from Taylormade for a custom order M2. It wasn't a pull or anything.

That's the definition of a pull. It was installed on an M2 with a TM Adaptor which u now pull to use a cobra.

Driver-----Taylormade M3 (8.5*) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X 45"
3W---------Cobra King F6 3/4W (14.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 75 S 42.65"
5W---------Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5W (17.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
3H---------Cobra King F6 3/4H (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.5"
Irons------Maltby MMB-17 4-PW Modus 3 125X
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) Modus 3 125X/Modus 125 Wedge
Putter------Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" SS Midslim 2.0
Golf Ball--Pro V1, ProV1x, Z Star, B300RX

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 TheLetterSee

TheLetterSee

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 319097
  • Joined: 06/05/2014
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

View Postjasonp87, on 11 June 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

That's the definition of a pull. It was installed on an M2 with a TM Adaptor which u now pull to use a cobra.

No didn't pull to put onto a Cobra. I'm saying it broke in my M2. Just saying that this probably isn't simply a pulling and retipping issue.
Channeling my inner Stenson and using 3 wood off the tee.
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 S
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5* - Aldila Rogue Black 85H X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 Black Shamrock LE - 50, 54, 58 - Tour Issue DG S200

Bettinardi Queen B 8 35.25" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord w/ 4 wraps under top hand

11

#12 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostKRW59, on 11 June 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

View Postjasonp87, on 11 June 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

This is no coincidence then. I had the exact same thing happen to my rogue black and rogue silver. Both were pulls from a Titleist that I threw into my cobra F6+ it's gotta be the way Titleist preps vs the cobra Adaptor or something I swear.

Titleist has a longer tip prep for their adapter/ ferrule combo.
When moving a shaft from a Titleist to a Cobra adapter I always
tip the shaft .25" to .5" to get the prep area below the top edge
of  the adapter. Also deburr the inside edge of the adapter just
to be safe.

.

ok cool wish i would have known this before! LOL. I will remember if i do a pull but going to try a brand new shaft now first


View Postckay, on 11 June 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

I stopped playing pulls for this reason

Yeah that is why i got the uncut new rogue to try to see if the pull was the issue

View PostOffTheDole, on 11 June 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

I had a Diamana 'ahina that cracked inside a Cobra adapter in my LTD. It was a pull from a Ping Anser I had before (I liked the shaft).

Haven't had any trouble with the new shafts I've put in the head since, a Fujikura Speeder Evo Tour Spec 7.2 and an Atmos Black.

Like ckay said, avoiding pulls will probably save you the hassle.

Interesting glad to hear i am not the only one i guess!
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

12

#13 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

Finally got the OEM tip in from cobra. Do i tip the rogue 1 or 2'???
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

13

#14 KRW59

KRW59

    Hoarder

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405842
  • Joined: 12/16/2015
  • Location:Southwestern Missouri
  • Handicap:4.9
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

The Rogue silver 8X is a stout shaft. Usually tip it only for aggressive swings / .5" for swing speeds 115 to 120mph / 1" for 120+

The Rogue Black I would tip .5" for 110 to 115mph / 1" for 115 to 120.
Over 120mph there are usually  other shafts that work better.

1 to 2 feet would be just a liittle excessive. ....
Cobra King F8 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
TEE EX10 19* / Attas 4U 7-S
TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-X
TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 95-X

Adams XTD Forged / 28* 6 iron thru 44* pw
Recoil Prototype 95 F4 / Soft stepped twice

Piretti Forged wedges             Piretti Putters in rotation
48* / Recoil 110 F4               1/1 GSS High toe,deep faced Potenza II
53* / Recoil 110 F4               Murdered Savona 2 Elite
58* / Recoil 125 F4               Workshop #1 of 2 GSS Capri

               Flask - Crown Black

14

#15 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

View PostKRW59, on 18 June 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

The Rogue silver 8X is a stout shaft. Usually tip it only for aggressive swings / .5" for swing speeds 115 to 120mph / 1" for 120+

The Rogue Black I would tip .5" for 110 to 115mph / 1" for 115 to 120.
Over 120mph there are usually  other shafts that work better.

1 to 2 feet would be just a liittle excessive. ....

Haha oops typo that would be insane!

Aldila recommends tipping 1" and I swing 110 ish with a harsher/quicker transition hence the stout shaft. Didn't know if I should tip more then their recommendation

http://www.aldila.com/rogue-black/

Edited by luke1333, 18 June 2017 - 09:13 PM.

Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

15

#16 KRW59

KRW59

    Hoarder

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405842
  • Joined: 12/16/2015
  • Location:Southwestern Missouri
  • Handicap:4.9
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:48 AM

View Postluke1333, on 18 June 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostKRW59, on 18 June 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

The Rogue silver 8X is a stout shaft. Usually tip it only for aggressive swings / .5" for swing speeds 115 to 120mph / 1" for 120+

The Rogue Black I would tip .5" for 110 to 115mph / 1" for 115 to 120.
Over 120mph there are usually  other shafts that work better.

1 to 2 feet would be just a liittle excessive. ....

Haha oops typo that would be insane!

Aldila recommends tipping 1" and I swing 110 ish with a harsher/quicker transition hence the stout shaft. Didn't know if I should tip more then their recommendation

http://www.aldila.com/rogue-black/

If I read the Aldila tipping instructions correctly, they were
recommending 1" tipping for fairways.  At your speed and swing
style I would start at .5" , I like to error on the soft side,
can always tip a little more later if needed.
Cobra King F8 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
TEE EX10 19* / Attas 4U 7-S
TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-X
TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 95-X

Adams XTD Forged / 28* 6 iron thru 44* pw
Recoil Prototype 95 F4 / Soft stepped twice

Piretti Forged wedges             Piretti Putters in rotation
48* / Recoil 110 F4               1/1 GSS High toe,deep faced Potenza II
53* / Recoil 110 F4               Murdered Savona 2 Elite
58* / Recoil 125 F4               Workshop #1 of 2 GSS Capri

               Flask - Crown Black

16

#17 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:01 AM

View PostKRW59, on 19 June 2017 - 03:48 AM, said:

View Postluke1333, on 18 June 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostKRW59, on 18 June 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

The Rogue silver 8X is a stout shaft. Usually tip it only for aggressive swings / .5" for swing speeds 115 to 120mph / 1" for 120+

The Rogue Black I would tip .5" for 110 to 115mph / 1" for 115 to 120.
Over 120mph there are usually  other shafts that work better.

1 to 2 feet would be just a liittle excessive. ....

Haha oops typo that would be insane!

Aldila recommends tipping 1" and I swing 110 ish with a harsher/quicker transition hence the stout shaft. Didn't know if I should tip more then their recommendation

http://www.aldila.com/rogue-black/

If I read the Aldila tipping instructions correctly, they were
recommending 1" tipping for fairways.  At your speed and swing
style I would start at .5" , I like to error on the soft side,
can always tip a little more later if needed.

Wonder how much my titliest driver shaft also a rogue 80x is tipped from the factory. I think it's an inch too
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

17

#18 KRW59

KRW59

    Hoarder

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405842
  • Joined: 12/16/2015
  • Location:Southwestern Missouri
  • Handicap:4.9
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Titleist D-2 heads launch higher/ spin more than the King Ltd. .

You could probably install a Rogue Black untipped in the Cobra
head and still get lower launch / less spin than the Rogue tipped
an inch installed in the D-2 Titleist heads.

Edited by KRW59, 19 June 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Cobra King F8 10.5* / Fuji Diamond Speeder 5-SR
TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
TEE EX10 19* / Attas 4U 7-S
TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-X
TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 95-X

Adams XTD Forged / 28* 6 iron thru 44* pw
Recoil Prototype 95 F4 / Soft stepped twice

Piretti Forged wedges             Piretti Putters in rotation
48* / Recoil 110 F4               1/1 GSS High toe,deep faced Potenza II
53* / Recoil 110 F4               Murdered Savona 2 Elite
58* / Recoil 125 F4               Workshop #1 of 2 GSS Capri

               Flask - Crown Black

18

#19 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

View PostKRW59, on 19 June 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

Titleist D-2 heads launch higher/ spin more than the King Ltd. .

You could probably install a Rogue Black untipped in the Cobra
head and still get lower launch / less spin than the Rogue tipped
an inch installed in the D-2 Titleist heads.

That is true but I like the tighter feel and dispersion
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

19

#20 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Well it happened again!!!!! Brand new uncut Rogue 80X and a brand new Cobra LTD adapter straight from Cobra! Second hole, yes the second hole I used it on, boom there goes the head! No idea what is going on! I put the head back in headcover and didn't even look at it much. Hope it isnt damaged! I was disgusted! I am tired of this! See photos. Ball was hit on both shots in middle of face so nothing off the hosel or anything like that, that might cause this issue. On a side note i have been using a black tie i got the driver with (stock shaft) but it is a little light and whippy but 3 rounds or so with it and no issues at all! I think this shaft is cursed in the ltd!



Posted Image


Posted Image

Edited by luke1333, 21 July 2017 - 09:21 PM.

Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 nateyack

nateyack

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454090
  • Joined: 02/04/2017
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

That shaft doesn't appear to be broken, just looks like the epoxy came loose.

21

#22 Sparky14

Sparky14

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422722
  • Joined: 04/27/2016
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:sparky-14
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

Man, you are snake bitten! This is a strange saga. I have an LTD driver, and I've done mass swapping of shafts and adapters. I know the current shaft I am playing was pulled from another driver, then put into a Cobra adapter and used, then pulled the adaptor off and played in another shaft, and I recently swapped the adapter back to the first shaft. I have two other shafts on Cobra adapters that have been pulled at least twice. I haven't had any issues with any of them.

22

#23 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

View Postnateyack, on 21 July 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

That shaft doesn't appear to be broken, just looks like the epoxy came loose.

Correct I'm having it redone by a different place and head is fine. No idea how honestly

View PostSparky14, on 21 July 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Man, you are snake bitten! This is a strange saga. I have an LTD driver, and I've done mass swapping of shafts and adapters. I know the current shaft I am playing was pulled from another driver, then put into a Cobra adapter and used, then pulled the adaptor off and played in another shaft, and I recently swapped the adapter back to the first shaft. I have two other shafts on Cobra adapters that have been pulled at least twice. I haven't had any issues with any of them.


That's crazy I just have no luck with these and I love the driver!!! Played it again today with the factory matrix x stiff shaft and no issues!!! This is crazy
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

23

#24 Jasonic

Jasonic

    Gamer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Joined: 09/25/2013
  • Location:Queens NY
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 2118

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

I've played many shafts in mine with no issues. Pulls included.
2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 13.5* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

24

#25 nattybohknows

nattybohknows

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413022
  • Joined: 02/21/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:32 PM

I had a titleist pulled tour green in my fly z I got off of WRX that split at the range prior to a round and after using it for 9 holes. Thankfully I didn't pay much for it (still pissed I lost money) I've had two other shafts in it that haven't had any issues both were off of cobras pulls though a red tie from an f6 and the stock rogue black from an ltd.


25

#26 Dpavs

Dpavs

    OverWRX'ed

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 1952

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

I have had this happen with a new shaft and a new adapter twice now and both were with Callaway heads and adapters for me. The issue both times was inadequate tip and adapter prep. Both parts need to be sanded and roughed up very well in order for the epoxy to create a very reliable bond.  Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but like I said, I had this happen two times myself. Also just to be clear each time the installation was done at a reliable facility but what they thought was enough prep turned out to be insufficient.

26

#27 luke1333

luke1333

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303557
  • Joined: 03/24/2014
  • Location:Liberty Township
  • Ebay ID:33luke13
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

View Postnattybohknows, on 22 July 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

I had a titleist pulled tour green in my fly z I got off of WRX that split at the range prior to a round and after using it for 9 holes. Thankfully I didn't pay much for it (still pissed I lost money) I've had two other shafts in it that haven't had any issues both were off of cobras pulls though a red tie from an f6 and the stock rogue black from an ltd.

Crazy isn't it??? I just want this issue sorted out! Knew I couldn't be only one with this problem


View PostDpavs, on 22 July 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

I have had this happen with a new shaft and a new adapter twice now and both were with Callaway heads and adapters for me. The issue both times was inadequate tip and adapter prep. Both parts need to be sanded and roughed up very well in order for the epoxy to create a very reliable bond.  Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but like I said, I had this happen two times myself. Also just to be clear each time the installation was done at a reliable facility but what they thought was enough prep turned out to be insufficient.

Yeah this tip that came off looked like bad prep to me honestly. Shouldn't the shaft be all black??? White paint still on it probably caused it to not adhere properly
Titleist 917 12° Rogue 80x/Cobra LTD Rogue 80x
Titleist 915fd 15° Diamana 80x
Titleist 816 19° Diamana 90x
Irons 690s & MP18s?
Vokey SM7 52F,56S,60K
Scotty Cameron Golo 6 (Backups: Piretti Potenza II, Circa #3 & Ping Karsten Pal)
WITB Link

27

#28 81PING

81PING

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210015
  • Joined: 11/05/2012
  • Location:Ontario
  • Ebay ID:mattykracks
GolfWRX Likes : 528

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:51 PM

View Postluke1333, on 22 July 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

View Postnattybohknows, on 22 July 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

I had a titleist pulled tour green in my fly z I got off of WRX that split at the range prior to a round and after using it for 9 holes. Thankfully I didn't pay much for it (still pissed I lost money) I've had two other shafts in it that haven't had any issues both were off of cobras pulls though a red tie from an f6 and the stock rogue black from an ltd.

Crazy isn't it??? I just want this issue sorted out! Knew I couldn't be only one with this problem


View PostDpavs, on 22 July 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

I have had this happen with a new shaft and a new adapter twice now and both were with Callaway heads and adapters for me. The issue both times was inadequate tip and adapter prep. Both parts need to be sanded and roughed up very well in order for the epoxy to create a very reliable bond.  Not sure if that is what you are experiencing but like I said, I had this happen two times myself. Also just to be clear each time the installation was done at a reliable facility but what they thought was enough prep turned out to be insufficient.

Yeah this tip that came off looked like bad prep to me honestly. Shouldn't the shaft be all black??? White paint still on it probably caused it to not adhere properly

It is prepped poorly...but it shouldn't cause the head to fly off...the prep isn't that bad. Now, if someone prepped the tip like that, I can only imagine what the adapter hosel looked like...
COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

28

#29 Davewn

Davewn

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342275
  • Joined: 09/28/2014
  • Location:West Des Moines, IA
  • Handicap:meh
  • Ebay ID:davewn62
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

I have a question for all those that have used Cobra OEM adapters (and done the reshafting work themselves):  Is the top of the adapter countersunk to provide an epoxy cushion?  Cobra's site only offers a side view of the Myfly 8.  I bought a couple of Chinese cheapies off the Bay, and while the adapter is all metal and looks the same, the top has no chamfering whatsoever.  I used one with an old PL Blue shaft that has been pulled a few times and certainly wasn't mint by any means, but was still solid (so I thought).  

After another really inconsistent day with the F6 today, I took a closer look at the shaft tonight, there was an almost perfect circle cut into the shaft tip at the top of the adapter- totally shot.  Pulling the adapter confirmed my suspicion that it had cut through the first few graphite plies and ruined the shaft.  Are the real Cobra adapters countersunk, and if not, how do they protect the shaft tip?

Thanks in advance!
Callaway RAZR Fit 10.5* Matrix Radix HD 6 S
Innovex RLS 17* 4 wood ProLaunch Blue 65S
Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4 Hybrid stock Litespeed R
Adams A7 5-PW UST Proforce 85R
TaylorMade 300 Series AW Dynamic R++
Spalding Cash-In SW 55/12 Dynamic S
Cleveland Tour Action 900 60* Dynamic Gold  
Ping G2i B60 34" putter

29

#30 fujiman.757

fujiman.757

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308257
  • Joined: 04/13/2014
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

Get away from the rogues buddy they are the only shafts ive seen break seriously

M1 440 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi white 65 05 flex
915f 15* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 05 flex
915h 19* Oban devotion 85 05 flex
Srixon 745 4-pw Nippon modus 120x
Titleist vokey sm5 TVD 50* dynamic gold tour issue s400
Bettinardi 54* and 60* s200 dynamic gold
Scotty Cameron limited button back 2008 edition

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30




Also tagged with cobra ltd, cobra, ltd, cobra driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors